/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/seiko-sarb033-watch
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-xZ2lfUMM
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-Automatic-Watch-LORD-MATIC-LM-5601-9000-23J-1972-Original-Band-/272256957408
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-Quartz-Watch-KING-TWIN-QUARTZ-9223-8000-SS-1981-Original-Band-/272258680672
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Second for advice on possibly fiddled with old oris

Or to get not Romani numerali

thoughts on this watch?

Might as well post about flintknapping.

>dat everything

How do i become speed master

Roman numerals are sexy wish more watches had them

Anyone have a Invicta 8926OB? Thinking about getting it as my first automatic but I heard issues with quality control.

i wonder why oris doesn't get more attention, they're an independent company which everyone loves rolex and the like for, have their own style/don't really rip off others.

I really dig the Aquis. I almost bought one at one point but had a change of heart, it's still on my list though.

Rate my new memewatch

And yes, that's a $73 bracelet on a $29 watch

Meme/10 indeed. Whe are you going to buy a big boy watch??

Invicta have a bad rep for quality. Better autos from better manufacturers for less
Look around a bit first in your price range

Do people fake Seiko 5's? I want to buy one but it's out of stock everywhere but eBay. Not sure if that means it could be a scam since I don't use eBay. If it means anything the sellers rating is like 98.9% or something.

I really like them. That's why i was excited to find these two old ones.
I'm just worried about buying a refurbished watch.
But i really like the look of the blue one

I wanted the col moshin.
Ended up changing my mind and getting a second hand submariner, but like you i still have the col moshin on my list

No they India them.
People from India have about 12 million seiko 5 watches so the pull them out of the ganges and drain the water out, repaint the dial and sell them for $20.
Look on ebay India and don't pay much and you will find what you want

>having poo in your watch

wat

They work and they are cheap. As long as you get a good refurb who fucking cares.
Spray the watch with isopropyl if you are so fucking worried

Hey guys slava buyer here.
I got slav'd
Watch looks great and runs but the movement seems loose in the case and the button to change over the day doesn't work.

I want to know how to take the crown off so i can pull the movement out to check the button and try to put it back in without the play in it.
Any ideas?

Sheeeeeit. Keep us updated pls.

give me the pill Sup Forums
are bulova any good?

Their ultra high frequency quartz movement is kind of cool but outside of the watches that use that Bulova is incredibly mediocre.

Would the seller say from India? This one says Singapore. And it costs $99 CAD (which is actually a decent deal in Canada.)

Better autos for less? Seiko movement with hacking and handwinding for under $100 that you find in $400 watches?

Need a diving watch, gonna spend the summer in Bahamas.

Price range is 150-250 ameribucks

Fancy is okay, the more useful stuff on the watch face the better.

Was in the Omega boutique in NYC the other day and was taken into the "VIP section" whatever that's supposed to mean and they had an old central tourbillon DeVille, pretty cool to see.

Singapore sounds legit, the Indian sellers don't hide the fact the watch has been "refurbished "

Shut up and buy a Seiko Monster.

I was thinking more along the lines of something pleasing to look at, not a sausage cutting machine face.

Good fucking shit user. Pulsar needs to pay me...
Anyway, does it actually have fat seiko diver style spring bars?
Mind taking pics of it off the bracelet?
It's 20mm right?
Also you stole my idea of putting it on an engineer.

Can this pass off as a gen?

he's not wrong, but he's just stating the general consensus re: Invicta

the 8926OB is literally their only good watch

I don't know if gen or not but post pic of watch in water. If you cannot do it. It's fake.

worst submariner fake ive ever seen

i have fallen for the vostok amphibia meme and am now planning on buying one. ideally i want one with the scuba dude and blue dial, will probably replace bezel at a later time.

this isn't the usual watch im interested in where i can just buy it on amazon or longislandwatch though. what are the best online retailers for these? i tried having a look myself but they all look suspect (note: i would rather get from a retailer than ebay.).

are any models known for having issues, or are they all pretty much the same movement with different case designs and dials? i have no idea about these apart from "glorious soviet watch of russian people"

ive seen people post pics of new amphibias that have been announced with the hexagonal cases, when are those coming? is it worth waiting? any change in the movement?

Hi! I'm looking for a simple and casual watch under $200 with metal straps and sapphire crystal. Had the Seiko sgeh49p1 in mind, what s do you think about it? Thanks in advance

Another $100 gets you a decent watch.

massdrop.com/buy/seiko-sarb033-watch

>this isn't the usual watch im interested in where i can just buy it on amazon
But you can buy them on Amazon.
>what are the best online retailers for these?
Meranom.com
>are they all pretty much the same movement with different case designs and dials?
Yes.
>when are those coming?
Sometime this year.
>is it worth waiting?
If you don't need a watch immediately, yes. For a roughly similar price you will get some more for your money in quality.
>any change in the movement?
No, unfortunately.

i meant buy them with fulfillment by amazon not from a seller on there

ty for this infographic

Get on my level you fucking plebs

That's some cool shit

Did blue scubadude dial have a date frame some time back or is this modded? Because the current blue scubadude looks pretty bad, the black one has at least some kind of frame on the date

there
What now faggot??

I don't go that low

What watch should I get Sup Forums? Budget is $35,000 USD. What would you buy? Thinking about an AP Royal Oak variant or a Patek Caltrava. Other suggestions welcome.

That's a really nice piece, although I'd always prefer the original central tourbillon, the H1 from Haldimann.

BTW, why is there an old purists logo in the background? Are you a purist m8?

I can't believe this shit doesn't hack. WTF, Francois-Paul?

>i wonder why oris doesn't get more attention
non-standard lugs on their dive watches

I would buy a Fifty Fathoms and a Grande Reverso Duo.

