Free as in freedom BIOS

Who /libreboot/, /coreboot/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

me.bios.io/ME:About
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aren't the UEFI standard issues for linux fixed? Or is that only for Ubuntu?

And if the standard does work well with GNU+Linux then wouldn't UEFI be more secure than libreboot or coreboot?

Very curious about this...

>macbook
>free

It's booting a FSF aproved distribution. All hardware that relies on proprietary firmware has either been removed or made to to be inoperable.

>gentoo
Use Trisquel.

Is Open Firmware acceptable?

There is an Open Firmware replacement I think.

How complete/polished is libreboot compared to a default bios?
have you ever experienced problems because of libreboot?

Only a bug with the hardware clock so far with coreboot and libreboot that was fixed already. You just have to use the unstable branch until a stable version comes out or use a kernel less than 4.2.

Cool. BTW whats their plan when they run out of hardware to install it on?

can i install it on my 6yo HP shitbook or does it only work thickpads and chink lemotes?

so what? the hardware still clearly stands for a platform that promotes censorship and non free hardware.

can i install it on my 6yo HP shitbook or does it only run on thickpads and chink lemotes still?

I don't know. Is UEFI a FOSS standard?

coreboot maybe
libreboot no

Please don't put libreboot and coreboot in the same category

There is no reason to use coreboot besides elevating your special snowflake status

Libreboot works in parallel with coreboot. It's in the same category.

I'm running Coreboot on a Chromebook.

feels good man.

>this level of autism

How autistic are you?

no
They are two projects with two different core ideologies.

One tolerates blobs and one doesn't

Just because libreboot builds on top of coreboot's work doesn't mean it's in the same category.

my hardware isn't supported :( i spoke with the coreboot guys at fosdem, apparently they only support cpu's older than sandy bridge

>check both of these
>no support for my board
>but a lot of pentium3-era boards instead
Why?

because it's easier to support old boards back in the day when companies didn't foam at the mouth at the idea of locking down hardware with cancerous firmware blobs

Libreboot considers itself a "coreboot distribution"

They're definitely in the same category

>being this autistic

if you insist on your retarded black and white view then sure, Libreboot is in the same category as Coreboot because they both provide initialization firmware

Libreboot makes an effort however to differentiate itself from coreboot which doesn't care about userfreedom

Saying Libreboot is in the same category as Coreboot is the same as saying Ubuntu is in the same category as Trisquel

They are in the same category...
Note that there's not just one single category that each thing can be in

because jewtel
me.bios.io/ME:About

He is pretty autistic but if you're genuinely concerned about freedom of the user and security and privacy it helps to be autismal about every detail of your laptop being foss

Autismal? I'm guessing you're new to this.

>free as in freedom bios
>please, coreboot is not free
>I mean it's basically the same
>they are different in a very important way please do not group
>nah dude they're the same
>please stop acting retarded
>I'm not acting

Translated.

the only time you're not autismal is when you're using a rose macbook, obviously
Stop trying to argue with our facebook and tumblr friends

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of shit with down syndrome.

>Trying this hard.

I'm interested in trying libreboot on a x60 thinkpad, what are the pros and cons of librebooting a machine?

Pros: Freedom
Cons: N/A