Why have the majority of people given up on desktops? Most people use a laptop and smartphone as their main machines

Why have the majority of people given up on desktops? Most people use a laptop and smartphone as their main machines.

Why do you think, OP?

Do you really not know the answer yourself?

2) Laptops/smartphones are available cheaper.

2) Users don't need the stronger computational power of a desktop, the laptop/smartphone suffices, so they prefer the laptop/smartphone for portability and compactness.

3) Subjectively finding a laptop preferable to use compared to desktop peripherals (mouse/keyboard/monitor)

Because they are easily manipulated idiots

There's more money in the normie market

>Users don't need the stronger computational power of a desktop, the laptop/smartphone suffices, so they prefer the laptop/smartphone for portability and compactness.

Pretty much this. I video edit and play 1440p/144Hz so I'm sticking to desktop for the foreseeable future.

hi Joe

source on image you fucking filthy nigger no offense ily

Try and find a decent price on a prebuilt desktop+monitor+speakers+keyboard/mouse that doesn't get destroyed in value by an equivalent laptop. It doesn't exist. They're already getting priced out of their own market.

this

I just bought an iMac though,

How about you build your own?

A good all-around PC that can handle whatever you throw at it, might only be $800 if you buy parts on sale. Also, a good mechanical keyboard is only about $50 as is a good mouse, a nice IPS monitor is about $200-$250.

So you're up to maybe $1100. That's nothing compared to if you want a decent laptop for m-muh gaming or graphical design. A laptop like that is probably $2000-$2500.

So basically you're paying double for portability. It's stupid. A custom built desktop gives you.

>More expansion options
>Unparalleled cooling
>Much more power
>Larger screen size
>The sanctification of knowing you built something that just werks

Laptopfags literally have no answer for any of those besides "b-but I can't put it on my lap".

A lot of people can't build a PC, or don't want to invest the time.

They don't benefit from it. Sure you can learn easily, but it's not worth it to a lot of people.

Also, there are quite a few people who would just never get a grasp on it. There are a lot of dumb people in this world.

I know a chick who told me with 100% truth if I sat her at one of the computers in our school and told her to open Internet, she wouldn't be able to unless Chrome/IE/Browser she recognized was on the desktop or pinned to taskbar.

She uses her phone, iPad, and a Macbook. She has no immediate benefit from learning to build a computer. So she doesn't learn, nor does she want to. Simple.

For the same reason people gave up on landlines

BECAUSE THEY'RE FUCKING OBSOLETE

Meanwhile you can have refurb chinknovo with Haswell on board for $400

Normies don't care about better framerates, contrast, cooling or build quality
They want their kikebooks and mobas to work

Also, backing up my previous point Not everyone has a computer for gaming/advanced editing or design.

For most all people, computers are Facebook machines. For most all people, a desktop is impractical because they can access YouTube, Facebook, etc from their laptop, tablet, or phone.

And a final add-on to There is another reason people want a laptop, not one you mentioned at all. Status. Most normies are status whores, just look at the sales of base model (no features or addons) Mercedes C-Class if you don't believe me. Better yet, look at the sales of Apple. People buy for the logo, because they want status.

To most people, a Macbook seems much more status oriented than a custom built desktop. And normies crave status.

This.

Even tech people will be full mobile soon and a server in the closet for computational power. Some nice low end prosumer server. Just for little vms and storage.

>docking stations

>To most people, a Macbook seems much more status oriented than a custom built desktop.
Not exactly true. A professional looking custom built desktop that doesn't look like a LED drowning gaymer shitbox tends to hold a lot of status to normies, actually.

I'd say it's more the fact that you can bring the Macbook around with you and parade your status to anyone around you anywhere.

The thing is, a custom built desktop only gives you status when someone comes into your home, not really at any other time.

I get that, I'm talking about the people who namely buy laptops for portability.

I'm not talking about normies, I'm talking about individuals on Sup Forums who boast about who portable their laptops are, and how "comfy" it is to have your computer on your lap. While claiming their laptop is just as good as any desktop.

