Can't find TPG

Hey Sup Forums I just purchased a Thinkpad T420s for $190, did I get memed to the moon and back or did I come out okay. Either way I am in love with this thing so far.

Fuck off little kid

If you like it and you think its worth what you paid then its worth what you paid. You don't need Sup Forums's validation.

I more or less wanted to see if I should resell this to go for a better model.

You came out ok. They're good laptops.

There is no better model. The T420 is the last laptop on the planet with a decent keyboard unless you go for $4000 gaming laptops with full size mechanical keyboards.

I have to agree, the keyboard on this is outstanding. Definitely converted me to a Thinkpad guy.

You mean the T520, upgraded version of the T420

>15.6"
into the trash

To answer the OP, ~$200 is typical market price for a used T420. You should be able to get one for $150 by shopping around, and I got mine for $125.

I paid $150 for mine and feel like I would have paid $250. Good find. Now install Gentoo.

decent price, theyre around 150-200, so you were on the high end but in the acceptable range

It´s not that big you fugging manlet, I have both and the difference isnt that much, though I would have preferred to get the w520, the extra size would well be worth it with its gpu and 4 ram slots but so far the T520 fhd screen is great, its my main machine.

manlets leave

The larger screen is well worth the increase to a 1080p screen. The t420 has objectively the worst ratio and resolution of any thinkpad. The only way its useable as anything more than a netbook is if you have a dock.

OP here thanks for the reply user it was more of a "hey I've heard good things about these" while I was in a pawn shop so I figured I would pick it up before I either 1 forgot about it or 2 someone else got to it. Still very happy with the machine so far.

Since this is the new tpg, thoughts on x201 vs x220? I was looking to get a x220 but I found a x201 on craigslist for ~100$. Worth it?

There are aftermarket screens to increase the resolution on a T420.

There's a 1600x900, but it's still shit. If you're talking about the Chinese fhd conversion, it's a pain and nobody on /tpg/ has bothered.

For the T420 maybe, but it should be straight forward if you have a T420S.
Anyway I should be able to tell you how easy it was next week when I receive my kit in the mail.

But with exception of the screen, I'm already preferring my T420S over my bulky T520. 14 inch is the ideal laptop size.

It doesn't work very well though, does it? Last I heard there were still flickering issues with the 1080p IPS mod. Works fine on the T420s and the T430, but not the regular T420. Other panel mods I know of don't increase the resolution, they just bring improvements to the stock panel's atrocious colors and viewing angles.

X220 has better specs and an IPS option, but X201 has a better keyboard, better aspect ratio, and the possibility of no touchpad since you can swap the palmrest for the one from the X200. I would go for the X201 personally, and this is coming from an X220 owner.

I actually bought a X201 as a replacement for my X60S solely because you can have one without the touchpad, love the minimal approach.

>tfw no X201s with 1440x900 resolution and no touchpad
why even live

>14 inch is the ideal laptop size.
You're preferring it because of the thinness and weight, both advantages that the normal T420 doesn't have.

True, but since OP bought a T420S, why are we even discussing the T420?

Biggest issue with buying a complete laptop is making sure the battery and drives are in the condition that they said they are.

check the battery with thinkpad power manager, or linux's acpi -V. Pretty sure that the thinkpad power manager will also be able to tell you if it's third party. Just in case they slap a sticker on it.

check the drive with gsmartcontrol / any SMART tool or check the SSD with the manufacturer's tool

I always prefer buying the base unit with no battery/drive and then getting them myself for this reason. But if it shows up and it's all what they said it is, then that is a good price for one

Just got a X240 myself.
How'd I do?
I like the size. Not the keyboard top row though. Will try to install Arch on it later.

Huh alright. Thanks for the input. Do you suppose the difference between the processors is very significant?

Meant to reply to

My nigguh, I just bought one too for the same price.

As a portable Sup Forums machine, sure.
4 years ago I had a X201 as my main machine and it never felt sluggish at all, great little laptops. (I think it was the i5-520m model)

Even my X60S is still capable of doing some casual browsing and 480p youtube playback.

Thinking abut getting an E460, criticize me.

Thinkpad E stands for

>Empty
>Ehhhh
>Ediot
>E-shit
>Eat shit
>Eeenternet (as if mexican pronounced "internet")
>Estrogen

Would it run gnome 3 or kde okay? I have a t61 right now that struggles to run xfce and gets ~2.5 hours of battery...

/tpg/ doesn't tell you to avoid the E series to keep them all to themselves.

