/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>frequency checker
willmyphonework.net

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>Ignore the Cuckitel shill
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

Welcome to the club, enjoy your stay.

Other urls found in this thread:

frequencycheck.com/compatibility/ywOvS2X/xiaomi-hongmi-note-3-pro-redmi-note-3-pro-dual-sim-td-lte-16gb-2015112/united-states
cnet.com/news/bringing-your-own-smartphone-to-verizon-what-do-i-need-to-worry-about/
youtu.be/ehF0pGq-rHs
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
amazon.com/dp/B017BVLLC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KNCoxbN4FDD4G
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Buying a phone, primary concern is battery life. Budget cannot handle a major purchase like the S7.

After research, currently considering:
-Motorola X Play
-Oppo R9 Plus
-Huawei Mate 8 (leaning to this the most atm)
-Samsung A9 Pro (not yet released)
-Samsung A7
-Lenovo Zuk Z1

Any battery-focused smartphones that I missed?

Thanks.

Z3c

Moto X Pure, $350 for 64gb at Fry's (or $250 for 16gb).

>You better act fast cause I just bought mine >:)

Nigga fucker just took the last one

>We are accepting backorders

Have fun waiting 2 weeks breh

Seems to have a larger res screen and a smaller battery, sorta the opposite of what I want.

Hmm true

Which 2016 flagship has the best screen on time?

I'm into long shitposting marathons and I need good screen on time for that.

I heard the 6s had good SOT but theres no Sup Forums app so ehhh

from what ive seen the s7 edge and iphones have the best battery life and SOT, am i wrong?

Redmi Note 3 Pro gets 8 Hours + SOT, best device for longevity imo, using one now, on wifi and 4g mixed use, I get 7 hours 50 mins screen on time, if I just use 4g all day I only get 5 hours, if its just wifi then I can easily go 9-10 hours.

Does the S7 have root?

im on verizon i cant buy a chinkphone

Seconding the RM3 Pro. Love mine. Can't figure out how to set pin code or fingerprint, but everything else is great. Camera is not as low light sensitive as previous chink phones I have (but I have serious cameras for that.) The stock software having a touch scroll to adjust exposure up or down is nice

That particular phone (snapdragon model) supports almost every 4G LTE band iirc.

WHICH USB C CHARGER DO I GET OFF AMAZON I DONT KNOW SHIT

are Sup Forums apps easier on your battery than using a web browser?

Does anyone have the Chink image showing all the bands it does?

>Needing to shit post 24 hours a day

Note quite

frequencycheck.com/compatibility/ywOvS2X/xiaomi-hongmi-note-3-pro-redmi-note-3-pro-dual-sim-td-lte-16gb-2015112/united-states

I'm suspecting my android phone has a virus, any way to check and remove it? Never gave much thought to smartphone security until now...

Someone has an image showing the bands it supports, as the sites advertising it don't list them all iirc.

What's the benefits of getting a 64gb device when you can get a cheap 16gb and get external memory at penny cost?

There you go, supports B2 and B4, which is 2/3 of the bands Verizon uses iirc.

Doesn't matter, they're all sold out.

Verizon won't allow you to activate some chink phone on their network.

Is there a way to buy a phone through Verizon now without using their bullshit edge program?

Unless I'm missing something, you have the sim card and you put it in the phone. The phone is not locked.

Do you know how cdma networks work bruh

cnet.com/news/bringing-your-own-smartphone-to-verizon-what-do-i-need-to-worry-about/

"Unfortunately, many of the low-cost devices from China won't work on Verizon, not just because they aren't "certified" by Verizon, but because the technology is not compatible."

This phone supports CDMA

Of course it does, and the SoC is capable of working on every single band in north america. But the phone doesn't.

Well the specific phone works on B2 and B4, and has CDMA. Which is what is required for Verizon.

