What is the magic behind cable internet?

Lately my connection's been really unstable while wired. It's not the router since the modem lights clearly says it can't connect.

So I had a techie from the cable company come by and trouble shoot and check the internal net. On every outlet the signal was as it should be, but on the outlet my docsis modem is connected to he said the signal is a bit too high, higher than it should be that is, so he went out to the cable box in the street and tuned the strength down a bit and we agreed to leave it at that to try it a bit.

The connection is still unstable however. Apparently, during the summer when it gets hot, the cable contracts which causes higher resistance which might be my problem considering it's perfectly stable during winter and when it's chillier in general.

The house is old, not exactly sure when it was built but I think the cable network is over over 20 years old at the very least, and the cable is installed pretty weirdly. I suspect the previous owner has installed new outlets without an authorized technician, but I'm not sure about the history here.

At this point it feels like the entire house just need to be renovated and a new cable installed. There shouldn't be any interference around here so I'm at a complete loss why the net keeps falling out. Maybe I'll ask for a new modem

Fuck you

yeah yeah I know Sup Forums is not my personal help desk but come on, let's discuss docsis a bit

>when it gets hot, the cable contracts

Nice try

Huh, so it's false? That's what the techie told me

Yes, that's all false. The cable temperature is not your problem. No one here could help you, even if they did understand DOCSIS.

What's so annoying about this is that the customer service are incompetent and only serve to order a technician, and then the technician can't do much, and on top of that gives me misinformation probably because of his own incompetence

Sounds like your house needs a new drop and new cable pretty much everywhere. Keep bitching at your cable company until they fix it properly. You're a paying customer. The cable itself is dirt cheap, it's just a matter of getting a tech out there to actually do the work.

You're really not diagnosing anything. The issue may be caused by something not even on the premises. You did get one thing right, keep bitching at your telco, OP.

This, don't accept their excuses.
Keep bitching and have them replace things, if it isn't fixed have them replace more things.

Yeah that's what my conclusion is too, but it's not really the cable company's fault that the net is old.

They have a policy that the customer must pay for the installation of new cables (if a home is renovated etc etc even though the cable to the house is already installed before), which sucks. It can amount to anything from 700 US dollars to 1500 dollars, which I'm not really willing to invest in since I'm probably not gonna stay here for a long time.

They'll probably argue that, since the house is old, that they don't have control over what the previous tenant has done with the home net on beforehand and thus they're not responsible

It's probably not a fault in the area since they've told me that the neighbours look fine on when they check their modems

Dude you can run your own cable from the splitter if you really think thats it.

Chances are they are just bullshitting you though.

>It's probably not a fault in the area since they've told me that the neighbours look fine on when they check their modems
That means nothing.

Tech is stupid as fuck. You probably have a bunch of splitters in your house that is degrading your signal quality.

Have him run a new independent cable to the pull box outside. Problem solved.

I do see how the OP's internal cable setup is the ISP's problem
It's possible, I get massive latency spikes and drop outs on ADSL in kangaroo land when the temperatures change due to popping in the joints of my copper run

>It's possible
It's physically impossible.

The rubber contracting a bit shouldnt have any effect on the copper, and the copper actually expands with heat. Heat also increases electrical resistance so that´s the actual problem, not that it contracts when it does the opposite.

Yeah I guess, I think I'll try this option. I say fuck their policy on only having authorized technicians doing it. I understand why they have that policy though, so that they can take the responsibility if something goes wrong.

But I hate doing stuff like this because I'm so bad at renovation. I'll probably have to lay the cable in the walls and stuff so it looks nice which I have no experience with

Well yeah, but this shit is pretty consistent. It always happens around summer, it happened last year too but it went away after a month or two last year, now it's very sporadic and frequent which is annoying

Yeah that could be. A few years ago I lost both the TV and internet signal completely constantly so I called for a techie and he changed a splitter on the attic and the signal was stable for years until now (well last year too but I wasn't so irked about it and I assumed it was temporary).

But the weird thing is that the techie I had here a few days ago said he couldn't find any splitter on the attic, only an "extension cable".

Gah, I guess I have to get my hand around this and find out where the cable first comes into the house and look for splitters. There's 4 outlets I think, but I only need two

Okey, whatever happens to me is magic then
Magic is physically possible

Oh okay, maybe the techie just had a slip of tongue or I heard him wrong, he probably meant what you said

>Apparently, during the summer when it gets hot, the cable contracts which causes higher resistance

You were outright lied to so the guy could leave because he didn't know what was wrong.