Average work day

Saw a similar thread a while ago.

What do you do? What's your average workday?

it's average

I work.

You can usually find me working.

I don't work

I work an average amount on an average day of work.

Fucking salesman, offering pieces of shit some pieces of shit. should end myself.

>get in the office at 7:55 AM
>turn on the computer
>wait 10 minutes for it to actually boot into windows
>open up firefox, outlook and visual studio all at once
>wait 15 minutes for them to start up and for visual studio to load the project
>start pretending to work the whole morning while I browse the internet while I damn myself for not being able to focus and get shit done
>lunch break at 1 PM
>back in the office at 3 PM
>repeat the morning routing while occasionally copypasting something from stackoverflow to convince myself I did something
>get off at 7 PM

every day

I don't know if internships count, but I'm just finishing up mine. I worked as a Android Dev intern through my sophomore year at university.

> Get to work around 12:30PM after morning classes.
> Have lunch with everyone there, talk about stuff that went on this morning and things they want to look into today
> Open up email, Githu Pull/look at new commits to projects if there are any. Review some, maybe merge.
> Team stand up meeting. Talk about stuff we want to look at that day, any blocks we are having. Questions, etc.
> Usually after lunch is a pretty quiet work stretch where we all get stuff done
> Code, work on new things, updating, pair with other student interns or devs
> Go home around 5:00

Interns get older apps that need to be maintained, but not any big projects that clients pay big $$$$ for. I've been working on an application for local police department where people can report tips, send alerts, whatever across campus

You can add Firefox, Outlook and Visual Studio to your startup folder.

doesn't change the fact that they all take 15 minutes to start up

i run make clean every time I want a break so i can have a half-hour to watch anime while the whole project recompiles on this shitty ancient P4 machine.

I do maybe 1.5 hours of actual work in the whole day.

>get in at 10-12 when I should be in at 8
>"oh hey user, finally coming in I see."
>"you know it."
>dock my laptop
>up and ready to go in 10 seconds
>health check my application servers
>if nothing is down I program shit to make my job easier so I can come in later
>if something is down I fix it then do the above

Nearly forgot, salaried and my boss refuses to make me work more than 40 hours a week.

I open a bunch of consoles and pretend to be busy most of the day.

Get to work at 10am
Get screamed at by customers about their viruses
Take their money
Take their computers
Fix computers
Give computers back
Leave at 5
Kill myself

>inb4 works at geek squad
Yeah. Yeah I do.
It's terrible.

>Roll out of bed 9am
>VPN remotely to work
>Check emails
>Get on a 3-4 separate 1 hour conference calls back to back. Sometimes if lucky will have 15-30 minute breaks in between them
>Boss is 3 hours behind
>Miss lunch cause all the restaurants around here are closed by my 3rd conference call
>Hope all conference calls are finished by 4pm
>Rush to get remainder of work done before 5-6pm

I'm a jazz musician..... Not kidding.

I'm doing my A-Levels. Looking to get into Hardware Engineering. Chip Design, maybe.

In addition to this
>coming in late had become a problem
>literally coming in at 11-2 every day
>performance review coming up
>noworries.jpg
>day of performance review
>get glowing reviews in every category
>right before I sign my paper for the raise my boss says
>"Hey user, if you could start coming in at 9, you would still be an hour late but it would be better."
>"Yeah that sounds easy enough."

What do you do and is your laziness tolerated so much?

I make pizza. I deliver pizza.

It's not glamorous, but it pays for all my shit.

probably not also sucking at his job

He just said it, he maintains application servers.
Laziness is always tolerated as long as the results are just as good as non-laziness

Wake up, get high, drink coffee and do an hour of work, back to poverty.

>Sysadmin
>Spend my day shitposting
>Doing a Nessus scan once a week

pic related

help desk for hospital talking to mostly women in their thirties to sixties with vocal burn (mainly the younger ones)

at least it pays decent for help desk, $19/hr

wake up at 7
go to best buy at 9
think about how much I want to quit
restock shelves with gaymer gear
sit there repeatedly touching blue switches
talk to some retarded customer
sell them a shitty overpriced laptop
boss gets mad at everyone for something
flirt with phone lady
go home
repeat

>tfw you work in the target Deli
Feels okay man

8 hours workday, effectively working maybe 2 hours tops.

