>doesnt work
>user check out this thing
>can't I run Linux
>starts to get glitchy
>realize I have become Sup Forums talking about Linux
>realize my friends have sat through months of this
>realize the only reason I switched is for slightly better performance
>sell both computers get an ultrabook with windows 10 pro
>I have know cp or loli like creepy Sup Forums users so I don't give a shot if ms spies on me
>still respect that some want privacy though
>miss the command line
>then bash on windows announced
Linux is dead to me. Also greentext of why you switched to your current OS

Other urls found in this thread:

whylinuxisbetter.net/
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193411/update-bash-to-version-4-0-on-osx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

a casual being a casual?

nobody cares

>mfw people even bothered with linux when you could pirate all version of windows till now without troubles

Getting tempted to switch from Manjaro because of the lack of native IDE support.

Thank you for your input but please post a green text :^)

You should. The manjaro Dev teams website makes it look like a good distro. But the fact that they let their SSL certificate expire says something else. Also nice dubs

>I have nothing to hide

kys

Because web devs and system core devs are one and the same. Also it seems they are moving from GlobalSign to Let's Encrypt cert which is fine.

>isntall widnwos 8 on desktop

>xubuntu on shitty laptop because 8 runs terribly on it.

>couldnt be happier

>blogposting: the thread

Why does a rabbit need tiny yet noticeable tits

IMO Linux is only good for privacy and better performance on older machines

What part of still respect some want privacy do you not get friend; ^))))

>be 14, install slackware 9
>wrong resolution, wifi card doesn't work, don't like the DE, &c.
>i have free time
>fix resolution with a boot script (925resolution, iirc)
>recompile the kernel manually with correct wifi modules
>fix everything else
>learn a lot
>oh shit, summer over
>things break, no time to fix shit
>install debian 3.2
>everything just works
>fast forward 12 years and many distros later
>fedora, ubuntu, arch, gentoo, LFS, void, openSUSE...
>be now
>Debian testing (stretch)
>everything just works
>comfy as fuck
>proselytize Debian on Sup Forums

What kind of tech work do you do? Web Dev? App development?

>using windows 10
>try to develop a program
>the command line is utter garbage
>try to ssh to a box
>download a third party program
>it's utter garbage
>try to ftp to a box
>download a third party program
>it's utter garbage
>install linux
>works

too much fucking clicking, catered purely to retards who are too scared to type a few fucking lines, and will cry on their imageboards because they are too stupid to work things out
i like my os free of cia niggers

>What kind of tech work do you do? Web Dev? App development?
I don't work in tech. I just use linux because I like it and I find it more intuitive and comfortable than windows. As a kid I really liked the fact that I could tinker with the kernel, change the DE/WM. Then as a kid I used to run an ircd, ftpd, apache, just for fun. I always liked playing with computers, its a hobby.

I do have a STEM degree, though. I could never have computers/tech as a job because then I don't think i'd like it as much and it would become a chore. i'm gonna keep it as a hobby.

Have you tried bash on windows? The only thing that didn't work was wine for me

Fucking this. The more I went into development, the more I hated windows. I mean when Apple seems like less of a walled garden, you know you have a problem.

16.04LTS and proud

>don't care about spying

What kind of development friend? Do you think windows is goods for mobile app development?

i agree somewhat, however driver support on new machines is pretty good. The problem is theirs no incentive to switch when you cant have most workplace applications running on it.

And often those applications are propietary so it goes against the floss phhilosophy

that doesn't change the other gripes i now have with windows desu
it might have satisfied me five years ago before i found out about things like pulseaudio, package managers, window managers etc
now windows just gimps my workflow, trying to install some indian third party bullshit to do some basic tasks and have some sane defaults

Because furry pandering is very profitable.

Back-end webdev and mobile development.

You can do just fine mobile development for android on windows. But if you want the iOS hunny pot....

The only reason I don't use osx or Windows is because package management is literally awful (non-existent). Brew for osx is okay but nowhere near a Linux package manager like apt or dnf. Also, try installing stuff like python on Windows. I had to do a python project on Windows and literally couldn't deal with the autistic way windows handles its path.

He makes a fucking solid point.

It's an anthropomorphic character, not a rabbit.

Whatever works for you~
Windows does vidya
One click install
Most shit comes out on windows first
Linux does customization
Security
Stability
Privacy
As long as it doesnt handicap your workflow its good

>r Windows is because package management is literally awful
try windows 10. You can install anything from the ubuntu repo with ease

This

I've found Arch-based Linux (specifically Antergos) to be extremely convenient. I use it on all of my computers except for my gaming/photo and video editing computer. The package manager is easy as hell to use and I wish Windows had something similar to it.

>Whatever works for you~
>Windows does vidya
The 24 games I have on Steam work on linux (csgo, civ5, FTL...)

>One click install
apt-get install package_name

For me its more about pirating that good shit

FO3 works fine on Linux mint 17.3 x64 with wine set to XP. At least for me, and I'm basically a winnoob.