Desktops have been and in my opinion, will for the foreseeable future, be the computer of the power user. I enjoy building and customizing my computer, I don't rice it, but having that option for expansion is always nice.

It's sort of like working on your car, the better you know how it works and what you have, the better and more confident you feel about building and working on it. I've had pre-builts in the past, nothing but problems.

I've built my last two computers, literally zero problems.

Most normies are excessively impressed by somebody who "built their own computer". It's only Sup Forums memesters and apple journalists who will call you a luddite.

We're talking normies here, dude. They can barely manage to get their PC through a week without turning it into a malware-laden hellhole, let alone build one from scratch.

>user, you spent your time and money making....that?
>user, you're such a geek, just get a Macbook like everyone else

Also, please show me a Professional Looking custom PC that is good, I haven't seen one without gaymer aesthetic.

Well, if you're referring to Sup Forums, you need to remember something. I am ballsy enough to say at least 50% of Sup Forums falls into one of these 3 categories.

-Student
-Child (aged 12-17)
-IQ of under 90

A college student is usually not in a position where he can easily have a desktop, so in his situation, a laptop is much more practical.

Kids are retarded and spout anything they hear to sound smart and try and get a reputation for being smart. Little do they remember, this is fucking anonymous and if you put on a trip everyone filters you. Most kids who need any decent power will need it for games, and they are at that cringe age where they will gladly abandon practicality and use their parents money for a Razer Blade laptop.

IQ of under 90...this one should speak for itself as to why they support laptops.

>sort of like working on your car
True, and how many people do that? Not too many.

>literally zero problems
As someone who has invested years and thousands of dollars into custom PC's I struggle to believe this. Maybe no major problems, but you are full of shit if you have had zero problems. (Unless you got your PC like a month ago)

Sadly, this is not true.

>>user, you spent your time and money making....that?
>>user, you're such a geek, just get a Macbook like everyone else
user have you left your house and/or talked to someone who isn't your parents for even a single time in the past five years or so? Literally nobody in the real world ever says this outside of baiting on Sup Forums.

>Also, please show me a Professional Looking custom PC that is good, I haven't seen one without gaymer aesthetic.
Just put it in a normal looking unmarked black box case. Normies jizz themselves over the idea that you made your own computer and think you're hot shit because they think it's electrical engineering tier shit or something, even if you tell them it's not.

>nobody in the real world ever says this outside of baiting on Sup Forums
Man I wish, but I've heard it far too many times.

I guess not everyone is blessed with the circle of friends you have.

>Normal looking case
Oh, sorry, the world Professional threw me off. Most professional builders love big windows so they can show off their cable management.

I don't really play PC games, so I never really had any need for a desktop.
I have a windows thinkpad which I use for my video production and music, and another debian thinkpad which I use for writing software.

Also, boyish hime a best.

>Man I wish, but I've heard it far too many times. I guess not everyone is blessed with the circle of friends you have.
My friends all built their own systems (or one of us built it for them). I get the amazement from the other people in the office I work in and from clients that I speak to.

>Oh, sorry, the world Professional threw me off. Most professional builders love big windows so they can show off their cable management.
I meant professional as in resembling something from a professional environment.

Because degenerates gonna degenerate.

Because laptops are like Desktops but with many upsides that desktops don't have.

Why build a stationary desktop when you can just get a Thinkpad t420 for $200?

me as the valley girl

Many people NEED a portable computer, and since a laptop can perform nearly as well as a desktop there's really no need for a second computer. Especially with wireless peripherals these days, there's no need to have a desktop just to print things, etc. The only real advantage desktops have is that they're often better cooled.

>since a laptop can perform nearly as well as a desktop

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
bait/10

Boyish is very cute

ONLY reason to have a desktop computer in the year of our lord 2016 is games, and sometimes not even then.

Because they can. It's not a slight against desktops, it's a compliment to mobile devices. They've gotten good enough for the majority of people.

My notebook with a shitty processor and ONE WHOLE PORT manages to be good enough.