Have horrible internet addiction so most of the day I'm just after cheap entertainment on reddit and Sup Forums. As soon as I get home I repeat the process till I fall asleep.

Fuck the day when I got my first computer.

>get in 9:30am, 30 minutes late every day. Every day e v e r y d a y
>in the mornings I do tech support at a somewhat big company, clean computers, fight viruses, set up skype for old ppl who work here, reboot computers... I excel at it, everybody loves me
>go to lunch and start to get nervous because...
>afternoons my boss makes me try to do some programming, because I study it at college
>going really bad at college
>don't get shit at work when "programming"
>browse Sup Forums and reddit until it's 6pm
>go to college

How are you still employed?

Dude, you work 25% of the time you're there?
It's a lot actually

Walk in, get my earplugs, safety glasses and gloves on, spend the rest of the day standing in front of a CNC machine the size of a bus and occasionally un-fucking it when it gets stuck on something.
On Mondays I do setup and programming, on Friday I do tool repair.

Sounds cool tbqh.

Got any pics to share user?

I started stealing at work just to spice up my life a bit.

I order shit that is not really needed, put it in storage for month or two to let it cool down a bit and then sell on local craigs equivalent. Sometimes I meet the customers at McDonalds on my way home, sometimes I just mail shit directly from office on employers expense.

This small side operation keeps me from totally drowning in depression. I plan getting some small 4x4 truck with long travel suspension with that money.

You're right man, never looked at it that way.

I was denied a job because of some nigger in your exact situation, ended up costing the company a lot of fucking money and they didn't have the resources to train anybody/hire. The interview even went great, fuck you faggot

> coffee
> open whichever IDE I need
> get my shit together and come up with a task list of sorts
> do a bit of work, break for dinner
> browse stack exchange and get distracted by the side bar for 2 hours
> realise I have things to do, do some more work
> go home

3 hours watching youtube videos, 1 hour lunch, 2 hours staring at what I did yesterday, 2 hours working

And when someone does inventory and notices the missing equipment with your name on all the purchase orders. What do?

Yep, I don't usually do any work until afte rlunch

Not allowed to, I run a BTB transfer machine and taking pictures of it is against company policy.

Basically it's a big white box, with a vibration hopper to feed it raw forging down a rail, which get clamped on a 10 clamp wheel, it rotates past 14 tools, including being pushed out, and rotates to hit half of the ( hence the "transfer" part )

It runs Windows XP with a sky lake i7 and 16gb of ram, on a 32 bit OS

Also only has a 16gb hdd for some reason. Takes like 20 minutes to boot up and get into the program, but it can stay up and running 24/7 for weeks if needed.

It has a 14kw power supply, almost enough to power a 980ti

I'll ask if they'd let me get a picture of the one which is shit down right now, since I think the confidential part is the tooling setup and the console itself

I play roguelikes over SSH because they look like work to my boss

In what world does my phone autocorrect "shut" to shit

>wallmarkt
>not having resources
you applied at a shitty company nigger

It was not a literal nigger, and it wasn't walmart. It was actually the very boss of the local store who was stealing, and I was talking to about employment. Pretty fucking ironic

>get to work at midnight
>operate a bore/crane/excavator for 5 hours
>eat
>operate a bore/crane/excavator for 4 hours
>go home
>eat
>sleep for 6 hours
>go to gym, go home and watch movies/anime, read books, make music, code random small programs and scripts for fun and shitpost for 7-8 hours until it's time for more work
Times fluctuate a lot, but that's more or less average.
Good pay and I get to be outside.
Fucked up work hours though.
I don't think I've has a normal day where I wake up at normal times and eat at normal times in 15 years.
Feels good man.

That is fucking incredible.

/diy/ would drown itself in cum if you get the OK to post the pics.

Thanks for asking!

i do some light php work and answer emails/texts/calls while i dick off

work@home life

do you listen to music while running the heavy equipment? I imagine it would be difficult to pay attention for hours on end like that.

