How can I run Linux off of a flash drive without killing it with constant writes...

How can I run Linux off of a flash drive without killing it with constant writes? Is there a distro that's made with this in mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

offensive-security.com/kali-linux/kali-encrypted-usb-persistence/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Goddamn it Sup Forums pull yourself away from your anime wallpaper generals for a second

Holy shit, it's on every distro's wiki ever. kys

there's a bunch of things you can do, such as setting a large commit value on its filesystem mounts (specifies a max amount of time writes can be buffered in cache)

Get an USB3 flashdrive, those work internally like SSDs

pretty sure Kali Linux has this in mind, mostly for privacy reasons it runs very well from flash drive. Hell, you can even have persistance in the live USB: offensive-security.com/kali-linux/kali-encrypted-usb-persistence/

How poor are you to not afford a $10 flash drive every year IF that.

You're not going to kill a flash drive made in the past 5 years.

puppy Linux will run entirely in ram after being loaded initially off of the usb

Did last year with Bunsen labs installed on a sandisk cruzer
This sounds perfect thanks

Disable swapping

I remember puppy running fully from ram but it can't remember sessions.

Don't constantly write to it? lol

just don't write to it ?

welcome user, I personally use a 64GB USB 3 to run puppy on my college computers because win7 is so locked down there, luckily the IT Adkins are stupid enough to leave the bios unprotected.

kill yourself

kali is dead but now it has a successor, tails i think?

the fanciest method would be to use overlayfs, with the overlay on a ramdisk, then rsync the ramdisk back the flash drive when you're done
this way you only write the changes once during the whole session

No OP, you kys

Since when?

>Kali is dead
No
>Successor of Kali is Tails
No

Kali = Penetrating Security
Tails = Gaining Security

Linux is just a kernel.
You are just OP, a faggot as always.

It's GNU/Linux OP

Also gentoo is the best at this sort of thing

Make an initramfs and use a normal init system instead of a script.

>kali is dead but now it has a successor, tails i think?

Go be stupid on another board. Those two distros are not related. Kali is very popular.

...if u want spent 10 hours installing

debian8+xfce(--no-recommends)

Install the OS onto the flash, put /home on a different partition. Create a memfs and union mount it on top of the /home partition.

Any live version of any linux distro. Debian Live is the best one.

I have odroid-c1 running with sdcard about year now? Still doing fine.
I have installed kubuntu to usb drive, using tmpfs for /tmp but haven't done anything else to reduce writes.

Porteus. It only writes changes on shutdown.

kek