Depending on your T61 configuration.
I actually also used to have a T61 with a T9300 and the 1680x1050 screen. Never actually felt like it was a slow laptop, but the battery life was atrocious. It did run Windows 7 though, since it was my college laptop back then.

But from what I hear, the i5 520m is about 50% faster in most benchmarks and a lot more energy efficient. (32nm vs 45nm)

I trash picked an R60 over the weekend. I'm diggin the 1400x1050 display. I'm doing various upgrades/repairs with parts off my dead T61p. so far I added bluetooth, wireless n mini pcie, 4 gb ram. Now I just need a C2D t7200......soon

Ok so the x201 i found apparently does have the trackpad ugh. Can i get a replacement palmrest without the trackpad?

I think all X201 models will have the trackpad by default. You get a trackpad-free one by swapping in a palmrest from the X200, which was the last Thinkpad to not have a trackpad.

Ah alright. Sorry forasking so many questions,but do you suppose the x201 wouldbe capabkle of 720p movies on mpv or w/e

I watch 720p and 1080p stuff just fine on my older Core 2 Duo T9300, an X201 shouldn't have any problems.

Ok cool

Just paid $340 (CAD) for a t430 with a 9 cell battery, 8gb ram, i5 3320 CPU, 1600x900 display, perfect physical condition. How'd I do?

TPG thread? TPG thread.

Guys, I'm looking for 12-14" thinkpad with ips screen. I thought about T430s but I couldn't find one in a decent price. I don't really need performance.
T430s get or x220/x230s get?

Has anyone here tried putting a WLAN card into the WWAN slot and masking pin 20 to bypass the BIOS whitelist? Specifically, on a T520?

You're wrong there, you could configure a new X201 without a trackpad, but unfortunately most people got one with the trackpad. But indeed, you can just buy a new palmrest without one.

>TFW just bought a x260 w/ i7 6600u, 1080p fhd, 128gb ssd, and 8gb RAM

Th-this is going to last me all through college right?

Does anyone in Australia want to sell me their T/X60?
They're getting very hard to find now.

Is this the think pad thread now?

I don't know if other manufacturers do this, but the diagnostic tool Lenovo has is fucking awesome! Figured out it was my hard drive causing windows to crash and not a slow CPU or some shit, very easy fix!

Why would you do this? I thought the point of the thinkpad was aftermarket value with maximum cost efficiency in last-gen repairs. Isn't the point the realization of the declining need for next-gen power in an age of overpowered hardware? I'm not hating on you, Im sure you did your research well, I just want you to be aware of this opinion.

>Thinkbad

This, XPS 13 or get the fuck out of Sup Forums.

Depends on what you do. I have roughly those specs today and I'm looking to upgrade soon.

Hey, I was looking at that ad just today. I ended up buying the x220 from ebay. Did you end up on something?

Because I need a lightweight and compact laptop for college, but I also would like a laptop where I can do moderate amounts of gaming.

Lenovo also had a memorial day sale which took off around $400 from their standard retail price. I did a lot of looking around and the X series thinkpads are pretty much king when it comes to portable and lightweight laptops. If I was in the market for a workstation, I had other options from dell and hp, but from what I could tell, there is no beating the X series in terms of portability and power.

My parameters were 1080p FHD, i7, decent gpu, non-workstation laptop, modular, and from a dependable brand. There's really not a whole lot to choose from.

I've had a T420s for 3 years. Some recommendations:

Check your battery. Mine is at 75% and only gets 2 hours of battery life
Don't smash the keyboard. It lays directly on some surface mounted components
Bluetooth can go off if you press the right side of the palmrest too hard
Hinges get wobbly
The rubber foot on the battery will come off
Clean your fan regularly. I clean mine every 6 months.
Clean the speaker grills with a toothbush
Don't go too hard on the WI-FI switch or it will break and lock your wireless off forever.
Hard drives can only be 7mm, most 2.5" hard drives will not fit
Ultrabay batteries are insanely expensive
You can have up to 3 storage devices, main Sata slot, MSata SSD and ultrabay.

HP has one and I think Dell has one as well, but on certain models I believe, not all.

Not sure if the X260 has good enough cooling, I had problems gaming on a T440p.

Get a laptop cooler and call it a day.

>XPS 13
>t420
>Equivalent price

What OS do you use in your Thinkpads?

I wanted to try Linux/Arch, but it looks like my T400 is somehow incompatible with grub and I couldn´t change systems. Got stuck in Arch.

Right now I´m running Windows/Linux Mint, the first one for a couple work related programs that I need and the second one for university stuff and programming.

/tpg/ is up:

What would you possibly upgrade to? Are you a time traveler?