/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless
innerfidelity.com/images/MeelectronicsAirFiMatrix2AF62Bluetooth.pdf
amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/
amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/
innerfidelity.com/images/TeacCTH02.pdf
cdn.innerfidelity.com/images/styles/600_wide/public/Science_InterpretingSquareWaves_Illustration_InterpretingSquareWaves_0.jpg
amazon.com/StarTech-com-ICUSBAUDIO2D-Adapter-External-Digital/dp/B00F7120TQ
amazon.com/TopOne-Channel-External-Sound-Adapter/dp/B00WJVGDX6/ref=zg_bs_3015427011_7
groupon.com/deals/gg-polk-audio-hinge-over-ear-headphones
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They actually aren't bad on the carts. I can feel them vibrate if I put my hand on them, but it isn't causing any noise or anything that is bothering me. The one cart is farther to the right than the left is though so I can tell its uneven, need to re-arrange it.

Thing with subs is I get headaches easily so I tend to keep them very low anyways. I have one in my media room surround setup, but I mostly just wanted better speakers than shitty logitechs since my desktop is in another room now. The sub would probably help, but not sure I will use it enough to justify another $200 on a sub.

Should try my headphones with the DAC now too.

reposting from old thread

>Budget
less than $200
>Location
US
>Source
home PC
>Preferred type
full size
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
would like to be able to wear them for ~3 hours straight
>Preferred music
Kanye, Lamar, Queen, MJ, bit of concert/orchestra, piano (both classic and new stuff)

Was looking at ATH AD900x, but I don't know if the bass response would be enough for rap or even the bass instruments in wind ensembles. HD598 was kinda alright, but looking for better alternatives. Considering AKG Q701 too, but the reviews sound like it's the more expensive version of AD900x.

These tubes sure are going to keep me cozy for the coming winter because they get so fucking hot.

I just purchased the Everest 700 and there is a really annoying static sound when I use the headphones on my PC. I have the Bluetooth charger cable connected along with the audio cable because the audio quality is straight garbage with just the audio cable.

What should I do? Does anyone know how to fix this?

look around on ebay or amazon for refurbished or used in good condition fidelio x2s

they compete favorably with the hd-600s if you like a more bass heavy signature with slightly less detail everywhere else

An alternative could be the DT880, it's got more bass than both AD900X and Q701 and has a similar treble peak.

Comfort-wise i'd say it goes:
DT880 > AD900X >>> Q701
Those bumps in the headband can ver painfull after a while.

Charging is more than likely causing the problem

Not sure why you'd buy those headphones, even if you have to go local Best Buy has a decent selection, especially if they have a Magnolia

Yeah, I agree that I fucked up with the purchase. If I take out the Bluetooth charger and use it with just the audio cable the sound quality is extremely bad. Could this be a problem with my audio jack? My iPhone earbuds also have really bad quality when I use them with my PC.

Probably

If it's a desktop, try plugging it into the back of it, if you have a 3.5 port

If anything, just buy a usb bluetooth adapter for your computer for like 6 bucks off amazon or ebay

>usb bluetooth
Enjoy your compressed audio

it's probably better than what user hears

>Enjoy your compressed audio
all audio is compressed
unless you have a library of WAVs

>all audio is compressed
U wut m8? Never heard of albums or CDs?

There is a DAC Music Hall 15.2 on sale in my country for $100. Should I get it or go for something else?
Everything music relatered is extremly expensive here so $100 here is probably $70 on USA.
I own a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite and HyperX Cloud II and a FiiO X1

What full size headphones leak the least amount of sound?

compressed=/=lossy

Straw man? No one claimed that compressed = lossy. It is well recognized that compressed can be lossless. However, are you going to assert that default bluetooth compressed audio is lossless?

Thoughts?

i'm not that guy, just saying

>However, are you going to assert that default bluetooth compressed audio is lossless?
audiophile-tier bluetooth uses a tech called aptX which support lossless transmission. All of the bluetooth headphones I've owned support this standard out of the box.

