SSD Thread

SSD Thread

Are Samsung SSD's the only ones worth buying for reliability or are some of the cheaper drives just as reliable?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-1-8-Inch-SKC380S3-240G/dp/B00KUSN8Q0
amazon.com/Samsung-850-mSATA-2-Inch-MZ-M5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVTP2/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51B7QxHEgHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107,160_&refRID=0D6JCGFD8RS9S7WY7BAT
amazon.com/Aleratec-mSATA-Drive-Converter-Frame/dp/B00D4CVLNG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41LoNayLs4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=11M9600NAPHMKFEM92T8
anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228143
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Price difference is insignificant. Why would you cheap out on something that is going to hold your data. Its like buying non certified chinese psu to spare 30$ and risk burning your hw.

kingdian is best

ching chong

I've heard mixed things about Sandisk SSDs on here. Am I fucked because I have one in my rig? Are they really bad?

Yes

intel ssd's are reliable i think but they're pretty expensive (in my country anyway)

OCZ Trion 150 480GB is $50 cheaper than the 850 evo, is the Trion 150 as reliable?

Well shit. I guess I'll try and pick up a Samsung m.2 SSD on black Friday/cyber Monday if I can.

ocz was notoriously known for being unreliable in the past; can't speak for the present though

also trion 150 is much slower than 850 evo

If you have the money get the pro version it's much more reliable in heavy use.

I am ok with slow, it is going in an older pc with Sata II so I doubt I would notice a difference.

>buying an ssd that will only let you update if you allow them to spy on u

I have owned 3 different OCZ ssd's and after firmware update they worked just fine. Before the update however they were rubish and did not work correctly half of the time.

Which brand?

Samsung

Only SATA versions do this but I heard from others that m.2 is different.

How is Mushkin Enhanced Reactor' reputation, they have a 1TB SSD that is not much more than 500GB evo?

No. Sandisk know what they're doing, it's one of the oldest players on the flash storage market.

They made good memory

SSDs are too expensive right now and the technology is still in the beta stage

Is 'writing constantly on ssd is bad' still a meme? Contemplating on full ssd vs hdd+ssd

They have limited writing. Use it as your os storage and for important programs. Store your videos and music on hdds.

I've had 2 cheap-but-not-complete-shit SSDs fail. Both had latest firmware possible when it was available and I did all the 'optimizations' to reduce writes. One was a Kingston 60gb "SSDNow V+" from like 2009 or some shit, other was Mushkin "Chronos" 120GB. Both were pretty good bang for the buck, from 'lesser' brands.

Both lasted almost exactly for their warranty period. I warrantied the kingston at 3 years and got a much faster one back that's still going. Kingston went read-only but still let me boot and read off it. Mushkin one just became unreadable entirely and I lost all data - I think the controller died (sandforce).

I wouldn't trust a TLC SSD, there's just too many downfalls over MLC. I have never had a hardrive fail, only SSDs and all my SSDs that died from writes were MLC and TLC is supposed to die even faster than MLC.

samsung, intel, crucial, kingston, ocz (sp on any of these) are the only ones that you should trust data on, samsung and intel are above the others.

if you want a scratch disc or its a disposable game install/testing shit drive, then brand doesn't matter as much, there is a 256 and 512 drive on amazon by a no name right now that are 40 and 70$

I've had a few Intel SSDs now with all but one problem. The one problem being that I plugged two of them into a USB to SATA reader, experienced a power outage which then led to the drives no longer registering under the BIOS. I shipped them off to Intel since they have a 5 year warranty and they replaced them with no questions asked.

>I'm retarded: the post.
You could have said this about any piece of tech for any point in time, if people didn't use it because it was good it wouldn't have ever become popular in the first place.
I bought a WD blue 1TB and a Samsung 830 64GB in 2012, the blue failed completley 6 months ago but the 830 shows almost no signs of wear, in fact I bought another used 830 for muh 1GB/s read speeds.
I also bought a corsair force 3 60GB in 2012 for my laptop, it's performance has degraded more than the 830's but it still works just fine, you wouldn't even notice the degradation outside of benchmarks.

dont fall for the shilling

Plextor is love, Plextor is life

also plextor here, theyre kind of under rated, i wonder why that is

I want to put in an SSD into my laptop. A 1.8" size can fit.

