pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra.73755/
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xash3d_ptitseb
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.diablo2
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=serioussam1_ptitseb
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=jediacademy_ptitseb
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=rtcw_ptitseb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>ARM

I've been lurking the forums for about a year. I'm considering whether or not to preorder it, or wait to see if the first batch will have any uncaught issues.

Fuck off weeb filth. It has a replaceable CPU board, and an x86 cpu board for it will come out in no time. Also, why the fuck do you need x86 on mobile?

Wait for the GPD WIN instead. It has more RAM and an x86 processor.

smartphones exist, so whats the point?

Saved

chances if you're getting one of these it's not because of the power, but rather the build quality

It'd make much more sense to wait for the gdp win then. No point in buying a piece of shit and then paying more later to make it half usable.

Also the form factor is meant to be for an UMPC and an x86 processor is a requirement especially if you want to run the desktop version of windows (and loonix too).

>memeposting
Fuck off back to /trash/. You fags are the cancer killing Sup Forums. You're worse than arch linux fags.

> It has more RAM
Pyra has 4GB now.

GPD has a horrible keyboard, a capacitive screen which means no precision. It will be a pain to install linux on it, the hardware is not upgradable, the case is absolute shit made out of horrible chink plastic and the possible internal storage is laughable.

How is the Pyra upgradable?

>We want to make sure you will be able to use your Pyra for a long, long time.
>That's why we built it in a modular way, with three PCBs:
>
>* The CPU-Board (CPU, RAM and storage)
>* The Mainboard (all ports, Wifi and Bluetooth)
>* The Display-Board
>
>If a more recent CPU becomes you don't need to buy a completely new unit, but only a CPU board and replace it.

From the official website. The CPU board has RAM and GPU on it as well.

Wow, never seen or heard of this, will definitely keep a look out for this.

>330,00 €

Pyra is also more expensive

4GB RAM/64GB internal + microsd slot GDP WIN is $330 btw. You can pre-order one for that amount right now but shipping won't start until October 2016 though.

~$700 for the 2GB RAM pyra?!
topkek

I guess I'll look forward to upgrading it

>* Pyra Standard Edition, 2GB RAM: 500 EUR without VAT (=595 EUR incl. VAT)

>* Pyra Standard Edition, 4GB RAM: 529,41 EUR without VAT(=630 EUR incl. VAT)

>* Pyra Mobile Edition, 2GB RAM: 600 EUR without VAT(=714 EURincl. VAT)

>* Pyra Mobile Edition, 4GB RAM: 626,05 EUR without VAT(=745 EUR incl. VAT)

DOA
O
A

>what is a niche audience

Very very few people would want this turd. You know the shitty angry birds processor is a dual-core? Even $30 android phones have better processors than this joke.

Well that sucks. Got excited over nothing.

It's true, phone hardware has surpassed this device easily. But I can't run debian on a $30 phone without massive problems

RIP in Peace, iControlPad 2
The only thing I'd ever need

So you're okay with paying ~$700 if it means you can run debian on a portable devoce despite it literally having worse performance than $30 android phones?

I thought Sup Forums was full of autists not retards.

Except it won't have worse performance.

I'm probably not going to get one friendo, but to say that a $30 phone does everything this device can do would be stupid, and I've seen niche devices sell for a lot more than this one.

They already have 500 preorders + 200 pre-preorders

It literally will. 2 * A15 ARM cores running at 1.5 GHz will have ~60% the performance of 4 * A53 cores running at 1.2 GHz found on $30 android phones.

Autists are the biggest retards, the person you're responding to has dumb points and is not very competent but are you seriously questioning the point of this device?

If you don't understand why this device is expensive(small market so they can't secure tons of preorders, etc) then you're pretty dumb and should stop posting your opinions.

I get the feeling they're lying about how many pre-orders they got. I just don't see who would buy one.

>Autists are the biggest retards, the person you're responding to has dumb points and is not very competent but are you seriously questioning the point of this device?
Not really. Autists pay attention to detail and are less likely to be ripped off than most people. What's the point of this device? It's has less performance than $30 android phones and can't run x86 linux distros.

>If you don't understand why this device is expensive(small market so they can't secure tons of preorders, etc) then you're pretty dumb and should stop posting your opinions.
But the price that they are asking is for one batfuck insane. I get that not many will order one but still man ~$700?!

