/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

linux-nis.org/
openldap.org/
lmgtfy.com/?q=Does Debian use systemd?
lmsptfy.com/?q=does debian use systemd
niceme.me
niceme.me/nicememe.mp3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like htop, but it often is infuriating as fuck to use.

Can any anons here recommend an htop-like tool for monitoring only selected processes? I don't need to see a billion Chrome and system processes if I only want information about my two running programs.

>inb4 htop has filters
I know, I still want to try other programs.

First for: Which RMS is the best RMS and why is it RMS?

your DE built in system monitor

htop piped to grep

>implying

>memeing

While updating my crap with the yum GUI, an incomprehensible error appeared. Ignore?

I have arch with xfce and am now looking into hardening/security

I have come across NIS
linux-nis.org/

another suggestion was ldap
openldap.org/

can /g advise and why?
Nis
Ldap

or something else 4noob

Hi,
I want to use a linux distro in my laptop (n5010 i5 w/ ati radeon sth.)
I want to use Gnome3 DE
I like that arch has AUR
I'm noob and Ubuntu is easy to use for noobs

Should I go for Arch?
Should I go for Ubuntu G?

Either way, do i have to do something extra after installing any of this distros.

I tried both btw but boot time was longer than win8.1 for both.

What should i do?

Sorry but these lines were triggering my autism.

>Slaps my non-free software

Throw M$ EULA where Windows is declared as a service and watch him scream and squirm as his face melts off from the horror.

Then I forcefully upgrade his PC to Windows 10 and install Google Chrome to exorcise his Free Software demons.

ignore, looks like your repo might just be lagging

Oh shit what are you doing.

Use Yum Extender DNF.

>using a gui yum front end on a dnf system
it's like you want your shit fucked up.

What about grsecurity kernel? It's quite a pain to set up, but it's real security.

Sorry to disturb your peace, I'll fix the image before making a thread next time.

literally

sudo dnf update --refresh -y

put it on a weekly cron

I DON'T LIKE THE VERTICAL LINES

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

that may be beyond noobscope

>like GNOME 3, but it requires gnome-tweak-tool to do anything more than simple setting modification
>requires non-optional bluetooth libraries
>heavily depends on NetworkManager, which depends on other shit I don't need
>decide to try out KDE, since it's been a while

>as soon as I log in, it completely ignores my xorg.conf and KWin crashes
>slow as hell on a fast computer
>font rendering is *horrible*
>like Cinnamon and MATE, but neither plays nicely with Anthy/IBus

I'm all for ricing and stuff like that, but not at the expense of (too much) bloat and unnecessary but required dependencies.
What desktop environment do you guys use?

AUR is not a selling point.

Calm down, OP is already on suicide watch.

Yum is deprecated.

Update to Fedora 23. Seriously, avoid yum. It's dnf now.

mate xfce trinity enlightement, your own made from scratch

Thank you for not using an anime image.

>>font rendering is *horrible*

That has nothign to do with your desktop environment.

AUR is the only reason Arch still exists.

KDE Plasma works perfectly under Manjaro. I am really interested in Deepin and LXDE, testing them next. Most ricers use openbox or i3 for wm.

>grsecurity
Did you see what happened when someone tweeted about a bug in it? Just fucking go with OpenBSD if you care about security, Linux is shit with security, and grsecurity devs are fucking jokes. That, and you need to be a huge fucking corporation just to get the (stable) version of grsecurity that's not bugged to hell.

inb4 "filtered" and 200 posts about tripfagging

Tripcodes were a mistake. The guy who invented them is the god of all trolls.

I use XFCE, I can rice it pretty easily and it just werks.

he's on fc23, he's just using the wrong yumex

sudo dnf remove yumex && sudo dnf install yumex-dnf

>muh bloat
If they don't run why do your care? It's not like 200 additional packages existing on your hard drive slow your system down.

Apply yourself.

why not

Nice b8 m8

I've never used Trinity, but IIRC, isn't enlightenment just a GNOME Shell alternative?

I haven't had that issue in any other DE.

I'm using Arch.

I might just end up using XFCE.

Bad wording: AUR is the only excuse for using Arch.

It seems to require a lot more than other DEs, including GNOME 3.

the package manager is pretty good.

Oh god, hope I didn't break anything.
I'll use the dnf from now on.

>Implying creating pkgbuilds is rocket science
Take your shit posting elsewhere landwhale.

I'm the debianite that fucked up inmensely.

I tried running the Nvidia .run file. Everything seemed to go well. Told me I had to reboot in order to continue, or something, and so I did.

Then it loads the KDE splashcreen, but I can't move the mouse, type anything or switch to tt1, tt2, etc. I know it's not simply frozen because the "|" is blinking in the password field. A pop up says:

Your saved session type "kde-plasma" is not valid any more. Please select a new one, otherwise 'default' will be used.

And an OK button to click. But I can't move shit.

Any clues?

Remember to rice it with Moebuntu.

firejail

Meant to quote

How to spot a poser and idiot.

Fuck off

Is see, thread derailers in full force.

Yeah, somebody on twitter was a complete retard. But I think even the test version of grsecurity patchset can be used on the desktop just fine, if you need it.
I tried using it for a week or so. Got tired after having to jump through too many hoops to get Steam games working.

Has anyone managed to build Nomacs 3.2 on Arch? I'm getting an error during compilation. Could it be related to the GCC 6.0 version?

Weeaboos are always derailing. It's OK when they do it.

Aur is an excuse for the arch devs to be lazy and maintain less packages. Most of what you find on the AUR is available in official repos of other distros. It's insecure by nature and unless you are reading every pkgbuild and editing them as needed should not be used at all. Most arch users just blindly install everything.

Not yet.