(p.s: analog cables and 3.5mm jacks aren't 'lossless' either)

>audiophile-tier bluetooth
Oxymoron. I don't know of any audio enthusiast, audiophile or otherwise, who recommends any bluetooth headphones.

>aptX which support lossless transmission.
Yes. There are proprietary tech that gets bluetooth audio to CD quality (except when its out of power, range, etc.) aka at best as good as wired headphones.

> All of the bluetooth headphones I've owned support this standard out of the box.
All one or two? Sony has their own version too with the same problems.

garbage.

Inside there is the rotating ball join that lets the headphones swivel.

Guess which plastic piece gets all the pressure from the ball joint pressing on it ?
Yep that plastic piece.
it is very common for those things to break/crack.

it is a design flaw they they refuse to address, because after all you will just buy another one and blame it breaking on your own carelessness.

Would you recommend anything else in a similar price range?

Budget 150$, location Israel, source is computer and phone.
I want the headphones to be full sized, I don't care if they're opened or closed. I'd be willing to accept less comfortable headphones if it meant better sound quality, but to a degree, I don't want my ears to be hurting after an hour of use.
I'll be using them mostly for watching movies or listening to music (wide ranging).

Any recommendations? I was looking into the Sony MDR7506 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50x but couldn't really decide.

Shipping to Israel is $14 from Amazon? HD558

Sonys

The Designer's Dilemma:
Any feature added to solve a problem will itself have a problem.

Just like beyers!

I'm looking to replace my brother's Razer Kraken (yes, I know). Would the Takstar HI 2050 be a suitable replacement, or should I spend more? He pretty just just games and watches movies.

aptX is *not* lossless, it is a lossy alternative to the default Bluetooth codec, SBC. It's a secret format which makes doing listening tests very difficult, so there is no evidence that it actually performs better than SBC.

Fill out the form

Just got ATH-M50x yesterday.
They are unbelievable and I love the bass.

>Budget
less than $100
>Location
Portugal
>Source
Phone and Laptop
>Preferred type of headphone
Both
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I normally wear them for 2 hours
>Preferred music
Rock

How colored are XB950?

>Budget
unlimited but if there isn't too much of a difference between a 300$ pair and a 1500$ pair then i will go with the 300$ one. i don't want to pay for placebo
>Location
usa
>Source
pc but i can buy a dac or amp if i have to
i need both in ears and full sized
>Open or closed
both because i might use one outside
>Comfort level
i'll be wearing them most of the time so they should be very comfortable but i don't want horrible or bad sound
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral sounds best to me

Allright Sup Forums, gonna try this again today, yesterday I only got trolls telling me to not go wireless. I did not ask if I should or shouldn't, whether its better or not, I need wireless, so which one is the best considering budget and criteria below.

forgot to post the rest

Looking for wireless around ear headphones.

>Budget
90-140 Euro
>Location
Netherlands
>Source
Smarthphone, laptop
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I mostly need it during lifting weights
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't really know, I know what it means but don't know what they sound like.
>Preferred music
Drum and bass, neurofunk, Hiphop and sometimes heavy metal
>Past headphones
Mostly chap shit, currently using JBL in ear reflect wireless and hyperx cloud 2. I like the JBL a lot, have them for a year and half, but they only sound good at home, in the gym they sound like normal earphones because of the background noise. The hyperx cloud 2 is perfect, maybe its because I only got them 2 weeks ago and I haven't tried lots of other headphones except for bose and beats, but they are super comfy, fit nicely and the sound is really great......its just that they're wired, so Iyes I'm looking for wireless headphones. Been looking at audiotechnica, though I can't find anything in my country, and the sony XB950

>I only got trolls telling me to not go wireless
Let's get this straight. You were informed by multiple people it is a bad idea to spend money on wireless headphones and you still believe they are all wrong and merely trolling you?

>I need wireless
If our words are wasted on you why are you even bothering to ask our advice in the first placE? No. I don't believe that it is not our advice that is the problem but your selective ignorance of advice you do not like. A lot of people are like you and do not like the truth. That does not make it any less the truth, or worse, any less wrong to post anything less than the truth when asked for one's honest advice.

one last try.
guideanon, let's fix the guide.

