External Hard Drives

Hey Sup Forums what is a good external hard drive to get solely for backups?

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/
lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Understanding_SMART_Reports
g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-usb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just get a bunch of Blu-ray disks

Anything not made by WD.

test

why

/this
My passport failed by its second use and Pajeet couldn't figure out how the warranty works so I never got a replacement. Fuck WD

For reliable long-term storage? Definitely not an SSD or anything flash memory.

What's the problem?

WD vs Seagate?

Toshiba

But If I have to choose between those two, Seagate

I recently bought a Toshiba Stor.e canvio 5TB.
It was among the cheapest 7200rpm drives, so I went for that.

This thing is seriously fucking loud and emits this steady humming noise, that makes my room sound like some kind of a sci-fi starship engine room, but gets steady 160MB/s writes and reads.
Think it was getting near 200MB/s when it had couple of TB less data.
Far better than my older 2TB WD externals that I had laying around.

>toshiba
>cheapest

What did you expect?!

I have one of these, it was cheap and I haven't had any problems so far.

>Buying an external HDD

Buy internal drive, back up drive, place drive in drawer. That way you don't have to worry about shitty enclosures failing.

I've had an external Toshiba HDD for a couple of years and it's working as good as day one, even though I've dropped it a handful of times.

external I got about 7 years ago

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 200 200 051 Pre-fail Always - 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 190 155 021 Pre-fail Always - 7458
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 685
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 086 086 000 Old_age Always - 10630
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 504
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 260
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 192 192 000 Old_age Always - 25857
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 112 089 000 Old_age Always - 40
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 200 200 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 200 200 000 Old_age Offline - 0

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Green (AF)
Device Model: WDC WD20EARS-00J2GB0
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 25a22b5c9
Firmware Version: 80.00A80
User Capacity: 2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is: SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s
Local Time is: Wed May 11 20:03:23 2016 PDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Dafuq are you on about? I've got a Passport that's several years old that is still kicking, and a 2TB MyBook that I bough a few months ago that still works.

Amazing, not a single fucked sector

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/

How do you read that?

Look at the raw value column

by using your eyes..

back when WD took pride in making stuff that wasn't shit.. this was a random ass usb 3.0 drive when they first came out, before motherboards even had 3.0.. was way back had to be about 2009 or maybe a bit earlier, I forgot when usb3.0 popped up but it feels like back then.

I was like "fuck yea future proofing" and I guess it did me well..

Raw_Read_Error_Rate?
Reallocated_Sector_Ct?
Seek_Error_Rate?
Reallocated_Event_Count?
UDMA_CRC_Error_Count?
Multi_Zone_Error_Rate?

I mean it's not that obvious.

Well, you do have to have some knowledge on what those properties mean, they don't call it S.M.A.R.T. for nothing

>Raw_Read_Error_Rate?
lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Understanding_SMART_Reports

man you can't jump into shit and understand it, same goes to fucking everything & a GUI wouldn't fix that

Anyone have that 8tb WD my book? They're on sale on jewegg and I'm thinking about getting one for backups.

I got 2x 2TB and 1x 4TB my books, they do very good. very fast over usb3.0 and I've written about 10tb to each of them so far, they aren't too old but not starting to fail or anything

I was kind of worried about the 8TB single one though, specifically because of the volume. Or if it was actually a spanned drive or something advertised as a single.

The double ones are pretty cool but I'm looking for just a backup drive, no need for RAID when the actual drives I'll be backing up off of are already mirrored.

A lot of gentoomen are saying external harddrives with built-in raid 1 is shit

yes/no?

G-tech is HGST's consumer brand.
Some of their drives can be expensive, but just get the cheapest drive of the capacity that you want.

HGST is the GOAT HD manufacturer. WD turned to shit after purchasing HGST because they realized they could cheap out on the WD drives, and just sell on brand recognition, while making a killing on selling their top quality products under the HGST brand for a premium.

g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-usb

Their 2TB option is $130 compared to WD's $90 for their 2TB 'Elements', but you get HGST quality.

you can ebay 2tb HGST's for ~50 bucks, what I stuffed in my storage server, all brand new.

OP wanted an external backup drive, though I guess you could just put them in your own external enclosure.

yeah thats easy enough, amazon a sata -> esata or usb3 for 10 bucks still come in under what a new WD would cost you.

I would like to add to this that you should be getting shock-resistant drives, not just regular 3.5" desktop drives, if you're putting them in an enclosure.
You don't want to risk killing your backup drives because you happened to bump the enclosure while they were spun up.

you some kind of shitter?
my pass port has been running for years with no problems whatsoever

I guess? Why not just do a hotswap tray and put it in when needed, remove when not needed. Most external hard drives you buy don't feature "anti shock" unless it's 2.5in and even then all you get is a silicon sleeve.

I do not like hotswapping drives like this because of the rated ~100 insertion cycles of the SATA connector. Not to say that they WILL break, but I just don't like it.
It's also outside either the cost parameters, or the giving a fuck parameters of most consumers.

fair enough, I've been pulling/putting drives from servers for 10 years and never had an issue with a sata connector, but it's your call not mine.

Iomega 500gb (wall powered) - 8 years old
Toshiba 500gb (usb) - 5 years
Toshiba 1TB (usb) - 4 years
WD 1TB (usb) - 3 years
G Drive (wall powered) - 1 month

all non-SSD, all of them run fabulously, almost zero problems ever, except now on occasion the Iomega powers off and then back on again.

don't drop them, set them down gently, get soft cases if you travel with them. unless you get a lemon any of the major brands will do. just take care of your shit, and phase the old ones out once in a while.

storage is cheap, spread your stuff out across a few, (one disk for movies, one for personal stuff, etc) and if one does fail, you won't lose your whole life.

Seriously? Seagate has historically had far worse hardware failure rates than WD, unless WD have a bad batch suddenly?

Backdoor by NSA, I am serious, use a non-USA brand, and there is only one left, Toshiba.

>Backdoor by NSA

You better have evidence/proof to back up your claim because I don't believe you.

>Seagate has historically had far worse hardware failure rates than WD, unless WD have a bad batch suddenly?

People who say this are just suckers that brought into that one clickbait article by Backblaze. Backblaze aren't a truthworthy source.