What are your thoughts on the GRUB bootloader?

What are your thoughts on the GRUB bootloader?

free as in freedom

It never just seems to work out of the box on all the shitty laptops my classmates seem to buy. Never had an issue myself, just werks.

it might be my dying HDD bit I still feel like grub is shit. Never had boot issues with Windows

its not rEFInd, so it a shit

Mine likes to add two new entries every single time the kernel updates. So that's fun.

this

refind is top notch

run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to generate a new config file.

Does it support a salted/hashed password or encrypted boot?

It works. No reason to change it to something else.

Why not LILO?

Lilo and elilo are no longer being maintained according to the devs.

Not sure but, why do you want your bootloader to be encrypted? It looks for efi entries and boots them, encryption on the tail end of that is the problem of what ever the efi entry represents

I want my kernel and the boot partition to be encrypted. I can do that with grub.

As far as kernel encryption, i cant see why the bootloader would even be a dependency, not something im aware of, id assume the kernel handles that itself.

I cant see what the benefit of encrypting your boot partition would be, but its a pretty seasoned bootloader, so im going to assume it would support that since full disk encryption is pretty common, but i cant be bothered googling that for you

It doesn't jive well with NVMe drives.

Came here to post this.

Your distribution does that, not Grub itself.

Yes and yes

GRUB works well imo. and if something happens wiht windows. you can always fix with a live linux boot

>Not booting your kernels directly from uEFI

Its almost like you hate booting fast!