Are you perhaps the same user who was against the idea of giving people what they ask for the in recommendations and instead try to "educate" the anons asking for purchase advice of why wireless(or something else like headsets) is often considered bad? If the user needs wireless, you recommend wireless. If the recommendation is impossible or completely ridiculous, point it out but don't be a sperg who thinks your own criteria for headphones should match someone asking for advice. What the user needs should be apparent from the template and that's as far as you should read into it. This seems yet again like a situation where the person asking isn't all that interested in audio quality which potentially could be the only reason not to recommend wireless headphones but the people giving recs are completely fixated on that.

If the person asking for advice wants to know more or hear a second opinion on the type of headphone they are looking for, by all means post what you know which should be something else than "no don't get wireless because wireless is bad".

Your criteria is hard because of the lack of data of full sized wireless headphones in that price range. Most people here probably don't have any in-depth information of products matching what you need. A quick glance on the IF wall of fame shows a few possible options.

innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

The MEElectronic Air-Fi Matrix2 AF62 has a rather impressive set of features and the measurement isn't half bad either:

innerfidelity.com/images/MeelectronicsAirFiMatrix2AF62Bluetooth.pdf

>A lot of people are like you and do not like the truth. That does not make it any less the truth

If you would have read all of my posts, you would have known now that I agree with wireless having less soundquality than normal headphones. Now I absolutely will not go with wired headphones, because I get fucking irritated by the mother fucking wires, no matter how or where I hide them, AND also the phone is always in the way, when deadlifting, it gets stuck between my thigh and barbell, when squatting (pic related) the phone gets stuck in my hip crease, when bench pressing it falls out of my pocket......but this is when I even do wear pants with pockets, which I don't because I wear tight pants since its easier to move and my legs won't get sweaty as fuck because legs are hairy. Now then comes the armband pouch, I have one and I have used it, and it just makes it all even worse, just another item that has to be added, I want to carry as little as possible on my body, goddammit is that hard to understand? Don't you see I have tried all the suggestions already otherwise I wouldn't ask for a wireless headphone. Couldn't you have just recommended me something even if you think wired is better without me having to explain all of my reasons in life, just respecting my choice, you can't tell me how to feel or not with those damn wires around, its subjective. If you had said like ''wireless headphone A is good'' and I was like no I think B is better, THEN you would have been right for asking ''If our words are wasted on you why are you even bothering to ask our advice in the first place?''.

part 2

I even mentioned that I have JBL in ear reflect bluetooth headphones which I bought for 100 euro and I like them alot, then how can you tell me that I won't like it? Imagine then how I would like around ear ones. Cause basically thats what you're saying; You shouldn't like them because of reasons A, B and C, and if you don't agree then you have a problem with truth.

From all the wireless headphones, which is the best for my budget? Or are you implying that there is no difference in quality and that they are all the same so I might as well pay 20 euros???

You absolute filth of a human being, pseudo intellectual shit.

Thank god there are also people like you. He's saying that I'm denying the truth, I'm not because I don't have enough knowledge about the subject, but I know what my taste in comfort is. And you are right that my criteria is hard, thats because I want something which in my mind I know what it is, but I don't know whether such exact thing in real life exists. That other fuckface was trying to do me away as an asshole while he was the one being a cunt and unwilling to help or even understand.

>innerfidelity.com/images/MeelectronicsAirFiMatrix2AF62Bluetooth.pdf
Thanks again dude

do you have an opinion on the sony xb950? They cost like 130 euro

>If the user needs wireless
I have yet to be convinced of any situation in which user needs wireless. Simply because he says he does is not convincing. Not even believing he does especially after not discussing it but simply blowing off discussion as "trolling."

>I get fucking irritated by the mother fucking wires
If you coil/tie up then the only thing that will bother you is your own unwillingness to use something wired. They would just be like sunglasses with built in mp3 player and earpods that Lance Armstrong used to pitch a few years back. ESPECIALLY if you get something with a detachable wire and-

>You absolute filth of a human being
Wow. Just wow. I'm sorry that you are so offended that you feel a need to insult a complete stranger on the internet simply because you are not getting the pretty lie that you want.