I'm thinking of getting a used iPhone 5 to replace my Moto G (2013)

I just have some specific questions: How does the lack of a accessible file manager work? Is it even possible to save memes on this device? Also, do I need a windows computer with iTunes just to start using the phone?

Thanks

convince me not to pull the trigger on an s7 edge and end my miserable windows phone existence

was considering a 6s(since i still havent used iOS) but once I saw how fucking huge of a screen the s7 has while remaining relativelysmall I thought why not plus all of the excellent reviews. the 6s plus has the same size screen as the s7 edge while being way bigger

the only downside I see is the speaker

I've heard the edge feature is just a gimmick and more troublesome then helpful. S7 might be better

Planning to buy the Moto Pure off their website, what's the difference software wise between this and the 5x?
I use all the Google Apps and social. Media shit on the 5x. Am I being limited to anything or is it practically the same

how is it troublesome?

anyways i figured i'd go with the edge because the battery is a lot bigger and most reviews say it's better than the standard s7

same shit, stock android experience with a few extra Moto features.

Samshit Note 4
Just get that 10000mAh internal battery, either that or just get several of the original batteries. I don't ever have to recharge my phone again since spent batteries goes in the recharge box before I use them

>USB C
You were meme'd

A better option would probably be Sony's Z3, since you mentioned batteries and speakers no other phone can beat the Z3 in that.

There's a mod you can install that has the top earpiece outputting audio as well.

youtu.be/ehF0pGq-rHs

Sounds better than the HTC 10 which is supposed to have decent speakers.

How much do you love The Office?

The Z3/Z5

What is a phone that looks like the sony z3/z5, but is better?

not him but sometimes i want to watch a few episodes. some of them were good

At least in my usecase, I realized that there's really no need for a file manager on a smartphone.

It seems ludicrous, I know, but I just never really missed it past the first week or two of iOS.

You can still save files, they just go to their respective apps. It works more efficiently imo.

no, you don't need a computer afaik. My 6s+ didn't.

Oh i like it.

I like the story, but the comedy is sorta forced.
Not something that would make me laugh

Don't pull this crazy shit

Way back when the dual-speaker Z2 was released someone ported something from it into the Z1 so that it can also port sound from both the bigger bottom speaker and the smaller ear speaker top front. Wasn't long before someone reported that the smaller speaker became cracked and tinny after frequent tests

sure, but my standard isn't to expect anything to make me laugh out loud (nothing does that for me). it's amusing and not tedious (we're talking about good episodes here, not the entire season), and that's good enough to play in the background or something while i'm on Sup Forums, working, whatever.

People do this on all sorts of phones, and it works fine.

Also, sony has shit build quality and QA.

Go ahead then but don't cry about it later

Sounds great but 5.7" is huge. I'm comfy with using my m7, which has 4.7". Is there some phone with max 5.2" that has a expandable battery and storage?

Galaxy S5, that's about one of the few phones that has both the SD and battery slot as well as huge third party battery packs. I don't know what the hell is everyone doing but seems like only Samsung regularly outs phones with those capabilities, and even then they haven't done such for a year or so.

Get the S6 Active if you can and want, that has sealed in battery but the SoT is over the roof.

Can anybody recommend a Free phone?

Give it back tyrone

Redmi 3, or mega battery chinkphone e.g Ulefone Power, Oukitel K6000 Pro, Leagoo Shark 1 etc.

Download MBAM.

Looks good. Will a snapdragon 801 and 2gb ram will be enough for the next two up to three years of software updates with cyanogenmod?
I'm not sure if I should wait for the k6k prem, it would work in my country.

it's the same 2,800mah battery in S5/Active

>people shilling Samsung phones

Touchwiz is cancer. Friends don't let friends buy Samsung.

#nexuslyfe

The S6 Active bruh, didn't mention the S5 Active, that one's kinda shitty

gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

And so the cuckold finally reveals himself.

Yeah no expandable storage or battery and shitty sot are surely nice.

oh right I see now, font fooled me. S6 is a beast.

