/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YxcYgQejqnc
youtube.com/watch?v=hngZxIrPVko
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gonna get this for christmas maybe

Good luck. It's a nice homage, red Also looks nice

Starting to like the black. Checked out the red at a store window, did not have time to go in and I was slightly drunk.

why does everyone hate the matte case on the 090?

i would think it would be better, less of a fingerprint magnet and less prone to show scratches.

You learn to stop putting your fingers all over your watch pretty quick. Regardless of finish, you still don't want crap from your fingers on the crystal or anything.

As far as showing scratches, probably depends on the exact finish and the nature of the scratches.

that can't be the only reason? people were talking about it as if it was finished improperly or in some way defective.

i tried googling about it and couldnt find anything

/r/ing the picture of the war general or terrorist wearing a casio a158w, reasonably sure it was an african guy. used to be posted on /wt/ all the time.

The finish is very basic and kind of crudely done. I personally feel like the matte nature of the case and shininess of bezel clashes very badly. Yeah it's good at hiding fingerprints and smudges. Scratches will be much worse though because you'll create shiny spots that you can't polish out, you'd have to re-blast it.

thank you

Tfw waiting for the single watch part i need to finish restoring an old omega

I am waiting for my tools so i can begin learning to fix and service my watches

This is probably going to be ridiculed but whatever.

A lot of people are attached to the Submariner because they are huge fans of James Bond films and it's probably the quintessential "Bond watch". I grew up watching the Jason Bourne films, and because of that I have a illogical desire for the Bourne watch: Tag Huehue Link chronograph quartz. I was

Unfortunately they "updated" their line years ago and now it's not in the same style. Even if it was I'm unwilling to drop the that amount of money on a quartz from a company as shitty as TAG.

Long shot here but is there a watch that is similar to this one (Overall design, Chrono, Tachymeter inside of the watch, Rotating Bezel on the outside, Date, water resist, quartz [to keep costs on a chrono down] etc)? Trying to keep this somewhat cheap, like under 500$ or so, would be willing to go a bit higher depending on how good/similar the piece is.

Better picture.

Like I said above this is a long standing illogical desire of mine, don't bother suggesting a piece with different styling that suits the same purpose, the whole purpose is to be as close to that one as possible.

Just get the Tag Link from Chrono24. No one in real life will ever tell you how "shitty" your watch is. Its autistic forum talk, people like that dont exist.

I'm unwilling to drop over a grand on a quartz watch at this time.

Not that user but the problem is the styling.
They exist for under $500 but that 'style' always goes for alot more than the cheaper styles.
Have you tried a reverse image search and seen if anything similar comes up?
Also try crawling on ebay. You may find a second hand one in the old style you like

So wouldn't it be better to avoid this disgusting Tag styling and basically get a Speedy clone?

Along the lines of the Citizen AN8070-53E

I bought a old sub because of James Bond. You won't get any judgement from me about liking a hueur styled Bond watch

>Specifically and deliberately explain that this styling is exactly what I'm looking for, even outright stating: "don't bother suggesting a piece with different styling that suits the same purpose"
>Suggests a piece with different styling that suits the same purpose.

Do you see the disgusting out of place numerals, which are also terribly cut off?

This is probably about as un-Bond like as it gets. A vintage Sub, an Omega Milsub, a vintage Heuer or a Pulsar red led digital are the only ways to go and not this steaming hunk-o-junk.

What is the best dress/casual watch for around £500? I want to wear it for work with a shirt & tie but also be able to wear it in more casual settings if I want.

I have an SKX to wear with jeans etc so it doesn't have to be as casual as that but also not an actual 'dress watch' per se.

SARB033/035 or SARX015.

Did you read beyond the first sentence? He doesn't want a Bond watch, he wants a Bourne watch.

Where are exactly are you pulling this idea that I am looking for a Bond watch? Please re-read the post .

meanwhile, what he actually wears.

It seems the coffee still hasn't begun affecting me.

You should be able to get a basic Hamilton Jazzmaster from a grey market dealer for around that price, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Seiko SARX027, Orient Star Classic those are just a handful of options. Some of those aren't super dressy but enough so that they'd work with a suit but also not look out of place with a t-shirt.

Eh whatever second bond was supposed to be bourne but my phone changed it.

Thanks that gives me a few to look at, I think the CW C5 Malvern Slimline is better than the standard one as it has steel with white dial. I'm also considering the CW C65 Trident Classic mk2.

Is this watch awesomely retro in a tacky 70's style or just ugly as shit?

Why don't you tell us

victorinox maverick gs chronograph ~325$

Hey Sup Forums I'm looking to buy a Casio databank, preferably one from the 80's made in Japan but it looks to be kinda rare. there are others on ebay but it says there made in Thailand. Do Casio make their watches/data banks in Thailand or could it be fakes?

Cheers.

I think it's borderline. I was hoping for some opinions.

I think it would look cool with a plain white t-shirt and shit with pretty much anything else.

what's /wt/'s opinion on velcro straps? it circumvents the problem of being between holes on a strap and having to settle for too big or too tight

autistic child tier or fine?

am i do good? can't find reviews

gay as fuck

dogshit

WHY DO MECHANICAL FAGGOTS LIE SO MUCH ON THE INTERNET???

