Most programming languages fall out of fashion and are forgotten within a decade...

Most programming languages fall out of fashion and are forgotten within a decade, yet C has remained relevant for 45 years because it has remained un-corrupted by feature creep, scope creep, or political correctness.

How does it feel knowing that people will still be using the C programming language 50 years from now?

Feels great man

>How does it feel knowing that people will still be using the C programming language 50 years from now?
It feels good. Long live C.

>tfw women and niggers and trannies can't into C so they can't sjwrape it
Feelspatriarchyman.c

What is C used for these days other than programming drivers?

Whatever you want, there's no limit really.

C's great but it's normally easier to do the same thing in java or python 90% of the time

Feels great. I started using C decades ago. No regrets.

A lot of great userspace programs are written in C.

Well, for gahnoo/loonix, bsd and other *nix systems which are functional without a gui.

C is much more comfy to write it, even if you don't have 50 million library functions available to you.

C is a cancerous meme language that sadly will never be killed, a drag to the progress of technology like x86 and microsoft.

>remained relevant for 45 years
C wasn't really used until the 1980s. Books written before the rise of Unix workstations didn't mention C because it wasn't notable.

Most books mentioned Fortran, Cobol, Pascal, Algol, PL/I, Lisp, APL, and SNOBOL so I would say C was less popular and less widely known than any of those languages.

I write my programs as shell scripts and then redo some parts where benefit is clear in C

R8 & subscribe

C++ or D next?

>cancerous meme language

I mean to put:
>cancerous meme language

I think you mean Ruby

Go will replace C.

C is eternal, everything else is dust in the wind.

Not even google uses go.
It has no future.

Do you ... not know how to delete posts, or something??

He does. I called him out on (You) fishing the other day and he deleted the thread.

>deleted the thread.
Thought you cant delete threads anymore?

I love Chitanda

Who doest? :3

Most? Maybe you'd like to give some examples. C++, PHP, Erlang, TCL, Perl, Ruby, LISP... they've all been around for over a decade at this point.

C is too slow, x86 assembly is less bloated and works like the computer works.

>less bloated
most of the time c translates to literally the same assembly. You can ignore std functions if you want and write using only really basic calls. Or also insert assembly pieces into your code

>Hey thinks C is hot shit because it was used for 45 years
>fucking COBOL managed to be to be the most used programming language for half a century even outperforming C during its high time
C is a meme programming language, just because some unix hipsters thought it was the hottest shit since their mothers period dosent make it a language people actually care about.

Most modern applications are written in a language ultimately derived from C (C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, etc). The same can't be said for COBOL.

How many new userspace programs get written in C?

>He doesn't write mostly inline assembly when he writes C
I bet you learned how to program in C from reading books/internet tutorials instead of just reading the documentation of the language

Because for that half a century, computers weren't very popular in homes and schools, rather they were used to alleviate corporations from hiring an army of girls to do complex calculations.

FORTRAN was used by scientists, think tanks and mathematicians

COBOL was used by accountants and businessmen

C was used by computer scientists, hobby programmers and university students

BASIC was used by children

Each language had their strengths and weaknesses and were the best at their respective fields.

Except something magical happened, for once standardization of an entire userspace occured and everybody started using C/C derivatives to program and everything else fell by the wayside.

there's literally no reason to use Go when Java exists. it's slower than Java (much slower than Java is than C), it's ancient garbage collector isn't nearly as advanced, has fraction of it's libraries and the executables are so huge you might as well ship JRE with your program

I write parts of my programs in C and then link them up with Shell Scripts.

Personally I code in binary because it is so much more efficient, my first hello world program only used 6Bytes of storage.

awful, 50 more years of shoddy 70s technology is terrible if we want to have any safe systems
hopefully more people will ditch it for Rust or just anything safer
although I will be the first to admit writing hacky C is probably some of the most fun you can have with a computer
dont forget, FORTRAN and Lisp are still being used for new projects regularly

pleb
I do all my computation by hand.
I just spoke 'hello world', no external storage needed

Nah the mods popped me, I didn't delete it

dumb tripfag cancer
go back to plebbit

c is not hardware specific you faggot

>there are people ITT who write applications in C in 2016