I tried cinnamon, and I'm thinking about trying mate now. What are your experiences with it...

I tried cinnamon, and I'm thinking about trying mate now. What are your experiences with it? What is your favourite mint desktop?

i liked gnome the best. the only bad thing is the crapware built into the shell. you have to be leet to uninstall it without breaking the desktop.

Cinnamon is pointless with mate soon becoming GTK3 based.

>GTK3
When is that happening?

Use Debian with a light windows manager such as openbox

Can I know why? I'm more or less new to linux I'm not sure I'm ready yet

Literally never

Less bloat and less resource intensive.
If you need a system that just werks and you need it fast stick to Ubuntu or mint. If you've got time to learn then try debian.

>with mate soon becoming GTK3 based
I've never understood the reasoning of this. Wasn't the point of MATE to offer a stable alternative to GTK3's shit-breaking update nonsense in the first place?

Am I doin it rite

Ubuntu Mate will release it with 16.10

Maybe they will used patched versions like Ubuntu does in unity

Mate is a clunky obsolete version of Cinnamon with barely any development. Cinnamon is miles ahead and will only go further.

Debian stable here.
Cinnamon is the best for Windows users like myself.

Mate is going to drop like 100 features if they want to be 100% gtk3 starting by the panels and applets. The same with xfce.

what panel is that ?

Used it, came back to cinnamon.

tint2

Best distro for shitty laptop?

Considering going back to Debian, I've come across multiple bugs in Mint that together annoy the hell out of me.

Depends on how shitty
See for example

slightly better than that, bigger ram (4 gigs)
its a hp pavillon dv5

kde mint on separate partition, cinnamon mint on vm

xubuntu

Installing it tommorow famalamadingdong

Ubuntu MATE

what bugs?

Are the Mint devs taking security seriously now? Or are they still chalking up the criticisms to mean people being mean?

What makes you think Gtk3 can't do panels? Cinnamon uses them...

Using cinnamon. Tried mate once for about am hour, hated it like hell

>Are the Mint devs taking security seriously now?
No. They still delay updates.

I always preferred Xfce. Lately I've started using WMs instead. Fluxbox in particular. It looks and behaves like utter shit upon install, but this is intentional. The point is to use it, to build the exact desktop you want. It's designed to make doing so easy. Literally every tiny detail about it can be changed to suit you, and it's done by editing simple text files. If you don't mind a little reading, and some effort, it's great.

If you want it to just work out of the box, Xfce. Albeit, Xfce is highly customizable too. It just happens to look pretty nice out of the box on Mint and Manjaro.

Debian, Openbox and xfce4-panel mustard race eggsdee. No but this is really worth it once set up which takes forever from a netinstall which is the only downside

Cinnamon is the best. Everything else is downhill. Even Mate is worse.

Mint is trash m8
Hahaha
no

>Mate is a clunky obsolete version of Cinnamon
No. Gnome2 was never based on mint trash.

Arch linux with i3.

Shut up, winshill.

I only use DEs that can do the vertical taskbar properly, which Windows can since Windows 7.
Last time I checked, Cinnamon can't, and only Unity, XFCE and KDE can.

My point is that they are very similar but Cinnamon is more polished and better designed for future advancement than Mate.

how's Elementary OS?

>MATE
>Future advancement
Are you a retard?

The eOS is dark and full of terrors.

I used Cinnamon for a while and ended up hating it like hell. But I suppose it's because I'm old and hate change; mate lets me relive the glory days of yesteryear / 10 years ago. Comfy af.

>I didn't read the thread but this post triggered me

>I didn't read the post but this thread triggered me
>Also I fuck dogs

Get that disgusting image out of this thread, microcuck.

*** NICE SHILLPOST WOULD REPORT AGAIN 10/10 ***

I came to and settled on Cinnamon as a DE after almost everything mentioned in this thread. The non-tiling WM/DE I enjoyed the most before Cinnamon was Openbox. So I think our preferences might be quite different, OP.

I have plans to get 3x 1440p monitors soon (up from one 1080x1290 and two 1280x1024). With that much extra screen real estate I might try i3 again or even give something wonky like subtle a shot. Basically Cinnamon is the perfect traditional DE for me, but I might switch teams back to tiling-land.

I switched to fedora with cinnamon while I'm waiting for mint 18 to be released

literal shit.

holy fucking swap space

Cinnamon is configurable, has nice themes, and just works.

This is the correct answer. It's just the right level between babby and ricelord.

my wife likes it.

>wife
>my

>not archbang
dropped

You could use BunsenLabs instead since it's essentially the same as #! but with newer packages. Or #!++ for exactly the same as #! but with newer Debian base.

Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 with XFCE

She's not particularly computer savvy, so she likes the simplicity of elementary.