We're still missing the "rms is a shit eating paedophile and gpl hurts my feefees" guy

Gimme a minute, I'll try it.

see >the package manager is pretty good.

Did you set the nvidia kernel modules to be loaded at boot, or does the .run script do that?

How about the graphics card circle jerk?

Try doing the same thing through dnf and post results.

Or you can pay the devs so they can quit their day jobs and devote more time to maintaining packages? Quit acting like an entitled cunt.

>Most of what you find on the AUR is available in official repos of other distros.
Between the core, extra, community, and multilib repos, it has a pretty good selection.
> It's insecure by nature and unless you are reading every pkgbuild and editing them as needed should not be used at all. Most arch users just blindly install everything.
Do...do you mean to say that you actually need to pay attention, good forbid when you install things?

Nope, got errors during build.

I was listening to Lucky Star OP when I saw your post.

Guys, I currently have a broken Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 install that won't boot no matter what I do. I cannot boot in GUI or in The only way to get a terminal is through recovery mode or chroot, but I didn't manage to get X and systemd to work again.

What happen is: as soon as the system tries to boot into Ubuntu, the screen goes all black and starts flickering from time to time. I cannot change tty (I can by spamming alt + f3 but it gets back to the black screen after a few seconds). Booting with nvidia drivers disabled doesn't work. The system does nothing from there and the only way out is rebooting. I tried reinstalling both Xorg and systemd, no success. I've ran fsck. I accidentally replaced the upstart boot option in grub with systemd while trying to fix it.

If someone can help, I would appreciate.

>Being a weeaboo
Fag

Why would I do that? I don't use arch.

>Aur is an excuse for the arch devs to be lazy and maintain less packages.
Hardly.
AUR is a solution to the problem of running unstable/customized/patched software and stuff so obscure "noone wants to take care of"

Other distros face the same problem as well but Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE have the infrastructure to solve this problem properly which is an automated buildsystem.
So Ubuntu has PPA's, Fedora has COPRs and opensuse has Open Build Service.

But that's because all of them are backed by a company which makes actual money.

Arch (similar to Debian) is a community run distro and they can't afford to dedicate, run and maintain a machine powerful enough to work as a buildsystem for thousands of people and another one to host them all.

You're a good movie.

In recovery mode, run journalctl and look for anything interesting.

To the arch circlejerkers
AUR is litterly github download scripts.

>Being a fellow tripfag
bro tier.

sudo dnf update --refresh -y
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

Did you expect a kek?

the script does it

I've never had it ask me to reboot, but maybe you are using a legacy version of the installer

regardless, it sounds like x is loading so you've made progress

you could try running with nomodeset in your grub kernel command line

So it worked then?

Oh geez what a surprise

Does Debian use systemd?

What do you reckon causes the error? I'm kind of eagre to try 3.2, but it's been out of date in the repos for a long time.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Does Debian use systemd?

yes

In all honesty, no idea.

After seeing that I booted on recovery mode, logged as root and tried to install the .run again. With the following results.

Installer asks if I want DKMS. I say yes, but it returns an error.
>Error: Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64(x86_64)

After that I retry without DKMS, so it advances until a point when it says that the I'm "compiling the Nvidia kernel module with a different compiler than the one that was used to compile the running kernel".

"The compiler used to compile the kernel was gcc 4.8: the current compiler is gcc 5.3"
Options are:
Ignore CC version check
Abort installation.
I aborted

What the fuck do I do? I'm too young to an hero.

lmsptfy.com/?q=does debian use systemd

I'm not the one with the problem, a simple yes or no would suffice.

According to that other user, it does.
In recovery mode, try journalctl --since today

I guess.

Then you should be good. Just don't use yum in the future.

"No journal files were found."

I dunno. It's a bit beyond my C++ skills to fix such errors. This is the error I got:
/home/user/GIT/clone/nomacs/ImageLounge/src/DkGui/DkPong.cpp:658:19: error: call of overloaded ‘abs(double&)’ is ambiguous
angle = abs(angle);
Doesn't look too complicated to solve, if that's the only error.

But I tried compiling master branch and it compiled successfully. Why won't you go with that?

...what? Dumb question, but is the recovery mode installed on a separate partition? post output of lsblk.

ignore the cc version check

you may have to pass it as a flag to the install script unless there's an option during the install (like --no-check or something similar)

As soon as someone mentions Arch all of these circlejerking namefags come out of the woodwork to stroke each other's over inflated ego about their hipster choice in a hobbyist OS while derailing the thread with their bullshit. This is proof that Sup Forums is fucking dead. I bet you fags think you're all so cool because you figured out how to hack Sup Forums and change your names.

Do you think getting assblasted about it solves anything? Try rerailing the conversation.

Instal gentoo

niceme.me

>friendly gnu/linux thread
>lelelelolololo use google faggot
>ps enjoy your botnet :^)
kill
you're
selve

I fixed it.

It throws two errors about abs function call. Just change all abs on those two lines to fabs and 3.2.0 will compile.

>friendly gnu/linux thread
>kys
pls no bully :c

did someone say arch?

My new "You got mail".
niceme.me/nicememe.mp3
Thanks.

No, it is not.

SDA 8:0 0 111.8G 0 disk
sda1 8:1 0 110.7G 0 part /
sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
sda5 8:5 0 92M 0 part [SWAP]

Im attempting to use a puppy live usb to rename some files in windows but it keeps saying it cannot be moved.

Im trying to change a password on windows 10 and im truing to change sethc to cmd and cmd to cmd0.

>According to that other user, it does.
Could you put this sentence in context?

So I just ignore it and continue the install? De we all agree on that?

How to set mouse speed more than 1.00 in Gnome 3.20? When I was at 3.16, I used to set the mouse acceleration value by dconf editor, but now all is different. Also, I can't control mouse speed by using xset.