/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pIyF4UdYuXg
ebay.com/itm/121347074887
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't get why there's a strap guide but not an actual watch guide on the fucking OP.

>that date window
>that seconds hand with the fucked up star
>that retarded triangle at 12

But
>that case's curves
>that blue
>those nice numerals
>those minute and hour hands

IWC is fucking retarded, it's like they have the best designs in the world, then fuck them up AND make the watch 5mm too big.

>still posting autism OP

I agree with all your points but the triangle
triangle is fine
its so close to a perfect watch ;-;

Because nobody can make a proper new one.

Finally bought a watch that fits edition :3c

>tfw no vintage Omega Seamaster 30 from the 60's with a "Harry" inscription on the caseback.

Why even live?

youtube.com/watch?v=pIyF4UdYuXg

worst old omega I've seen in a while

So you won't have to deal with shite like this.

>Pajeet my son

Reminder that Speedmasters in spess is a lie by Omega marketing shills.

If you look closely, you can see that he is wearing a Diesel on his right wrist.
Diesel went to space. Memega didn't.

That's actually a russian smartwatch.

Around -10s today :^), an improvement on the +40s I was getting yesterday.

Why, do you actually believe that's a russian smartwatch and not a fucking mirror?

is that nato from meranom?

Lose nearly a minute per day, I would miss my bus or train after a week.

No, I got it from an eBay seller.
ebay.com/itm/121347074887
>inb4 shill

Pretty, but I think 44 mm is too extreme for my wrist.

44mm is too big for most humans

Feels like a cannon shell on my wrist.

ye you look like a retard

Rapper size desu.

44mm is too big when there's so much dial, even if that watch has a bezel.

Yep. Too big.
What's your wristsize? 7"?

Barely.

Fuck it, I like it too much to send it back.

Stop shilling that autist.

>Fuck it, I like it too much to send it back.
Do what you want, user. Normies are not going to think it looks retarded anyway, since they don't know how a watch should fit in your wrist.
And the fact that you like it is what's most important.
Enjoy the watch, user!

Then keep it. Why are you listening to us neckbeards in the first place?

It's not like it's waaay to big for you, just slightly too big. Guess if you put it on a nice thick zulu strap i think it'll look fine.

>barely
thats bigger on you than cutewrist's omega is for him

its way fucking oversized

>barely
I think it was "barely" 7" wrist.

What's the lug to lug distance on the watch?

While all the neckband are out,
The boctok 1965 limited, thoughts?

Use Google. Your guess is as good as mine.

t.

God that's hideous.
Why don't we have spoiler filters for photos on this board?
Definitely NSFW.

Not like you posted the model number.

Why would you think I'm the guy with the watch?
in I really wrote that I thought that was what he meant by "barely". Hence
>I think it was...

Honest mistake, user. Have a nice day.

Just type in "fucking huge seiko 5"

What about smartwatches?

No need to be so rude, user!

What about them?

Are they useful?

SRP663, not too much info on it though.

I don't know. I don't own one.

It's a great-looking watch for your grandpa, since most of us are too young to pull off a watch like that. The steel/black version would be a better though.

Also I think I like the original better than the remake, but it's a great example of what Vostok can do if they try.

Is there something similar to this I can afford.

Another pic from WUS, for the bling.

sarx015

This thread is about faggots and appreciation of depreciated cocks.

What's your budget, user? That makes it a bit easier.

A quality post, user.
I don't like the autistic tripshit text either, but it's just plain retarded to make a post like yours.

I'd say $500. I'm extremely new to watches but I want something actually nice. Used is fine too.

Noob V6?

There's a lot going on with that model. Dial texture, movement, lug shapes, crown, hands, style of Lume and indicies etc.

Normally when a newbie says they are looking for something similar they are clueing into some of the details, but aren't actually telling us which ones. You didn't even go as far to tell us what you can afford. So there's really no way to help you.

But really, there's so many watches out there new and vintage, if you look around enough I'm sure you'll find something you like in your price range.

>Seagull 1963. Fuuuck. Skagen Holst/Hagen, Orient Curator, now this. Too many watches to choose from.

Sounds like your constipated anus needs some cock plumbing.

Orient Bambino.

Genuine. 10/10 b8 made me reply

College grad here again, still looking for a great watch.

As I mentioned earlier, I really like the Sinn 556i. But they also make a mocha and anthracite edition of it. Might one of those be better than the standard black and white?

I don't know ceramics so I just assume.

