/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg04072.html
smarinov.com/weblog/sudoedit-not-working/
gnu.org/software/software.html)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Arch/KDE masterrace reporting in.

It appears red hat cucks are quite busy these days. Now that prajeets have infested red hat we get just as much shilling as windows 10

Me odiaba mi primo
Por celos a mi carrera.
Lo arrestaron y dijo
Que terrorista yo era.

Guantanamero, soy preso guantanamero.
Guantanamero, soy preso guantanamero.

Ha decidido el imperio
Tenerme por siempre preso
Y la cuestiĆ³n es hacerlo
Con o sin falso proceso.

Cuando me hieren el cuerpo,
Dicen que no me torturan.
Causan heridas profundas
De esas que nunca se curan.

No me permiten que duerma:
Mi fin no es un misterio.
Voy a salir cuando muera
O caiga el gran imperio.

>Arch/KDE
Threadly reminder that there's nothing "masterrace" about your setup.

Spotted the mentally fragile gnome cuck

Lmao

>true white Swedish master race
>white Swedish

That's an oxymoron, like thin American or well-bathed Frenchman

Desktop threads are banned now so poor little archnigger doesn't know where to circlejerk?
After all it's everything his distro is useful for

Butthurt much? You can stop crying

Why should I use a server OS when it doesn't have any games?

sudoedit: i3blocks.conf: editing files in a writable directory is not permitted

How do I fix that?

wew lad trip filter doing its work

Please keep anime in Sup Forums where it belongs

>he doesn't know Sup Forums stands for Sup Forumsuro

Go back.

Not anymore

>So advanced it can't even play video games
lol

I will if you help me with my problem.

mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg04072.html

My Wifi drivers are working, it's able to detect access points like it should, but I cannot connect to anything. Any suggestions?

(you)

>muh manchild gaymes
>advanced
Fuck off back to your daycare board where you hang out with your fellow leeches of the society you worthless lump of shit.

Let me get this straight you feel empowered because your OS features a fucking thumbnail viewer? Are you a graphic designer? Is that relevant really? I'm a nooblord here, but i'm fairly certain I would be more concerned with other things than ascetics, you know like how my operating system is operating?

dumb tripfag

just stop answering this faggot, he will just go away.

I'm a girl user

now read about double licensing of qt licenses.

>Being a vapid trip shit
Get the fuck out fucking manbabby

fuck off

Tldr?

You're dumb

quick google serach returns:
smarinov.com/weblog/sudoedit-not-working/

When you don't like the majority of the posters it usually means you are in the wrong thread

oh noes, muh feelings, they be mortally wounded, how ever shall I go on

GNOME's disagree with RMS

>pointless shitflinging brings anything of value to this thread
Sup Forums called they want you back

Use xfce then rice.
Xubuntu is the best distro

>Desktop threads are banned now
Since when and why? What did I miss?

yo did you not read
>Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
like i get i'm an ignorant piece of shit, but you don't have to rub it in my face so aggressively.

So for real, is a gui that shows thumbnails that important? Does anyone do everything via command line?

They started to tryhard and created 30 desktop threads / board. Then they got banhammerd.

You only hate me because I'm a girl

What distro/DE are you using?

What is the output of ifconfig | tail?

Do I need to revise my male privilege checklist?
If you are using Xubuntu try this:
1. Log off and sleep
2. Log back in
3. Enjoy no mouse cursor

>I'm 2 retarded 2 computer
>Computer bad

>Desktop threads are banned now
I haven't been on since September, when did this happen?

gnome devs had a vote to decide whether they should represent the GNU operating system.

FSF as a "minimal efforts" from GNU-derived projects requires "avoiding representing proprietary software as legitimate".

Guessing from the fact that GNOME STILL is part of the GNU project (gnu.org/software/software.html) I'd say this vote didn't go to well.

So? How's your "best distro" going? Did it forget to show your mouse cursor? lmao

I'm using Debain, no DE. However I'll go into Xfce if I can't fix this issue.

A couple of weeks ago. Mods never commented on anything, they just started silently deleting desktop threads. As far as I know, none of their tripfags got banned, though. That would've killed the threads better than any amount of deleting them.

Good. Desktop threads were anime cancer.

>So for real, is a gui that shows thumbnails that important?
When you're trying to upload photos, yeah, it helps a lot. As an XFCE user, I have to admit it's one of my biggest gripes.

This is also stupid. Hitting ctrl+alt+f1, ctrl+alt+f7 isn't a big deal for me, but the fact it made it into a fucking release in this state is completely fucking ridiculous. Like, I literally don't understand how you could fuck that up.

That's actually great news. No more anime wallpapers perpetually on the front page.

