/dpt/ - daily programming thread // dijkstra edition

Despite being wrong about goto (koblents.com/Ches/Links/Month-Mar-2013/20-Using-Goto-in-Linux-Kernel-Code/) he's a pretty cool guy

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kjellkod.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/why-you-should-never-ever-ever-use-linked-list-in-your-code-again/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot, faggot

>leave out explicit checking for division by 0
>code fucks up in a one-off event
>intentionally divide by 0
>code works fucking fine
fuck me

Linked lists are obsolete

Well no shit sherlock, only cs undergrads like like them.

But muh O(1) inserts!

The Linux kernel uses them

you should use arrays in >99.9% of cases

Why? Arrays are better in any way i can think of.

Both have O(1) if you do amortized analysis

Yes because memory (re)allocation and memory fragmentation is incredibly important in kernel code.

Use a Vector. If you really, really think you need a List, try both and profile.

>C#

Because Linux is a hobby project unlike enterprise quality kernels like WinNT and Apple XNU

this, C# is fucking shit, only CRUD sub-110 IQ normie codemonkeys use it

What did he mean by this?

what is the logo for the top left one

What is this even a measure of?

I've prior experience with Basic. Now I work at a startup.

Insert it seems.

anybody can work at a startup, you can even make your own startup and work in it, its a startup!!!

kjellkod.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/why-you-should-never-ever-ever-use-linked-list-in-your-code-again/

The proprietary trading algorithims and platforms at my bank (big investment bank) are all written in C#.

just lambda calculus, he's basically spouting bullshit

Most banks still use COBOL and they do fine, what's your point?

Torvalds started out with BASIC

Pretty sure a fuckton of great programmers did, because things like >pic

the typical bank is full of shitters, that kind of software should have minimal latency and should be written in C/C++

The point is that the traders who maintain it are pretty much the pic

Thanks for sharing :D

shouldn't python be with php and java?

Ok so what language and where to learn?

im thinking c would be cool but idk.

also why does everyone hate node.js (whatever that is)

i think scientists use it for some reason, so that's why i left it in the nerd category. the only thing i moved was haskell. the rest i just gave a cursory overview to see it wasn't too out of place

>haskell not being in same list as CL and rust
The fuckers are the same. Always about "muh industry ready."

I moved python to the category with matlab because python is basically a language for scientists. While it's true that webdev types use python, its primary audience is scientists.

Learn Scala, it's a great language.

It has a series of numerical libraries that are useful for quickly analyzing data that you don't need to process on the fly.

I guess i agree, in which case why split numpy?

japanese

subbed anime streaming websites

>.NET not pajeet tier

The language you use to code trading software generally doesn't matter because the it's latency of the internet connection that matters the most.

>Using "CLISP", the name of *an* implementation of Common Lisp (and not even the most popular one at that) to mean "Common Lisp"

of course it's the retarded memeautists doing this

>this
korean is pretty nice as well and much easier to write.

dat
boi

The actual FUCK!. Why is "C" Pajeet tier?.

Why is this shitty meme becoming popular?

C, while hard to master, is very easy to learn.

The clisp icon is more amusing and I'm not aware of a symbol for common lisp.

I think you just justified where I placed your types though.

kys

every site has the same userbase

This is probably true

I wrote a web crawler in Python and CPU use was pretty much 5% at most on my T400

Use a lambda, the symbol for the common lisp hyperspec or make your own symbol using iconic macros and functions

you fucktard

>I LOVE CANCER!
>>>/reddit/

In that case that's every programming language on the planet then.

A plain lambda is already taken by Scheme bro. And Scheme is older than CL.

The clisp icon is still fun more fun than a lambda.

Fine, then use one of the other things I suggested. Don't use CLisp, because it does NOT represent what common lisp stands for.

>waahhh waahhhh but it's more fun
Shut the fuck up you retard, programming isn't about fun. Programming in its purest form is a battle of the minds, a timeless, worldwide, unending competition to prove yourself to be better than everyone else. Fun is for little skiddies who program in python, so take it and shove it up your ass kid.

Oh and PS: I am not your bro, nor am I black, so don't talk ebonics at me you skiddie.

your neckbeard is showing

Yeah, because having a neckbeard is sooooo uncool right guys?? Right??? hahahaha you sure showed me, "bro"!!! hahahahaha

I fucking hate you and I fucking hate all that people like you stand for. Programming used to be a field for us, for the outcasts, for the intelligent pariahs that had nowhere else to go. But no, you normiefucks had to invade our field, to destroy our culture and then try to push us out of the place we carved for ourselves on this Earth. Fuck you "bro", fuck you and fuck your stacy, I will not stand for your attempts to insult me for being ugly/whatever other characteristics you want to point out about me. You don't belong here, none of your kind do.

it's fucking hilarious, stupid sperg

>Hahahaha! It's SOOOOO random! Just like me!

kys

This lizard is in some of the sites dedicated for common lisp and pages for common lisp libraries.
Also there is the lisp alien but that's way more rare.

no

where does the science come in when someone says 'computer science', it can't be just programming?

you've got to be false flagging common lispers.

kys

Is this a new pasta?

I saw that but didn't go with it because a schemer is equally justified in using it.

because computer science has aspects of it that aren't programming

there's theories and proofs and shit

You both sure are triggered, did I hit a little too close to home?

you're the one that's triggered by the simple words "dat boi"

So if you programmed a light switch you could say that is computer science?

no, unless perhaps you programmed it in a fascinating new way to transmit information efficiently or something like that

Whatever, the guy I was arguing with shut the fuck up so it doesn't matter anymore

No, it's not a pasta. I wrote it myself.

it depends on whether you're a university or someone with common sense. A university would say yes and someone would say no, a computer scientist isn't a technician.

It was made on fucking tumblr, it should be rejected on sight.

is he a typist then?

Pajeet likes Javashit too, retard.

Lol I am the one you were yelling at for daring using CLISP as a symbol for common lispers.

Since you hate it so much, what's your favorite CL implementation?

Nah he's a programmer.

Steelbanks

if i kick a soccer ball, am i a soccer player?

by retarded /dpt/ logic, yes

dat boi BTFO

kys

What's so bad about basic? I mean, what is it about basic that's supposed to be so damaging to people who are learning to program? Is it mainly the goto thing or are there other things too?

hey /dpt/, what is better for a first language: C or Python?

python, because simple programs are like pseudo code

both are fucking cancerous

what is with your murritards, why do you have to go in either extreme, pick a sensible middle ground like java or C++

>Java
>sensible middle ground

kys

Sup Forums will surely disagree but Python, while not perfect, is better for a first approach since it holds your hand and lets you discover all algorithms and systems, whereas with C you'll just be lost in segfaults.

Is there any real advantage of using Java? Only one I can think of is only having to compile once and not having to compile multiple versions per operating system.

>C
>lost in segfaults

kys

python hardly teaches you anything, most shitters even ignore the OOP because the OOP in python is INSANELY shit, all you learn after months and months is basic control flow and how to use simple functions

java is orders of magnitude faster than python while being fast to write, is statically typed and is simple to learn and understand. it's very similar to C++, it's a great preparation for learning C++.

>having to compile once
not true, java programs must be compiled every time they are run