Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#howerror
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux

Cause im not an autist

Since I am running a Linux version of GNU I call it GNU/Linux

gnu/linux because i respect what stallman has done for users freedom

GNU/Linux because Linus has to be an annoying, trashy mouther and wants it named in his favor rather than compromising like Richard has by calling it GNU+Linux.

GNU/Linux is the correct way but it's super clunky which is why nobody (including me) is using it. But I honestly don't understand how things turned out this way. GNU/Linux has always been the GNU operating system with the Linux kernel. Linux is just one small part of the whole OS, there's more GNU stuff in GNU/Linux distros than Linux. Yet people still decided to call it Linux and leave out the bigger part (GNU) from the name and not the other way around. Why?

>knows what Linux is
>not an autist

pick one

They only call it Linux because Linus is a tacky loudmouth without the multifaceted intellect of Richard. The sub-intelligent are easily suckered into following those they perceive as confident because they seem to think that person is in the know.

the latter for online or when talking with free software minded folks.

the former when putting up a facade for normies.

GNU/Linux

No, but you are a true nincompoop. The majority have now taken to calling it GNU/Linux, as it should be. Do you want to live?

Linux, because I'm discussing operating systems that use the Linux kernel, not just operating systems based on the Linux kernel that come prebundled with shitware

What you're referring to as Chair, is in fact, Legs/Chair, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Legs plus Chair. Chair is not a furniture unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Legs system made useful by the Legs corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full furniture as defined by IKEA.

>Stallfags shitting up the thread
Fuck off autists, isn't it your scheduled gentoo fap session?

Pinguins are cuter than gnus.

Tovald: 1
Athiests: 0

Linux with GNU, X Window System, etc.

Because the kernel is by far the most difficult part. That's why FSF could never make Hurd any good. User-land is babby stuff in comparison to what St. Linus did.

I use Linux in a professional context. I'm afraid that if I start calling it GNU/Linux, they're gonna relay me to simple tasks for being autistic until they find a legally safe way to fire me.

Other way around, retard

>implying the Linux kernel is the legs
If GNU is so great, why don't they use their own kernel? :^)

I'm using Debian with HURD. It's even an install option.

>HURD

It's come a long way. I even switched to BSD to rid myself of Sinus the Penguin.

I switched to BSD to rid myself of GNU the shitware

GNU/Linux since linus is a sellout. He should be more like his dad.

HURD isnt that project abandoned now? Itd be a buggy unsuported nightmare if its still active.

Its like reactos. Lost in time.

No, you see I have no objections to the kernel (and those greatly contributing to it), but of his constant whining. On the other hand, you have a problem with the coreutils, et cetera---for what, pray tell? (I admit my switch was more interest than anything else, but I also derived great satisfaction in knowing I had removed the Linux kernel.)

>No, you see I have no objections to the kernel (and those greatly contributing to it), but of his constant whining
That's one of the most retarded things I've ever read.
>what's your problem with GNU coreutils
They're inferior.

No (yet anyway), they have gone into different directions according to the published study papers. The current was released six months ago.

I disagree. And I never said I was rational, cocksucker.

>I disagree
Good for you
>I never said I was rational
Retards normally aren't.

GNU/Linux online, when I want to humour the tradition of free software.

Linux in public, when I want to be accurate and not sound autismal.

>kernel
>difficult
bwahahahahahaha, what do you use to compile it, faggot?

>Linux in public
>not sound autismal
pick one

>Stupid doesn't know its stupid.

>Retards normally aren't.
I think you have some problem with yourself. I'm sorry life isn't working out for you. Please, leave me alone now. You're not pleasant or amusing.

>using HURD
>thinking you can look down on anybody
Even Windows users are above you.

You like to throw around the word "retard" often. It's annoying.

Linux/GNU/X
or LInux + gNU + X > LINUX for short

I wasn't looking down or up, fucking weirdo. Also, It's not like a game. Use any OS. I wouldn't claim superiority with any of them.

this to not scare normies

How would you know? You've only seen me use it twice, retard.

Cute.

>told
>animooooooooooo

I work in a data center that only uses Linux, not one fuck in that building ever says GNU/Linux lol

Thanks bby

That's okay. I was only posting in typical Sup Forums fashion.

>multifaceted intellect
>eats toe jam in public

Pick one

>only uses Linux
doubt they use the kernel only; sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about; let me guess, you're the janitor there?

multifaceted intellect/eater of callouses

Linux is only a kernel.

Linux is a kernel. Must be hard for you to come to terms with this.

The funny thing is, you know that's not what I meant. Only pedantic autists call it GNU/Linux

I`m on Kali right now. Anyone else?

>Linux is only a kernel
Exactly. Linux will always be a kernel. Too bad Linus must spend his time devising analogues to explain his selfish reason for nixing the GNU bit in the title, whereas Richard has allowed for Linux in the title. Richard also explains the reason why Linux does not deserve sole recognition in a way that a true genius does, without constant fall back onto petty examples. RIchard Stallman deserves better than Sinus' jabbing. What an imbecile. I-I know t-the majority agrees with me here.