Archie reviewing a Seiko and not calling it dogshit. Is this real world?

forgot link

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-xZ2lfUMM

Well the SARY055 is a great watch.

Isn't the blue gen supposed to pop out more?

>What watch should I get Sup Forums? Budget is $35,000 USD
Do you have other watches or would this be your first high-end piece?

Great to see some love for my personal selections. Thanks anons.

These are clearly Indian "poo in loo" specials. DO NOT BUY.

THANK YOU. I'm glad someone pointed that out.

just look at those terribly repainted dials. I've seen worse but I'd still rather burn my money than spend it on one of those

I like this one. How much are they asking for it? Vintage Oris should be very affordable.

Student here.
Is my only option for a 'good' watch to go for a Seiko?
I really like the (for me) high end spectrum and fell in love with watches ever since I saw Celadon and some of the bauhaus stuff that gets posted here.
The simpler the better but it needs to have some personality. It seems like the Seiko watches have none of that.

Oh and I'm definetly not going to buy DW.
So.. Are there any 'good' watches?

>I'd still rather burn my money
It all depends on the price. If those are really, really cheap and user likes them, why wouldn't he get something he'll probably enjoy?

High end spectrum for Seiko are the Grand Seiko line and the Credor line.

Vintage King Seiko's are also an option.

They are poo in the loo'd Seiko and Citizen's that somebody painted Oris on the dial.

In some cases they even polish off the original markings from the movement.

good to see you came back lawyer
you need to take more macro pics of your other watches and post them :^)

is it true the amphibia has no clicks on the bezel and just spins around randomly?

what's your budget?

I'm in the same boat as you desu. I only want to spend max $300 but at that price there's only boring shit or vintage and I'm too scared to buy vintage in case I get a frankenwatch.

if you want a Nomos, well, it's good motivation to stay in school innit

hey what do you think of this King Seiko?

44XX King Seiko's are fine but they have a few issues that i don't quite recall. Why would you go for the 18000bph version though.

If one of our Candaians is awake he should know exactly why.

Ideally you should go for 5246 and 5256 King Seiko's. LM Specials are also great purchases for sub 300$.

Yes. You understand me completely.

It's not like I wouldn't drop $1k on a watch, I would easily.
It's just that I don't have that right now and it's more likely that I have a few hundreds left at the end of a good month.

And then there's the struggle of picking a watch that's probably the only one you're going to wear for the next 2+ years so it needs to be classic but also have some personality.

It's truly suffering.

It does not click and can rotate in both directions. However on new ones at least it doesn't spin randomly, the bezel is very tight and only moves when you turn it.

>In some cases they even polish off the original markings from the movement.
Damn. SInce I don't usually buy on the dirt cheap side of the market I'm not familiarized with this awful practices.
Indeed, if this sad reality is true, it's not only a shame, but a big no no.

Thanks m8. I'll sure take them.

Have you ever tried to see if there is a local second hand watch market in your city?? Buying vintage is way easier if you're doing it in person.

November can't come soon enough.

hey thanks, you really know your shit. I'll shop around a bit more.

I was just about to ask you how to buy one of those watches.
Every time I think about buying one I get stuck on eBay and see these horrible scratched watches for insane prices.

Thanks for all the help.

Mostly just the Indians doing this kinda of crap. Really easy to spot and avoid as well since they do a shit job.

Though you can easily see if they have polished the original markings off the movements, since there's usually a big plop of metal that is out of place and doesn't look like the original brushing.

It's either me or one of the Candians that usually collect these JDM pieces.

5216 is the best bang for you buck hi-beat that you can get.

I want that seiko lm on the right soooo bad. Can't find where to buy anywhere. Could someone help me find not to expensive good model?

Since you own one or several of these, did you go to a local place?
Or did you buy them from a certain website or seller? If so, can you recommend a few sellers that are reputable or where to find them?

I found this.
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-Automatic-Watch-LORD-MATIC-LM-5601-9000-23J-1972-Original-Band-/272256957408

Well, that's why I keep saying the same thing over and over:
Before buying online try to buy local.
-At least, for this price range.-

But it doesn't have that hidden lugs

Now it's mine.

fuck off guys. I'm already watching that same watch

Actually one exactly like mine popped up a while ago on eBay.

But otherwise, you can either buy them on eBay or Y! Japan auctions.

Online only, the only local piece is pic related. Bought for 20$ sold for 60$.

Reputable sellers that do sell JDM pieces (off the of my head), reed0702, nonkun0508 Kate_Davis/Seikoman35 (Same guy, James, and pretty bro tier)

It's a pretty good piece, i've been eyeing for one of these for a while before going for a Weekdater.

It's a different movement than my 52XX which isn't a high beat variant, but because it's a no-date version it lacks the issue with the 56XX cals and it's still super slim.

You can have it.
I'm just scouting around for those other Anons.

How is this one?
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-Quartz-Watch-KING-TWIN-QUARTZ-9223-8000-SS-1981-Original-Band-/272258680672

can someone id this for me

Now this will be mine too.

I wonder would it look OK with 7inch wrist?

It's a Citizen.
An Eco-Drive, I must add.

My friend has a noob V6 and swims with it all the time, I don't think waterproofing is hard to do with a screw down caseback and crown.

I wouldnt go for it man.
Just bookmark the guy and check in every 2 weeks

Thanks Sherlock. We'll call you when the next case comes up.

LOL You already made an offer fatso?
It wont fit.

It is auction, so I could only bid.

About 35 burger dollars if my quick math is correct free postage

Seems like someone bid 1 more cent than you did.

Yeah that's not me, is bait user posting to himself

Why do you guys not like SARBs?
6R15 too mainstream for you?

The movements look like the proper st96 movements