/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi
tim.id.au/laptops/apple/powerbook/pbg4.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for chromebooks

second for babbys first T420 in the mail

third for babbys first x220 in the mail

new toaster coming in the mail tomorrow

My X220 arrived today and im haveing problems with it.
The Laptop just wont shut off. After 10 seconds of looking like it did it will turn on by itself.
What can be causing this?

Got mine about a month ago user. 8gb RAM version?

could be a stuck power button, could be set to restart on power loss in the BIOS, could be a problem with the embedded controller firmware. I would start by flashing the latest BIOS, and once that's done go in there and load the default settings.

BIOS has a setting that automatically turns the computer on if it's plugged into AC. See if that's checked.

Two other very unlikely scenerios are it could be a stuck power button or it could be receiving hibernate power-on signals?

i got the 4gb version, the price was good compared to the other listings i found. I may elect to upgrade components later if i feel it needs it. Quite excited to finally have a Thinkpad though tbqh

Is the X260 a good choice for college?

Are you putting Linux on it or keeping win 7? I had to buy the facotry recovery disks from lenovo

C-can I be a business laptop too user?

I'm not totally sure yet, I'd like to keep Win 7 but if I feel like it I might run a linux distro, I've run ubuntu and some of it's variants on my desktops and on my EEEpc before now, it really just depends how I feel about it once I start using the machine

The Bluetooth module (BCM2045B) on my X220 isn't working, although it shows up via lsusb. I would be appreciative of any ideas.

>Working Titanium that isn't beat to hell
How can this be?

$40 on ebay, the bottom panel is a bit loose around the battery and the area near the power port gets hot as hell, but besides that its just scratches. Debating on getting OS9 disks because i dont think that i can just copy it off my tower.

What's your cycle count at?

cat/sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/cycle_count

>bottom panel is a bit loose
Really not bad for it's age, it's hard finding an aluminum MBP that isn't completely destroyed for a decent price.

Yeah, I've wanted this laptop for 5 years but im a cheapskate. Now to get a clamshell iBook for under $80.

69% capacity of my poor 6 cell

You can get an X230 for much cheaper, and better performance too.

For college? You can get away with something a lot cheaper than an x260. If you don't care about having a 1080p screen on a 12' display, get either an x220/230, if you do care get an x240 and swap the trackpad with the x250 trackpad. The hardware from something as late as an x220 would probably be more than enough. The x250/260 are still carry a premium price for being new.

Just but a lenovo t530, I got the i5 version... Can I upgrade the CPU to the i7 manually? If so, do you know where I can find a guide?

197 though most of those are pretty shallow cycles. Unplugging it for 10 minutes counts just as much as letting the battery run down completely by that metric.

I did the same with a T60, so I hear you. /tpg/ just seems to be filled with destitute jews that are incredibly worried about resale value for some reason.

I'd be a little leery of swapping a whole T4X panel in. Hold off for somebody who knows for sure one way or the other. I swapped a backlight over from a dead T41 screen to a T60 screen once, but that's it.

The good news is the T60/p SXGA+ screen is pretty nice for a TN. It's worth the upgrade and perfect for the 14.1" 4:3 form factor.

I just found out that the problem only happens when the AC is unplugged.
If the PC is running on battery it wont stay off and keeps turning back on.

>Guide to swap a cpu

>/sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/cycle_count
cat: /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/cycle_count: No such file or directory

Is this the correct Mhz my ram should be?

The fuck? I have over ~230 cycles and 80% capacity left

It's running at 1333mhz 667*2, it's fine.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi

Okay good. thanks for input

Yes, and go find it urself

I'll do it for you 20 dollars

How old is your battery?
First use date of mine is four years ago, and I received it a year ago with that capacity. So I'm not responsible to whatever horrible things were done to it.

>Can't swap the easiest to swap part of a computer

Top joj

Wew, this was humorous, at least to me.
>muh thinkpad is thick meme

the hard drive is easier

Almost picked up a T420 on eBay for $70, then some autist came in and bid $102 in the last 3 seconds.

I have an X220 Tablet.

The ThinkWIki mentions a "ThinkPad Bluetooth Daughter Card with Enhanced Data Rate (BDC-2.1)" but I don't see anything obviously relating to Bluetooth in the device manager.

Any ideas how to find if I have Bluetooth or not?

what model is the black one?

if you don't see any unknown devices in your device manager, you most likely don't have bluetooth.

1154 cycles.

last_full_capacity/design_capacity = 33250/57720*100 = 57.61%

I got my X220T second-hand.