Linux is only a kernel. Many people have contributed with complex projects, yet Linus will not accept a dual title. This strikes me as some sort of personal complex. It's really disgusting. The supporters will disregard this and chalk it up to, "Oh, he is a really funny and outspoken man. Says it like it is"!

That's ridiculous.

All I asked was anyone else using Kali... But i just call it Linux because its easier and causes less confusion in conversations.

>But i just call it Linux because its easier and causes less confusion in conversations.
I agree with you. I was just kidding.

Linus said himself "i like to pretend im humble"

I was kidding, friend!

Wow. Even by Sup Forums standards I think you're a dick. You're in an argument. You can't just cross you arms and go "Well you disagree with me so you're dumb."

So he can call me a cocksucker and I should just sit there and take it like the littel bitch you are?

At the data centers I've worked at, everyone just used the distro name

Yes. You were being a cocksucker.

GNU/Linux because freedom is more important than convenience

Nah

>how does the GPL work

If GNU cared that much about freedom they wouldn't have taken 30 years to program an incomplete Kernel.

kernels are only the most difficult part if they are not monolithic.
His dad is indeed pretty awesome for a politician.

Hurd has only been in development for 5 years

You took me serious? I was semi and somewhat. but never your ass. See, where it is it isn't, but where that was, I say you were in the naysayers position if any sort of vote could be polled. See, where it stands now, there are such insinuations coupled at both ends of my statement and yours. First, the side I mean to refrain from penetration is the one that obviously supersedes precedent when one uses Linux. What I mean by that, per say, is that even if one shall so therefore you have the ends for when you look like the antagonist, and I, the one shouting none too often, the inflammatory rhetoric used to incite reaction should one not agree in the slightest. Therefore, I have demonstrated my commitment here and at best, I wasn't even committed. Without aim I was. It's all enjoyable for me regardless of outcome.

I demonstrated you where the cock. It's only a suckers game and you demonstrated perfectly! Dah!

Sure thing bud

Linux, because it's easier to say and write.

But I do recognise and acknowledge that the official name is GNU/Linux, I'm not some fucking autist that is sperging out over GNU.

[interjecting internally]

I mostly try to say "free operating system" or "open operation system", because that is why I use them.
I don't really care about the linux kernel or the GNU stuff in it.

*"open operating system"

When I'm talking about the actual Kernel, Linux.
When I'm talking about the OS, specifically without paying attention to the Kernel, GNU.
When I'm talking about GNU operating systems running on top of the Linux Kernel, GNU/Linux (same with HURD and other Kernels to not cause confusion).

Calling the OS Linux is retarded, there is no operating system called Linux. Linus and his fanbase can complain all they wants, should have written more than just a kernel.

So Stallman says that certain historic events lead to the state that the name of the OS was confused with the kernel. But did he ever specified those events?

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#howerror
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

GNU is a terrible name for an OS

so is Linux
i call my OS Debian but if someone asks what it is, i tell them it's an Operating system made from free (as in freedom) software.
only when talking about the combination of GNU and Linux in general it makes sense to call it GNU/Linux, otherwise the Distro name makes more sense.

Linux, because just having GNU oackages running above Linux doesn't automagically name it GNU/Linux.

Imaginge i'm a butthurt -dev and want to have the Linux name prefixed with my hit too. We end up calling it GNU/X11/wayland/SystemD/Opebox/dbus/[...]/Linux.
Let's be honest it looks SHIT.

Linux.

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

Just Linux because I wouldn't want to use anything associated with an anti capitalist madman.

>he doesn't know that Linus father was part of the communist party

a Linux Distribution is a Linux Distribution.
That in itself is an umbrella term that describes a system BASED and INCLUDING Linux AND other software.

That naming schneme worked for i don't fucking now how long, so why do i have to give credit to a dev going full retard?

We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth.

so HURD making GNU a fully fledged OS is a lie, because it still does not work

We would like credit for the GNU operating system no matter which kernel is used with it.

Making the GNU Hurd work well enough to compete with Linux would be a big job, and it's not clearly necessary. The only thing ethically wrong with Linux as a kernel is its inclusion of firmware “blobs”; the best fix for that problem is developing free replacement for the blobs.

that's why GNU forked Linux in the first place, right?
i used to call it linux-libre/GNU now.

Get my drift?

>HURD still doesn't work
Explain Debian GNU/Hurd then.

check the supported hardware and how well it runs.
then let's continue talking.

It runs fine on my Lenovo, even WiFi works.

And by your own logic, Mac OS wouldn't be a proper OS because it only works on a specific subset of hardware.

Linux, because saying GNU/Linux makes you sound like a virgin.

now you're going into blasphemy, comparing a proprietary OS - locked down by design, to a supposedly free as in freedom OS.

>fake RMS account
>fake Terry Davis account
why

>proprietary
>locked down
XNU and Darwin core is free as in freedom

It's actually the real Terry Davis account