I thought VR performance was where SLI was supposed to actually be useful

I thought VR performance was where SLI was supposed to actually be useful.

Other urls found in this thread:

displayport.org/faq/#DisplayPort 1.3 FAQs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what the fuck is boost clock
and turbo clock on cpus
what the fucking fuck is this retarded shit
just state its fucking speeds... it's not like it even matters to begin with.

>In real world gaming scenario performance is almost comparable (this will be confirmed by reviews), but it is definitely not faster,
>a 70-80% performance upgrade over last years card means its a flop
980 was about 30-40% faster than the 780, so it still seems like they made a massive leap

based hardware encoding and decoding of absolutely everything. Buying just for it

sli does not mean 2x performance, real world scaling is between 150-190% depending on a game, with gtx 1080 being about 70% faster than 980 I'd say they deliver about what they said they would

U wot m8? You can have that with a 200$ card or less.
>buying 1080 for media server
You have too much money on your hands?

PASCAL CONFIRMED FOR ASYNC COMPUTE

Different market segment. 980 was a $550 card and not the flagship of its generation
1080 is a $700 card and will remain the flagship consumer card until at least mid 2017

I'm buying it for 4790k 16GB RAM not a media serve, as a replacement for GTX meme3.5

You're a fucking retard

GM206 does not support HEVC Main10 10bit hardware encoding or HEVC hardware decoding performance improvements of Pascal

No, it's the same market segment, namely that of the highest performing single gpu on the market. Also you're using the founders edition price tag, not the mrsp one. in which case it is only 50 bucks more expensive than the 980 was. And I'd say that's a pretty good deal seeing as the performance leap is much bigger than it was with the 980

>Scale begins at .5
>No mention of circumstances
*Actually performance increase may vary.
**Nvidia may release a driver update for the 980 to bring performance increase in line with marketing slides.

it does both iirc

They never released updates to cripple older cards, they just stopped updating them which meant the performance gap with newer cards became bigger

No it does not

GM206 only supported HEVC Main 8bit hardware encoding and the HEVC hardware decoder has lower performance and features compared to Pascal family's hardware decoder

the 980 is gm204, not gm206

i'm pretttttyyyy fucking sure the gm206 supports hevc 10bit encode/decode.

couldn't care less about low end card fami

>"One advantage the GM206 GPU holds over GM204 is its new video engine. While the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 support H.265 (HEVC) video encoding, only the GeForce GTX 960 decodes this forward-looking format. The GeForce GTX 960 promises to be an excellent choice for home theater PCs with the ability to play back 4K video at low power, and natively supporting HDCP 2.2 content over HDMI 2.0. "

den dun be fucking engaging in discussions homie

because you quoted me assuming you'll save me money saying 960 does the job(it does) but I said I need moar performance matey

Yes, but it's older decoder

You can see from the graphs, that Nvidia enhanced the HEVC decoder with more performance and new features over the HEVC decoder in GM206

And no, GM206 shares the same HEVC encoder of the entire Maxwell2 family, it does not support HEVC 10bit hardware encoding

wow brah you just saved AMDead!
now leave if you have nothing to contribute to the thread

gm206 does both. anyways you don't really want gpu hevc encoding because i read awhile back the less threads working on the encoding the higher quality and smaller file size it will be. how big the size and quality difference idk

does anyone know is DP1.2 cable are compatible with 1.3 or 1.4 ports. as in do I need a new cable or do they still use same cable.
I'm currently on 1.2 to 1.2 on 1440p 144hz screen and hoping to upgrade to something else as soon and 1.3 or even 1.4 becomes a thing

DP1.2 cable should be compatible but you'll be running at 1.2 specs obviously

Fully backwards compatible.

obviously silly me
ok. but I'm asking is there such a thing as DP 1.3 cable at all
displayport.org/faq/#DisplayPort 1.3 FAQs

They are speeds the card/CPU will self overclock to so long as they are running within thermal limits.
Often they can even overclock themselves higher.

PASCAL CONFIRMED FOR SHIT TIER ASYNCHRONOUS COMPUTING!

>
"Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream."

It doesn't matter what DP connector the GPU or motherboard are using, as long as it is Displayport of any kind it should be compatible.

nvm this is what I found

>dp 1.3 unitizes existing cables and connectors

It's actually even worse. Far less performance gains and better latency is about it but apparently you can scale a crazy number of GPUs so if you have the budget for 6 GPUs you can go nuts.

god I can't wait for 4k 120hz IPS

I'm not interested in the 1080 at all actualy.

I'm however very happy with the effect it has on used 980 ti's.

I've been seeing a 150-200 euro price drop on used 980ti's in the last week and the 1080 isn't even out yet.

I'm sure I'll be able to get a good deal on one in a few weeks time and snatch me a nice performance upgrade

With the money from my old card it should only cost me about 150 euro.

I always do this, I wait for the new generation of cards to be released and hammer down prices on the best card of last generation

Good for you, user.

kek

i don't think so familia