FUCK THE RABBIT?

Thanks for sharing these. Are there many more somewhere?

[377476.612853] csgo_linux[26481]: segfault at 30022 ip 00000000e3a7c91f sp 00000000ffed3d00 error 4 in client_client.so[e330e000+147f000]

>valve

>For me its more about pirating that good shit
I know what you mean, but Steam made it so easy.

I paid $5 for Civ5 Gold (all expansions). And I paid it by selling skins I got dropped while playing csgo, which I also paid $5 for. The rest of the games I got either on massive sales $1-$2 each, or on bundles where you could name your own price and paid $4 for 6-7 games.

I probably paid a total of $25 of my own money for all the games I own. I spend more than that in two hours when I go out so it's not a big deal.

Before Steam/bundle sales I used to pirate all my games. The only originals I had were Starcraft+Brood War and DiabloII+Lord of Destruction, that I got for my 12th birthday from friends.

Sup Forums wants to, its the only good Sup Forums meme so far

>he actually fell for the loonix meme
What have you done?

Linux does not play nice with Mediatek Wireless and IDT audio devices, which is what most laptops are using. I will not buy a new motherboard just to run Linux. I will not take out my brand new devices and replace them with an older version just to run Linux.

Linux will stay dead for me until they sort out the driver issues which they fuck up with every new release. Kernel 4.4 being the worst of them all.

>>wanted virtual desktops and onenote
>>upgraded to windows 10
>>pretty good, just wish i could turn off secure boot

>Installs linux
>Gets game
>Wonders why it doesn't work
faggot

It's not a Sup Forums meme, you see it on every board.

Also having to download steam.exe and get vidya instead of sudo apt install steam get libgl errors Google them get the drivers is nice

I believe to denote that the rabbit is a female. Not just that but based on voice alone children wouldn't be able to differentiate between the rabbit being an adult or a minor.

>install windows
>updates crash and take forever
>updates install nagware
>obscure error codes that can refer to literally anything
>need to install an assload of 3rd party utilities to do anything
>doesn't even recognize model of Ethernet card without installing drivers first
>everything takes 50 clicks to configure
>Eats a gigabyte of RAM on idle
>each application packs half a gig of outdated DLL files
>filesystem from the 90's, needs defragmentation all the fucking time

The only advantage it has is muh gaymes.

> install a clone of an operating system designed in the 70's for multiuser mainframe machines
> wonder why it's not a consumer desktop OS to run games on

As a Linux user since 1997 let me tell you faggots: Linux is not, never was and never will be a desktop OS, especially not a general-purpose, even-your-grandma-can-use-it one. Neophyte elitist faggots claiming otherwise, making casuals like OP expect MS Windows equivalent and install it for no fucking reason at all, are actually doing it a huge disservice. Everything in computing is about picking right tools for the job, and contrary to what a bunch of Sup Forums dwellers wants everyone to believe, Linux is not *the best* tool for *all* jobs.

>face with caret nose
>teenage level of maturity
>trying this hard to troll

thats the meme

Don't you do that from the UEFI/EFI neé BIOS/CMOS

Are you fucking stupid? Linux is a kernel not an operating system. Almost nothing in linux was in unix apart from command line programs like grep and find etc.

KDE,Gnome, awesomewm, xfce, enlightenment - they are they OS. Linux is the kernel and often works better than the NT kernel.

Those are desktop environments, you moron.

IMO Linux is technically superior, but that's on points you don't see by yourself. But if you ever code you'll wonder how you could ever have used so disgusting software.

Windows is only good because you're used to it.

You sound like a retard.

> Are you fucking stupid? Linux is a kernel not an operating system.

I refuse to add the "GNU +" part, because I'm not autistic and it's obvious for everyone with a double-digit IQ that the context of this thread is not kernels.

> Almost nothing in linux was in unix apart from command line programs like grep and find etc.

Are you fucking retarded? Linux implements pretty much every idea behind Bell Labs' Unix and most of the later POSIX standard.

> KDE,Gnome, awesomewm, xfce, enlightenment - they are they OS

They're shit desktop environments running on top of shit X implementation, running in client-server mode, because the actual OS is a clone of a 70's multi-user mainframe OS. See what my point is, faggot?

Install Windows. It's simple and just werks!

>Using Debian GNU/Linux
>I don't play games like a 14 year old so i never need to switch
>Enjoying stability
>Enjoying the REAL bash
>Enjoying my bash scripts
>Enjoying my entire OS as an IDE
That's why i switched to GNU

Thanks OP. The collective IQ of the linux community gets a nice little boost with your departure.

>Tries playing a notoriously shitty port through visualization software on an unsupported OS.

You had this coming moron, dual boot if you're gonna be running more than something like Hearthstone or the classic fallout games.

My hero

Mobile poster

Tldr: I'm a NEET who is decent at programming and 90% of what I said isn't true.

