So Sup Forums, I may be getting a full time position in IT. Main duties being web server management, and general IT...

So Sup Forums, I may be getting a full time position in IT. Main duties being web server management, and general IT. As some one with no professional experience in IT, what do I need to know

Do you know how to manage linux servers and do Windows tech-support?

Stop stealing our jobs pahjeet

Windows tech support, yes. Linux, I know it, but only on a basic user level. I'm familiar with command prompts and their importance with Linux, bits about where my experience stops.

Background: I'm essentially a hobby programmer. I've been doing it for about 6 years. The bulk of my knowledge is in Java, C++, and HTML.

I dont have a problem doing this

Download Adobe Reader.

google ultron

They hired you for web server management without experience or knowledge? They'll shitcan you after they they realize they'll need to call in outside help and bring in a firefighter on your first episode extended downtime. Your best bet is to spend your time studying and learning to google effectively and pray shit doesn't hit the fan until you've learned a thing or two. Talk your boss into buying you a pluralsight subscription

I'm a girl btw

I never said I got the job, I said I may. I applied. Note from I hear, they're not looking for someone with 20 years experience, and also from what I hear, I'm the most qualified out of those who could be applying

then you are fucked, if the servers use linux and your job is maintaining said servers you better learn about mysql/mariadb, installing apache2 and/or nginx, setting up ftp and ssh (ssh is probably the easiest i've mentioned) and shell scripting (and things like backing up an entire clusture using a cron job) before you walk in that building.

All of these things are done in a shell, I can also do all of these things from memory and have been past up 3 times for a server admin job so if you don't even understand the shell you won't make it.

i know da shell

ok? Do you know how to automate the installation of centos into a VM (server and all)? Can you set up a cluster of VM's on a cluster of servers that communicate with a small cluster of dbs?

Do you understand RAID? LLVM? Do you understand backups and cron jobs? Have you ever configured a firewall? Or set up ftp ?

Have you ever done any of these things, and then automated doing all of them? What about creatings a logfile server that every member of each cluster speaks too?

These are things I had to understand and explain in my last job interview (and was only given a greenlight when I explained each one in detail without hesitation.)

And these things are only the basic server, then there is things like setting up php or cgi or python. Hardening the server and what about handling a DDoS attack? Ever messed with ssl certificates?

This isn't a job you can walk into and learn, if you have basic knowledge that knowledge will grow but sysadmins do this shit for fun and are good at it before ever applying.

it really isnt that hard user. i have done all these things except the cluster and the ddos (but i have used cloudflare and shit)

But do u know really know it

user what did you go to school for? This type of job is something I can see myself doing. Also do you like it?

i have a reasonably good understanding. definately good enough for any junior sysadmin jerb. i did that online test your sysadmin skill thing a few years ago and did average and since then have worked hard on muh nawledge and xperience

I went for CS but found out I liked sysadmining better (and my love for programming is something I dislike doing for others, despite the fact I made much more money doing it.)

It really isn't that hard if you understand posix and have done these things once. It's just that once a week we get these "hurr der I can of install windowz so I faked my way into a sysadmin job, what I should I know; I start tomorrow btw" threads and I assume that's what this it.

sounds good user

What are you getting paid as a sysadmin, and how har comparably was it to find a job as opposed to a CS grad?