>php
sounds awful tbqh

at least its not node.js

is node really that much worse? I've heard good things about it.

I was originally going to write a webbased scientific data analysis tool in it before we discovered some Python libraries that made it way easier.

I do but not a lot and om very low volume since I need to be aware of my surroundings.
When I operate bores I don't because it's so loud.
And it's not hard at all to pay attention.
Usually my shift is over before I know it.

Sounds great fám. Glad you found a job that fits you!

>up at 6
>struggle to take any kind of shit knowing theres no reliable bathroom at my work
>at work by 8
>up on tall ladders fixing and repairing houses
>buddy of mine fell 2 years ago, hit the concrete and died instantly
>every day could be my last
>thankful when its raining hard like today and cant work

What do you come to Sup Forums for?

/hpg/, vr shit

ladders are technology

>Get in at 6:30am
>Check last nights test suite
>Comb through the error messages to see if something actually broke or if the fragile piece of shit UI automation broke itself
>Check email
>Check JIRA for any changes in bug statuses
>Depending on what's going on that sprint:
>Continue manual device testing
>Continue writing manual test cases
>Continue writing automated test cases
>Bug fixing on UI automation
>Refactoring internal tools that the last guy coded like an chimp
>Adding features to internal tools
>Adding additional test logging data to tools
>Configure further environments to create templates out of for VM automated testing

>9am: Standup
>10:30am: Go smoke because head of engineering was an antagonistic ass, just like every other day
>12pm: Lunch
>12:30 or 1pm-ish: Come back, continue working on above list
>5pm: Go home
I love this job because I'm literally always busy, there's never not something for me to come in and work on.

Nah, you're not missing anything. My job is just horrible way to waste life away.

No inventory numbers or anything. Someone would have to trace it down by invoices and even if they tried there's no way to tell where something really ended. It's heavy industry, people just don't bother with paperwork for smaller parts here.

It all started when I slowly built gayman machine with parts ordered on company expense over course of few months.

Yeah, I'm really glad I dropped out of college and gave up on being a random codemonkey for some huge corporation.

if we were IRL bros would you give me the stolen part hookup?

>buddy of mine fell 2 years ago, hit the concrete and died instantly
Shit man I'm sorry.

how much do you make and how'd you get into this, famalam?

Nice man.

I hope I dont end up as a code monkey either.

Currently studying Electrical Engineering in the hopes that I can avoid CS later in life. But since my photography minor fell through due to some bureaucratic bullshit I've switched to a CS minor, which is pretty triggering tbqh.

You've described everything I hated about my last job. Glad there's people that enjoy automated testing, engineering crap, and JIRA though.

> go to workplace
> pretend I am working (software developer)
> split my non existing workload over the whole day to look busy
> write elaborate emails to people who are unavailable to clarify unimportant details
> go to meetings
> go to certification training
> people think I am diligent and involved
> haven't pushed code for half a year, not kidding
I believe I am part of a game show, like, "look at this lazy asshole pretending to work" or something.
It's impossible no one notices I am not doing any work.

self employed ishit repair tech, sysadmin
get into office at 9, browse Sup Forums, fix iphone or macbook at around 10, done by 11:30, go to lunch until 2, come back to office, package/ship out ebay orders until 4, dick around on 4 chan some more until 6, go home
>rinse, repeat

There's always a new test case that needs to be written, and I find it weirdly gratifying to get a test case totally automated and think "Now I never have to do that by hand, ever again"

I enjoy developing the internal stuff the most though.

My last company was a 50/50 split between people like you and me, and stupid people who would try too hard. There was this guy at work who was actually playing fallout on his computer every time I would walk pas this computer to get some snacks.

I have no idea how I managed to convince people I was a hard worker, but somehow it worked. Maybe my manager was too nice to say anything

>go to work
>at best 1-2h of actual work
>browse Internet for remaining time
>boss constantly walking past my desk but never seems to care
>take a1-2h lunch because why not

Life sucks when there's not enough work. It's like a cubicle prison.