Should I go with the Kingston 256GB
amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-1-8-Inch-SKC380S3-240G/dp/B00KUSN8Q0

OR

The Samsung EVO850 256GB mSATA
amazon.com/Samsung-850-mSATA-2-Inch-MZ-M5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVTP2/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51B7QxHEgHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107,160_&refRID=0D6JCGFD8RS9S7WY7BAT

with this Aleratec mSATA to SATA adapter

amazon.com/Aleratec-mSATA-Drive-Converter-Frame/dp/B00D4CVLNG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41LoNayLs4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=11M9600NAPHMKFEM92T8

SSD writes aren't that limited, storing downloads of music and video or other things isn't a problem. My 4 year old SSD that I boot and save all my downloads to is still going. The only thing I'd worry about putting on an SSD is something that writes huge files all the time, like shadowplay temp files where its writing video all the time.

I've got an Intel X25-M I've been using since I got it and it's still at 98% health in SMART data. Anyone who "wears out" their SSD is using it like a retard.

>Are Samsung SSD's the only ones worth buying for reliability or are some of the cheaper drives just as reliable?

I have 840EVO and I'm not going to buy any more Samsung SSDs.

840EVO had nasty firmware bug and Samsung half-assedly patched it TWICE, but never completely fixed the problem:

TL;DR
>over the long run performance regressions began to occur
>Samsung released a performance restoration tool and firmware update for the 840 EVO
>Unfortunately that didn’t work out as planned
>over the long run performance once again began decaying on old data, even with the firmware improvements.
>Samsung has commissioned a second, more permanent fix for the 840 EVO.
>This fix involves another firmware update, this time installing a firmware that periodically refreshes old data

anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix

So yeah, no, no more Samsung SSDs (or any other products, for that matter, they also fucked me other with promises of Android 5.0 on Tab Pro 8.4 and didn't deliver),

Dumb question but is it worth updating the firmware of my 840 pro is I bought it in like April of '14

Crucial hasn't let me down yet and it's been 3 years.

>performance degraded
Just use the TRIM optimizer provided by samshit.

shit brand awareness

The 840 evo problem is a hardware problem, they can't fix it with firmware update. The firmware update is just trying to mitigate the hardware problem as much as they can. 850 evo works fine, its only the 840 that is busted.

small buisiness predicament right there, no money for ads = no revenue = no money for ads...

Pls halp Sup Forums, you're my only hope.

go for whichever is cheaper and will fit without rattling

I have a pny ssd and it's been working great.

Just spend the damn $70 for the 256GB samsung you damn jew!

>go for whichever is cheaper and will fit without rattling
So the Kingston and Samsung SSDs have similar perfomance/reliability?

No

Want a cheap but good consumer grade SSD? Sandisk Plus.

They sell for SSDNow V300 money online but instead of getting shit tier TLC, you get MLC like in the more expensive SanDisk solid state drives.

>100 dollars for a 480 GB SSD
>140 dollars for a 4 TB HGST HDD
How long until we have better size/price than HDDs?

I've tried a few brands intel, samsung, patriot, and ocz.

Only the intel and the ocz have lasted more than 2 years

I heard OCZ drives were shit but mine is still going strong after all that time, recently bought two Kingston V300s and they're fine so far, they're alright for the price.

HDDs are dirty cheap bc of SSDs.
>How long until we have better size/price than HDDs?
Until a faster standard gets released and SSDs are obsolete. Lower storage is already becoming cheaper.

All these faggot companies are going on about their game-changing breakthroughs. Intel is talking about petabyte sized SSDs with continuous multiple gigabytes/second throughput. Some university was talking about crystals or something retarded that could hold exabytes of data for billions of years or something bullshit. I don't know about Samsung's vnand, but I guess they're making shit with it. They were talking about having hundreds of times the capacity of existing shit though, and there's no 100 TB drives yet.

TLC or MLC?

SLC

So are writes the only thing that kills SSDs? Can I just set up a 500 GB SSD with Linux and use it read only and will it last forever?

>No
So which one should i get? Samsung mSATA or the Kingston SATA?

Is this a good SSD?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228143

I bought a 1 TB Seagate SSHD for storage, bad idea?

Reminder to not let trolls spouting "hurr placebo" derail this thread

Had the Ultra II for 2 years now and a Toshiba HDD for 1 year now.

Sandisk Ultra II, IMO, is one of the biggest competitors for the Evo 840/850

I've had 480GB Sandisk Extreme II (MLC) for ~2 years and it just died randomly. One day I booted my PC and it was simply gone. Good thing it has a 5 year warranty, they're going to replace it, but it was working 100% fine with no warning signs up until it simply dropped dead.

>SSHD
Bad GB/$ of an SSH, shitty spin-up lifetime of a HDD, shitty write lifetime of an SSH. You got meemed.