Anybody else still using a Core2Quad?

Anybody else still using a Core2Quad?

I have the q9450 and the x5470 (modded) and for being 10 years old they both still seem to be good chips. How would they compare to a newer AMD or i7? I can't seem to find core2quads, AMD or i7 IPC stats anywhere to do an accurate comparison.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu-world.com/Compare/565/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-560.html#bench
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Q6600 Master Race

Q6600 here.

Most users would never notice a difference between a Q6600 and a 6th gen i7

>Core2Quad
>Not recognising the superior Pentium D
Its almost like you enjoy wasting your money

I had a Q6600 up until last year, when the motherboard blew a couple caps. It was cheaper to upgrade than to find a decent replacement board.

May she RIP

mfw my Q9650 out performs a new FX-4350

Q6600 is all you'll ever need.

Caps are worth pennies and a shitty soldering iron can be had for like $3.

I just replaced an ep45 board for $50, replacing the system would have been too much of a headache

* Moore's Law has stalled.

* CPUs have been constrained by memory bandwidth since the late 1990's.

* Modern software, including modern OSes, are shit when it comes to excessive disk I/O and page swapping, adding yet another constraint.

* Most modern personal computing tasks were "solved problems" on much slower hardware. If it wasn't for Pajeet writing shit bloated code there would be zero need for newer hardware for web browsing, office work, etc.

* Ergo, most users can't see a difference between a Core 2 Duo or Quad and the latest overclocked i7. In fact, I can sit in front of a modern i7 with a HDD and it feels like shit compared to a C2D with a SSD because the SSD removes one of the major constraints.

how does the xeon do against the q9450? I'm thinking of getting one just to have moar cores (currently have a c2d)

This, I had to replace like a dozen caps on old LGA775 motherboard, including 8 solid state capacitors, which are somewhat more expesive, and they still cost me like $4-5.

Stock Q6600 here.

I easily overclocked the x5470 to 4ghz with 1.25v, I would go higher but I have shity ep35 mobo with very few OC options and it can't handle 400+ FSB without insanley upping the vcore, also I am using noctua cooling.

Event a first gen i3 performs better

wait for zen

I overclocked the Q9450 to 3.2ghz with 1.4v using the same cooling, I may have had a bad chip.

I only moved on from my q6600 last month due to muh gayming reasons.

It's been passed to my brother so will probably see another few years of use as a mid range gayming machine. I wanted more frames and some better VM support but really it was lack of upgraded ram and faster PCIe that wss the decider.

Been running at 3.4ghz since 2009, purchased 2008. Air cooled, highest temp recorded was 75 celcius in the middle of summer running crysis. Loved that chip.

source?

What did you upgrade to and how much FPS gains did you get?

My ass

cpu-world.com/Compare/565/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-560.html#bench

:^)

The x5470 clocked @5ghz has a Passmark Single Thread Rating Score of 1900 which is on par with a 2500k @stock speeds

Went from barely running Fallout 4 (medium settings at 1080p maybe 25fps) to buttery 60fps with all settings maxed and supersampling enabled.

Maybe more to do with the graphics card upgrade but the differences in the capabilities of the motherboard meant there was no real point in upgrading to a new card without also replacing the CPU.

i7-5820k running stock speeds.

Which card are you using?

Being the huge piece of shit it is, Fallout 4 is supposedly very CPU-reliant.

3DFX Voodoo 2

Riva TNT

still using a core 2 duo T8100 on my laptop

Its still good for autocad 2D, internet browsing sucks though, thanks google and firecuck

You are trying too hard.

Posting a link to a comparison of an i3 to a random cpu

I was looking the first posts about the Q6600, but a gen 3 i5 definitely beats the q9450

>he isn't using a 386 in 2016

>not a 286

Looks like you are not poor enough

Was on a 560ti but went for the 980ti

Yeah, new cards from nvidia are out, but first releases are crap, I usually wait a couple years for the build quality to improve and the fully tweaked and upgraded versions to filter through. Plus AMD might do something amazing.

