GTX 1080 release thread

techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/
guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,1.html
anandtech.com/show/10326/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-preview
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-1080-8GB-Founders-Edition-Review-GP104-Brings-Pascal-Gamers

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572.html
overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1080_founders_edition/
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/92846-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-16nm-pascal/
pcworld.com/article/3071037/hardware/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-the-most-badass-graphics-card-ever-created.html
techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-a-look-at-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/
hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal-gpu-review?page=8
guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,16.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>£619

15% more than a 980 Ti for the small version of Pascal. They can fucking keep it. Anybody supporting this monopoly deserves to get their wallet and anus raped.

>30% faster
>10-15% more expensive
>muh generational leap

More reviews:
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572.html
overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1080_founders_edition/
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/92846-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition-16nm-pascal/
pcworld.com/article/3071037/hardware/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-the-most-badass-graphics-card-ever-created.html
techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-a-look-at-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/

1060 small form factor gpu when?

...and its winning by simply having a higher clock thanks to the die shrink.

>Historically, reference-design cards set the baseline launch-pricing for any SKU. This time around, NVIDIA is making its partners sell the reference-design card at $699 (higher than the launch prices of GTX 980 Ti, GTX 780 Ti, etc.) The company is sub-branding this SKU as "Founders Edition." Since this also happens to be the only GTX 1080 card designed entirely by NVIDIA, it's the card we are reviewing today. Custom-design cards will start at $599, but this is really a "suggested" price by NVIDIA to its partners. Adding meaty cooling solutions and custom VRM designs to the mix could easily push prices way above the $599 mark, and perhaps even close to the $699 "Founders Edition" price, if partners decide to see that as baseline.

>Aftermarket cards will be more expensive than the $700usd reference card
NOPE
O
P
E

Either some woodscrews caught on fire or 60°C under load was a big fat lie

>As Nvidia showed off the GeForce GTX 1080 at its press day in Austin, Texas, we kept asking ourselves how the card repeatedly showed up in demos at temperatures under 65 °C. In order to circumvent its thermal limit, we tried setting the fan to a 100% duty cycle, and that ended up being the simple solution.

>In our standard setup with an ambient temperature of 22 °C, we measured 68 to 69 °C. In another room at 20 °C, and using a less demanding Full HD workload, we finally replicated Nvidia's 65 °C demo. The noise that's created isn't bad when you're in a large hall full of journalists and EDM blaring over the speakers. But it's much more apparent in an office.

>And unfortunately, real-world temperatures after three minutes of warm-up look a lot different than what we saw during Nvidia's press day. It doesn't take long for the card to hit its temperature target and hover around 83 to 84 degrees Celsius. That number rises to 85 degrees during the stress test.

From toms.

when dedicated shilling sites say it's 83 it means it's 83

only retards will buy the """"""""""founders edition""""""""""""

it may finally go 4k 60 fps with higher OC, it's around 54 in most games
But fuck me if i'm going to pay for soon-to-be midrange card after ti version released for 700

Gonna by the EVGA version of the reference board and slap an EK waterblock to it. My 290x while still "decent" for 1440p (my gaming resolution) the coil whine is murder on me esp since i'm a quit fag.

On a quit game like Dark Souls 3 the sound I heard most was the coil whine from my 290x

Power consumption is good.

The card is about as expected. Not disappointed, but not surprised either.

Still it operates at fucking 80 degrees+ unless you have the stock cooler at 100%

Thats like fucking GTX285 level bad

The cooler is no slouch either the GTX1080p is a fucking housefire

Why they didnt ship these with a watercooling option i dont know

>Muh 4k
Yeah at 100degrees+ with aftermarket cooling and serious overclocks

PASCAL SO GOOD I GOTTA BUY THAT FOUNDERS EDITION

>Still it operates at fucking 80 degrees+ unless you have the stock cooler at 100%
What do you think is the point of GPU Boost?

1070 for poorfags please, I can't wait to fill this baby up.
>tfw 1440p monitors in this shit hole costs 2 legs and 2 arms
Guess I'm stuck with 1080p.

IT'S OVER, AMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

They have to push the stock clock to the most acceptable limit to improve the performance.
60% more clock rate for a mere 30% more performance.

PCPer shows a different picture of Hitman.

>Cant even run a 3 year old DX11 game at 60fps 4k
Crysis3 isnt even demanding its very well optimized compared to 1 and 2 anyway

Looks like 4K Fags will have to buy two 1080s thats like $1500+ and it barely beats two titans

Anyone notice the lack of Overclocking? Also anyone notice how its only a Fury and no Fury X in alot of the DX12 benches, especially AoTS? Lol good ol Nvidia shills...

>9 TFLOPs

>muh 30% faster

This is fun!

guru and anandatech has fury x

yeah some serious horseshit is going on here

GTA 5 benchmarks are depressing

Over 30% here.

this is something I've commented on here several times since the demo.

Unfortunately you can't shake the iron faith of a fanboy

TRY DEFEND THIS NVIDIOTS!

Here's 2.066/2.133 Ghz overclocks.

hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal-gpu-review?page=8

>27% faster than Fury X
>34% faster than 980 Ti
What's the problem?

W-woth a purchase for me!

god, and people ask why there is so many paranoiacs around

House fires confirmed.

83C seems completely fine to me.

I even idle my AMD GPU at 65C for less fan noise.

Perhaps a dumb question:
Why do game designers even make games where the ultra setting is more or less unobtainable?

>more or less unobtainable

The heck is this? why didn't they test proper scaling game?

Meant to be run at a lower resolution.

