/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022?var=&hash=item41935b0cb6:m:mtZMuMijDUrlNJ_hKZKwgyg
youtube.com/watch?v=agCnn6quYNc
innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break-page-4#xrSUg0IcXPrpFG2R.97
innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break-page-3#8lL70wVwDl2w7G0d.97
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best headphones.

Hard to find though.

Quad.

Only thing that is good, anything else is trash.

He probably could have bought an HE-1060 for that price.

Removed my socket savers from my schiit lry and all the drone has went away.

FML I wanted my shit to look as good as it sounded.

That would require putting sound quality as a higher priority than brand/looks.

Reposting from last thread
Anyone know of a small DAC that can be used with Android phones? I tried the hifidiy micro USB but I swear it did nothing to the sound.

My hd650 audio cables broke. Do these chink cables any good?

ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022?var=&hash=item41935b0cb6:m:mtZMuMijDUrlNJ_hKZKwgyg

It's a cable, just get it. It might even be better than the original.

>I swear it did nothing to the sound
That's because you fell for a meme.

>implying beats doesn't actively pay celebrity musicians tons of money to be seen wearing beats
Saw a promo on MTV Live (formerly Palladia) where Eric Clapton was wearing beats in his studio. Literally the very next shit was him wearing Sennheisers while playing guitar. I'm pretty sure the only possible way Eric Clapton would touch that garbage is if they payed him at least $10,000 to be seen wearing them in 30 seconds of footage

The only way DACs make a noticeable difference is if you're using some top-tier headphones and are listening to high-quality music files. Even then it's subtle.

In other words it's a total meme.

nothing on the planet is going to let you hear a 0.002% difference in distortion, i guarentee you can't hear the differencet between 1% and 5% subbass distortion let alone that.

>MFW Apple buys Sennheiser and BeyerDynamic and folds them into Beats
SennDynamic by Beats by Dr Dre

get vmoda crossfade lp's instead why is that not on these threads.

>why is that not on these threads
Because actual reseller / mods curate these threads.

It's profitable as fuck.

What headphones are you guys using to play DOOM 4?

I just thought it was this one DAC that I tried. All the reviews said it was life changing but I swear they were all living in placebo land. Are all DACs like this?

Maybe I'd be better off just getting a small headphone amp for my phone. The output is super low. Are headphone amps a meme too?

Requesting purchase advice.
>I'm looking for a gaming dedicated headset!

>Budget
Up to $200 USD

>Location
Mexico, I'm buying from amazon, amazon.mx is quite decent actually, in price as in service but i have no problem on buying from the US website.

>Source
Desktop PC, Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard, i enjoy good sound quality, but not enough to buy an amp or dedicated audio card.

>Preferred type
Full-sized, i want them to completely cover and seal around my ears.

>Comfort level
I would obviously prefer a comfortable headset, particular areas are: proper sealing around ears, not too heavy unless they have proper grip and not just hang on the top of my head.

>Tonal Balance
I really like a clear and strong bass, like feeling the kick when something hits you, like the POP*, but if general audio quality is compromised because of this, i would rather a balanced tone.

>Past Headphones
Currently using the Audiotechnica ATH-M50x and i totally love the balance in build quality, sound quality and comfort, as for the gaming ones i'm upgrading from, some lame Turtle Beach Z300, dont even ask, i got hyped for their release (have them since they hit the stock) i reaally dont like form in these, too fragile, really heavy on the speakers, terrible padding, constantly failing battery, and the worst of all, terrible SEALING AROUND THE EARS, they put a lot of pressure above my ears, while the part under doesn't even close, terrible sound leak and really uncomfortable overall, as well as literally no software, as for the good parts, 2.4 - 5 GHz Wireless, Bluetooth, and regular jack for wired stereo, decent mic, EQ presets and this awesome mic monitor feature that lets you hear your own vocie completely lag-free, as if you didn't have them on.

>Also i don't like the headphones + standing mic config, i would much rather have both features in the same device.

>Pic related (i think) is my best option so far, the Logitech G933, if only they had bluetooth they'd be perfect

>i enjoy good sound quality
>Currently using the Audiotechnica ATH-M50x

nice meme

yes, the m50x are literally a meme, you're right.

enjoy 10% better quality for 10 times total investment
im not pretentious enough to call myself an audiophile

who said anything about more expensive headphones? headphones less than half the price of the m50x are more than twice as good.

they're just a shit headphone and a worse reddit meme you fell for.

Zeos pls

because the LP is one of the poorer models from a company that already makes colored as fuck headphones. v-moda have good build quality but their bass boost is ridiculous.