Do they even post the IPC ratings?

Have the same CPU. Hold up pretty well against newer games too. Still I don't know why is there a huge ass L2 cache in it

I always wondered why they dropped the L2 to 8mb in the i7's, it seemed like a downgrade.

Probably for the L3 cache. Meh. Never looked into this. Just seemed fun knowing my q9450 beats a lot of i7s in something.

You can get the x5460 with a 9.5 multiplier for about 10-20$, if you overclock it you will see massive gains because they saved the best chips for the Xeons.

>literally named 'core 2'
>quad core
Why

So you wouldn't get it confused with the duo

I've never had this issue, but like all things I may one day.....
How do you know what's blown and needs replacing? How to tell?

q8300 here

to differentiate between the Core lineup

eg Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo

>processor is core i7
>doesn't have 7 cores

Failed electrolytic capacitors are easy to tell because their tops are bulging and sometimes cracked to allow the internal electrolytes out.

Failed Can-type solid capacitors also have the bulging top, but since they dont have the perforation lines that allow for non-explosive failure, they often have their tops completely burst.

As for replacing either, seek devices with the same general specifications and type. Voltage rating cannot be lower than the failed device, capacitance rating cannot be lower than the failed device.

That makes sense.
Cheers mate, hopefully I won't have to know this one day.

quads don't lie

How much did you pay for Q8300 and how high can overclock it?

Had a 2ghz quadcore. Upgraded to a 6700k. Feels like I'm on godmode man.

40$
I can't overclock on my current mobo

For normal light use anything past C2D with an SSD is fast enough right now. My base model Macbook which is probably spec wise the same as a Q6600 seems to perform faster than my dual Xeon rendering machine at most shit.

Mostly because the rendering machine runs HDD's which bottleneck everything. Even for light video editing it seems faster because the HDD can't keep up with scrubbing (also FCPX is very well optimised for shitty laptops)

What type of video editing, professionally?

Other than the heat and fan noise?

Q9550 here and it's complete fucking shit. Modern games have serious performance issues and I am stuck with DDR2, SATA II and USB 2.0 only.

I am waiting for Zen to upgrade.

you are comparing a dual core to a quad core, i would hope the quad core beats it.

how easy is a 5ghz to achieve?

Hacked Xeon E5430 here.

Casual shit it's still good.

This isn't a cancer speccy thread. Delete the image or get out

>using a stock cooler

>you are comparing a dual core to a quad core, i would hope the quad core beats it.
You are mistaken

>how easy is a 5ghz to achieve?
Depends on the mobo and cooling, some of these 771 xeons can get to 5.3ghz with good air cooling

This is true, but getting good solid oc on quads on 775 do require a good mb that can get high fsb and good vrm cooling.

Its amazing how well these cpus hold up today, tho with games like BF4 they show their age. I play team deathmatch fine and conquest up to 24 players, but over that they struggle. This was on a qx9750 running 4.2ghz.

I still use a q9550 @ 3.4ghz (comfy clock) on a rampage formula with 8gb ddr2 in my guest gamer for when I have friends over.

tfw downgraded from c2d e6750 to a10 7850k

amd can call their current shit quad 6 and 8 core all they want, those cores are glorified threads, it is a quad core system.

Yay, a c2q thread!
I have a q8200 oc'[email protected] in my current rig which i totally love; at startup everything is fucking laggy for at least 30 seconds, maybe it's avira or the pre-failing psu, other than that it's all gold, even some 4k videos at shit framerates.
I also have a q6600 in my garage which i used 2 or 3 times at best.

Thinking about transplanting the two in new shiny cases and repurpose them as file servers.

I use a Core2Duo. Which is pretty much the same. I still dev/game on it too.

It makes me comfy.

>using shit hardware
>not buying a glorious i7

Tech-illiterate Sup Forums user confirmed. There are eight physical cores on the die. That isn't up for debate. Two cores share an FPU between them. Don't even pretend that you know what an FPU does or how it affects performance.

