How does one go about learning C?

How does one go about learning C?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8Y8T2uBc3hGWEkwWmw5QldNeXc
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BygJV4MP6jP8R2dnYUdoUmJRam8&usp=drive_web
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

carefully

Do your research, and just start. Make sure you can deal with failure and being hella confused at times.

Once you're over the hump, it's clear sailing.

Buy "C For Dummies" or something similar.

How does one walk into Morodor?

whats the best book?

D&R

With purpose in mind. Figure out what you want from it. I learned C from a compsec book in a Linux virtual machine environment. I'd use a VM regardless of purpose so you don't brick your PC dicking around with "low level on the metal" stuff.

>With purpose in mind

This is my problem, I am just not sure what I want from it, I want to learn about how computers work, but I need to learn something like C in order to do that, I just don't have any needs for a program that I could realistically create.
What basic projects did you start out with?

is it better to learn C or C# first?

Every fucking day with this thread. The fucking internet, like how we learn everything now in days. Just learn C for God's sake.

I learned C on a road trip while trying to find all solutions to that triangle peg puzzle they had at each table at cracker barrel. The only laptop in the van was an early 90's era laptop with no internet but it had a C compiler and a reference; it was like a sign from god for me to go ahead and learn that shit.

Really good project: come up with a really short text based "get out of the room" puzzle. just start with what comes to your mind and as you think of small incremental ways to make the game better you will learn a lot of features.

I learned most of my early shit by writing simulations of shitty games like battleship, poker, mazes. If you can think of a shitty game you know the rules to, try programming those into C.

>go to the bookstore to buy a C book
>only one on the 'get these' list is Head First C
>expensive as fuark
>get it anyway
>open book
>"Go learn Java first"
FUCK YOU

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8Y8T2uBc3hGWEkwWmw5QldNeXc
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BygJV4MP6jP8R2dnYUdoUmJRam8&usp=drive_web

I have these google drives bookmarked for some reason. You might find a few books on C programming inside.

learn C++ instead

and if you find it too hard, then just quit trying to learn because you will never amount to anything you worthless fuck

I learned C simply by finding stuff that kind of requires it. The simplest example is probably a Mandelbrot image generator. If you do that in a high level language, let's say Python, you'll quickly run into performance limitations. It's just no fun. With C on the other hand you can pretty quickly get close to what your PC can maximally handle. I think that's really where C (and programming in general, but that's just what I think) gets really fun. Really thinking about what your computer does and controlling that. Maybe you can save a multiplication here and there etc.

>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BygJV4MP6jP8R2dnYUdoUmJRam8&usp=drive_web
theres some good shit in those, thanks user

is this book good if I have bigish high level languages experience, coded a lot in cpp but just want to learn some tricks of C and get into the paradygm/libraries?

I mean I don't need to read about how for loops work or what a pointer and malloc is..

If you are a total beginner read C Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Perry

If you have a little previous programming experience, perhaps in something like Python or Visual Basic or C#, then read Programming in C by Kochan

If you know another language well, such as Java or C#, then read K&R

Are there any other decent EPUBs about? Not a massive fan of converting PDFs, as there can be issues with formatting when it comes to tables/images.

C++ and C are basically the same you can even run C code through g++ and it will compile just fine. You just lack access to all the hand holding oop elements

[segfaulting intensifies]

I know that mate I'm just not feeling confident with the language.

That's why I dont need syntax tutorial, I need basic concepts and methodology tutorial to get out of OOP scheme and get familiar with stuff not present in higher level languages that are present in C.

This is a nice collection!
Thank you for sharing.

You don't

it's 2016 and I don't get why someone can have difficulty in learning C.
it has only one abstraction, that is function.
it has only primitive types. statically typed.
the only, allegedly, hurdle is dynamic memory management and pointers which is no big deal at all if you carefully read one chapter.

also, C is not a platform. it has a tiny standard library which MS did not even bother to properly implement for years, and that library is totally useless in kernel programming.
nowadays, every PL comes with a huge library learning which is synonymous with learning that language. C is not like that.

C a modern approach by KN King.

this is actually really good advice. also, if I can add, having a purpose for learning it helps with your dedication. learning it for fun or a hobby, depending on what kind of person you are, could be infuriating