>27% better than a FuryX
Yeah, while being 11% more expensive. And on a newer node. And hotter. lul nvidia

Benchmarking purposes, pushing the limits of current PCs, keeps the game relevant longer graphically. Even the original doom was hard to run when it came out. It's always been like this.

It's 4k, 1080p it runs 105 fps.

And that's how it always worked - people upgraded for the game not other way around when developers now increase graphics fidelity behind the market.

The takeaway is an 18% clock increase gave roughly 10% more performance across their tests.
Which means Pascal is literally Maxwell - The Die Shrink.

I figured as much, sorry for the dumb question. Just seems silly to make the best looking version of your game essentially unobtainable.

kinda sad, I secretly kept hope for revolution

>Still no hardware async

The best looking version of your game is always unobtainable because you technically can increase AA to infinity.

I just want to play games at 1080p with 60 or above fps. Can I do that with the 1070? I can't find a single article about it.

so when is the time to grab some cheap 980?

any doom benches? can't see one, I want to see how is that 200fps

guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,16.html

check how is 780(not ti) doing and just forget about it

you can do that right now with a 380 or 960 for like under $200

the 1070 is just a gimped version of this and will be slower than a 980ti oc

i'm blind thanks

>kicking the ass of the 295x2

>the 1070 is just a gimped version of this and will be slower than a 980ti oc

Yes but for half the price

>290x beating 970
>290 beating 780ti
the gimping is real

>60fps @ 4k
>still no vulkan
i wonder what this will get on it compared to amd's cards?

>took three years to dethrone the single-card king

Reminder, mediocre price/performance.

Neither $380 nor $450 is not half of $650

for 65% of price if you are optimist

So a 1080 with a 750Ti (for PhysX) is going to kill right?

Always the case for high end cards.

Still better than Fury (X) and 980 (Ti).

>(for PhysX)
last 8 months I can't remember game except fo4 that used that

Only in certain physx games. The difference probably wouldn't amount of much either.

This really. Nvidia hyped too much and the price point does not support the benchmarks results. Will AMD deliver this time around and force a price war?

>1070
>Founders and aftermarket are $400usd+
>half the price
NOICE MATH THERE

Anyone do any benching with the 1080 and Witcher 3 @1440p?

Nobody seriously thought that it'd run at sub-70, right? Nvidia probably had it in a room with the air conditioning on full blast, several desk fans pointing at the card and the card's fan at 100%. Fine if you live in a wind tunnel, but not realistic for most home users.

1080 probably will sit waiting for the PhysX numbers from the 750ti. I bet it is much better just to run everything on the 1080.

If AMD delivers Nvidia will start bleeding money on price war due to huge chip.
It's lose/lose for them if market share shifts 10%

Polaris 10/11 isn't supposed to compete with 1080. I doubt it will compete with 1070, but it might. The Vegas will compete with 1080 for sure and the ti versions.

>Maxwell - The Die Shrink

Basically. One of the reviews compared an overclocked 1080 to an overclocked 980 Ti and the 980 Ti actually made up ground on it due to having more shaders. Pascal is nothing but Maxwell on a smaller process at higher clocks. Which I guess is fine if the performance is there, but the price they're charging for it is gross.

Feel bad for telling people to drop their 980tis while they can.

I'd rather have 4GB DDR5X than 8GB DDR5.
Was 4GB ever not enough?

That's with hairworks I assume?

Where is this overclock result?
Haven't seen any site that compare 1080 to an overclocked 980ti.

So it's a rebrand + die shrink? This is worse than AMD rebranding 200s into 300s.

did it die?

I've seen some people selling them off ridiculously cheap (around the price of a high end 970). They must feel like fucking idiots right now.

So 10~15% gain over an already overclocked 980 ti. Pretty good considering this isn't even the biggest Pascal yet.

They only got it up to 2ghz but there are already reports of it reaching 2.5ghz. If so we might be looking at 980 ti sli performance here with the upcoming non reference cards.

The 1080 ti will be absolutely crazy.

Oh, and 50% more power efficient than Maxwell.

I suspect they were forced by the "VR revolution" shit.

ofc not, you can freely -20fps for hairworks

LMAO BTFO'd BY GTX 950 AHAHAHAH

At least it's efficient.

FERMI 2.0 CONFIRMED

>amd advocates can't even crop images

and cost upwards of $800 fucking usd or more because who wants to sell the fastest single card below founder pricing at $599?

Anyone who buys this instead of waiting for the 490 and 1070 are completely retarded

Are you fucking retarded?

>So 10~15% gain over an already overclocked 980 ti. Pretty good considering this isn't even the biggest Pascal yet.

But they're also charging 15% more than a 980 Ti for it. A generational leap is supposed to offer more performance for the same price, not an exact scaling of extra performance to higher price.

>50% more power efficient than Maxwell

More like 25% famalam. Which you'd expect from a die shrink anyway.

You had one job

Also
>reference cooling
>y is it hot lol

Maxwell didn't get any performance boost from watercooling. Looks like Pascal will change that.

>Higher is better

DEAR GOD

Thats worse than i expected

Christ almightly this thing is literally going to go thermonuclear at 2.1ghz+

>Stock Fury and 390 are lower in temp despite been on 28nm
what the mcfuck

>posts total power consumption
>tries to make relative comparisons between two different cards from it
How retarded are you?

>But they're also charging 15% more than a 980 Ti for it. A generational leap is supposed to offer more performance for the same price, not an exact scaling of extra performance to higher price.
This.

Fuck 'founders edition' shit too

here is weird thing, tpu(?) posted that OC runs same as not OC =83C
either i'am camel or something is not right

sold my 9 months old TI for 600€
it's ok, still expected more but worth it