/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-x200-thinkpad-tablet-Core-2-Duo-1-86GHz-2GB-RAM-160GB-HDD-Linux-mint-/131754565202?hash=item1ead2f1e52:g:01UAAOSwpzdWrScf
ebay.com/itm/381169655824
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226688
aliexpress.com/item/Brand-A-LP125WH2-SL-T1-LP125WH2-SL-T1-For-Lenovo-X230I-X220I-laptop-LCD-screen-12/32588551926.html
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118070
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=84941
translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://thinkwiki.de/X200_Displayumbau&edit-text=&act=url
laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP125WH2(SL)(T1)/
amazon.com/Bplus-version-interface-ExpressCard-Length/dp/B00ZI33QLY
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-Tablet-Intel-C2D-1-86GHz-4GB-160GB-12-1-Windows-7-/301930613796?hash=item464c778c24:g:mKMAAOSwZVhWSgG3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

canadafag here, with our weak-ass CAD. what's the most cost-effective laptop that shows up on canadian ebay?

Now listen, what part of the word "business" do you not understand?

So is it pretty much impossible to find a NEW condition X201 for under $100?

How comfy are you today /tpg/ ?

Anyone have any experience installing the custom BIOS'es for the X220?

Any issues?

Nice to see your battery got in and you're enjoyin that!

I was doodling on my x220t during my tabletop gaming session and it felt gud

The "g" key constantly falls off my t460s. Anyone else with a similar problem? Am I just typing like a retard or is there some build flaw in this keyboard? The "claw" behind the key looks totally fine to me, so it isn't broken.

>nu thinkpads
kek

Pretty damn good, I got mine reduced for £60 and its totally worth it.

Comfy status: nominal

Can anyone here with a t420 comment on the battery life?
Also please mention if you are on Windows or Linux (and which distro).

Paid by uni. Why chose a t420 if you can get a brand new one for free?

I fucking love it. That Quadro is incredible for older games that often have compatibility problems with new GPUs, and it works beautifully with nGlide. It even has enough power to run rFactor, though the 2GB of mismatched RAM I've stuck in there is affecting performance.

The P8700 doesn't quite have the muscle for Whiplash thru Dosbox, however, but nothing will run that as smooth as a real DOS machine.

Tiny dab of superglue will fix it. I did it with the Enter key on my x230. No more issues.

Can someone help me find a good condition X200? It doesn't have to have an OS necessarily.

Because I'm not a
>nu male
>nu cuck
>res cuck
>specification cuck

>specification cuck
Cracker, do you even technology?

>Newer is always better!
Enjoy 1% performance gain for double the cost faggot.

Threadly reminder if you are using a Thinkpad that is newer than *30 you are a Redditor and should kill your kys.

>Not getting the same performance as an old midrange sandy chip in a newer power efficient chip and getting better battery life
Fag.

S-shut the fuck UP! BACK THE FUCK OFF?!

TFW W530 and X230 owner

You made the cut. Congrats.

I really wish Lenovo hadn't discontinued the ThinkLight, it was so much better for working in dim rooms and it had good enough keyboard illumination.

At least the notebook performance is stagnating so my i7 X230 will be powerful enough for long time.

>tfw T420 with thinklight
I'm going to use this baby forever

Nothing will ever come close to the glory of using Sandy bridge.

I'm not saying the i7 2640 and the QMs aren't a breakthrough, goddamn I had a crappy consumer laptop that was usable because of sandy bridge back in 2011, but they're 32nm cpus.

Lezbehonest for a minute. What is the big deal with using a 10nm bigger cpu, what's the real world difference.

The power usage, user, you can get a lower power cpu that offers similar or better performance, so you can run it cooler, i run the hell out of my laptop on adobe premiere, so it gets as hot as it'll get hot for a while when it renders.

