/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/131762343145
ebay.com/itm/THINKPAD-T431S-T540P-W540-L440-L540-Touchpad-Trackpad-With-Three-3-Buttons-Key-/251899411295
lmgtfy.com/?q=linux intel 8260
nycbug.org/event/10356/openbsd_laptop_nycbug_2015.pdf
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Core-i5-2-6Ghz-Premium-IPS-Display-8GB-Webcam-320GB-Win-7-/141737719128?hash=item210039f558:g:BDkAAOSw3ydVsm5D
ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-T500-ThinkPad-15-4-Laptop-2-26Ghz-Core-2-Duo-2GB-Ram-160G-HDD-Win10-/172085053338
ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T400-2-4GHz-3GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-Windows-10-Pro-/272212412372
download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42t7844_01.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Macbooks are for fags.

just bought:
ebay.com/itm/131762343145

how bad did i fuck up?

First post is best post.

Macbooks are also for productive people :^)

Looks fine, no OS, but not a huge deal for most people.

moderate fuck up, still looks ok tho. I wouldve went with a t420

Thoughts on Dell Latitude E7470?

Any reason I shouldn't get it?

because you can get a refurbed xps 13 with way better hardware for a little bit more

Apple hardware (in mobile devices) is probably still the best. A dualboot with windows and ganoo lanucks in a macbook is probably the best equipment you can get. In fact, I think that's a linux desktop, since you can see the window buttons at the top-right of the program.

Scored a x220 for 100$ not used except in a office, new 9 cell battery how did I do?

>X220
>$260
>i5
>256GB SSD
>8GB RAM
>No DVD drive
Other option was a 128GB for $30 less. How'd I do?
mother fucker

except it's a shitty meme consumer design :^)

I have a L540 thinkpad,updated drivers, and after using the touchpad for some time, the driver or whatever gets stuck on "left mouse click" (I think) Its solved by either mashing the touchpad for some seconds and maybe whiping (works 30% of the time) or just closing the lid to go in and out of hybrid mode.

Is there any fix for this? Other than buying a mouse.
I tried the double handed ctrl shift alt from the DOS era, doesnt work.
Im playing slither.io right now and I'm fucking sick of this...

>4gb RAM
>320gb HDD
>768p
You got a better deal desu since I'm to much if a poorfag to upgrade it

ebay.com/itm/THINKPAD-T431S-T540P-W540-L440-L540-Touchpad-Trackpad-With-Three-3-Buttons-Key-/251899411295

the only fix you'll ever need to make

How comfy have you been today /tpg/?

This.

>1366x768
>Comfy

At least you tried.

It's a 12 inch notebook, what do you fags want, a 1440p X series?

I'm used to it, so it doesn't bother me that much

1080p would be nice but I heard somewhere you'd lose DP for it

Earlier X series had 1440x900.

THANK YOU!!!

However with the exams in sight, Im afraid a hardware fix have to wait.

I was hoping for a software fix, like a driver reset maybe? (which I can activate with a keyboard shortcut)

Would it be worth it replacing the matte 1080p LCD with another one? It would be a waste to watch GOT or any good movie with such rediculously afwul Black Levels. (calibrated)

1400x1050.

kinda wish i had got one of the smaller thinkpads now instead of a t420, there's nothing wrong with the t420 but the geometry of the smaller 'pads is very pretty

I spilled juice on my T410 and now it doesn't charge or load. Is saving it possible in any way?

Only the super expensive and rare X201s.

Boot in to a Linux live USB of your choice (e.g. Ubuntu) and see if the issue persists. If it's gone, it's definitely a driver issue. You could try an older version.

Check what panel your one currently has, the AUO B140HAN01.2 is better than the LG one.

I have a question,
I bought a P40 Yoga recently (its amazing), but I cannot seem to get the wireless drivers working in Linux. I've tried various distros and downloaded various drivers but none of them seem to work. The wireless card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

IPS mod from the X61 tablet?

>I've tried various distros and downloaded various drivers but none of them seem to work.
"I've done random things without understanding anything and it didn't work. Can you use magic to fix it?"

X60 tablet but yes.

Has there been any os/distro that just drains the battery really quick? I don't like Windows that much and Linux is getting a little boring since I don't use it for much,so I'm planning to hackintoshing my x220 will there be any extreme battery life difference between either of the 3 os's?

Lmao, fair enough. I was more so looking if someone more knowledgeable then myself could point me in the direction of the driver, since I'm probably autistic and can't seem to find the correct one.

