Be software developer

>be software developer
>have always used macs
>today I had to use a windows laptop
>guy I borrowed it from said to use Putty, because "it's just like the osx terminal"

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT

How the fuck do other developers work on Windows ?

Other urls found in this thread:

git-for-windows.github.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In actual development environments.

>Putty
I can't even

WHERES MY FUCKING HOMEBREW

lrn2powershell, you fugging bleb

No, I know, it's terrible. I have to use Windows at work. It takes even something simple, like a redis cluster, and makes it Enterprise.

PREPARE FOR THE ENTERPRISE
WINDOWS 10 WILL R I S E

If the work you need to do is completely within Visual Studio's areas of competency, it works well enough. Anything else, and you're in for a very, very bad time.

Learn how to use a mouse, you cli dickhead.

>>>guy I borrowed it from said to use Putty, because "it's just like the osx terminal"

if you're sshing into something its exactly the same

if you want to use a bash *nix like environment, i guess try cygwin, otherwise learn some basic windows batch scripting and wish for the best or powershell if you're stuck on windows for awhile

>2016
>still recommending Cygwin

its still in beta and missing features tho

putty is ssh.. its not local terminal.
cmd/command prompt and power shell are windows terminal, but its basically dos.. might just be on par with unix terminal without linux but I think even unix's terminal might be a bit more useful.

Windows is such garbage I've returned to using it after 6 years of mac master race and I'm amazed at how much worse everything runs. Even on a hackintosh everything ran better then it does in Win7 it's EMBARASSING

Is this their plan to stop the year of the Linux desktop?

If you don't use VS like a good Pajeet then Windows is useless.
>inb4 muh vydia
Grow up manchildren.
>inb4 muh obscure Windows only software
Even the poorfag can afford VT-x enabled CPUs

>running a compatibility layer just to have git
That's why windows sucks. It's just like if Microsoft bundled cygwin or something with windows.

Yup. My memepad t410 is VT-x enabled and it cost me £75. Not entirely sure what VT-x is or how (or why) I would use it, but still.

Yeah, it's pretty fucking horrible and I personally know nobody who develops software that has a different opinion. The only reason to use Windows as a developer is in case you want to develop for Windows.

>The only reason to use Windows as a developer is in case you want to develop for Windows.

That's literally the exact same as saying

"The only reason they aren't running Windows is because they're web devs".

It's hardware enabled virtualization meaning you can run a VM at 95% speed compared to bare metal.

They use the mouse.

git-for-windows.github.io/

I just use their git bash for everything command line. Lets me use most Linux commands. Can even run shell scripts.