Sup Forumsentlemen

Sup Forumsentlemen.

I am a complete retard when it comes to anything in the online sphere. And so, I need your suggestions for something very simple.

THE OBJECTIVE!
I am trying to create a simple one-page website for my business. Just a short "about" and some contact info. So I am looking for the best hosting/easy website creation.

WHAT I'D LIKE TO AVOID
-The exorbitant pricing of say squarespace.
-Those hosts that offer free idiot-proof site creation tools, but put banner ads on your site

WHAT MY IDIOT SOLUTION IS
I was thinking of buying a domain through wordpress (They host right?) and building the site with wordpress.. But I'm sure that's somehow retard-tier.

I am at your mercy.

Other urls found in this thread:

calomel.org/lighttpd.html
nearlyfreespeech.net/services/pricing
nearlyfreespeech.net/services/hosting
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Go fuck yourself.

>Crying on the insideJerking it on the outside

1. Obtain computing device and install OpenBSD with lighttpd. See: calomel.org/lighttpd.html
2. Purchase domain
3. Ensure privacy of domain details.
4. Set up dynamic DNS, DNSSEC, and TLS/A.
5. Make your website.
6. Kill yourself for being such a retard that you cannot research this yourself.

Seriously though go fuck yourself. We have a web dev general for a reason you fucking newfag.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it seeing as I can't really reward you with anything.

So lets say I am not interested in hosting myself. Where would you buy your hosting?
I could research it myself, but I trust your expert opinion and EXPERIENCE, more than my googling some outdated blog reviews, perhaps created by a hosting service as marketing.

But wordpress is fine otherwise?

I would never buy hosting, simple as that.

Wordpress is insecure garbage.

www.nearlyfreespeech.net

You pay what you use. So a one page website will literally cost you cents. $5 will probably be enough for months.

Make the page in HTML/CSS. Very easy to make. Check w3schools for the basics that you need.

>I would never buy hosting, simple as that.

That's nice. But my strengths lie in a different area and economically speaking it would be as irrational for me to spend time learning how to do my own hosting as it would be for you to grow your own potatoes or sew your own clothes.

>Wordpress is insecure garbage

Security in obscurity my friend. There would be very little reason for anyone to target my website for any reason whatsoever. I'm not going to do transactions or anything through it. Simply display some basic contact information.

I like your passion though.

That's pretty darn nifty.
What's the catch?

>What's the catch?

There isn't one. It's down-to-earth hosting.

nearlyfreespeech.net/services/pricing

Don't expect bells and whistles. You can ftp/ssh into your website to upload the files.

why not just buy a really shitty small computer, and host it through there with a dns through your isp?

that way you dont have to deal with someone elses shit, and youll learn a lot + get to tweak it and play around, gaining valuable information?

Are they able to cope with big fluctuations in traffic?

I work in an area where I might see almost no traffic but then after a successful "job" the site could get a lot of hits in a very short time.

Also.. Are they too good at coping with fluctuations?

I mean do they just keep supplying/billing you for bandwidth with no roof or limit?

Also... I'm sure w3schools is awesome and making the site with some basic HTML/CSS is almost like breathing to you. But I'm going to use something where I can skip coding entirely if possible. Like wordpress and a template. So if you have a superior idiots' alternative that's super.

But I'm not going to dip my toe into web development. I'll be shit at it or I'll pick it up really easy and then end up spending a week obsessing and doing "muh perfect" website. When I should be doing my job instead.

Same reason you do not make your own socks, plant your own potatoes, fix your own car and build your own furniture.

The time it would take me to learn to do that stuff I could spend on my business earning enough money to buy the potatoes/pay someone to build the site. It's wouldn't be economical.

The only reason I'd do it would be purely through interest of the subject of web development (Which I'm sure is how you taught yourself) but at this moment I am simply not curious about web development.

I understand the impulse however.

>Are they able to cope with big fluctuations in traffic?

>I mean do they just keep supplying/billing you for bandwidth with no roof or limit?

Dude, just read the website:

nearlyfreespeech.net/services/hosting

They explain everything. They charge $0.15-0.25/GiB. If all you're hosting is an about and contact page that should be more than enough.

its stupid easy to implement, lemme tell ya. like one night at a computer

fuck wordpress. if youre local and just want an "about us" + contact page, just make a facebook page. at least with that, you can interact with customers and take inquiries, along with other cool shit like events and mapping

Buy a raspberry pie slap Apache or whatever on it just let it run 24/7.