>Dell Latitude E7470
I'm glad they haven't ditched the pointing stick

Support was added recently.
lmgtfy.com/?q=linux intel 8260

It's probably a hardware issue desu

nycbug.org/event/10356/openbsd_laptop_nycbug_2015.pdf

He should repaste it. It's probably just overheating.

Ah thank you, cheers

RMSMajestic will sell 1080p ips kits for t420s/t430s again starting from the 18th.

$270 for a X220 with an allegedly IPS panel.

8GB RAM
250 HDD
Windows 8

Good deal?

I kinda want the X230 though because of the slight CPU upgrade.

what CPU?

I got a beautiful IPS x220 with 8GB RAM, 300GB HDD, W7, i5 CPU, 9 cell battery. For $180

>$180
*$280

Oh, It's an i5-2540M.

Has anyone here done the IPS panel swap on the X220/X230? How much was the overall cost and were there and difficulties?

Can you use a screwdriver and read the X220 service manual?

T440
i7-4600u
12 GB RAM
240GB SD
1080P IPS
$500

or

T540
i5-4300M
1080P
4GB RAM
$600

t440 by far

Make sure to buy an SSD and you're golden.

I got a refurbished i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD no IPS, 9cell for 200$ including shipping in urup.

Is it actually a good deal?

I'm iffy on the 4600u

not sure if it's the best deal but much better than the latter

it's anywhere between 5-15% slower than the i5-4300m.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-Core-i5-2-6Ghz-Premium-IPS-Display-8GB-Webcam-320GB-Win-7-/141737719128?hash=item210039f558:g:BDkAAOSw3ydVsm5D

Is this any good?

Gave that to my mom after I tossed an SSD in there.

Are there any beenefits from using 90W power brick with X230? It originally came with with 65W adapter and I need a replacement.

Looking for babby's first Thinkpad and found two examples. Read the guide and narrowed down from there, and they're within a few weedbucks to each other. Overpriced, or just about right?

ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-T500-ThinkPad-15-4-Laptop-2-26Ghz-Core-2-Duo-2GB-Ram-160G-HDD-Win10-/172085053338

or

ebay.ca/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T400-2-4GHz-3GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-Windows-10-Pro-/272212412372

Looking to use it as a learning tool to into computer repair and upgrading (if low-end gaming is possible on these), and get away from some shitty Lenovo memepad I've been using.

Bros, I have 2x T60s, of differing specs. I bought them both used. Is there a database for comparing product IDs or something to help understand if their parts are compatible?

I think the 2007-68U is more powerful and has a better screen.
But the 2008-CTO has a much better case and keyboard and palm rest set.

I'm wondering how difficult it'd be to swap things around. How hard would it be (and would it even fit) to replace the 2008-CTO's guts and screen with the 2007-68U's, but basically keep the rest?

Even worth my effort? The 68U isn't fully functional right now.

New to this world.

Aren't these computers you're pimping old? the x220 is a 2011 laptop. Tell me why an old as fuck laptop is a good deal

check the T60 Hardware Maintenance Manual and see if idividual parts are replacable

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42t7844_01.pdf

Because TONS of companies leased them for their employees, they barely got used or got used pretty lightly for the most part, now that the lease is up and they are returning the laptop to the lease owners, they are being refurbished and resold on ebay and to other resellers.

it's sandybridge CPU, can come in i3, i5, or i7. 4 or 8GB of RAM, IPS 1366x768. Pop an SSD in and you've got a very competent laptop for daily tasks.

Thanks dude. I'm still reading into it. I just might try this.

I installed an i7 2820QM last week. I posted about the screen not turning back on when waking from sleep, but it hasn't happened again. Temperatures sit in the 35 - 45 degree Celsius range during normal usage. Very happy with the result for $100 on eBay (plus $12 for Arctic Silver because I can't figure out where my old tube went).

It'll charge faster, and wont throttle when the battery is removed/dead. Other than that, no.

In the past month i bought an X220 for my mom, then ordered a T420 for myself.

Paid a bit more on the X220(~$260) to get one with the IPS screen. The T420 however was $180. Throw a $50 SSD in there and it's perfect.

I have an opportunity to buy T400 for 30 american dorrars. It has supervisor password on it. I've heard it's possible to take it off by shorting EEPROM. I doubt it's stolen - the seller seems to be importing massive quantities of used stuff from western Europe.
Anyway, did anyone try that?

Checking. From what I can see, the system board and LCD assembly are both replaced at once, pretty much.

Also seems like a huge job. I wonder if it's worth it.

