Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?

Now that the dust has settled, what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-steam-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was poorly marketed. I still have no idea what the hell it was.

ubuntu with sudo apt-get install steam

Debian

Nogames just like the PS3

Valve hasn't released a game in half a decade since Portal 2

Linux is not for games

linux has no games (zero games)

I believe steam OS is still not ready. Steam machines weren't marketed properly, and valve have to make their own machine and sell it properly.

There is nothing wrong with SteamOS
There continues to be more and more real games being added with linux support.

The problem lies in trying to sell Steam Machines before its got a fleshed out library of games.
Push SteamOS for 2-3 years and fill it with games, and then people would eat up the systems

It needs an OEM to put out a $200 box with minecraft on Walmart shelves.

People who want Linux+Steam already were,
people who want games on their TV just plug their PC into a computer
It's just that simple
I'm using Steam on Linux, and there's plenty of gaems :)

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

So I can't even use the lightweight steam os to play pc games that I enjoy? Fucking worthlews

Frankly, it's not going bad at all. Linux is slowly getting newer and newer games, Arma 3, CoH2, Divinity OS, recently some changes in Dirt Rally "linux build" were made (it's recorded on steamdb).

It's definitely not some kind of crushing commercial success that will fuck windows up all over, but it's going in the right direction.

Literally just Debian with Steam pre-installed.

The perpetual problem with gaming on Linux: driver support.

I tried to use this on my living room machine, but it wouldn't work properly with either the AMD card or the integrated Intel GPU.

Linux has no games, so why would anyone rush out to get a system for playing games that has less games than what they already have?

Hell, you would think with them trying to push Linux so much they would spend some time making sure their Linux Steam client isn't so shit.

Sadly I think Linux is on the decline on the steam stats.

Granted what else would you expect from Steam users?

>amd card
kiiinda possible, even though AMD linux drivers got better recently, those are still shit
>intel gpus
intel gpus are supported flawlessly in linux. are you sure it wasn't performance-related problem?

UWP is growing faster as a platform for big games than Linux is unfortunately.

AMD drivers already suck ass on windows can you fgfucking imagine it on linux

What went wrong...

1. Valve didn't release a video game that would have the OS shipped with it and marketed with it.
2. Valve didn't make a user-friendly manual of how to generally use the OS.
3. Valve didn't make a single picture explanation of the strong-points of using SteamOS over Windows and shit.
4. Valve didn't make enough, or any, marketing deals with various game developers to have the SteamOS logo run at the start of all games much like the Nvidia shit and such.
5. Valve couldn't handle proper marketing and couldn't properly relay, or construct, the point of the OS.

All in all, the management and marketing departments all failed.

which was 90% developed by hidden path interactive

>2. Valve didn't make a user-friendly manual of how to generally use the OS.
interface is so user-friendly you can't possibly fail after running it, as for running i guess there is no easy way to make foolproof instruction about formatting your hard drive and installing new OS on it
>3. Valve didn't make a single picture explanation of the strong-points of using SteamOS over Windows and shit.
maybe because there are no strong points for average joe? It's great for those "steam machines" because of gamepad interface, but except that it has no redeeming qualities
>5. Valve couldn't handle proper marketing and couldn't properly relay, or construct, the point of the OS.
i still think they achieved a lot, loads of devs did their linux ports for this less-than-one-percent of users. More, it's still happening, slowly but there are new ports being released

is valve even working on it at this point?

>plug PC into computer
Is that how babies are made?

fuck, meant to write plug into TV

yes
turn the usb around johnny

The very idea is retarded. Who the fuck would buy overpriced shit-tier hardware with pre-installed debian? It's a fucking simple PC connected to a TV with a fucking fully-standard debian and nothing fucking more. The only Valve innovation here is a Steam Controller and updated Steam user interface and that's it.
They should have pushed their controller as a stand-alone product. And maybe do some partnership with Canonical to do some Linux-related projects and try to involve some main game developers. But the very idea to make money on custom-build PCs with shit laptop-tier hardware charged at fucking cosmic prices was dead from all the beginning.

this thread maybe kinda belongs on Sup Forums

>The only Valve innovation here is a Steam Controller
pic related

holy shit, how stupid are you people

valve wasn't launching a new fucking console
SteamOS is insurance against microsoft going full retard and locking down windows 11
steam is a large enough platform now that leaving yourself vulnerable to getting shit on would be retarded

it cost pretty much nothing to develop/support and they can just shovel it off to whoever wants it right now

were you expecting a once-and-done release from valve? the controller was released and got patched into working even better, the steam link got released and got patched into working better, it only goes to stand that an OS (something that inherently gets updated to become faster and more stable) would continue to be patched to work better. i dual boot and try to use it over windows if i have a game thatll run on both just on the offhand that any crash data or performance issues im having might go towards it getting better. its ambitious - and steams always been good on community.