>Elitebook
What's so good about it?
I'm seriously thinking about getting a tablet version Elitebook since it's cheaper than an X220/x201

Also, since you guys seem more knowledgeable about computers and boards and shiz.
Whoever designed and said MSATA should only have SATA 3G, is... stupid.
Clevo did this on my laptop and they didn't broke out the pads for the second 6G port on the chipset.
I only have an SSD on this laptop and 3G is fucking the performance of the drive, should I cut the traces going to the HDD and connect them to the MSATA port to have 6G there? What are the risks with signal integrity and shiz because of using just a crappy cable or should I shield it or use proper SATA cables?

I am very comfy today

I'm thinking of going to a computer store around here, and looking through the bargain bin to find an SSD for my x220. But it's kind of far away... Should I try, /tpg/?

Thinking about getting an i5 T420s with a 1600x900 screen for college this year. Thoughts?

What is the best IPS screen replacement model for an x220 (LP125WH2(SL)(B3) or LP125WH2(SL)(T1))?
And where is the best place to get that specific model purchasing from europe?

If it's an excuse for you to leave the house and get some fresh and then by all means.

I have a T420 900p and I absolutely love it. I get like 5 hours of battery life so you'll probably get more

This is in pretty good condition no?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-x200-thinkpad-tablet-Core-2-Duo-1-86GHz-2GB-RAM-160GB-HDD-Linux-mint-/131754565202?hash=item1ead2f1e52:g:01UAAOSwpzdWrScf

Damn nigga, the stickers haven't even worn off.That is nice condition.

I just ordered this for mine:
ebay.com/itm/381169655824

Best Sup Forums meme I've ever fallen for

This SSD will fit in my Thinkpad T420 correct? It is 2.5" 7mm

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226688

Can anyone help me out here? I'm looking into buying a t420 but I'd like to know how the battery life is on it first.

3-4 hours presumably on a 6 cell, really depends on the wear and condition of the battery.

T420 here, 4-5 hours on Balanced mode in Windows 8.1.

Linux I get 3.5-4 with TLP

So my t430s has computrace enabled so I called absolute and they said its not activated. Not sure what to do

Thanks guys. I think I'll leave it on Windows for as long as I'm in school for the longer battery and then install Linux on it when I'm done.

This is what they have in stock, instead of the Mushkin and corsair. Which one is the best?

Or you can just Dual boot

They don't have the x400. That was probably the best one too.

You can get 256GB on Newegg

How much though?

About the same price

Anyone modded their t420/t420s with RMSMajestic's 1080p ips panels?

How much do the panel's cost? I'd be scared to try

About to purchase the T1 panel from here.
>aliexpress.com/item/Brand-A-LP125WH2-SL-T1-LP125WH2-SL-T1-For-Lenovo-X230I-X220I-laptop-LCD-screen-12/32588551926.html
From what I can gather on the internet, the T1 is a newer version of the T2 panel, both made for the x230, but still fully backwards compatable, apparently slightly better quality, uses less power, weighs a little less.

I guess I will just be very specific that I will only accept an A+ panel (as stated on his listing) with the exact model part number.

Are there panel mods for a non tablet X200?

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118070

Doesn't seem too bad. $50 for the converter then the price of the screen and cable. Pretty simple it seems for the T420s.

AFFS screen swap. Same resolution, but better color/viewing angles.

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=84941

A matte screen does exist, but I think the other two candidates for transplant are glossy.

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://thinkwiki.de/X200_Displayumbau&edit-text=&act=url

You have to start from a CCFL model, or you have to replace the inverter board too, IIRC.

laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP125WH2(SL)(T1)/

$30 cheaper

Why not better resolution panel exists?

Why are turds brown?

That's just the way shit is.

Wow, no need for the rude reply. I think I'm deserving of an apology.

I wasn't being rude. I was being quippy.

Here, have a therapy kitten.

Apologize.

Damn rusty nail, chill.

Don't talk to me or my T60p ever again.

T420s generally gets worse battery life than T420 with a 9cell, even with the ultrabay battery.

>compatible with p/n LP125WH2(SL)(T1)
Which instantly makes me think they are going to send something else.

Well, in the end trying to buy on AliExpress was too much of a pain in the arse (i',m pretty sure last time I bought something on there they supported paypal), so I might email these guys and see what exact model they will send (I'd probably be okay in the end with either a T1 or a B3 panel.)

