/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovocampus.de/haendlersuche.php#haendler
youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What OS do you use in your Thinkpads?

I wanted to try Linux/Arch, but it looks like my T400 is somehow incompatible with grub and I couldn´t change systems. Got stuck in Arch.

Right now I´m running Windows/Linux Mint, the first one for a couple work related programs that I need and the second one for university stuff and programming.

Why is X220 the recommended model here? I'm interested in getting one.

Muh keyboard

Why is the ThinkPad keyboard so god-tier, Sup Forums? Why were ones like it abandoned in favour of chicshit?

Because they use rubber dome switches, the other laptops use scissors one which makes them less comfortable to type on.

Any X220 owners please respond.

Because it's a nice and portable decently specced little thing. And yeah, the keyboard.

I have an x220
Its a good laptop overall and pretty cheap all things considered. Its probably the best bang for your buck laptop out there. Its recommended a lot because impoverished neets can't afford hp elite books or dell latitudes or the latest thinkpad models so they get the next best thing

I just use OpenBSD. Works great.

The chiclet keyboard and the scissor switches use the same mechanism,

The problem with the new keyboards is not the way it feels, but that abortion of a layout.

I love mine, I have an i7 X220 in near perfect condition, when the IPS panel arrives it'll be a perfect little machine for shitposting, although I do wish it had slightly more sane aspect ratio like 16:10 or 3:2.

Just copped a T450 for $320
How mad is /tpg/?

What is a thinkpad of bikes Sup Forums?

Please, if you don't know what you're talking about, just don't fucking post.

Why would anyone be mad? Nice cop!

Because it's the last one with the classic keyboard

Old used bike for which you buy new tires and a seat

This is my opinion from experience no need to be aggressive

You're a fucking retard, they all use fucking scissor switches

My bad.
After looking up I see what scissors switches are now

Quick somebody zoom and enhance this Craigslist picture.
I can't tell if that's an X220 or what.

that's a x41t :^)

Doesn't look at all like a T at the end to me, and there's certainly a 2 in there somewhere.
It looks most like X[?]20T right?.

that was a joke, use your common sense user

there was only one x series with that kind of 7 row keyboard and it was the x220

>common sense
Eh. I don't have the right knowledge to emphatically say it's only a 220. Thanks, though.

I need a new laptop for college programming work and browsing since my old one died, any suggestions on which thinkpad model I should get?

Literally read the OP.

I need a new computer because I am about to graduate from Uni and the macbook days need to be put behind me.
I want to get a neo thinkpad. Before someone says T420 or X220 my answer is already no.
I need an opinion on these two models.
I am either going to buy a maxed out T460s, a maxed out P50 or a semi top spec P70.
Which would you guys choose? Is the P series worth the extra dosh for the quadro card or should I just get the T460s. I will play WoW and Overwatch on this machine but besides that it will be strictly for office, graphic design, the basic programming.

A friend´s got a T40. I´ve got a T400. We´re both quite happy with our choice. Another one´s got an Xsomething. He likes his keyboard less than ours but likes the extra portability.

Read OP.

How much are you willing to spend?

It's an X220, the clickpad gives it away.

How to remove the "beeps" enable by default in a fresh install of Linux?

I would say I want to keep it under or at $2000 though because honestly if I am going over that it is a bit much. The mac was $2500 5 years ago and I still don't feel like I got my money out of it. This will be my main machine because I am never in the same place more than 5 days at a time.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an obscure (and / or shitty) something-something-20 that I could be walking into.

rmmod pcspkr

>rmmod pcspkr
thank you !

P70 is 17.3" but only 1080p, that's something to keep in mind.

Honestly I don't know much about workstations.

The only thing you'd have to watch out for are -i suffix models, which are underspecced but otherwise identical models for the education market. I don't see the suffix on that one and there's an i5 sticker on it, so you're good.

I am leaning more towards the P50 because it has a 4k option and for less money I can get more or less the same specs but I need to know if the extra cost over the T460s is worth it or not.
Will that dedicated professional grade mobile card be a sound idea?

Does anyone have a t530? Is it a good school computer? How long does the battery last?

OpenBSD on both my X220 and T420. I used to have an X220T and ran Slackware 13.33 and 14.0 on it.

I think that quite a few of the OpenBSD devs use Thinkpads.

if you wanted to play overwatch and WoW, 4k resolution is not your friend

again i don't really know much about workstations, i only have a x220 and x260

>thinking about buying a t420 for a while now for when I go to uni
>someone's selling one for 75 bong dollars
It apparently won't work unless it's plugged in, but that shouldn't be difficult to replace should it?

Bought a T61 (T7500 | 1GB | 120GB HDD | 14.1") for ~$88 and an extra 1GB RAM for $7, was it a good deal? Also does Arch Linux works well in T61?

>It apparently won't work unless it's plugged in

either fucked battery or fucked motherboard

Depends why it won't work without being plugged in.

congrats on overpaying for a 9 year old laptop

>good deal
Eh. You could have gotten more for the same or less.
>Arch
Yeah, runs great even on my T60.

>X220 being recommended
>1366x768

KEK. Has Sup Forums officially delved into cuckoldism?

The thing is, I live in Brazil and I don't have many options, this was the best deal I could find. Also this will not be my main notebook, it's just to take to classes.

Flash Middleton's BIOS and load it up with a Penryn CPU and an SSD and you'll have a beauty of a machine.

Then why ask if it was a good deal?