>enjoy 10% better quality for 10 times total investment
you realize AT themselves make better value and better sounding headphones? m40x for example.

any DAC that isn't terrible, which is basically all modern DACs, will be audibly indistinguishable from one another. you're much more likely to hear a difference from the amp, but there as well you'll be hearing a bad amp, rather than a night and day difference between a decent and a "great" amp. you get an amp or DAC as a way to eliminate an obvious problem with your chain, not to "upgrade" your audio. if your headphones get loud enough, if you're not hearing noise, then stick with what you have. portable amps/dacs are really only useful for driving hungry headphones from otherwise weak players or for eliminating hiss from sensitive IEMs.

So I got the HyperX Cloud Core from today locally brand new for $40. Happy with it so far. Solid build quality and it sounds breddy good (punchy bass, slight over highs, subdued mids). Best sub-$50 headphone I've ever bought.

I'm not just waiting for my FiiO E10K Olympus 2 I ordered last night to arrive this week and of course my HiFiMAN HE-350's (around August) to ship.

Breaking in my Cloud Core right now.

>Breaking in my Cloud Core right now
You mean comfort/pads-wise? I sure as hell hope you don't mean the transducers because that's a literal meme.

Well, the metal band is a bit tight so I have it relaxing on my stand. But also been playing my whole library though it for the past few hours... Am I being memed here?

What the fuck makes you think driver burn-in is real and why wouldn't it be achieved during the testing phase of production if for some mythical reason it was a real thing?

I-I-I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be memed like that...

who is this
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

I fully expect the he-350 to be a big disappointment considering it's a hifiman dynamic and the 300 was crap, but give impressions when it arrives.

IT AIN'T ME
T

A
I
N
'
T

M
E

I dunno. I thought it was Zelda Williams at first, but Zelda is really not that qt3.14.

youtube.com/watch?v=agCnn6quYNc

Zeus seems to like it. But for $99, you really can't go wrong. Probably be able to hock it off for around $150 or more if you don't really want it.

Assuming every single can is tested during production? Haha wtf. I want what your sniffing.

>PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

> implying anyone wants to buy your shit memes

Do you find the HyperX pads tiny?

Still more likely than driver burn-in being anything but an idiotphile myth.

Ehh, maybe a tad, but comfortable enough. Would like to get one of those HM5 angled leathers to replace it though (which will cost me more than the headphones itself).

sorry but I don't trust z. he just regurgitates hype shit from head-fi and reddit. and there is amazing stuff at or near $100, like the 558.

>Zeus seems to like it
good way to confirm it's crap

Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1 on sale for $120? What does Sup Forums think?

You should try the Tas Scam-meme TH-02's against your HyperX Cloud if you decide to order HM5 pads and you have left over money.

I guess we'll see come August.

measurements give enough of the story. they're at best an alternative to the hd558 as far as $99 open dynamics go.

Eh, I can't really be bothered. Would rather spend that money on pimping the Cloud up. Thinking about setting it up with a removable cable.

You mean assuming any company is going to pay for any such procedure.

One that is more supported with evidence and believed in to be at least considered debatable even if you have decided it isn't real.

supported by no hard evidence anywhere.
> and believed in to be at least considered debatable
you can say this about literally anything and everything audio related because delusional idiotphiles will believe any marketing spiel.

>supported by no hard evidence anywhere.
Tyll did some measurements and noted some unusual results. You presume because none of those results can be isolated or solely identified as the cause = no evidence at all.

it wasn't an isolated test and there were far too many variables to come to any conclusions. try again, retard.

i guarantee you didn't even read his article and are trying to cite his experiments to back up your shitty opinions and ignorance on the matter.

>it wasn't an isolated test and there were far too many variables to come to any conclusions. try again, retard.
Allow me to fix your refutation for you.
>supported by no hard evidence *that I accept as evidence.
Your arbitrary choice to ignore the evidence does not remove that evidence from existence.

>i guarantee you didn't even read his article
The only plausible way I can believe you can "guarantee" that is if you believe you can force your disregard of recorded measurements on others, ie. project your closedmindedness. You cannot guarantee jack shit to me or anyone else on this board.

identify one piece of valid evidence that wasn't masked by variables such as wear of earpads or environmental variables?

seriously you should stop posting before you embarrass yourself further, you're only showing how easily you will jump to the conclusion that something is right because you don't bother to understand it or question it at all.

>identify one piece of valid evidence that wasn't masked by variables such as wear of earpads or environmental variables?
Let's make this plain. You admit there is hard evidence but you want to argue over the accuracy of said hard evidence?

>seriously you should stop posting before you embarrass yourself further
No U. You do not deny that there are measurements that correlate with the concept of burn-in. The best you argue is that the measurements are not accurate. Are you confusing soft evidence, or evidence based at best upon authoritative opinion, with hard evidence such as quantifiable records such as the recordings you do not deny exist?

>ou admit there is hard evidence
wrong, i have already demonstrated there is no hard evidence, your lack of reading comprehension apparently isn't letting this sink in for you.