Is a 1600x900 Screen in 12.5" actually acceptable? I would prefer 1080p minimum

cheap (~200-250 for X20 series)
sturdy (magnesium alloy chassis)
great screens (many models feature 1440x900 or higher res IPS non-glossy screens)
proper, non-chicklet keyboards
god-tier trackpoint

Overall, they're rugged and inexpensive machines buikt for work

After doing some thinking, Ive realized after I've done everything I want to do to a x230, I would have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $425.

X230 - $270
250GB SSD - $75
IPS Panel Switch - $80

Now my question is, Is there anything else in the that price range that could be better?

>great screens (many models feature 1440x900 or higher res IPS non-glossy screens)
Don't oversell them. There are particular models with great screens, like the T60 or W520. The recommended models in the OP have some of the worst.

No not really, the thinkpads tend to have the best support for aftermarket mods and the upgrades you've done would put it far ahead most laptops in the $500-600 price range.

You could trade off screen quality and size for something bigger with a bit better GPU for gayming. But for everyday computering yours is probably one of the best value for function.

It's a solid laptop for sure. Still has a docking port and the pointer mouse if you are interested in such things.

I'd say look at the Dell Outlet site first as you get them cheaper with the same 3 year warranty.

Yes, actually. I do.

For $440 off a local seller. This look like a good deal?

Manufacturer Lenovo
Model Number: X220T
Product ID: 4299-33U
Processor: CPU Intel Core i7-2620M 2.7GHz (3.4GHz with Turbo Boost)
Memory: 16GB
Hard drive: 256GB mSATA Crucial SSD + 500GB 5400rpm Hitachi Disk Drive
Optical Drive: none
Display: 12.5" Configured with 1366x768 IPS Outdoor Screen
Pen input only. NOT MULTITOUCH
Graphics / Video: Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
6-cell: 37 cycles
3-cell: 115 cycles

Why only s models?

good config but a litte bit too steep.

Local seller has a t420 for $160

i5-2520M
4gb RAM

I kinda wanted a 520 but this seems like a kickass deal.

Buy??

The non-s I don't believe has all the bugs worked out. LCD flickering on a lot of units or something.

>I think that's a linux desktop, since you can see the window buttons at the top-right of the program.

yeah and it's a guhnome desktop environment, you can see by the default wallpaper

worth it for sure

Its fedora

Is that a pic of the listing? Looks pretty mint to me

I'd get it and keep looking for a 520 anyway, you can definitely resell this later if it's great condition

I got basically an identical unit but with 8GB of RAM for $180

Just toss an SSD in there.

Whats the max price that you would pay for a T440s with an i7, 1080P IPS screen?

I'm thinking 600 seems reasonable.

Whatever you do just make sure you upgrade it to the t450 trackpad, it has physical buttons back

Looks like the screen is 1600x900 judging by the icon size.

I'd buy it.

www.eBay.ca/itm/272240349714

I'm a uni student situated in Canada with about 210the on his pp to spend.
Should I get this specific listing and buy the ram and ssd upgrades separately?

I can't find anything wrong with it, but I'd appreciate any assistance in case I'm a dumbass missing something.

Looks like a good deal. Though it doesn't say what the screen resolution is.

RAM and drives are always best to upgrade yourself.

Good call, I'll send a message asking about resolution and whether or not the BIOS is accessible, you just reminded me.
Thank you, dude!

No, the seller just confirmed it as 1366x768 :(

Is this a dealbreaker? I was planning on upgrading to an X1C or Alienware screen anyway

Which of the latter two are better? I see X1C mentioned in guides more but the Alienware screen mentioned here more

I am this guy
Mine is 1600x900 for only $20 more than yours. I would look around a bit more.

I don't think you can do a screen swap on a T420, if that's what you're asking about.

I don't think it's that bad. You can get a 1600x900 screen for about $50. If you have any income I don't think the price difference is a very big deal.

Most ebay listings end around $200 that I notice, so I think this is a dece deal

You can, but only to a few other screens (the X1 Carbon first gen screen, still TN but MUCH better viewing angle than t420's ass one) and lately I've been seeing talk about swapping with an Alienware M14x panel since the connector doesn't need any fucking with

>I think that's a linux desktop
Ya think? The creator of Linux, running a Linux desktop....??? No fucking way.

What are the specs in these? Detailed specifications to fuel my fantasies pls.

How are the Helix series? Are they absolute shit?

>**40
literally the worst generation of chinkpads. Get a **30 or **50.

can i use the vga port on my t430 when i get it if i disable the nvidia card? or is nvidia required to use the vga port?

Whats wrong the the 40's? Just the touchpad bullshit?