They are not "better". They look different.
Which do you like the most? Buy that.

>gee, user, it can't be that simple!
Yes. Yes it can.

Samefag from last thread with his grandfather's watches, I still haven't been able to find out the model of them. They're both Omega (vintage I presume), could anyone tell me what they are approximately worth. Pic related. This one the second hand still turns but I'm not sure if it keeps time flawlessly.

Second one isn't working at all so far as I can tell, is the battery dead? Or where there even any batteries in watches when this was made.

Omega's are usually pretty easily dated via the movements.

So you'd have to pop open the back to see what movement it is.

Looks like it's from the 50's.

Forgot the photo.
Don't really want to do that as I'm pretty new and don't want to fuck anything up.

Open the back and look at the lid.
If it's the original lid it should say model number and such.

oh you really don't know anything about watches lol

I've seen a couple of the rep ceramics and some are pretty good, but the finishing at close detail is nowhere near as good as the real thing, the bezel markers especially look sloppy up close as they don't use the same methods of application.

Suit yourself.

Not much we can say unless we see the movements.

Nigger that watch is fucking garbage. Don't even waste time trying to identify it or fixing it.
Send it to me ASAP and I'll properly dispose of it.

I know, but I want to learn...

Thanks for the macro, that's erotic. Mill markings in the bezel are awesome.

Not worth a lot. Especially not the one that doesn't work. And no, it's not a quartz movement.
They're likely both hand-winding movements.

The one with "Geneve" on it, looks like the Omega Geneve from the early to mid 70s. Try googling "Omega Gneve 74" and such.

Also, same advice as this It should say it on the lid.

Source: I have an Omega Geneve from the 70s.

That watch seems a bit too big for you user :^)

Look at pic related. Notice how well the lugs curve with the wrist to make a snug and comfortable fit.
Notice how low profile the watch is to his wrist so he can easily pull his shirt over if need be but always has the convenience and class of a watch at his disposal.
Notice how the watch doesn't smother his wrist unlike yours which reminds you of that really fat girlfriend you met in college who you had sex with twice and then didn't talk to again.

Am sorry user but that watch is just too big...Kinda like that girl you met back in college.

>Don't really want to do that as I'm pretty new and don't want to fuck anything up.
It's not as if it's dangerous to open the back of a watch, haha. You won't mess it up, as long as you don't touch the movement with your fingers.

I believe the Geneve model is usually worth about $300 in good condition, with a movement that runs well. so you shouldn't hope for great profit.

Your watches have mechanical movements. It means they don't have batteries, just springs and gears.
If you want to know how a mechanical movement works, you can watch the video in the OP.
"modern" watches that run on batteries are quartz, which use very different technology, and generally didn't exist before the 70s. They're usually seen as lesser watches by the enthusiasts.

The one that doesn't run is a handwind mechanical watch, like in the video. So you would have to rotate the crown to wind up the mainspring, which would give it power.
The one that runs is automatic, so the mainspring is wound by the movements of a rotor inside of the watch, which is why it runs without you doing anything (other than moving it around).

>They're likely both hand-winding movements.
Even the one that says "automatic" on the dial? :^)

Aqua Terra are pretty affordable on the used market

Oh, haha. My bad.

ok awesome thanks

Dial close up

Anyone interested in buying an SKX007 case and bracelet?

Buying a diver
My first watch ever
Decided to go for an Orient (Mako or Ray)
I'm deciding between black and blue dial
Opinions?
I tend to prefer how the blue looks, but I think black is more universal, can wear with everything etc?

Well meme'd.

Why did companies such as Hamilton provide watches for railroad production? Why would they need time pieces?

You're right, but I guess I just want people to bash on something about these watches like they do with everything here.

But if they're not doing so, that probably means they're decent watches with the "approved by some faggot" stamp.

>I'm deciding between black and blue dial
>Opinions?
see

Blue is always a nice dial option. It's different then typical black, but not so different it stands out like a sore thumb. Plus blue just looks nicer to a lot of people and it can still look good in many situations.

I'd personally get the brown one, since I'm a cuck for special dials.
Anyway, enjoy your new watch, when you've got enough fag/g/ots rooting for you.

>why do trains have to be on time?

>Why would they need time pieces?
Gee, I wonder

Because.. Everybody wants to know what time it is, and if they're making the deadline?
What kind of question is this?

I have a blue ray. The color doesn't stick out, it's quite dark under most lights. I'd say get the blue, it looks better.