Are you responsible for anything at all?
You don't have to answer to anyone?
Or even someone who notices that user hasn't written a single line of code in 6 months?

at good companies (like mine) they track your whole desktop, see if you're actually doing anything and not just having the program open, etc

>and stupid people who would try too hard.
did you mean
>and people who actually do their fucking jobs

Do you ever feel real guilty at the end of the day because you did nothing? This is my problem and I can't relax for a few hours after work because I feel like a piece of shit.

>good companies
sounds like hell on earth

>good companies
you mean corporate shitholes
A good company wouldn't monitor your desktop like you're a fuckin schoolchild, but they'd track your pushes and what work you actually did during retro at the end of a sprint.

$5179 and I got the work by doing internship for my dad and then took a long course to learn everything there is to know about huge machines. I think I was pretty lucky.
You don't really need a degree in photography to become a professional photographer.
My wife is a photographer and she's a literature major.

Fuck my sis is architect, her boss has like wall of 40" LCDs with desktop monitoring software. If you're idle for like more than a minute you'll get a call from him.

>A good company wouldn't monitor your desktop like you're a fuckin schoolchild, but they'd track your pushes and what work you actually did during retro at the end of a sprint.
What happens with that is you get someone doing the very least amount of work on the last day

Absolutely man, always glad to meet people willing to do something out of the usual channels.

Which is still pretty obvious.
Tracking how much your employees actually produce and what they're doing isn't exactly hard.

This is how everyone does it.
Are you a NEET?

Oh, and I should probably add that keynote always controlling big machines, I'm sometimes out and about doing measurements, directing other people and climbing in trees/mountains/going down holes in the ground/mountain with equipment.
And sometimes the workday us anywhere between 12 and 48 hours.
Never boring.

what are we talking for a full kit here
GTX 970 or similar
and do we have to meet in a shady back alley or do you want to come over and play some smash bros and chill

>out of the usual channels
Could have just said
>illegally
Whatever though, it's awesome you CAN get away with it but it doesn't make it right.

>go to work @ 12 or 2pm depending on the day
>whip out ipad and work on client projects for my personal business because there's only 1-2 hours of actual work at my first job
>5 or 7pm get home from first job, email some people, social media stuff, more work at my home studio
>11pm go to bed
Getting paid double and controlling your own workload is cool

How much do you make famjam?

i love php and it's my sole source of income for several years without having to have a "real job" :^)

>Which is still pretty obvious.
You end up getting junior employees doing this stuff on their first day, first week, first month, and it can go on indefinitely. This is how you get stolen from as a business owner.

checked

This is every job in corporate. Your boss does the same thing but makes more and attends more meetings.

do want

Pretty much the same here, although I'm not programming or pretending to.

>Get in our basement chop shop at 9
>Fix whatever needs fixin
>Get out to fix whatever needs fixin somewhere else
>Finish at 5 pm or later
>Sometimes stay late behind closed doors, polish printers and check disks for errors listening to future funk

The pc repair thing looks like a side gig to be honest, the real money comes from monthly fees for so called IT outsorcing, aka "oh lawdy lawd muh company ain't got da internet today somebody help". And so we help.

>In at 8:30
>Reject appeals for parking tickets if they have a foreign name
>Cancel tickets for British names
>Leave at 4:30

Iss it bad that I used to sleep at my desk from nothing to do?

Pretty sure my boss saw me do it once to and didn't say anything.

I still got my work done , but I just couldn't stay awake after lunch.

Doing God's work.

Unfortunately I'm (most likely) on the other side of the world - slav europe.

Also I can't really do shit like GPUs, that's too risky to pass as heavy industries equipment, someone still signs those papers in the end.

I kinda look at it as form of class war, would never steal from someone that has less than me but with this rich motherfuckers I don't have any ethical problems.

Say goodbye to your social life because once you get a taste you stop caring about everything else except making it

>Take bus/bike to workspace
>Boot laptop somewhere while the coffee machine is doing its magic
>Open IDE
>Work
>Music
>"Work"
>Get stuck
>Look to Stack Overflow for solutions
>My professor better have an explanation for this bullshit
>Work while brain and body are starved
>Eat
>Work