It's all about software. Have you tried switching from xp to some linux distribution on some old laptop? The difference between android and optimized debian will be even greater.

>can't run x86 linux distros.
wut. This is not a problem, you can get most distros for ARM with ease.

I'm not that guy, I agree that it's too expensive. I'd rather chroot debian onto an android phone.

They are not, check out the forums.

You've clearly never met anyone with Autism and subsequently have no clue what typically defines someone as "autistic" outside of internet memes.

>What's the point of this device?
To be a UMPC, and it has really good build quality. Sure it is lacking in power but for what most people will use it for it's going to work just fine especially with many software optimizations.
Even if you need it to be more powerful than it is they've very cleverly made it so upgrading to a more powerful CPU etc will be possible.

>But the price that they are asking is for one batfuck insane. I get that not many will order one but still man ~$700?!
If they could they would make it lower, the reason companies can mass produce shit for cheap and therefore be able to lower the price is because they can guarantee selling fuckloads of units.

>But the price that they are asking is for one batfuck insane. I get that not many will order one but still man ~$700?!

You obviously don't know much about production. Read this: pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/how-to-calculate-a-price-for-the-pyra.73755/

I want one of these bad boys.

What's the best lil' mini computer like these to get?

Pyra Standard Edition, 4GB RAM for 529,41 EUR

Unless you live in EU you won't have to pay VAT.

For those wondering.

>Programming
>Disgusting tiny screen
Why would you do that to yourself, why not just get a laptop.

Well, despite the dragon in its name, it uses OMAP.

>Sure it is lacking in power but for what most people will use it for
what will they use it for?

Which one will be better for gaming?

> No fixed release date

Seems cool, but there's no way in telling when its actually going to be released.

They have several fully functioning prototypes. Should ship in August/September. They are not setting a release date because they don't want the shit storm if they found some issue they have to fix at the last moment.

Emulators, SSH-ing on the go, shitposting, watching youtube, listening to music, programming, etc.

Gpd win. But pyra is better for almost everything else.

Yeah but the price difference is fucking huge.

Pyra is better for emulation and the controls are much better on it.

If you plan to only play pc games get Gpd. Much better for this and cheaper.
If you have the money for it get a pyra.

If you want emulation then get the android gpd xd. It's quite powerful for its cheap price.

It's not as powerful as the pyra or the GPD WIN though

Of course I'm getting it. It's literally a freedom dream!

All of those done worse than a phone.

Yes, but for emulation only other thing they can emulate is gamecube and maybe ps2.

not at these ridiculous prices m8.

Getting one, got the dosh to spare, looks like a decent device for what I want it to do (emulation, on the go system administration)

I have alot of concerns with the GPD Win, it seems like they're trying to milk off the Pandora/Pyra by offering a device that is impossible to give with any decent performance by the price point. Surely a device with those features is going to cost alot more to manufacture?

The GDP Win is literally housefire and the specs are not high enough to make it viable to PS2 or Gamecube emulation. So It's as good as the Pyra, save for playing low-tier PC games, which the Pyra can also do - but only if notaz and ptitseb port them. I personally prefer that, because the Pyras OS respects my freedom and the ports are really really well optimized for the given hardware.
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xash3d_ptitseb
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.diablo2
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=serioussam1_ptitseb
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=jediacademy_ptitseb
repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=rtcw_ptitseb
etc etc

Gpd runs on a cheap intel atom. Theres already lots of these tablets at the 100-200 dollar range so their price of 300 is achievable.

Not to mention the Pyra is a lot better in terms of usability for anything besides gaming. I can't even imagine the struggle of using Winmeme10 with all its spyware glory as my mobile daily driver. And don't tell me to install Gnu+Linux on a baytrail soc. It's impossible and we all know it.

Finally, the price is what you have to pay for freedom. The Pyra is made in Germany and built from custom, premium parts. The software is entirely free as in freedom and the hardware is as free as it gets. If that's not worth the +250€ compared to the GDP Win then I don't know what is.

t. Schlomo Goldstein, Senior Shilling Officer for the DragonBox Company.