>using loonix
>realized muh gaymes don't work
>bought a new Ultrabook™ with Microsoft® Windows™ 10®
>don't care about privacy, I have nothing to hide

There are entire websites dedicated to discerning if Linux is right for you.

whylinuxisbetter.net/

And yes, if you're underage and all you do is game then stick with a kiddie OS like Windows

Why did you not just dual-booted?

>get a new laptop with Win8.1
>reinstall because of shitload of bloatware
>nothing works, Windows update can't find drivers so i have to search them myself
>constant problems
>fuck it
>install Ubuntu
>everything just werks
>set up a Win8.1 VM for Windows only shitware
>profit
Windows is dead for me.

That's glad I have a 145 IQ because a retarded person would feel pretty bad about that.

>Linux does not play nice with IDT audio devices
All my laptops have IDT audio and they work fine.

>not playing games MADE for linux

Don't support games that don't have linux support.

Simple as that.

Linux will never become mainstream when a interesting new program is released the devs don't try and pander to the Linux community at all.

> take 12 years to learn how to make your OS stable
> have the audacity to say it just werks

i personally use Win10

and CentOS on my servers

*nix is dope and i love it, i just can't stand it was a "working environment"

Literally this
>knew this guy
>buys used laptops from eBay
>basic rigs for about 50 usd or less
>gives em to me so I format em, and put pirate software on em
>Guys goes to Cuba for fun and sell em for about 200 usd each
>he practically lives rockstar life every time in the ex communist island and goes practically for free
Sometimes he even comes back with more cash than he left

>Sup Forums told me to install gentoo
>I did
>other than compile times it's very fast

>Use windows for years, heavy gamer
>Try mandrake, red hat, a few others
>Got the game I played to work but linux/wine was cumbersome to use - not familiar with anything: switched back to windows

>10+ years later read about gaming on linux being much better
>install xubuntu
>Game without too much issue using native ports with 1 click downloads: Holy shit these are aaa titles not tux racer
>linux interface pretty easy to use
>Try out wine - Most Dx9 stuff works flawlessly now. Pimp out skyrim with full HD mods etc.
>Distro hop for days, eventually come to the realization that the entire point of linux is you can make any distro look or act like any other one
>While distro hopping learn about different packages and how to configure them
>Buy Nvidia card for better linux support
>End up installing Gentoo

I love the minimalism and customization that linux provides. Being able to game on top of it is pretty nice to say the least. I cheat a little bit now - I setup a dedicate Windows server to stream from so I can play dx11 titles.

You won't look back. No more broken packages and shit drivers. Don't even let the lincucks rain on your parade. Have you met a hater doing better then you.... Me neither

>be 14
you need to be 18+ on this blog

Slackware is at 14.1 now

>like linux but dislike the bugginess, bad design, etc.
>switch to mac / osx because it's unix-like without the bullshit
>legitimately just works
>ships with a terminal and bash by default, has a nice package manager (homebrew)
loving it

Sorry you have a shit tier puter user

Doesn't it bother you that your version of bash is so old?

No, why the fuck should I care? And you can switch to zsh or fish or whatever hipster crap you use anyway, but I wouldn't know about those.

Well this is actually the reasons why those hipsters even think fish or zsh are superior. They are comparing it to outdated bash.

>Windows update cucks me into windows 10
>taskbar doesn't work
>wifi drops every 30 mins
>reinstall
>wifi doesn't work once the computer wakes up from sleep
>all ready been using linux mint
>delete windows partition
>mint gets hacked
>realise time to switch
>Arch + KDE
Become the masterrace

I use the terminal to ssh and run misc commands and scripts every now and then, I don't really spend a lot of time in it. Are there any significant benefits of zsh over my outdated bash? (Should I even care?)

Updating bash would make more sense. The advantage it has over older bash is auto completition and some other comfy stuff. You don't need to care though.

Is it possible to update? I didn't realize that autocompletion was a function of version. Maybe I'll check out zsh.

ah nvm
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193411/update-bash-to-version-4-0-on-osx

Wait does CSGO work in Wine now?

Last time i checked it was buggy

I use GNU/Linux so I don't know for sure but you should be able to compile newer bash versions. Zsh is not as mature and doesn't have the amount of documentation and community effort.

Why would you use one of the best native GNU/Linux ports through wine?

CSGO is Linux native.
Try harder next time /v shitposter.

>Windows does vidya
I know. Gaymen platform
>One click install
hahahahahahahahahahaha
>Most shit comes out on windows first
What do you mean
>Linux does customization
Agreed
>Security
Setting up Linux security is harder than windows but it ends up being more secure
>Stability
Depends on users
>Privacy
Only if you don't use windows 7, Linux is the way to go

>this is Sup Forums circa 2016

>One click install

Yeah, after all you say "no" to installing all those toolbars it offers you (assuming you found the actual install exe after sufficient googling and downloading it from some sketchy site)

I hope you remember to update it manually too!

don't even say that when using a cancerous 2016 meme, dumbass frog poster