Have you been to Sup Forums? Besides this is a thread about an OS.

Nothing. It's still a great gaming OS and it becomes better as more Linux games are made available. Hell, just Valve making Steam for Linux and SteamOS ensured many titles would be given a Linux version and even things like drivers would be improved.

Furthermore, it was to protect Gabe and Valve against Microsoft pulling bullshit with Windows 10 and while people thought it unlikely early on, Gaben is proved correct with the win10 store being a horrific proprietary thing and games being released as opaque apps were you can't even see the game files a la quantum break and tomb raider.

SteamOS proves a Linux dev platform for gaming. The decision to make it not a general use distribution by default meant less adoption, but it does work well for a console like experience. I do wish they included media focused stuff like Kodi or whatnot to make it a great HTPC too from installation. Just as long as Valve continues to develop in an open fashion, their Linux offerings are successful.

B^U

Wanted to post this. There is no real advantage for the average user in using SteamOS, and Valve knows it. But every time MS builds a new wall around their garden, they can use that to gain new users. It's win win for Valve. If Microsoft behave, then nothing of value was lost. And if they suddenly go all Apple, they're basically doing Valve's advertising for free.

>microsoft makes windows 8
>gaben gets butthurt
>year of the loonix desktop, Le stem OS
>no games
>everyone stays on windows

Valve expected that Linux became his ideal gaming operating system without almost no effort from their part.
Valve didn't make effort to bring some order to the Gaming side of Linux land, or at least to their operating system.
They haven't marketed to developers what's is good of Linux gaming. Doesn't matter if Linux performs better than NT, they didn't assure developers that their shit will not came broke with a kernel upgrade, they didn't bet on Wayland but still believe in that zombie know as X.org, etc.

>nogames
I own ~500 games on steam and about 300 of them work on linux natively

the big problem is that anyone interested enough in pc gaming is just gonna get a regular pc, and they certainly wont install this as a secondary OS. If they wanted to play on a TV they'd just get a longer hdmi cable or something like a steam link

same with most shitty useless distributions; it should have just been a feature packed alongside a real distribution like Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, etc

It pretty much is just Steam+Debian

SteamOS?
More like SteamPOS

>PS3
>no games

Spotted the Jtag Xbox fag

You make a good point.

MS also has the Xbox live shit so they have incentive to fuck valve over

People are used to closed projects that spend their whole development time behind closed doors and then burst forth fully formed. So really the only thing that's gone wrong is the public perception of something that's developing and maturing in the open, but that's the only way to build a new PC platform that can compete against Windows. Steam for Linux launched without any library (over 2000 games now), without its primary Graphics API (only came out a bit over a month ago), and without drivers (Nvidia is the only one in good shape. AMD is rapidly getting into shape. Intel lags behind now even on open drivers where they previously had the lead).

Steam for Linux / SteamOS is and always has been targeted not at when they launched but at 2020 when Windows 7 is EOL. All the progress that they can make now is a positive step towards serving Valve against Microsoft as deterrence.

It needed 100% compatibility with every new release, and it was never going to get that.

It was doomed from the start.

This and normies who just play FIFA, are gonna get Xbox.

Gpu Drivers.
Xorg.
Most games are Windows only.
Linux on desktop PC is a nightmare compared to Windows or Mac. Just look at ubuntu 16.04, the worst release since 2006.

most desktop games are windows only *

most games are not windows only.

Released to early, they should have waited for Vulcan really starting to being used by game developers.

>Just look at ubuntu 16.04, the worst release since 2006.

What's bad about it. Installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and I'm happy with it so far

Nothing, it will be the majority OS for home PCs in 2 years

All in all you're getting an inferior platform altogether.

It's not like consoles which have their exclusive releases. It's just an overlay for PC games on an operating system that has directly less compatibility. Hell half of these linux games can be played on phones nowadays.

I still remember the retards screaming "valve is going to bring all games to linux" nigga what, they have like 5 or so plus mods. As if they alone decided which big releases were available on linux. They don't port these games themselves.