Its an interesting device for sure, but its stuck in a bad spot.
Purely due to its price, even if its an amazing device if no-one buys it it will remain a niche.
Which is a shame really, id like more of these devices being made.

The only phone with hardware game controls that I know of is the Xperia Play. Touch screen controls for emulators suck nuts, the games weren't designed to be played that way.
Few phones now have hardware keyboards. Go back in time far enough and you'll get something with similar specs to the Pyra

5" screen is smaller than my phone, and that's too small. Something like 6.3" with good panel would be nice for entertainment purposes.

Otherwise it's kind of sort of neat idea.

I really fucking want one but I would have to not eat for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully there are enough preorders to let me just buy one later.

Can I install Windows 10 on pyra

Yes.

Of course, good friend! Pre-order now to have your favorite Microsoft certified Windows 10™ device ready in a few months!

Um no actually $565 without VAT

You mean windows rt?

I know you're being a sarcastic little bitch boy but I'm not looking to run Linux on this when all my programs work on Windows.
thanks user.

You can only run Windows RT and applications that were compiled with ARM in mind, so pretty much none you use regularly.

With qemu, everything is possible :P. But there's also Exagear+WINE, which should be pretty usable. The OMAP5 supports VMs BTW, so you can run multiple Android/WinRT instances without Performance penalties.

People who buy into this sort of thing are the same idiots that brought into the Ouya kickstart.

>Nexus 10 processor
>resistive screen
>720p
>$900 United States Dollars
>Q4 2017 release date

L-LOL?

I'm you to either get the Pyra or GPD WIN because I'm homeless and it would be nice to get a little pocket computer to do my work in.

Look like the old Pandora handheld that was been throw around during the PSP homebrew era.
Is it the same people?

>but I'm not looking to run Linux on this when all my programs work on Windows.
then you better buy something else, pal

It's EvilDragon but no longer Craig (because he was jewing too much)

what are you guys even going to do on this? Code? Otherwise a smartphone does everything better

Everything.

>smartphone
>do anything
Nah mate.

>coding with your thumb on that shit tier tv remote button tier keyboard

Name what you can do that's better. Otherwise this is just a dumb investment.

Doing Real work, not play shitty Angry Birds and Facebook shittery.

514 preorders in 4 days.

>Doing real work
>On a tiny ass keyboard and screen

you fucking idiot

>I'm homeless and it would be nice to get a little pocket computer

hahahahahahahahah, And you're the exact type of dumbass that would throw his money away at stupid shit.

Ouya marketed itself as some kind of game changer in a heavily competitive and extremely expensive industry.

The Pyra just aims to be sustainable in a niche of enthusiasts. If more than 5000 of these end up getting produced, they will call it a success, believe me.

All you guys shouting that the Pyra is DOA and will never make huge sales are kind of missing the point. Or at least you're thinking too big.

We're talking about a team that has intentionally NOT made any kind of advertising when starting the preorders just so that the community forum members can get first in line. It's crazy.

Me.
Gonna replace my smartphone with that. My plan is to buy the standard edition + a dumbphone for 20 € or something.

Can you change to x86 since you can upgrade the parts? If it's just arm I'm not interested.

Don't forget it has ARM, so there is pretty much nothing productive ported for it.

not crippled android
real desktop linux
real keyboard
real usb ports
cpu can be changed easily
changeble battery

smartphones are degenerative computers. This is a real computer for the pocket.

Playing Games /Emulation with real Gaming Controls, surfing the Web with an Desktop-Class Browser, Libreoffice, Coding, SSH/Mosh -ing, Replacing my Laptop and Phone and having it with me all the time.

600 when counting the Pre-PreOrders

Give the community some time to come up with a phone software and you might be able to replace your phone with a Bluetooth headset

>If more than 5000 of these end up getting produced, they will call it a success, believe me.
I believe you, with that kind of price, they must have at least 300€ of profit itself per unit, so 1.5m € in the pocket would be very nice for them.

>The Pyra just aims to be sustainable in a niche of enthusiasts.

More like a niche for suckers who have too much money to throw around.

This

>stop enjoying things

Phones have real games, can request desktop sites, have real Microsoft Office, with Coding Environments and SSH apps all available.
The only "advantage" is the TV Remote-tier keyboard that feels worse than a on-screen keyboard to type on.