Best programming language to pick up now

Say someone was looking to learn a new language at the moment. What would be the most worthwhile to learn and have to longest lifespan?

COBOL.

It will never die and you will always have a job with it.

>prove me wrong

Top of my list are Python, Javascript and Ruby (least enthusiastic about this one, but it seems fairly popular).

Unix

I'm motivated more by interesting work not by job security. Plus, i'm psychologically put off by something my dad worked with 40 years ago.

You mean to learn C?

Python, learn to be a decent coder.

It takes like 2 days to learn a new programming language. This isn't some sort of life journey bullshit. Just learn what is used at your place of employment.

Because my place of employment is a C#/.Net house, and I'm not interested in this type of work slow paced work anymore.

How about Swift?

Take it from someone who had to use it for a semester class dedicated to learning it: Swift is really, really shitty. I'd rather learn almost anything else, I'd rather program in assembly than program in Swift again.

I think what I'd enjoy most is building new things, rather than maintaining old things (what I'm doing now in C#).

give in

If you want to develop fast learn a functional language. Trading firms like Jane Street are using them for exactly this.

Hey guys, it's Austin.

Python
then C, C++, non-Haskell functional language like F#

Assume I'm an idiot, can you explain or forward me to an explanation to the benefits of 'functional' languages?

I love C#, use Java at work, and most of my current projects are in C/C++ (Atmel Studio hence gcc).

Every job I see in C# or Java is some bullshit maintenance type work. Therefore I'm excluding those two on that reason alone.

I recently picked up Perl after I finished Python, look into both.

Go/Swift/Rust - only one of these
or Haskell

>swift
ew

that's why I chose Go. Swift is better they say but I am not sure I can trust appledrones

C#

thank you

pick up a new paradigm, language is mostly irrelevant! If I had to suggest one, I'd pick Erlang as it teaches some unusual habits, and makes multi-threading a breeze.

If you want to do something productive with it go with C# or C++.
If you want to fuck around a little with toy problems learn Haskell.

Learning Haskell helps with learning other languages imho (similar to latin and european languages) but it's useless on its own.

C# is easier than C++ i think.

Rust.

Rust

Python, C, Java.

You will need them everywhere.

Hahaha, elaborate please?

start off with python, dont pick something that takes real learning, just learn how to create something first so you know what it takes to be a programmer, then learn C.

If you have possibility to get in big company, I would say sql languages will give huge possibilities.

Easy to learn, hard to master.

You can write a for-loop in a day, but that doesn't mean you can read kernel code and understand what's going on.

Concurrency.

>It takes like 2 days to learn a new programming language
>doesn't know the standard library
>has no idea how to avoid common pitfalls
>has no idea how to express things in an a way that's idiomatic to the language
hello. Pajeet.

>Learning Haskell helps with learning other languages imho (similar to latin and european languages) but it's useless on its own.

How would knowing anything about Haskell help someone learn... C for example?

They have nothing in common.