Issues with an IBM 8514

Hey Sup Forumseeks, recently I was given a lot of 80's-90s computers and in the pile this IBM 8514, which, on the outside looked in great shape, but when I tested it out, I noticed some issues.

Now, I know that you're not supposed to ask for tech support on Sup Forums but I was hoping this could be an exception on account of this being a pretty unique and cool piece of old-tech, and that most people on /wsr/ are idiots.

As you can see in pic related there is some strange purple discoloration on one half of the screen and horizontal streaks anywhere there is an area of high contrast. I highlighted the text in notepad to showcase that.

I'm hoping someone with a knack for CRT repair is lurking around, as I've not been able to Google anything useful.

Or if anyone knows a forum that would know why this is happening I'd love a link, thanks.

>CRT
Into the trash

>implying that CRTs aren't the best thing to play oldschool games on

shiggy diggy.doo

As with all old tech, it probably has blown caps. Open i t and show us guts

Tried degaussing it yet?

Looks a little more severe but it might do something.

Also, post pics of the rest of the haul.

I dont have a degaussing tool nor do i have a strong bar magnet so that would be a wee bit difficult.

I'd probably look into it first, wish I could give you more info.

IBM monitors seem to have the worst long-term reliability track in my experience, all my PS/2 monitors are dead or dying.

If it were any other electronic I would but I don't know anything about CRT repair and I don't want to kill myself by accidentally touching a capacitor, I don't know how to properly discharge them.

Here's the rest of the lot including some headphones from WWII.

Everything in the pic I got at least x2 of save for the Apple Monitor and the Apple IIe (The IIe works really well as far as I can tell, I don't have any 5.25 floppies to test it with but it boots up fine.)

Also, on the topic of degaussing, I've never seen magnet damage that causes streaks like that, so I'm hesitant to think that's the cause.

The issue is, it's 30+ year old garbage

>why does everything streak on this monitor
It's 30+ year old garbage

>in the pile
of garbage

>exception on account of this being unique piece of old tech
This is every special snowflake old hardware faggot summed up perfectly.
>It's old, I'm different cause you can't get this in a store anymore!

Alternative - join our old tech circlejerks and make up a story about how "back then", etc, and it got the purple coloration "in the war" or some shit like that. Kids today and their working LCDs. Also will be fun to try to out-old the other psuedo old people as you passive aggressively try to say yours is better because it's shittier and fucked up in a unique way

Ok cool but what's wrong with wanting to play old games on original hardware.

Well tell us about your timetravel experiences, John Titor.

I'd say "everything", but let's use the convenient one that OP posted - THE MONITOR IS DEAD. YOU FOUND THIS IN A GARBAGE PILE BECAUSE SOME BUSINESS
THREW
IT
OUT

Ahuh.. what's the harm in restoring old things that people have nostalgic value for? not to mention it being an interesting hobby.

I have had similar issues on LCD screens.
The issue is not the monitor, but most likely the VGA cable. Try unbending it and dicking around with it and see if the streaks move.

Try a different cable.

>Try a different cable.

I would've but on these old things the cables are permanently attached.

Like I said, try bending it, pulling it, etc. and see if the streaks move. This will confirm whether it's the cable that stinks or not.

Also, make sure you've screwed on the VGA cable correctly to your GPU.

Confirmed both of these, wiggling has no effect.

Are you using a DVI>VGA adapter?

Nope, but I'm also not plugging it into my GPU, rather into my motherboard because my GPU doesn't have VGA ports.

Using a DVI>VGA adapter doesn't work at all, the computer doesn't recognize the monitor.

Its just worn out you wont be able to fix it. I've seen that purple tint with streaking on CRTs that were left on for years at a time.

These are yet another warning sign that you should give up, as you're working with garbage.

its a nice monitor, streaking may be to bad caps, just be careful not to go near the high voltage, look up how to discharge a crt before taking the board out
the bad colors looks like it needs a degauss, check the degaussing circuitry if it hasnt got a button for it, it will be connected to the coil of wire wrapped around the front of the tube.

a metal detector coil works as a good degausser too

This is most certainly not true, you can open up a CRT instantly and begin working on it right away. Try it, OP.

Hold on I'm about to touch my microwave's capacitors first.

hit off this ip for me please

Replace all the capacitors.

>WGS 9590 with DDS tape option
That's fucking beautiful, keep it close. Does it have the side panel?

It does but I think it was damaged somehow, it keeps falling off and actually sliced my toe open while moving it.

That sucks, hope you can find a way to secure it.

I've wanted a 9150(*) forever, they're neat as fuck, have no power mac equivalent and are the only five-slot NuBus PPC boxes ever made. The only thing that would make it more perfect is A/UX compatibility.

It actually has a tape still in it, no clue what's on it as I've yet to hook it up to any monitor.

Looks like extreme magnetization issue but I bet it's something more.

>Wasting perfectly good display equipment on gaming.

Streaks are very liable to be components gone bad inside the monitor itself, seeing as fiddling with the cable had no affect.

I can't say I'm terribly well learned on older computer monitors as such, but it should have some sort of degauss cycle at start up, so if that doesn't have any effect, my next guess would be that it got jarred pretty suddenly at some point and the yoke has moved, and as such throwing off purity.

Opening it up and adjusting it wouldn't be impossible, but you should definitely look up some basic CRT safety before doing so; The flyback and anode on these things have one hell of a bite.

LGR plz

Slap some stickers and some random Japanese on it, sell it as a "vaporwave" monitor.

>ITT: Sup Forums doesn't understand retrocomputing.

My money on at least part of the problem is the tube badly needs to be degaussed. Start there.

The streaking may be caused either byt one of three things. Signal shielding somewhere has been compromised, there's a cap in the sync circuit that's out of value or the tube itself has seen so many hours the cutoff is really, really bad.

Oh yeah. Don't touch ANY of the color settings until you've attempted a degauss.

These old IBM monitors were never very nice to begin with. But if you really want to fuck with it be sure to discharge the flyback by shorting the high voltage anode to the tube with a well insulated screw driver.