I agree that they don't belong here, but not because of anime. See

Is writing code that would let you see thumbnails that difficult? Is there no happy medium distro that let's you do everything that seems good about XFCE AND this simple feature?

>Hitting ctrl+alt+f1, ctrl+alt+f7 isn't a big deal for me, but the fact it made it into a fucking release in this state is completely fucking ridiculous
And people call it "the best distro"
haha

Oh, yeah I've had nothing but a complete shit show of a time connecting to wifi without a DE.

Should I be using JACK or PULSE? I've always used pulse but someone JACK got pulled in as a dependency and took over automatically when I killed my PULSE daemon. Don't notice any sound improvements but it does fuck with my tray volume control in Cinnamon. What do?

DEBUNKED

It's not an anime site anymore you fucking idiots, Sup Forums is for variety of interests. Keep your shitty cartoons on your shitty board.

Does anime offend you. Like anime lolis?

Japanese website, primarily created to discuss anime, owned by a japanese. You cannot be this much retarded.
>Trip cuck
Oh wait

/fglt/, stop being faggots.
JUST
DONT

>It's not an anime site
It's not a television site either and never has been, yet you're not crusading against people who use Sup Forums screencaps like Just go fuck off. You're clearly just shitposting and you're not even good at it.

I don't even like anime but dis nig is right.

Girls can't be cucks user

I don't hate tv, just anime.

Post tits, cheap slut

No

>I don't hate tv, just anime.
Well, at least you admit that there is no logic behind your argument. Now fuck off, neckbeard. No one cares about your roleplaying.

>Girls can't be cucks user
They can

Yeah, my sudoers bricked when I did that.

Then gtfo. You know the rules.

There is no good anime user

No

You are not a girl until you post your saggy tits

Everyone in here right now discussing weaboo shit needs to off themselves or go to the appropriate containment board.

>Is writing code that would let you see thumbnails that difficult?
Apparently.

>Is there no happy medium distro that let's you do everything that seems good about XFCE AND this simple feature?
Distro? No, they'd have to change the code of XFCE itself. If you mean another DE, then no, not that I know of.

Guess who started it

No tits, no girl advantage. You are useless

>containment board
Tell that to everyone who mentions anything related to a career here, that shit belongs on /biz/.
Or tell it to everyone who asks a question here, that shit belongs on /adv/.
Anime discussion doesn't belong here, but that doesn't mean anime images don't belong here.

I will not flash my tits you disgusting perverted manchild.

When you bring up gender on Sup Forums.. What else can you possibly expect? And what does that even have to do, this is Sup Forums, not Sup Forums.

Excellent. Would you recommend XFCE for basically anything else? I'm too embarrassed about my OS and am looking for a good distro, hence joining the thread. I have Kali Linux r5 via vmware, but I think that's not ideal for day to day use.

That's cause you don't have any tits

I didn't even see those posts since I filter tripfags like any well-adjusted person should do by default

did what?
bricked how?

You know you want to

why not? it's still the exact same website. what's changed so drastically that the discussion boards have become containment boards?
drop trip you worthless child

>I have Kali Linux r5 via vmware, but I think that's not ideal for day to day use.
Oh yeah. Never, ever, ever use Kali as a daily driver, it's not intended for that and has awful security (made for offense, not defense).

>Would you recommend XFCE for basically anything else?
I like XFCE for what I do, but it really is a personal decision. Try out a bunch of live distros in a vm for a few days each, see which interface "feels" best for you. Unless you have specific requirements (e.g. low resource usage), they can all be customized to how you want anyway.

Misogynistic pig

Male here.

anyone can huname readable intruduce me into fifos? I'm using lemonbar as panel, packed with a bunch of scripts and therefore it updates pretty slowly. Now I've seen some people use fifos for this. What the tits is this shit.

Sue me

Jesus christ would you fucks please stop arguing with each other over fucking anime? Nobody gives a shit.

If you don't like anime, scroll past the fucking anime and move on. If you don't like tripfags, filter the fucking tripfags and move on.

Same thing goes for attention whoring and misogyny. Nobody is convincing anyone, so please just shut the fuck up already.

Amen.

Well if it's possible, I'm willing to do it. A link to a guide will be very appreciated.

I'm following this alpha male.
Filtered.

ded thred

yourselves*

Hey guys, question for laptop owners

I was running tlp recalibrate on my Thinkpad while connected to AC power. It was draining the battery and then proceeded to start charging it past my 80% threshold to 100% for recalibration.

However, the power on my house went out for like 10 seconds while the second step was happening

This may sound like an autistic concern, but will this mess with the recalibration? Should I start the command again?

start it again yo

Ok. Fortunately it was only up to 10% so it shouldn't take long to do it again