/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/d_olex/status/737936305514893313
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Best source for t420 new keyboards besides ebay? Budget wise

What's everyone got in the mail?

T60p with what is most likely 1600x1200 Flexview. Snagged it for $95, so even if it's only 1400x1050 it's still a fair deal.

First for Wangblows will never know Openbox

Once again ill just put all my shit in one post:

>X41 with Windows 10 on it
How do i get it back to xp, basically
Ive ordered a recovery disk for XP and i have XP keys, do i have to use the key on the laptop or can i use any XP key i have around?
Is there a specific build ill need for a touchscreen or can i install that stuff after regular XP?
IF all else fails, ill be installing Mint on it, in which case, what DE works best with a touchscreen, and how do i get a touchscreen to work with Mint?

>T42 and R52
I want to get an SSD for both, ive already got two Pentium M 2ghz cpus and 2gb of ram in each, where can i find 40gb+ or 32gb pata IDE SSD's for fairly cheap?

>R30
Hard drive is near death, anything i can do about it to keep it alive for a little while longer? Or is it normal for a 4gb hard drive from the early 2000's to sound like a servo motor on fire?

Thanks /tpg/ for your help with my various issues over the past few months since i first got the T42 at your suggestion.

>1600x1200 Flexview
Here's hoping, mang, that'd be bitchin.

Anyone have a link for a cheap variety pack of clits?

I went to an office in my Uni and the desk clerk had a T400 with pristine condition. I felt happy such a glorious machine is still truckin'

>X41
You can use any key, there not much point in activating XP nowadays
>T42 and R52
AliExpress
>R30
It's normal

To the macfag who wanted to switch out to a thinkpad, don't. You'll regret it

cool, just wondering about the recovery of XP, if windows 10 is currently on it, and i only have a recovery copy, would i need the full install disk to actually install XP? or can it be done with just the recovery copy

How do you niggers use the vaginal mouse in the center of the keyboard?
Example: right hand, middle finger, palm hovering over keyboard/mousepad
I never use mine but know others do.

pointer finger, and i click with my thumb

My x200's fan is running at 4200RPM pretty much all day.
Maybe it's because I always have chrome open.
The computer is also plenty warm, so I'd rather not override the auto fan setting.

Is there any way to throttle my CPU to lessen heat output?
I tried adjusting the CPU governor settings in the bios and it doesn't affect anything.
I'm on debian, btw.

>I never use mine
absolutely disgusting.
Just try it, put your index or middle finger on it and use your thumb for the buttons. It might take like 1 or 2 days to get used to but after that you'll be questioning how did you do your computing without one.
My favorite part of it is the super responsive scrolling

>was planning to get a Latitude E7470 for university
>out of stock at the moment
>randomly notice a really good Macbook Air offer

I'm so tempted, help

Is ~150$ for a x220 with i5 2520m, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and not IPS a good deal?

Macbook air is a cool notebook, no shame in buying one, I actually prefer it over the carbon when it comes to thin ass laptops.

>not IPS
Unless you feel comfortable adding your own, spring for the IPS.
Good deal though IMO. These new old models are getting cheap as ball sweat.

Bought a 12.5" ThinkPad Yoga. Set my robot dick e-cigarette on it. Leaked juice all down the keyboard, seeped into the charging port. No longer charges. Stripped the fuck out of a screw trying to open it up. Said fuck it, bought a new (used) 15 incher Yoga because I'm not poor.

How does this make you feel?

Also why does Sup Forums tend to hate the ThinkPad Yoga line?

Did you try the rubber band trick to get the stripped one out?

I think I can add it myself later. I probably will end up buying more RAM or an SSD before the screen though IDK

The Yoga line isn't utilitarian.

Yes. No dice. At some point I may buy a screw extractor kit and just take a drill to it.

Does anyone else's trackpoint hurt their wrist? If I use mine for like an hour or so I notice my wrist starts to hurt...

My T60's palmrest is nice and long, so it's comfy all the time. Might be a more common problem among X220 manlets.

Is there anywhere other than ebay/CL equivalents to look for old laptops?

I'm trying to find a T60 or X60 for Libreboot, but they don't seem to exist in Australia anymore.