For a company that prides itself on supporting the PC community the stupid interface doesn't support 21:9 resolutions. The fuck is up with that? Also the gamepad is just hilarious. A good chunk of games available for linux would be best played with a d-pad but they pretty much fucked that up.

AMD drivers are so bad on linux you even get frame drops on your fucking desktop

We won't see anything serious until vulkan and only if devs port games to Linux. Problem is there's just too many distros. Fedora? Ubuntu? Debian? Opensuse? Arch? centos? Mint?

It throws people off trying Linux

Some of these are fairly similar. Ubuntu has been popular enough as the first choice for newbies.

this

I do my work on Linux at home and at the office. Every programming language and environment I could want (except for Visual Studio).
I don't even give a fuck about the W10 cucks and their spyware.
And I don't sacrifice gaming either.

Steam is running absolutely flawlessly for me.

Chivalry
XCOM
XCOM 2
Empire: Total War
Total War: ATTILA
Serpent in the Staglands
Kerbal Space Program
Invisible Inc
Halfway
Torchlight II
Talos Principle
Dungeon Defenders
Planetary Annihilation
Alien Isolation
Age of Wonders III
Antichamber
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Broforce
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro: Last Light
All the Valve games-- L4D, Half-life, Portal, CS: GO, Day of Defeat etc.
Wasteland 2
Wargame: AirLand Battle
Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
and a bunch of indie games

And more coming out every day. I literally have more AAA games than I can play waiting on me to get tired of the current batch that I'm having fun on. And all of them run quite well for me (binary NVidia drivers)

It's fucking awesome.

Saints row 3/4 work now.
It's not just games that were published for windows, allot are being updated to work with it.

Debian, Ubuntu, mint, are compatible. But people don't know that. That's the problem.

STOP MAKING A DISTRO A DAY AND PEOPLE MIGHT TAKE LINUX SERIOUSLY

I can count with my fap hand the number of games on that list worth an actual shit

>now
>a quarter ago

We're almost halfway through 2016, what new releases do we have worth even mentioning on linux? SFV? XCOM 2? Is that it?

Admittedly I'm not even sure, then again being halfway threw 2016, I cant name allot of games that have come out this year that I want to play/have played, so I might be forgetting/overlooking allot.
Because of Important programs, I mostly use Windows on my main desktop and the games are just a bonus pastime.

it's much cheaper to upgrade existing machine to play (newer) games, than buy new one just to play (newer) games.

Canonical just don't care about desktop anymore. They are focused in phone's and other things. Zero improvements in 4 years. Still using unity 7 with compiz. Still using the retarded gnome software.

Tried ubuntu xenial. Loots of problems with packages, suspend not working,black screen with nvidia drivers, etc. And it's a LTS.

The fact of flavors (mint,mate,kubuntu,xubuntu) being better than the main ubuntu is the proof.

Its Debian not ubuntu

steamos is awesome, im glad such progress is being made. steamos makes it REALLY easy for any idiot to get into linux. it installs the graphics drivers for you and makes games just a point and click experience.

That's like saying Kodi makes it really easy for any idiot to get into linux

It's just an overlay for games, videos and music. Hell it's not even good at the last two.

okay, kodi isnt an OS so idk how that makes any sense. are we talking about steamos being the fork of debian or are we talking about big picture mode?

I really wouldn't recommend using steamos to 'get into linux'.

i guess that was too much for most people. i would recommend it for a gamer, though. face it, graphics drivers are not the easiest thing to install that you can always point to a guide and say "do this" and it will work

Ubuntu installed everything for me, even my SAS controller. Ubuntu has the advantage of having a massive userbase and thus answers to pretty much any issue on the internet.

i havent used ubuntu since 12. if they install graphics drivers automatically and correctly (most of the time) and have steam in the default repo, then you're right, ubuntu is the best for a newb. but you cant deny valve is helping the scene with the support they show for that open source direct x whatever its called.

nogaems, plus freetards don't care about games (too busy ricing linux and watching anime) and gaymers don't care about freedom and only care if something justwerks.

Not only that, at least it's an usable OS. It has far more functionality than just games.

On the other hand, let's go with one of those stupid SteamOS machines

>I'm gaymur
>I want to play the latest AAA releases
>I don't want anything complicated
>Guess I'll buy a PS4/Xbox One

>I'm gamurhrrr
>I want all games
>I can handle a mouse. I know what a mouse is. I know what a keyboard is. And I know how to install an .exe file
>I guess I'll buy a PC with windows

>I have no self respect
>I'll buy a half assed PC with an OS that can only do games and -some- media
>I won't be able to play half the shit that's out on the market
>For a higher price than a PS4/Xbox One
>Only because I don't know how to deal with a computer in 2016
>Gee this is fucking great

>Sadly I think Linux is on the decline on the steam stats.
The stats are misleading though because its percentage of total steam users and steam itself has insane growth.