>No U
oh, you're just shitposting, i should have picked up on that already.
>You do not deny that there are measurements that correlate with the concept of burn-in
i will no longer reponse to your shitposting until you can post a single piece of evidence from anywhere on the internet (anecdotal evidence doesn't count because anyone can say what they want on the internet) that shows burn-in has a measurable and/or audible effect that is absolutely isolated from any other variable that could influence the results.

again, to help with your awful reading comprehension:

there is not a single piece of hard evidence on the internet indicative of burn-in being a measurable or audible phenomena.

>i have already demonstrated there is no hard evidence
All you have demonstrated is your selective ignorance.

>i will no longer reponse to your shitposting
Like I said. You cannot guarantee jack shit.

>that is absolutely isolated from any other variable
You have made it plain. You will manufacturer any trivial objection necessary to disregard evidence that undermines your preconceived conclusion. Like I said before you are trying to project your closedmindedness.

>there is not a single piece of hard evidence . . .
That you will accept. Yes, yes. It is clear that you have a closedmind on this subject. You don't need to keep harping on the same point that you refuse to discuss and justify such refusal on other people "shitposting."

Can we start a new thread? This already has devolved beyond pure autism.

It'll end. Someone will come along asking for advice or a question. The thread moves on.

innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break-page-4#xrSUg0IcXPrpFG2R.97
>Have I shown that break-in exists? No. I wish I could say the slowly descending IMD products is clear evidence ... but it's not. Who knows what that measurement represents.

innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break-page-3#8lL70wVwDl2w7G0d.97
>Did I show break-in exists? No. There are too many variables still.

Was that so hard?

>is clear evidence
No one claims that there is definitive evidence. No one even claimed if there was reliable evidence. One idiot did claim that there was "no hard evidence" when clearly there is hard evidence.

>semantics
Seriously what the fuck is the difference between 'definitive' evidence and 'hard' evidence and why are you so strung up about it?

>semantics
That word.

>what the fuck is the difference between 'definitive' evidence and 'hard' evidence
If you have to ask I doubt it is worth the time trying to explain the difference to you. Especially if you are the same closedminded idiot.

>If you have to ask I doubt it is worth the time trying to explain the difference to you.
What a convenient copout.
>Especially if you are the same closedminded idiot.
What an even more convenient copout. Believe what you want but if you're not even going to try to justify why you're spewing autism all over the thread you should stop posting in it at all.

>What a convenient copout.
Given that it should be obvious that they are two different but related concepts, that you can look up on the internet yourself if you are sincerely ignorant of, leads me to believe it is only a trivial objection. This in addition to past conduct of trivial objection disinclines me to believe it is anything but a trivial objection and thus not worth the extending the benefit of the doubt.

For example: Any retard can drop something, like say an apple, and record the rate it falls. That is hard evidence of the existence of gravity. But is that measure definitive or "complete, accurate, and considered to be the best of its kind" evidence? Certainly not.

>Believe what you want
Thank you for your permission to do something no needs permission for.

It's rather hilarious how inaccurate your understanding of 'hard evidence' is and even more hilarious how you try to word your posts to hide the fact while also slipping in thinly disguised ad hominem.

Pathetic really, but I guess posting this sort of nonsense on Sup Forums is what gets you excited.

>It's rather hilarious how inaccurate your understanding of 'hard evidence' is
Please explain your definition of "hard evidence" then. I have provided a contrast from soft evidence and from definitive evidence from hard evidence. All you've done is claim they are all wrong. Failure to do so only further proves that all you have are trivial objections.

On what grounds would you consider the findings in the articles linked here to be 'hard evidence' as stated here when Tyll himself described what is clearly soft evidence at best in the articles.
>Any retard can drop something, like say an apple, and record the rate it falls. That is hard evidence of the existence of gravity.
This is also a terrible example to validate your claims as it is very different to the results Tyll got from his testing. An apple falling is clear evidence, an insignificant change in frequency response which could easily have changed for a number of different reasons is not 'clear' or 'hard' evidence.

You're tripping yourself up here.

>Budget
unlimited but if there isn't too much of a difference between a 300$ pair and a 1500$ pair then i will go with the 300$ one. i don't want to pay for placebo and want the headphones to be worth the money i spend on them
>Location
usa
>Source
pc but i can buy a dac or amp if i have to
>Preferred type of headphone
i need both in ears and full sized
>Open or closed
both because i might use one outside
>Comfort level
i'll be wearing them most of the time so they should be very comfortable but i don't want horrible or bad sound
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral sounds best to me

>im not pretentious enough to call myself an audiophile
Autism must be fun. You don't realise the stupid shit you say is stupid.

>>Open or closed
>both
Fuck you.

You failed to provide your explanation of hard evidence. As noted previously, your failure to do so serves to further prove you are using it as a trivial rejection.