I'm on a T61 right now. I just ordered an x220 though...

pawn shops, garage sales, flea markets, computer surplus stores

YEAH!

Swapped the system board back out to the old one, but overall netted a better LCD and CPU.

Worth it I guess.

Still may upgrade the system board and LCD hinges at some point.

>XP
All of my why.

Yonah isn't even 64 bit or good enough for modern use, XP is faster too.

To prove the comp works thoroughly after I fucked it up in an environment in which I'm comfortable.

>bought t530
>windows 8
lol

Is paying more for an X220 with i7 worth it or should I go with the i5-2520m? I have a pretty good deal for a one with the i5 but I wanna know what difference in the real world those two have.

>tfw IBM Thinkpad logo too small for T420
Fuck

Is there anyway I can change my latitude e6430 screen? I really hate the TN panel

I believe the i7 has USB 3(x1). That's it.
Wiki has specifics.
x220 already gets pretty hot, so I personally wouldn't want a sandy vagina i7 in it. The 2520m and the one above would be fine for a laptop in today's day and age.

Yeah I know about the USB 3.0, however I could make the expresscard an USB 3.0 port. I just care about the performance of the two processors because I plan on having it (x220) for a long time. I guess i'm really just debating with myself and I should probably stop being an autist and just buy the 2520m, since I only plan on using it for work / university and I have a desktop for gaming anyway.

If you want the best out of it, pay the extra and go all the way while you're here doing it.
Don't regret later when you feel sluggish.
Godspeed fag.

Especially since 220 euros for i5-2520m, 8gb ram and 160gb ssd is a good deal where I live (I'm not gonna pay 50$+ for shipping). Still have to check it's condition though.

Where is the best place to buy new batteries for the X220?

Thoughts on the t460p? Thinking of picking one up

I'm going to upgrade my T420 1366x768 screen to a 1600x900 one. Any suggestions? According to some googling the N140FGE-LA2 model was my best option.

Fucking this

Is buying an ultrabase for the X230T worth it?

You can swap the first gen X1 screen which has much better gamut and contrast, but requires a mod that cab be frustrating to perform
Check the Thinkwiki

a w520 keyboard for my w530. can't stand the chiclet desu

Is the Thinkpad 13 the new thing?
>easily replaceable ram, ssd, keyboard, battery

Is the X220 with i5-2520M capable of playing >50mbps VC-1 videos?

If a x220 is missing the leds i can fix it right?

Just wonna ask is x230 good ? For now i will use it for programming and basic old gayms /also gonna use lonix OS / X -- d

Thanks Prajeet, your continued support has been noted. 100 INR has been deposited into your account.

Which model should I buy (Thinkpad series) if I want:

>1920x1080 screen
>built-in SSD (or a thinkpad I could easily get a SSD in)
>Trackpoint
>Comfy keyboard
>Can play games on ultra low settings (think cs:go, bannerlord)
>Long battery life (9 cell or more?)

Of course I'll buy it second hand, and my budget is ~700 euros (750 euros is my max).
Is it possible? Does anyone have any suggestions? If it really is a problem, I can up my budget, but I hope you have some suggestions for 750 max.

Any help is much appreciated, I'm not particularly tech-savvy like most of you Sup Forumsentoomen, so buying a shitty laptop and changing the screen etc. isn't an option.

Thank you.

T520.

>can be upgraded to decent 1080p display (still TN, but it's a good TN)
>supports mSATA SSDs so you can have SSD+HDD like a desktop
>has trackpoint
>has good keyboard (x30 series is where the keyboard started going to shit)
>long battery life if you get a superior larger battery

cs:go and bannerlord might be a stretch though. Might have to step up to the T530/540 which are far more expensive and less common for that.

the fuck is wrong with your hands you mutant ass lookin nigga

BACKDOOR FOUND ON THINKPADS
thinkfags irredeemably, ultimately, assblastedly
B T F O
T
F
O

Macbook wins again

middle finger on right button, index on pointer, thumb on left button. sort of like naturally placing your hand on a desk

>budget is ~700 euros (750 euros is my max)
Look for a W series, W540 or W550s might be possible at that price point. Though if you go for a *40, make sure to factor in about 20 EUR to upgrade the trackpad to a usable one from the *50 series.
Yes, even if you don't intend to ever use the trackpad.