I'm too tired to do proper math, but assume total steam users grows by 1% one month, and linux users grow by .5% the stats will show a decline in linux users by total steam users.

Can you even install Steam on Ubuntu 16.04?

It gave me weird errors about certain 32-bit library package not being available on apt, then refused to install when I tried last week.

Yeah the amount of forks is what puts people off moving to linux because the choices make it scarier, I was in the same boat up until a few months ago. They should have just teamed up with ubuntu or something.

>linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-steam-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus

Was that hard?

Pretty much this.

Shouldn't the Steam installer be able to do this automatically?

On AMD cards though, for a long while (hell, the last 2 years I think) installing steam on ubuntu would require first opening up the installer, then deleting a library, then opening it up again, then deleting another one.

Every fucking time.

what the actual fuck. i just do sudo apt-get install steam on a fresh system (with nvidia drivers) and it works.

I don't use steam so I wouldn't know. Just baffles me however that people wait 10 minutes to get a response from a mongolian basket weaving forum instead of just googling for 3 seconds.

I have yet to come across something I couldnt solve with googling and I threw myself in the deep end going straight to ubuntu server without DE.

just use apt
sudo apt install steam

>someone mentioning a task that should be obvious to complete isn't obvious (i.e. pointing out failure of software design) means this person is a lazy fuck begging for help on Sup Forums

linux.

the same thing that always goes wrong with valve things. They half ass something realize it's shit and then lose interest.

Just sayin senpai

It's combining the worst aspects of both pc gaming and console gaming.

since when is this a thing master?

A while now

Hey, I solved the AMD card issue by googling it.

It's just not supposed to behave that way if they're going to claim "oh yeah this is just put it in and it works"

Steam has been in the repos for years

>It's just not supposed to behave that way
Well yeah it sounds far from user friendly, depends as to what exactly the reason for it is though as they might not be able to do anything about it right now.

It's getting better but linux isn't ready for mainstream gaming unless all your titles and hardware happen to have decent compatibility.

It's come a long fucking way though since I fucked around with knoppix live CDs 10+ years ago. Hopefully muh vulkan will make things even easier.

it has the overwhelming majority of the top games on steam, and at least half of the games on steam are steamOS compatible at launch

the problem is that valve handed off hardware responsibilities to a bunch of third parties that made boxes that were significantly more expensive and less powerful than the PS4\XBone. the same vendors then sold windows versions of their steam boxes for the same price as the steamOS version, even though windows licenses start at ~$100.

so, the casuals didn't buy into steamOS hardware, and the hardcore linux users just kept using whatever linux they were using

part of me wonders whether valve ever intended steamOS to be a serious OS or whether it was simply a way of threatening microsoft with 'if you start fucking with steam on windows then steam users will switch to steamos'. it all started around the time of windows 8, with the windows store, and valve worrying that microsoft were going to try and bully them out of windows store.

hell, who knows, maybe microsoft would have tried by now if not for steamos.

>the problem is that valve handed off hardware responsibilities to a bunch of third parties that made boxes that were significantly more expensive and less powerful than the PS4\XBone. the same vendors then sold windows versions of their steam boxes for the same price as the steamOS version, even though windows licenses start at ~$100.

Holy fuck what a bunch of cunts. Don't get me wrong I didn't think steamos would steamroll the market but that move just fucked steamos from the start.

This.

Fucking hell.

Microsoft is still trying in their little corner with these xbone to PC releases.

Also overwhelming majority, I'd like to look at the top sellers again. Most of them are Windows exclusive. No man's sky, FO4, GTA V, Dark Souls 3, Doom, TW:Warhammer, those remain Windows exclusive. We still have plenty of new releases that don't support SteamOS at all. Shit, the witcher 2 got a crappy port to linux, the team in charge of that got pissed and 3 remains Windows exclusive. How many people gave a single shit about saints row IV when it was ported?

>windows 7 no dx12
>most new titles are beyond shit
>linux isn't ready as a total replacement yet
>vulkan might still faceplant because reasons

Time to grow up and stop gaming I guess.

Or upgrade to w10 you fucking retard.