T420

I have pic related, but I can't imagine that's it.

Any recommendations on a BT card?

not as easy as your mom

Ah, forgot picture

>bought 9 cell a month ago
>already -5% on capacity

third party batteries a SHIT

I bought a shitty $15 chinese battery on ebay for my x61t that was shit, but I also bought a $20 Japanese battery on ebay that is practically as good as a real one.

fellow titanium book owner here, significantly thinner than my dell precision m4600.

Post some cool applications fampai, i have stuff on my g4 tower but its a pain to get off.

SO the plastic seperator on USB broke on my X220. I can still plug in USB drives, but they're very loose. Can I just glue that shit back on?

i haven't spent much time on it because i'm not familiar with osx. so far i have doom on it lol.

here's some specs. imported an airport card from america to eastern europe for this puppy.

purple shit and the smudge on the left are from my phone's camera, not the screen

the smudge on the right, fuck me

and here it is next to my 2003 thinkpad r32. 1997 thinkpad coming up

Have a HMM for when you need it.
tim.id.au/laptops/apple/powerbook/pbg4.pdf

Every time I hear my T42's fan kick in, it's like someone slamming on the gas in a Ferrari. Is that normal?

thanks sempai. have a 1997 ThinkPad 380ED

Pretty nice row the titanium part of it, as little as it did, at least prevented the CD slot from getting bent downward like the powerbok aluminum and MBP.

here, just took off the bottom to beat it into shape with a screwdriver handle. No dust at all on the heatsink or quarter sized fan (shits tiny). I guess this was a desk queen like my t420 was.

not available for **30 series and newer.
(Say thanks to Lelnovo for changing the way things are done.)

So how are the new chinkpads? I'm looking at a yoga 14 to replace my old x220.

this is now a powerbook g4 thread

Wait for the Retro ThinkPad

Maybe i should start a PPC mac thread.

Is it going to be 4:3

I'm on uni as we speak with it, it's great mon.

>Pimp cup
Kek.

Last I heard 16:10

Is it going to have an active digitizer?

No. It will be 3:2

197 here too.
last_full_capacity/design_capacity = 34690/57720 = 60%
second hand x220

im in italy. where can i buy an used thinkpad? when i search on ebay they all come from the us and seller wont ship to europe

search on local ebay/craigslist equivalents dumbass

It's a bitch to ship to Italy customs there has insane requirements. Like the company I work for has tried to pick up a distributor there but customs makes it such a bitch that it's not worth it for us.

I thought they couldn't get 16:10 screens?
Almost as good.

Dont diss my poor impulse control at 3am user.

Has there been ANY news on that? It's almost been a year.

I really hope so, that would be outstanding.

That's correct, it's either on hiatus, canked, or gonna have a 16:9 screen. Doubt they would go 4:3. We haven't heard anything about it for a while.

>gonna have a 16:9 screen
If they do this, they may as well not even make it.

This. T410 and earlier for life.

Which is the best thinkpad tablet? The 230t seems to have a different keyboard compared to the 220t and earlier models

x220t best bang for buck and better keyboard than newer versions imo

How exactly am I supposed to find one in like new condition? All the ones i see on ebay looked used to fuck, what the fuck are these people doing with their laptops?

Where can I find one that wasn't owned by a retard who throws his laptop around

I'm liking my X220T. I will warn that Linux has terrible touch support and unless an application explicitly uses the touchscreen, it just acts like a mouse. You might want Win10 if you actually want to use your touchscreen as a tablet. If you want to draw, that works pretty well

Where did you buy it from, ebay? Can you post some pics?

Might not be too popular on here, but the thinkpad yoga s1 is a solid option.

Just keep browsing ebay. Alternatively go with a refurbished model from newegg, you'll pay a premium but no guarantee of a very clean model. You'd be hard set on buying a new 5 year old laptop.

>thinkpad yoga s1
I would rather have a cool twisty laptop though

I just bought a x220i with a broken screen for $40 AUD from a local classified ad which apart from the screen is completely immaculate, not even a scratch on the rubberized finish. Decided to spend a little more and get a $98 AUD IPS display instead of a shit TN.

Pretty pumped for when my display arrives, going to be quite a good little setup, really love the 12.5'' size.

Too bad about the hardware though, but if it meets your workload congrats.

Yeah, eBay. It was $182 but you might be able to get cheaper. I wouldn't pay too much more. Here's some photos I just took with my phone.

Meant to reply to
2/4

Your laptop is a cute, very nice.

3/4
It's very thick and kind of heavy.