>guy prefers different kind of headphones
>you absolute filth of human being, pseudo intellectual shit.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some purchase advice, gonna get some real headphones cause I'm sick of gaming labelled shit.

>Budget
Anything around/under 100 euros

>Location
Belgium

>Source
Computer and phone

Full sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Idk, as long as it's not totally uncomfortable

>Preferred tonal balance

Don't care
>Preferred music
Don't care, I'll mostly use it for games

>Past headphones
Gaymur trash

Why does amazon.de have such shit availability for headphones? I'd normally suggest the XPT100 at that price point. Maybe the Takstar Pro 80 if that's not available. Funnily enough, the only one of those two is a rebranded Takstar Pro 80 as a gaming headset.

I'm gonna check those out senpai, thanks

same rquest.
All the same criteria except no bluetooth, but I need to be able to take the wire off

Bedtime bump. Hope the thread is still alive when I wake.

>TFW DS4 transmitter amp is enough to drive HD800 to high volume.

Where you was, when audiotists from head-fi got BTFO?

>audiotists from head-fi got BTFO?
And from Sup Forums

The form won't help me here because i have the headphones but i don't have a source for them
what is a good cheap dac that won't break after a year?

What's Sup Forums's opinion on Mrspeakers Ether?
I currently have a modded HD800 but kinda curious about the Ether. From reading, I can't conclude that Ether is the better headphones though.

Objective 2 DAC+amp. Can be used with different system as plug-and-play (for example PS4), cheap and outperform other 1500$+ dac/amp combo.

If you think your audio will be better with external dac or amp, I would suggest to lower your expectations. If you don't hear static hiss by using integrated dac, you will not hear any difference with new one (if you do, that because they distort, or how audiophiles love to say "color" your signal i.e. working as hardware equalizer). If your volume slider not on 100% all the time, you don't need amp ether.

>Budget
$100 (U.S.)
>Location
Canada
>Source
DAC
IEM
>Open or closed
IEM
>Comfort level
High
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
Electronic
Classical
Alternative rock
>Past headphones
Klipsch X10 (I'm trying to replace this after it broke)

Is there any good cheap/chinese active noise cancelling headphones or earbuds? I've tried some Bose ones at a noisy store and everything felt so calm suddenly...

But you know, they cost $400 and
>Bose

it's way more accurate, but HD 800 are $300 headphones fidelity wise, so it doesn't say much

Do you got everest 700 or everest elite 700? I'm curious if non elite got dsp as well.

I have the same problem with everest elite 700, however only when I don't have any sound playing. Think the dsp can't handle silence in wired on mode.

You can have them in on mode even without a charging cable connected.

Don't got any fix but I just never use them wired. I never intended to use them wired to begin with and just tested when I got them to see how it worked.

>Orthodynamic
Nice outdated tech grandpa

561035 > 094029

>Budget
$50
>Location
America!!
>Source
Phone and Laptop
I don't really have one, just need to be comfy
>Open or closed
Closed, I plan on using them in public often
>Comfort level
Very comfy please, the less I notice them the better
>Preferred tonal balance
Bright, I listen to a lot of cute anime girl music.
>Preferred music
Cute anime girl music
>Past headphones
some shit that costed like $10 from fucking Walmart

i am waiting warmly for your responses.

Sold out in my country, importing from USA. For now I am forced to use this kind of adapter.

Hi. Tascam TH-02 with HM5 pads. Very underrated starter headphones.
No offense and my opinion but I didn't like the HyperX Cloud when I tried it at the store.
I got my HM5 pads from MP4Nation when they had a 25% off sale in April.

amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO/
amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/

innerfidelity.com/images/TeacCTH02.pdf
cdn.innerfidelity.com/images/styles/600_wide/public/Science_InterpretingSquareWaves_Illustration_InterpretingSquareWaves_0.jpg

Not sure about that, I've read conflicting opinions that said Ether is more not worth the asking price

>Not sure about that
go have a look at the measurements then

You could try to find a deal on some AKG K240. They're seem to have a good present sound you may like.

most headphones have a present sound. the drivers are right next to your ears.