>One night at a computer

Do you have any idea how much work I could get done in one night?
Anyway the time would be better spent planting potatoes. You should plant your own potatoes as well. You'll learn a lot doing it.

>if youre local and just want an "about us" + contact page, just make a facebook page.

My area of business is slightly different. It wouldn't make sense for me to do a FB or tumblr or whatever the kids do these days.
A simple professional elegant one pager is all I need.

(And once again I thank you guys for all your input, spirited fellas)

I could have spend that 30 min plating so many potatoes / buying stocks / upholstering my own chairs.

(And really the problem isn't setting the thing up, it's the time/money wasted when something breaks that is the issue)

Fuck off ernie

i think youre a fucking stuck up faggot and your business is going to stagnate

Then hire someone who can set that up for you.
Will cost you some dough, work hours + material.
There no helping you.
It takes some knowledge even though its easy to do.

If you just need a braindead easy, drag-and-drop interface for a simple website without having to really learn anything, just use Weebly.

>My area of business is slightly different. It wouldn't make sense for me to do a FB or tumblr or whatever the kids do these days.
>A simple professional elegant one pager is all I need.

OP sucks dicks for money.

Possibly, or I just come across as such in text. I'm sure my sense of humour doesn't help either.

I could but that would be more expensive than simply going the managed wordpress route and paying godaddy for the basics. I was asking for the best alternative to that. Not how to do it all myself. Like I've said. Time is money.

Ah but as I mention in my OP, those fuckers put up banner ads unless you pay them not to. And If I need to pay anyway.. who offers the best service?
Weebly, squarespace, goddady+wordpress, hostgator+wordpress?

Maybe I should have been more explicit in my request. I tend to drone on...

>Security in obscurity my friend. There would be very little reason for anyone to target my website for any reason whatsoever. I'm not going to do transactions or anything through it. Simply display some basic contact information.
>he believes that his computing resources are worthless to other people
if your site gets any viewers it's useful as a drive-by-download page
if your site doesn't get viewers it can still be used as a CNC server or as a DDoS bot
there are still kids that go around running scripts on random sites until they find one that they can vandalize. wordpress is so easy to fuck up and a new exploit comes out a few times a year. unless you want to be constantly minding your site and keeping abreast of security news I'd steer clear.

I've cleaned wordpress sites about 30 times, and most sites got hit more than once. Eventually I migrated people over to plain (hardly) HTML and they had no issues. Wordpress isn't even for normal websites, it's for blogs, comments and jazz like that

nearlyfreespeech is one of the best web hosting companies, and they have decent rates on domains too. writing an html website is easier than using microsoft word. there are plenty of totally free HTML template pages that you can just replace the lorem ipsum with your own rambling

avoid using sites like eigbox, 1and1 or netfirms. their prices are low but they get slammed like 5 times a year because they're staffed by indians that don't know how to update apache or the absolutely awful management console that everyone uses

wordpress is stupid. I rescue liberal arts majors from wordpress all the time, and they wonder why nobody told them how to do things the easy way. then I fuck them in their whore mouths

this is good, but I would suggest nginx. I can see it's more involved than you want, which is why I suggest NSF, the best laziest approach. Make sure to get the domain privacy though, and never let it lapse.

Actually I pretend to be a Hitman. And after people pay me, I simply skip out of town. What are they going to do, call the cops?

You can suck dick on tumblr.

we told you the best way, then you started talking about potatoes

wordpress is for blogs. you said many times that you want a single page. Regular HTML is the only sane choice.

If 9 year old girls in 1998 could make multi-page websites about gay ponies or something, then a grown man on Sup Forums who is supposedly running his own business should have no trouble.

It's not that I can't. It's that my time would be better spent doing my work in a very basic economic sense that I understand is hard for you to understand even if I put it in terms of potatoes.

But I've spent more time reiterating that than it would take to built the site. So who's the idiot now..

do you know how long it takes to get a wordpress site working? according to everyone in this thread it's longer than making a single page HTML site, which is canonically and empirically the simplest kind of site you could possibly have.

if making a single page HTML site is not worth the effort then there is no site you could build that would be worth the effort

you didn't really come here for advice on websites, did you?

No I came for advice on hosting and but then you guys kept talking about websites. I thought about pointing that out, but I decided you might feel insulted somehow. This is after all tumblr with penises.

Anyway the website is up now. I respect that you want people to learn things. But sometimes just giving people what they want it's the easiest answer. I can understand if experience has taught you otherwise. But it can be true.

Goodbye fellas. Stay chill.

post website or it didn't happen

What banner ads? I haven't experienced that with weebly.