I feel bad for amazon

I feel bad for amazon..
>they can't even give away their shitty tablets and phones

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/13/11673876/amazon-programmable-dash-button-aws-iot
youtube.com/watch?v=dfgcZKaDzWc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's $49 though.

else i'd buy one

Because adware bundled and tied to your Amazon account.

Nexus 7 2013 blows them out the water.

FireOS is cancer, really
It's literally adware: the operating system, built on top of Android.
It shouldn't even exist.
Hell at least put the Play Store in it, not malware ridden ones on the amazon store.

I has one. I put Android on it though. Fuck fire OS.

You can extra to not have that feature.

*pay

>it's $49 though.
It was 39 a week ago. Still everyone should wait until the sept refresh comes to buy the new ones.

And the resolution will be shit still.

So? If it bumps it to 720p then it will be well worth under $70 for it.

They should stick to focusing on improving their e-ink ebook readers. I love reading on my Kindle DX.

>improving their e-ink ebook readers.
They just did with the oasis.

I bought one. Immediately regretted it. Ad and bloatware every inch of the thing. Rooting it helped.. but there's till a lot of cancer to be cleansed.

>Rooting it helped.. but there's till a lot of cancer to be cleansed.
What are you talking about? If you rooted then I'm sure you would flash a new rom. Otherwise you it for as intended which is to Amazon Prime Video. A lot of the old content isn't even in HD anyway. So the screen res doesn't matter.

I know they're continuing to improve, my Kindle DX is a couple of years old and there have been a few improvements since then, I just feel like Amazon should focus more effort on this than tablet readers, etc.

I'm not very familiar with re flashing tablets/phones. I may look into it at some point because fire is aids.
For now, it's just a youtube box.

The best part is how Amazon completely skipped over E Ink Triton and Triton 2, which were color. Since their largest customer wasn't going to buy them, E Ink switched back to producing black and white displays that Amazon would buy.

>I just feel like Amazon should focus more effort on this than tablet readers
See the problem is that tablets are getting so cheap and long battery life that it may result in e-ink being obsolete in a few years. People already complain that muh comics don't work well on e-readers.

As I see it, the purpose of e-Ink is to save a person from eye-strain when they're reading a lot. This was always the problem with ebooks online, that any extended period of reading on a screen was terrible for your eyes, e-Ink is supposed to be like reading a real book, it's much better for you.

I bought one of their cheapies a while back to sit on my elliptical machine in my garage. it's a shitty tablet, but for watching prime and netflix while burning off my winter belly it's been a damn good investment.

i don't really understand the tablet market to begin with tho...the decision to get a fire stick/chromecast and plug an old tv in my wall just barely lost to getting a cheap tablet to put on the console of my elliptical. but yeah, why ppl buy the really good expensive ones just for whatever is beyond me.

Amazon doesn't give a shit about that. E Ink can't do video, which means if you buy an E Ink device they can't hawk their Prime Video shit on you, which interferes with their dreams of becoming the new Netflix. That's why you're seeing more Kindle Fires and fewer E Ink Kindles.

got two on black friday.
rootjunkie guides made it more usable.

This is a good point.

I would also add that their e-ink technology is basically perfected. I mean you can put a 1000 books on a device that could last almost a month on a charge reading like 3hrs a day. It is even viable to charge it with solar giving you post apocalyptic reading and knowledge to fight the zombie horde and heal from radiation!

>their e-ink technology is basically perfected
Not even close. It's not color and it can't handle textbooks. The Kindle DX is the closest to perfect among their E Ink devices, but it also has no WiFi, color, touch, or backlight. It's also slow as shit and the bezel is huge. Plus, the interface is also horrible and the OS is a piece of hot garbage.

>Not even close. It's not color and it can't handle textbooks.
So, it can read like every other book out there? That is fucking perfected dude. Not your niche need a big screen and pdf for textbooks or your niche color for your comics. It does books and does them well.

Yes, it does regular books very well. But that's still leaving out a gigantic portion of the print media market. There are a shitload of books that use color imagery.

Also, ideally the device would have a wacom digitizer so you could take notes, which would be amazing with color. There are tons more ways an E Ink Kindle could be made better.

>>their e-ink technology is basically perfected
>Not even close. It's not color and it can't handle textbooks.

It can handle textbooks fine. The reason you don't see textbooks on e-ink kindles is screen size & aspect ratio.

It's very easy to reflow a chapter book in order to fit as much or as little as you want on one page. A textbook with margins, figures, etc which have to remain positioned correctly relative to each other, cannot be reflowed. both the book file and ebook format must be designed for a fixed screen aspect ratio and zoom level, which is trouble when you consider the huge variety of device screens out there.

>It can handle textbooks fine
No, it can't. The grayscale makes it virtually impossible to distinguish lines on a chart for example. The slow refresh rates make it unbearable to search for information. It's a horrible experience.

>Also, ideally the device would have a wacom digitizer so you could take notes, which would be amazing with color. There are tons more ways an E Ink Kindle could be made better.

But then we are back to you are better off using a tablet, especially a student for text books. Not going to put in an expensive wacom without photo software, etc.

Normally I'd agree, but using a stylus on a glossy tablet screen is disgusting. The matte display of E Ink is much more preferable. It just needs work to make better devices.

>glossy tablet screen
Not all of them are glossy though. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" tablet has matte.

not relevant to many textbooks.

For example, K&R C, works beautifully on kindle paperwhite.

Obviously you won't read an art history text on e-ink, but most computer science books would be just fine.

Actually, I was referring specifically to math textbooks, which often use different colors to illustrate models, graphs, and charts. Stewart's Calculus is fucking impossible to read even on a Kindle DX.

While on the subject of Amazon. They just released what is essentially a $20 dongle to access their subscription services.
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/13/11673876/amazon-programmable-dash-button-aws-iot

Until I read this I didn't even know the Dash buttons they've been selling for almost a year now were actually a thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=dfgcZKaDzWc
This is the stupidest thing ever.

>math textbooks
Fair. Though I have a lot of single-color-print math textbooks with nary a graph or chart inside (pic related)

Never used one on my kindle, though, and I can definitely see your point.

Is there a reason to have a specialized book for Hilbert spaces instead of a functional analysis book?

Had a graduate course in Hilbert Spaces specifically, required this book.

It's really solid, concise, would recommend if you're into it.

they're crashing and burning and going to leave a void on the internet purchasing power and warehouse network for years to come

I wouldn't even want one for free if it tied me to their services.

Nah man.

E-ink displays are without argument the closest thing you can get besides printing out a page. They are absolutely wonderful for reading text.

And they are dinosaurs now in the tech space. My PRS-300 compares well screen wise to the low end kindle.

That could have been a near perfect tablet if it were not for the issue that if you were to make an mark or crack on the screen, the touch sensor would completely fuck up and would be unusable. i have a small crack on mine and the screen looks fine, but the touch sensor is broken.

Got one for my mother recently just so she could do her Facebook and Pinterest and whatever.

>The lockscreen is always an advertisement (Some interactive/Animated)
>There's even a little section where you can scroll through all the advertisements they want you to see for the day
>No option to change the forced advertisements in anyway
Tbh.

You can remove advertisements without rooting apparently, but it requires a batch file and other stuff.

>buying your mother an ad ridden tablet an not bothering removing the tablet you are a shit son

I removed and root my mother's tablet

>I feel bad for amazon..
>>they can't even give away their shitty tablets and phones
they're giving them away at cost because it makes them money because you buy amazon services.

They probably cost 5$ to make in china, with most of the cost associated in shipping it to your door

I root your mother too user