T420.
It's missing the hdd cover, but other than that it's in pretty good shape.
I'm going to use it as my AD/VM server so that I only have two full laptops and an odroid for my whole server setup

all of those express cards are shit, and you can't boot off of them anyways.
but the performance difference will be unnoticeable unless you push your cpu to 90%+ a lot.

>buy X201t
>Seller says it doesn't have a stylus
>Buy one for £8 on eBay
>X201t comes today
>Includes stylus

x260 i7, 1080p fhd, 8gb ddr4, 128gb ssd, non backlit keyboard
...4 more days...

Also posting it here:

user who bought a DP-hdmi adapter in /csg/ thread for his T430 - please post link.

I want to get one for my X230 and i'm aware that some of these are incompatible, so I want to get one that 100% works

Thinkpad stylus
I'm I might order an SSD and 8GB of RAM for it despite it being my tertiary, quaternary or quinary computer depending on how you look at it

a replacement power jak for my X230.
Still waiting for mSATA ssd so I can install both at once

Csgo uses a lot of resources to run at a decent framerate (because of shitty shaders and effects you're not allowed to turn off thanks valve)
The most powerful thinkpad that still uses comfy keyboard is the w520 I believe

could this be used to flash coreboot without a hardware flasher

>be part of student theatre thing
>second in command when it comes to administration
>own three laptops (one MBA 2013, x201 and x61)
>first in command asks to borrow my x201
>fine.jpg
>we are done with our production
>a month passes
>i write him on facebook that im going to need it back
>no answer
>write him again two weeks later
>he "forgot to answer"
>finally getting it back today

Missed my comfy-tier laptop. Never borrowing it to anyone else again.

Borrowing is being on the receiving end
Lending is being on the giving end

My bad. English isn't my first language

twitter.com/d_olex/status/737936305514893313

posting here instead of a new thread because I don't wanna draw a bunch of attention to it and get people shitposting

usually middle finger on nub and thumb is often scrolling but can easily move to left or right click

Its a common mistake ESL speakers make

>twitter.com/d_olex/status/737936305514893313
Oh, a T450. That's not a real Thinkpad.

>SmmExpl.efi
>.efi

Wow it's almost like UEFI was designed to be botnet from the beginning

hello Sup Forumsentoo men,
I have a t420s, the locking mechanism for keeping the chinkpad closed is broke, it still locks in place and all but it doesnt spring back as it should, what may have caused this and how do I fix? pls halp

What is the best way to cover up the Lenovo badge?

My old MacBook Pro that I sold so I can buy a slightly less old ThinkPad.

It affects older machines as well dumbass.

been thinking about getting one of these for vacations around the country. they obviously dont look pretty, but does something like a T420 run well? From my little research it's an older laptop and I was wondering if it stills holds up for daily use?

yes it holds perfectly for daily use I am using it for Uni

I have T60 with shitty resolution screen, it was a present. Can I change that shitty screen for higher resolution one?

How quiet are the speakers in the X220?

Like?
[citation needed]

I am not a huge fan of the x220 overall but the speakers are not a problem

Where can I get a Windows 7 Pro ISO?
The windows website says I need to contact the manufacturer

>mfw I will never own a x20 to complete my collection

can one of those usb fans be pointed towards my t410 to help moving the air ? It has some heat problems when docked. And none when undocked

I mean, would they have enough air flow ?

X220 i3 for 150 jewro with 120GB SSD an ok deal?

>9 cell for my X220 arrived
>charged it to 100% (it came with 68%)
>five hours of light use later it's at 50%

holy shit, this is the greatest thing that ever happened to my thinkpad

Should eBay sellers selling many ThinkPad using stock photos be trusted?

Personally I use it something like this.

Only if they are selling in bulk and have almost 100% rating with lots of reviews.

Doesnt really help my t420.

Got a T61 but I cannot find the battery for it. I tried amazon but they sent the wrong one. Anyone mind pointing me to the right battery?

>has some heat problems when docked
Same with mines. Couldn't they've made the power and eject button on the right or back side so not to block the fucking vents?

Which thinkpad models are 17"?
Would you recommend a specific one?