Tell me what OS and device you have so that I may not ever have it

Why are apps still not using the fingerprint? I wanna easily login to stuff with my fingerprint.

Or is that too hard to make?

panjeets cant do it

windows 10 :^)

Because it's insecure as fuck.

Explain how Mr security expert.

Just think about it. How effective can a fingerprint scanner be on a device that is mostly made out of glass and has your greasy imprints all over it?

Its for protection from Jamal, not the FBI.
Android in general is insecure enough.

Id like some suggestions or my next phone. Iv never really needed to use a phone for much in the past other then calls, but Im getting left behind with everything my group is up too.

I currently have a lumia 520, which is a piece of shit, but it was cheap so cant expect much. I want to avoid windows phones, as the lack of apps is bullshit. My price range is around AU$300-350, maybe 400 if I must. So like no more then US$300.

It is less secure than a good password, but we will eventually switch to something like this anyway due to convenience and people not using good passwords.

The issue with the fingerprint readers is that your fingerprints are not the same at all times and you thus can't use them as a key, which is something you can do with a password. This means that the actual key has to be stored elsewhere and the said storage will contain all of your keys. Circumventing the software of the fingerprint reader thus grants you access to all linked accounts.

Compare it to something like Lastpass or KeyPass, which also store all your passwords. The difference is that those keys are encrypted with a master key that is known only to you. Again, the finger prints cannot be used as a master key, because unlike the password masterkey, they change at all times. Of course, password managers are still less secure than just memorising all your passwords due to the potential of there being an unknown exploit in the software itself.

(That being said, I still think most people will be a lot safer if they didn't need to memorise any passwords at all and just used fingerprint readers, which in case of failure can only be overridden by the manufacturer itself.)

>not using multiwindow on a 4'' display

about to cop a 6p

talk me out of it please

>5.7"
>Snapdragon 810
Oversized, overheating POS.

that's not how you live long and prosper

you could buy a house for that money

>oversized

manlet detected

Thinking about pulling the trigger, should I do it?

anyone who jumped from android to ios here? regrets? pros?

laggy & shitty

So what are my options when 5" is maximum display size I want? If no sd-slot, I'm fine with 32gb. Oh and no moto gs, those things are awful, other than that a list of suggestions is very welcome

Redmi 3.

Hmm that doesn't look half bad but I think the capacitive buttons would drive e me insane. Others?

>How does the lack of a accessible file manager work?
There is no file manager
>Is it even possible to save memes on this device?
Yes, all the memes you want
>do I need a windows computer with iTunes just to start using the phone?
To start using it, no. But if you want to transfer music and shit to it, you will need iTunes

Budget and uses

S7 edge it's just a meme, get the normal S7 user

Wait for the next nexus, the current are ugly and have outdated hardware.

Jesus why isn't Doze working

Nigga source? Need one

Try powernap.

>WHICH USB C CHARGER DO I GET OFF AMAZON I DONT KNOW SHIT
amazon.com/dp/B017BVLLC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KNCoxbN4FDD4G

Samsung is literally making the best quality smartphones on the market, maybe behind Apple. Your Nexuses and other memephones are only good because price is a little lower.

This phone looks comfy.

what is sony

I can tell that Sony was putting alot of effort in design and I have to admit, they did it well. Though design is a bit old-ish now, it still looks sleek and solid. But what you get in return of beautiful body? Fragility, once you drop it, even from low height, it can crack really easily. Sony's camera is average/above average, but far from superior. Stuff like basic focus is struggling to take sharp shots. Take a look at reviews of Z5's predecessor Z3 which literally had self-cracking screen (reported by users). Oh and I probably don't have to mention they were putting crappy Snapdragon CPUs that were burning the Sony. Now, with the upcoming Xperia X models, they have lost their "glass" premium lookalike and is generally going to be mainstream generic Android.

This is not 2014 anymore user.

>What is HTC

Oh and the glass back of Samsung s6/7 isn't fragile?