>unlimited but if there isn't too much of a difference between a 300$ pair and a 1500$ pair then i will go with the 300$ one. i don't want to pay for placebo and want the headphones to be worth the money i spend on them
You need to be more specific. We don't know if you have the physical or aesthetic sense to appreciate any differences between cheap headphones let alone between mid-fi and boutique headphones.

>you are using it as a trivial objection.
Fixed

You sure love to claim 'trivial rejection' to ironically reject anything you cannot refute. It's too regurgitated at this point and it's obvious how desperately you're grasping for straws here.

>You sure love to claim 'trivial rejection' to ironically reject anything you cannot refute.
I made a simple request for you to provide a basis for your objection based on "hard evidence." To explain it to make certain that you are not using it in a way contrary to the common usage of the term or that you are not trying to avoid defining it so that you can use it outside its common usage. But you failed. And now you're trying to turn your failure to carry your end of this discussion into a personal attack.

It is beyond question to me that you cannot or will not carry your end of a civil discussion. You refuse to make it clear what you mean by "hard evidence" and asking it will only make you resort to personal attacks. That is not my fault but yours.

Now I expect another shit post that doesn't explain what your idea of "hard evidence" is.

Proving me right in the expectation also proves to me that you are beneath further response as you unwilling, if not simply incapable, of acting like a mature adult and conducting your part of the dialogue.

i don't think you understood what i was trying to say. i want three different headphones, one closed, one open and one pair of iems.
let's say 500$ then

Oh look yet another long-winded, autism-filled post riddled with ad hominem to continue avoiding answering the original questions thrown at you.

Absolutely pathetic.

>let's say 500$ then
HD600/650 for headphones. RHA750 for IEMs.

>avoiding answering the original questions thrown at you.
Why should I answer any more of your questions when you refuse to answer mine? Are you special little snowflake that should be treated better than you treat others?

>Budget
€100~150
>Location
Europe
>Source
Smartphone/PC frontal panel
>Preferred type of headphone
Over ear (even on ear as long as they're comfortable)
>Open or closed
Both open and closed are fine, but if they're closed they must not rely heavily on a good seal
>Comfort level
As high as possible, I'd say it's top priority
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral is fine, but I don't dislike warmer sounds and more full bodied bass
>Preferred music
Prog rock/metal
>Past headphones
Philips Fidelio X2
Etymotic Research hf5
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over Ear (I returned these after a week: didn't like the sound, didn't like what I got for the price I've payed)

I need a pair of headphones to use at work: I love my Ety (although I wish the lowrange wasn't so rolled off), but they're not ideal for prolonged use, and there's no point in using them where there's no noise to block out anyway; I love even more my X2 because of the comfort and the sound (although there's an annoying spike in the mid-high range), but I wouldn't use them at work (too expensive to move them outside my basement, too big to use them anywhere in public). I'm not sure about anything closed because I have to wear eyeglasses, and in my past experience with the Momentum breaking the seal with the pads (which is inevitable if you wear glasses) rapes the sound, especially the low range.

Rock Zircons are a must buy. Trust me.

Literally yet to answer a single one of my questions and you expect me to answer your questions.

Yet another post full of laughable irony.

M50x masterace

i meant 500$ for each

My shill flag is waving.

>Literally yet to answer a single one of my questions
That's right. I didn't provide a contrast between hard evidence and definitive evidence because you didn't ask for it. . .

You just failed for posting an obvious lie.

>My shill flag is waving.
They are not expensive at all. It's compared to a $1000 Shure SE846.

>I didn't provide a contrast between hard evidence and definitive evidence because you didn't ask for it
Just because you believe you appropriately or correctly answered a question doesn't mean you actually did.

Headphones suggestions stay the same. IEMs changes to Shure Se535 or check some entry level cIEMs like EarWerkz Supra 2.

>Just because you believe you appropriately or correctly answered
Now you're moving the goalposts. You said "literally yet to answer a single question" and stuck in "literally yet to answer a single question appropriately or correctly." It doesn't matter if you accept my answers as "appropriate or correct" as I provided an answer. Something you have yet to provide anything close to.

Wow. You suck as this whole dialogue thing with your desperate and obvious attempts to justify your failures.

Still waiting for an answer to my questions.

Wait all you want. I see no reason to answer any more of your questions if you refuse to provide any answers yourself. And please. Spare me your lies and moving of goalposts.

E10k, Schiit stack, O2+ODAC
HD600, HE400i, Ether
MSR7, PM3
RE400, HF5, ER4PT (ety's be very uncomfortable), SE535
Maybe Fiio X3 2nd gen if you want a DAP. X1 is fine too.

>(ety's be very uncomfortable)
Can be, I mean.
I think it's a "you get used to it" kind of thing but some people can't stand them.