APUs

Hello Sup Forums, im back asking your opinions once again.
i am kind of hung up on these AMD a-series APUs for some reason and want to know a little more about them. What are the main differences between the 7890k and 7870k besides price? i know there is a graphics difference and was told not too long ago by one of your esteemed professionals here on Sup Forums that the 7870k would play just about any games without much trouble. is this true or am i getting memed?

Also, whoever it was that told me to support Bernie over Trump needs to find a nice oven, turn to bake 450 deg, climb in and take a nice nap. Thanks to any who answer in advance and as always pic not related its just a bonus for kind anons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8Au6qBLgk1A
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a10-7890k-gaming-performance-benchmark,4491.html
youtube.com/watch?v=bIHzdEAj2Vk
youtu.be/McIxMlOXbS0
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a10-7890k-gaming-performance-benchmark,4491-3.html
technologyx.com/featured/amd-a8-7650k-apu-review-the-little-apu-that-could/4/
anandtech.com/show/9217/the-amd-a8-7650k-apu-review-also-new-testing-methodology/7
pcpartpicker.com/p/Qd2ZBm
pcpartpicker.com/p/Qd2ZBm/by_merchant/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thread music because why the fuck not?

youtu.be/8Au6qBLgk1A

One has a 7 and a 9 in it and one has two 7s.
sgiaf

Quit being a cunt.

That's a man.

APUs won't play shit well but they'll play it.

As to the difference, tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a10-7890k-gaming-performance-benchmark,4491.html

>200mhz
>stock cooler

Also I'm a Trump supporter but this isn't Sup Forums. Keep it out.

Also this one is a bit more fitting for you
youtube.com/watch?v=bIHzdEAj2Vk

lets get it started you code monkeys, i need help.

hey i didnt bring up politics last time i posted here. it was one of you fart smellers. thanks for the info have a qt

it sure is nice when the "whats in the box" threads get more replies than real question threads. you all are supposed to be fuckin geniuses i thought.

youtu.be/McIxMlOXbS0

god damn all of you cheeto suckin one-tons. BUMP

A10 7870k will easily handle any modern game, but only on low or medium settings if 1080p.

Still, you can't really beat the value, my friend has an a8 7650k he uses for playing steam games like magicka and l4d2.

Mantle gave a decent performance boost, and dx12 should be even better.

APUs are generally shit.
It'll play some games, but not well.
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a10-7890k-gaming-performance-benchmark,4491-3.html
If you're playing older games you'll be fine.
If you're playing something newer you'll have to lower the settings.
You could probably slap on a GPU later on you'll be in an alright position.

The current AMD architecture always has the same issue: terrible single threaded performance.

Buying and APU is like buying generic store branded coffee, yes, it will get caffeine in your system. As long as you don't care about the quality of the coffee, then buying store brand is perfectly fine.

So if you want vidya gaymengs and don't give a flying fuck about graphics, or play low resource games, AMD is a perfectly valid option. Just know that

An a10 7800 offers similar multithread performance to an i3 4160 iirc. Overclocking it should make it even better.

Plus if op uses w10, he could take advantage of multiadapter later on by slapping in something like a cheap r7 360.

Not OP, but I was wondering; can you crossfire an APU with their GPUs?

It's called dual graphics mode. Look up specific combinations to see if they work.

Yep.

A8 and a10 can be crossfired with r7 240 and 250.

You're better off with an i3 + gpu if you're going to buy a gpu anyways. The point of an apu is the igpu.

Don't, that's my advice. Current APUs are garbage, wait for zen which will have APU versions with vega/polaris.

>easily handle any modern game
>Apparently 15FPS is acceptable

Sure, when you put it on ultra.

But show me a game that runs at 15 fps on medium or low settings. And show me a better deal than an apu like the 7650k, 7800, or 7850k.

Your analogy doesn't make sense. AMD processors are simply better at different things than Intel processors. Even within those companies they have processors that do certain things better than others. One brand is not a cheaper/worse version of the other, it is not that simple.

APUs get locked to 3ghz when using the iGPU to keep the power usage down, not worth buying over the A8 APUs with 2400mhz.

Also just wait for AM4

APU master race

A8 7650K | CS:GO/Dota 2/SC2 benchmarks Tested With 1866Mhz RAM
technologyx.com/featured/amd-a8-7650k-apu-review-the-little-apu-that-could/4/

A8 7650K | Various AAA titles Tested with 2133Mhz RAM
anandtech.com/show/9217/the-amd-a8-7650k-apu-review-also-new-testing-methodology/7

hey thanks guys.

does the amount of ram you have affect APUs much? i have 16gb hyperXs

More is better, but speed is also important

the game in question is Stellaris. i dont know how cpu intensive it is or anything much to do about computers as you can probably tell. I have the 5800k right now and no dedicated GPU and have been playing Civ V without many problems.

i have 1866, i believe. they were the white ones 2x8gb.

