Contact pads on HP PA-RISC 8700

very pleasing

The other side

eww canada

this thread makes my peepee all fuzzy

these almost gave me a boner

>all these RISC chips that need watercooling just to avoid house fires
Why do they all run so damn hot?

The sign says it's from a supercomputer, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't liquid cooled.

This thread makes me moist.

RISC typically didn't have any power saving logic or hardware like CISC did. With CISC, it only used the parts of the processor that it needed to. RISC just pumped power through everything. The same shit happens with ARM, and when they try to make "server" processors with an ARM chip it's going to take twice as much power as a Xeon for comparable performance.

Cooper pipes are looking so damn good. If I will fall for watercool meme that would definitely be custom cooper-pipe loop.

A quantum annealer computer.

Is there a reason modern CPUs even have pins instead of contact pads? Seems a lot harder to fuck up.

Pins allow you to chose and replace cpu or mobo at any time. While soldered chips pre-define your mobo and make it impossible to replace the processor or dead mobo at home. And it's allowing very flexible mobo models market.

:DDD

:DDDD

>P2mmx 266 Mhz
memories of macroshaft DOS and win95

What they look like when a bunch of them are mounted on a multi-processor configuration.

chips like that are RISCy business.

You do not need solder to use a land-grid array.

that's really clean.

Custom Intel 486DX2 for IBM PC.

IBM RS64

DEC Alpha manufactured in cooperation with Samsung

Early Pentium 4

I miss good old literaly golden chips

Intel OverDrive

Intel Pentium Pro

P2s were well past DOS days, Windows 95 was released just before Pentiums became common.

I was talking about my experience.
I began on PB Multimedia CL with a p2 266 & 64 Mb RAM. As I kept fucking around I broke windows quite a number of times, ans that's why I learnt MS-DOS.

games still had dos versions when the pentium II came out, though it was near the end
though most people weren't running /only/ dos in 97-99

Yeah, but you ran them through Windows. I don't know of anyone who was using just DOS by 1997.

I vaguely remember needing to boot to DOS when something couldn't run in protected mode, but that was few and far between. Also, booting to DOS when you pressed F5 or F6 or something to fix a problem or some shit.

Intel Itanium 9500 has LGA pads on the top side of the package so that it can directly power and control CPU-mounted fans.

sometimes it was faster to run the dos version of a game, as you're avoiding windows' overhead

for example, i played the dos version of GTA1 (1997) despite the windows version being on disc, as it ran faster on my machine

Late high end Windows 95 machines shipped with Pentium 2s.

Itanium

I can't believe it's not thermal paste.

$50 of gold in one chip mayne

>small pic
>all hail the king, baby

Man I fucking loved the Pentium Pro I had so long ago, best pure 32-bit CPU ever manufactured. Massive performance jump over the Pentium on the same clock speed level when running 32-bit code, simply fucking awesome performance for that period of time.

Beast processor, and a damned beautiful one as well.

"The Pentium Pro is dead, long live the Pentium Pro..."

But, it couldn't get any traction because you needed Windows NT to take advantage of the pure 32-bit design.

>Skylel

>firefox_2016-05-13_23-15-45.png

Can Firefox crop photo and save it by itself?

This seems to be the perfect thread to share the best youtube channel out there youtube.com/watch?v=cucLQF3TqOg

he's probably using a screenshooter that uses the window/process name in the filename

Fuck yes

Jesus Christ

dat PCI-E card loading mechanism

Because RISC CPU's are typically used in ultra high end machines where low power isn't a big concern, just look at a PowerMac G5.

top right triggers my OCD

Slovakian

screengrab is great for just this

>research
so basically vaporware to keep the stockholders from shitting their pants about IBM's performance?

Boner achieved.

I wish we didn't step away from daughter cards and shit for CPUs. It would make it a lot simpler to create a stock cooler that wasn't shit as well as open up a simple way to add on custom cooling (see: back-plates) and would also keep mobo manufacturers from being able to design shitty looking heatsinks for components that shouldn't need active cooling in the first place

Call me a faggot for the good old days, but the dolphin looked fuckin proper both with and without the deceptively simple cooling on it

really doesn't look much different than the N64

>PowerPC
Ffuuuuuu

>MIPS, based on SGI hardware
*cums*

Thanks, user.

True, but the GameCubes board looks more organized.

Maybe I just have a fetish for small systems. I have an itx computer right now.

idk, the n64 board is also pretty tight (in both senses of the word)

>implying any of those even work

Shame about the way the whole thing actually worked, with the CPU having no direct access to RAM and having to go through the RCP, the high-latency RD-RAM, The lack of proper documentation on how the RCP if you were not Rare or Factor 5, etc.

10/10 chip packaging

You're not funny

I ran an unreal tournament server on a dual p pro server for years. Eventually upgraded it with 2 p2 overdrives.

It's not a custom Intel 486, it's an IBM 486.

IBM did design and make their own X86 chips in the early 90s along with many other companies.

But the Prentium Pro isn't dead, you're probably running one it's descendants right now.

PentiumII was just straight up PPro on a new socket with on board (later on-die) cache.
P3 was just an evolution of PII
PentiumM was an evolution of PIII
Core was an evolution of PentiumM
Core2, so on and so forth.

However PentiumPro sucked compared to the magic of PowerPC.

>
>Shame about the way the whole thing actually worked, with the CPU having no direct access to RAM and having to go through the RCP

Well that was just cost cutting. If you look at the motherboard you'll see the CPU doesn't have any connections extending to the RAM but only to the memory controller inside of RCP and a few pins on the cartridge slot. It's a lot cheaper if you only give RAM a single bus.

It's quite interesting because this is one of the earliest examples of unified memory, but it's an el cheapo example.

The bigger problem is that the CPU and RCP can't access RAM at the same time. So CPU performance is very much limited by how good programmers are at optimizing cache usage.

>the high-latency RD-RAM

Well it was pretty much the only RAM you could use for a unified memory system. A console of this generation needs about ~500 MB/s total of bandwidth to satisfy all of the audiovisual requirements. RDRAM was the only RAM that could serve that much bandwidth in a single allotment. But yeah, the latency was crazy. We're talking ~640ns.

In theory if you optimize your code to minimize random accesses it's quite powerful since it serves up all the speed in one go, but it's difficult to pull off.

>The lack of proper documentation on how the RCP if you were not Rare or Factor 5, etc.

RCP is an amazing chip if you know what to do with it. It's ridiculously ahead of its time. SGI were literally gods. It's virtually a perfect mid-90s GPU, only limited by the surrounding cheap N64 architecture. Good developers like Rare optimized their code to get the full power out of it.

We need die shots now.

Here's RCP (N64's GPU)

RSP is the vertex shader
RDP is the pixel pipeline / ROP

reddit: the post