Anyone play vidya on the W530? I'm getting shitty frames even on CS GO. With the 1000M

Where can I get a t420 with free international shipping? A local seller was selling some but he seems pretty fishy and some of the reviews made me stop considering buying from him.

Do you own knee pads?

No, I was planning to get some but I prefer laying some cushions on the floor.

Haven't tried cs:go, but played F.E.A.R on my w520 with a 1000m at 1080p on max setting, it got pretty hot 80c-90c in the cpu(2720qm). It probably wasn't 60fps, but it felt "smooth", I'm sure if I dropped it to Med setting and maybe 900p or 720p i'd get better temps. The gpu wasn't even that hot though, like in the high 60s mid 70s

so if I want to get an eGPU setup going, I just need a normal GPU, a normal PSU, and one of these connector things:
amazon.com/Bplus-version-interface-ExpressCard-Length/dp/B00ZI33QLY

right? do I need anything else?

Huh. Shame the 1000M is so shit.

You'll need a pair of knee pads

also, this appears to be out of stock, I didn't check the link before I posted. What's a good alternative?

Yeah, but at the same time it's not a gaming laptop. I still enjoy light games on it like, The Binding of Issac and Hotline Miami.

T H I S

Currently dual booting Windows 10 and Kali on my T420, it's glorious.

>Windows 10
Isn't driver support abysmal

Not him, bu never dual booted before. When I set seperate partitions do I have access to the rest of the drive at all? Like movies? Currently use windows for adobe and MS office.

holy shit someone else is dual booting kali, What do you use it for user?

Yeah, i was able to access my wangdows partition from Mint and there is an app that allows you to mount ext4 partitions on windows but i forgot what it was called.

>Kali
Memeing too hard family

i had to use it in my one of my cyber security classes, so i just dual booted it on my thinkpad

Lower your resolution maybe? I got 40 tp 70 fps at 720p on my x220

>i had to use it in my one of my cyber security classes
pls stop the memes
Kali is a meme distro. There is nothing that makes it special. It's just a bundle of packages and le ebin wallpaper on a base install

No one that's seriously learning about or using security tools would use that garbage

Anyone has an idea what's happening to my chinkpad? It only does this during startup, it stops as it boots to the desktop.
This sounds more softwarish, even though both hinges are fucked up.

I know it's >Edge, but it was my gateway chinkpad so be nice pls

Ignored ;_;

Give it back Jamal.

T420 or T420s? I like the fact that the s has 3.0 usb...

T420 can have the cpu swapped, so you can buy an i5, and upgrade it later if you want to.

an i5 will suit me perfectly. Just need a shitposting, facebook machine, and bring it to class occasionally. I have gaming desktop.

Then get a T420s, it's a slimmer machine.

>This sounds more softwarish, even though both hinges are fucked up.

That's not software. It's just display-dependent. You're either losing the LCD controller, or the LVDS drivers on the mobo. Maaaaybe the cable is fucked or loose if you're lucky.

[is it flickery, or pretty constant? Could be GPU too]

You're welcome.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X200-Tablet-Intel-C2D-1-86GHz-4GB-160GB-12-1-Windows-7-/301930613796?hash=item464c778c24:g:mKMAAOSwZVhWSgG3

I have a T420s. It is definitely slim and small. Feels lightweight, too. The 900p screen isn't terrible, but isn't great either. The keyboard is amazing, but takes a little getting used to.

Only downsides are battery life and heat. I have the i7, so maybe an i5 would be better, but it runs pretty hot. And the fan is a bit high pitched. As for battery, I am pretty sure mine is near the end of it's life, as I get about an hour out of it, maybe a bit less. I plan on getting a new main battery as well as an ultrabay battery, but both are pretty expensive. I expect at least a couple hours, maybe three, with both new batteries.

I say get one if you're in college and just need a simple, reliable, easy to carry laptop.

Also, does anyone have one of those exploded thinkpad wallpapers for a T420s? There isn't one in the imgur gallery.

are there ANY relatively recent laptops that aren't 16:9?