Poorfag here, looking into used thinkpads since my old laptop (a shitty g465) is kill
My two choices are t410 or x201
Will be using it for ableton live and some casual vídeo editing in vegas (or premiere if its usable), also for shitposting as expected
What do Sup Forums?

anyone know of a G40/41/50 for sale?
looking for the mobile housefire experience

I never tried a T410 but I the x201 I bought few month ago to replace my (now dead) netbook made me regret I didn't felt for the meme sooner.

Any nice steel 90's MTB that's not rusted
Though better to ask /n/

>non-chiclet Thinkpad usb keyboard starts at £59.99

just got a t61 for 40 burger dollars. perfect condition.

Not really, specially not foot games
Though you should compare the raw specs of the cards, also Intel iGPU's age like shit and Intel kills driver updates after a gen or two

I wonder if you can pop a t420 keyboard in a chiclet one...
I went with a RT3200 (basic rubberdome tkl with trackpoint) instead though.

On a 12" screen, which is acceptable

you can put a x220 keyboard in a x230, but some of the buttons don't work

idk about t420 in a t430

Its the same exact keyboard on all of the ##20s. I was just wondering if the usb keyboard uses a special connector for the keyboard or if its just a case and a normal thinkpad keyboard.

I see a couple of G40s on ebay for $50 each, but they don't have AC adapters. There's also a G41 but it costs $120, which I would say is a bit much to spend on a literal meme machine.

im debating buying it just to install windows xp and put it out of its misery

what cruel bastard installed 8.1 and then 10 on an x41?

dude, win10 alredy struggled on my x60t and thats was a dual core/

>what cruel bastard installed 8.1 and then 10 on an x41?
Someone who thinks that it will make it more desireable to normies.

Yeah why 220 over 201?

ive always wanted an x40/41 tablet
theyre just beautiful devices

but plsno windows 10

if i were to get an xp recovery disk could i install windows xp with it? or would that only work if there were traces of windows xp still on the hdd?

ive got two more thinkpads with windows xp keys, but ive never had to do a reinstall

hey, not judging you there, theres something nice about 4:3 convertible laptops. but, why a X41t? why not a X61t which have more raw speed? yeah sure, its a lenovo one, but still have the IBM logos and all.

anyway, Win 10 on my x60t was just testing how the OS would respond on a limited hardware.

well i bought it
it uses my t42's charger so i dont need to get one of those at least

what i think im going to do, is im going to switch out the hard drive with the one in my R52, which has mint on it and runs pretty well with windowmaker
issue might be touchscreen drivers

if that doesnt work, ill install xp on it, if that doesnt work out (which it might not because im retarded with this kind of stuff) ill install ubuntu on it

i just dont want to see it suffer Sup Forums
it can come here, and chill with the t42, r52 and r30, free of botnet

>x260 won't arrive for 2 weeks
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH MY LIFE UNTIL THEN

>b-but he's only half black

Is that the excuse you made when you were presented with the fact that you let your girlfriend get fucked and creamed by a nigger?

i wanted an x40 or 41 over an x60 or 61 because i simply didnt want to get that close to the lenovo era
i like the oldschool ibm shit, i dont exactly collect the laptops, but i like having them, i got 15 hours of overtime in last week and i felt like adding something to the pile

You don't have a life anymore. Go check that tracking, it might've moved!

Has anyone here tried putting a WLAN card into the WWAN slot and masking pin 20 to bypass the BIOS whitelist? Specifically, on a T520?

alright, now ive wasted all my overtime money and ive got a new laptop to play with

never actually owned a touchscreen laptop before

The pixel density is higher than a Macbook Air my retarded senpai

I went to youtube to look for a x260 unboxing video to appease myself BUT THERE AREN'T ANY

>9 cell will arrive this week
hell fuken yeah

Is it worth trading a dual core pentium compaq for an i5 t420?

For sure, Sandy Bridge i5s still beat up later i3s, never mind shit-tier Pentiums.

I should sell my extra brand new 9 cell, but i might need it later on...

ive got two and an ultrabay battery for my t42, so i can hotswap batteries in the middle of the day
>tfw total 12 hour battery life
>14 if i count the 3 cell ultrabay battery

>i simply didnt want to get that close to the lenovo era

fun fact: they were made by lenovo

>my c-cock still h-has 2 more veins than Jamal's, honey

Keep live your deluded low resolution thinkcuck lifestyle

yeah, but the x40/41 didnt have the word "lenovo" on it
the x60/61/61s does

Where can I buy thinkpad tablets in the EU?
Seriously, I've been looking for all of these: X200t, X201t, X220t, X230t, X61 literally everywhere.
But I just couldn't find them.
Can anyone help please?

ebay

I'm in the UK and in my experience, most sellers are British or German

The US ones were a bit cheaper even with shipping, but I would get hit with customs

>bought a SP3 back in October for uni
>completely forgot about X-series Thinkpads

fuck

Anyone with a T460? Is it true that dual HDD doesn't work? Like a M2 SSD in the WWAN slot and 2.5" drive in normal slot

lenovocampus.de/haendlersuche.php#haendler

germany

ebay nigger

>Linux mint USB
That's a joke right?

>tfw sold my i7 x230 and got dv8p with bluetooth keyboard instead
Feels pretty good to be able to charge my main PC anywhere plus ability to charge it from power banks

i dont have any usb sticks laying around

P50 reporting in

How's battery life and what tools you use? That's my main concern with BSD or Linux on laptops

youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k
>this is what triggers laptopfags
Soon we'll be able to do such things with smartphones