>Budget
50-80$
>Location
Romania
>Source
Laptop
Anything that's good for djing in loud places
>Open or closed
don't really care
>Comfort level
as comfy as possible, but I don't mind using headphones with a medium confort level as long as I like how they sound
>Preferred music
I prefer all kinds of music but I will use this headset mostly for EDM.

Just noticed that you want closed back, so they may not be the best actually.

I meant bright by saying "present". I'm used to using present as a term associated with guitar amps, which is a control of high treble frequencies basically.

Anyways

>Budget
Around $175, slightly flexible

>Location
U.S.

>Source
Computer into DAC

Full sized over ear

>Open or closed
Going to try open

>Comfort level
Moderately to highly comfortable

>Preferred tonal balance
I prefer a somewhat neutral sound, should be nice and clear. NOT a V shape, so the beyer DT models are not an option.

>Preferred music
Shoegaze, electronic (vaporwave, chillwave, ambient, synthwave), jazz, rock/metal

>Past headphones
AKG K44 - cheap but really not bad at all. They've been durable and comfortable, and sound nice, but lack the openness and "soundstage" I'm looking for. They have done a good job for producing - which I intend to also do with new headphones

I've been looking at a few models. These include the HD598 and the AKG Q701 (About the same as the K701 and K702).

k7xx

alternatively just get a cheap shp 9500 and save up for an hd600 in the future

Should I buy the Shure srh1440? I can get them for 160 euros.

you can get better headphones for €160

Hey there. I posted yesterday asking for some advice and some kind anons suggested me the Sennheiser 558s. My budget is $100-150 USD so if I can get the 598 SEs for $145 should I get that instead?

Is there any major differences that justify spending more or should I stick to the 558s?

they are the same headphones except for a piece of foam that can easily be removed from the hd 558

Any recommendations?

K612

Favorite headphones you own or have owned?

Among M50, SRH840, AD700, HD598, HD600, HD800, LCD-2 and LCD-3

LCD-3 kinda curbstomps, bit unfair considering the price though. But I'd give second place to the HD600. I love those headphones.

Why are headphone threads so fucking slow now? God damn.

What's the best modmic to buy for gaming? I see there's many variations of them.

there's little reason to get anything but uni-directional.
the real question is if you want to pay another $7 for a mute button.

Oh I see. I'll go with the ability to mute.

Would this be enough to connect it to? Instead of straight to the back of the PC?
amazon.com/StarTech-com-ICUSBAUDIO2D-Adapter-External-Digital/dp/B00F7120TQ

it works with most PC mobos. if it doesn't work on yours, you can get a cheap external USB sound card to fix it.
amazon.com/TopOne-Channel-External-Sound-Adapter/dp/B00WJVGDX6/ref=zg_bs_3015427011_7

880 is nice in general but it has a tight clamp and the pads touch your ears, akg's are much more comfortable imo, although the 701 has those headband bumps I think?, i've never tried those.

Is that you?, you posted the same picture yesterday, if so how much are you squatting there lad

you don't need to try out the headphones to find out if the headband has bumps. you can just google the name and have a look.

Opinions on the TH600?

muddy garbage

Obviously, i'm just saying that I've never tried a pair with the bumps.

An m50x is being delivered to me in a few days. What can I expect?

groupon.com/deals/gg-polk-audio-hinge-over-ear-headphones

Am I about to fall for something bad?

B A S S

and a decent set of closed cans if you spent ~$110 or less. I've got a set of M50s that I like a lot, but I'm thinking of throwing on some velour pads for extra comfort.

140 kg, 310 lbs I think

The clamp is relative actually, it's a metal headband, you can strech it to your prefference with a few books over the night, pads don't touch mine, maybe your ears are bigger? Always something to check before buying a headphone.
Q701 still has the bumps in the headband.