I would use Q6600 over the Q8200, you can easily overclock it to 3.6ghz using the same 400mhz FSB that you are using now, because it has 9x multiplier, the Q8200 is crippled by the 7x multiplier.

>Don't even pretend that you know what an FPU does or how it affects performance.
You just opened a can of worms

>using deprecated hardware
>being proud of it

Nice poorfag thread

You are totally right, too bad i'm a lazy ass. I'll do it of course, sooner or later.

Spends money when there is no need, pollutes the earth with his throw away mentality, considers this proof economic status when it is really just mental illness.

I have upgraded because i think the mobo start crapping. I got i5 6402p that was on sale (costed like i3), it is like 6500 but with crapier iGPU - 510 vs 530 and have lower 4 core clock rate 3.2 vs 3.3. Have to say C2Q clocked to 4.05ghz cant hold a candle to it. The new i5 is like way faster in games but also feels faster even with things like outlook. SSD also performs way faster on sata 3 vs sata 2 port. Then there is 16gb ddr4 vs 8 gb 1066mhz ddr2. There is just night and day difference. I would say anything above i5-750 is not worth upgrading right now but if you need more performance you can get it with some cheap i5 no need to wait for zen. First generation will probably be not that good - remember amd trouble with die shrinks in the past. Not to mention that probably am4 will be shit socket because they will still try to push apus and mobos will have to be compatible with both. I personally will wait for second gen zen and am4+ (or just new gen am4 mobos) in 2018 or so. If zen is this good intel will have an answer in 2018 as well.

>There is just night and day difference.
Oh I know. C2Q chips are horribly outdated no matter what Sup Forums says. I am mostly waiting for Zen in hope of it causing a drop in Intel prices as well.
And if Zen isn't good then I'll just get a kaby lake 7600k or something.

You are polluting far more with these shit overclocked cpu with the highest TDP ever. I upgraded my quad on 2011 and I'm using a i7 right now, far lower TDP and more performance. If polluting is your problem, buy a used processor.

*2013, it's a 4770k

If one can run at i5 speeds, how would dual X5470s overclocked @5ghz perform? From what I have read the 6th gen six core i7s are only 20-25% better than the 2500k so would dual X5470s with 8 physical cores be equivalent to a new six core i7?

P6100
still runs like new

>Just seemed fun knowing my q9450 beats a lot of i7s in something.
no

>dual X5470s overclocked @5ghz perform
In games? Like shit most likley

Nope. I come from 12mb q9550 to lowest of the low i5 with 6 mb, clocked almost 1 ghz lower with the same 4 physical cores and no ht and i can tell you that i5 whoops its ass. Performance per clock is way lower if you come from c2q to sandy bridge. From sandy to skylake is not that high ~30%.

Yeah about 450w of heat from 2 x5470. Not to mention What vrm have support this? Dual sockets are not made for this they are workstation boards for the most part. Also consider you have to clock to 5ghz to get 200$ i5 performance on stock, because no way in hell 7 gen lower chip will have the the same multi thread performance. Face it anything older than sandy is crap. Also z68 and p67 are crap boards. They have problem with more memory and bigger than 4gb dimms. Z77 with ivy or sandy is legit platform.

How do you store cpus?

Have a Q6600 I got back in 2007 and haven't used that computer in about 2 years.

Will be upgrading to a new system for video editing (adobe premiere pro) and will use the i7 6700k. Need to get these videos out faster to impress the clients.

Two $10 cpus from the last decade can outperform a brand new $400 i7

I personally store in ebay.

I have had the q8200 for 7 damn years now and I want to get rid of it with a burning passion. Of course that would mean new mobo cpu and ram, but I dont just have 400 to spend.

the X5450 meme will never go away for some reason.

Buy a $10 Xeon and a 771 mod sticker overclock it 4+Ghz and get a few more years out of that system.

Qx9770 here

my mum uses my old C2Q

Enjoy your shittier toy with crap TIM. Have fun overclocking that.

Better than your shitty C2Q