Speed, but don't buy over the A8 7650K, and just OC the graphics on it a bit

What would be the best pair (apu+gpu) to crossfire with an a10 5800k?

Should be fine. Get an a10 7870k and oc the ram. Should be fine up to around 2000mhz. I've got my 1333mhz ram running at ~1450mhz, but it's not an apu system.

Higher frequency is better. If you have the time, look up how to loosen the timings to get even higher frequencies.

Don't buy the 5800k. Iirc it's not even gcn.

Right now, Excavator is objectively worse than Skylake as an architecture: single threaded performance, multithreaded performace, both sythetic and realworld benchmarks, server workloads, power consumption, chipset features, etc.

AMD is far better value for the dollar however, with socket comparability, better igfx, ddr3, lower cost mobos, better HSF, and just being straight up cheaper.

im not sure i understand what you mean here friend. act like youre explaining this to a child and i might into your genius better.

Dual Graphics is worthless

if you want a cheap decent gaming PC, you gotta spend around 400

the A10 APUs are hardly faster than the A8 APU, because the APUs lock themselves to 3ghz when you're using the iGPU, so the extra CPU performance is worthless

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/p/Qd2ZBm
Price breakdown by merchant: pcpartpicker.com/p/Qd2ZBm/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($73.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock A88M-G/3.1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($60.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $401.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-12 23:24 EDT-0400

Its VERY CPU intensive. The Clausewitz engine, and all the games it is based on, needs heavy single headed performance

i already have the 5800k for two years now. i do need to just upgrade everything i have but right now money is tight and im just trying to find the most cost effective way to get to playing Stellaris. i play Civ V a good bit without trouble, among some other games.

this is overclocked cpu right?

btw this only makes me want to play even more.

Yes. 4.5GHz runing off an nvme ssd

So then don't upgrade your CPU until AM4 comes out, or buy an i5 6500

i wouldnt be able to overclock my a10 5800k passed 3.0 because it capped like this user says?

only when the iGPU is enabled, not sure if it'll stop itself with trinity, might be a kaveri only power management thing

but really just save your money

>or buy an i5 6500
i cant right now user. i will most likely switch to intel for the next pc i put together but for now im stuck with this 5800k

So then wait for AM4, because that'll give pretty solid CPU and GPU performance with DDR4, and give you an upgrade path to zen, it's supposed to be out soon

Even if the frequency wasn't capped, you will absolutely run into a thermal wall. The more shit that runs off the CPU, the higher the current you will need to draw though that tiny area, the more energy is covered to heat.

Thanks. i have some money but i have more of a gun fetish than a vidya or enthusiast pc fetish. dont get me wrong, computers are fucking great, but once you get started shooting it gets addictive very fast.

ive heard of zen but not of am4. ill look into it soon.

what if i put a big ol fancy fan on the bitch?

Only speed, though it really is bandwidth
Having them in dual channel is essential for APU performance

>the A10 APUs are hardly faster than the A8 APU, because the APUs lock themselves to 3ghz when you're using the iGPU, so the extra CPU performance is worthless
[citation needed]

My 7650K runs the CPU at 4 Ghz and the APU at 1020 Mhz just fine

Get a table fan. Open case. point fan at computer. Put it on full blast.

Though , this only with heat dissipation, not the fact that the source is going to be extremely hot.

id rather not bubba-rig this.

is it weird i went from 4gb-1600 to 16gb-1866 and i feel like it doesnt look as good as before? and although i have more ram, i feel like the single stick of 4gb was faster for some reason. Fug, its all soo much i just want to akjdfoiekmnsbf.

thank god for Sup Forums

Look dude... your ruining an 4 year old AMD build with igfx.

There's no dignity left to sacrifice, you might as well do it.

>your
youre ruining your genius illusion.
what the hell is igfx?

one more gril for the night. you guys have been a real help and i appreciate it a lot. i will be back in the a.m. to check this thread and if i need anymore schooling on hardware i will come back. Thanks again

Integrated graphics
A gpu on a cpu die
AMD calls it an APU

>waah people are more interested in new shit than my shitty questions about old shit
>I'll just keep insulting the people I want to help me and shitposting until I get my wa

Kill yourself

Would an a10 7800 be able to handle gta v on low settings 1080p?

All I need is a consistent 30+ fps.

Sorry to hijack thread

When will I be able to buy one of the new AMD APUs with a Zen processor, Polaris graphics unit and HBM?

I'm not upgrading my computer until then.

Bump

I3?
Fx 6300?

apu's are great if you're not a gaymer manchild always going for the newest cowa doodies

do you breathe through your mouth, boi?

Those aren't games you fucking retard