- Solves dependency hell

- Solves dependency hell
- Concurrent package installs

Why aren't you using NixOS?

It's not ready yet.

Gentoo is better

I'm waiting on GUIX to reach stable. Using Trisquel for now and reading up on Common Lisp.

How does NixOS and the Haskell-based package manager perform?

It's logo looks like Haskell's butthole

>It's logo
Kill you are self

Why aren't you stopping shilling your OS?

>shilling a free as in gratis OS

Looks cool, gonna try it right now on a VM

>only works with packages that are integrated with its config system
>all config for literally everything in one place instead of at least being partitioned a bit into logical units

Doesn't it have its own package building tool for that shit?

GuixSD is superior.

So I get a lot more safety and whatever's left is tiny enough that it breaks I don't really have to worry too much? Okay.

You can easily import scripts and thus place them in logical places.

I've been meaning to try this. do you have any specific reasons to use it over NixOS? Is it just preference for Scheme over Nix or is there something objectively better about GuixSD's design?

How exactly is it even theoretically possible to write a tool that can detect, interpret and wrap itself around arbitrary configuration details of arbitrary programs and translate said arbitrary configration (i.e. arbitrary config files loaded in arbitrary ways and containing config written in arbitrary schemas and syntaxes) into a universal syntax?

I ain't buying it, there's no such wizardry unless they've got an AI simulating human comprehension of config files with the experience, intuition and knowledge of an advanced programmer.

You can import nix from guix, I don't know whether vice versa is true but theoretically it should be.

You can split the config into multiple files

Ok, but that still leaves the fact that you can really only use packages of which the source code has been modified to take all its config from this central source and its particular syntax instead of from its original config files.

Not really. The syntax is pretty versatile, and adding in modifications for super-edge cases isn't too much a pain in the ass since 'nixos-rebuild' immediately complains when I break shit

I would be using Guix over Nix if they weren't so Philistine about firmware blobs. My hardware is borked without them, so Nix is just more convenient atm.

You can use another package manager side-by-side for whatever's missing because of the different architecture, until Nix then gets it. It's still a major improvement because Nix will be handling most, and the rest is just as stable as whatever you had before.

--depclean

never again

Well they want to be considered Free GNU/Linux distribution by the FSF.