THEY KEEP REPEATING THE LIE THAT A MECHANICAL WILL LAST LONGER THAN A QUARTZ WHEN IT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!

THEY KEEP REPEATING THE LIE THAT QUARTZ WATCHES CAN'T BE REPAIRED WHICH IS THE BIGGEST LIE IN THE HISTORY OF WATCH MAKING

STILL YOU FAGGOTS KEEP SUPPORTING THIS LYING FAGGOT INDUSTRY!!!!!

YOU'RE ALL BEING TAKEN FOR A FUCKING RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUTUBE IS FULL OF PEOPLE REPAIRING QUARTZ WATCHES FROM COMPONENT LEVEL JUST LIKE MECHANICALS!!!!!

youtu.be/YxcYgQejqnc

youtube.com/watch?v=hngZxIrPVko

Destroy that strawman, brah. That'll teach them.

but it has a cool shark on it :(

nice :3
what movt you starting with and what tools?

They make them outside Japan now

Uh oh

>I grew up watching the Jason Bourne films
Underage pls go.

I do tha all the time and people hate me. I keep doing it anyway.

Fuck people with shit taste and people like you who talk behind the back.

bourne films
>2002, 2004, 2007
if you grew up with bourne you've gotta be atleast 20 senpai

Anyone pick up some

Chinese shit.
Is that your girlfriend? Would explain the preference for quartz.

>Is that your girlfriend?

No, the girl is you and the hand belongs to the Swiss who are fucking you.

user, I'm thinking of getting a Glycine, what do you think?

>Swiss
Nice try, I don't have any swiss meme watch, only superior Japanese watches folded 1000 times.

Is this English?

Last time they told me Glycine it's an unknown brand with no identity and a generic looking watches.
I don't know, I think some have a good design.

Probably one of the best entry level swiss brands but I'm no expert.

there was picture that used to be posted on here and the /fa/ watch thread all the time, it was some sort of high ranking soldier or terrorist (i can't remember which) wearing a casio a158. pretty sure he was some african guy but can't be 100% sure. does anyone have this picture or remember who it was?

the only respected brands on Sup Forums are Seiko and Vostok

what can you expect from a bunch of starving neets

>Orient Mako, I should start wearing it again
>Tissot SS dress watch, it's nice and understated, but now 15 years old and needs a service
>Suunto HRM, battery life is crap but it does what it advertised to
>Buyers remorse Hublot, nfi why I got it
>Traser Titanium tritium gas tube watch, but they're past half life so quite dim, watch and movement have been beat to shit and repaired numerous times, was my favorite but it is unreliable now
>Edifice (casio) watch, liked it at first but think it's way too busy now, but I've just been wearing the edifice day to day since the traser broke (again)

What does /wt/ think of the day-date version of the SARB033? I am sort of attracted to it because of the larger, more contemporary size (41mm)

it's ok if you're poor

>The 52 Caliber meme really is starting

As for the watch, I actually looked at that exact same one. It IS funky and unusual, I didn't buy it because it doesn't go with any of my business casual stuff, so I got a blue dial 5216 instead.

This makes me fwel kind of old. Fuck.

>only owns single watch with band folded 1000 times like Katana
>doesn't own a Japanese watch with a mirrion rittre sorid rinks

Shamefurr dispray

How do I use Yahoo acutions to buy a 52xx? eBay has no choice. Will the nips sell watches to a baka gaijin?

>doesn't own two Japanese watches that are forded 1000 times rike katana

>Be on Facebook
>Girl who was childhood friend sends me a friend request out of the blue
>Haven't seen her for almost a decade
>She's now a strong 9/10
>Start talking for a few hours, catching up and everything is going great
>Meet for a coffee to catch up face to face
>She'sAmazing.jpg
>Begin to really like her
>She admits she used to like me and still likes me
>Thinks am cute and funny
>Never been happier
>One problem arises though...
>She wears something similar to pic related
>Triggered
What do I do /wt/? Do I follow through with the relationship? She's fucking amazing but I dono what to do about her dogshit watch. Is there still a chance to convert her to a good taste in watches? She knows am into watches but she only knows about mall watch dog shit. Why would god do such a cruel act upon me. If there's ever been a time I needed /wt/, nows the time dammit.

The obvious choice is to kill yourself.

An hero is always an option user.

You can always buy her a nice watch once you're going out

Yep, a Komandirskie and a Seiko 5. The Seiko was good value at only £9. It came on a bracelet with almost all the gold plating missing near the clasp, it's now on a blue perlon.

kek

give her a watch she'd like thats obviously expensive (lady datejust or omega or some brand she might recognize)
the chance she'll like/wear the obscure mid tier mechanicals you also like is nihil

naw fuck that - 3$ Daniel Wellington fake from aliexpress

she'll love it.

You're lucky she even wears a watch. Rare find in 2016!

I too enjoy stories that never happened.
>pic related

>2016
>not buying your emotional relationships
lmao cucke

What's /wt/'s opinion on this new Neptune colourway?

This :^)

Probably will have to do this. Either this or show her what great watches are out there apart from mall dogshit.
Any suggestions? Or should I just do what recommended?

As much as I wish I can do this, her parents are pretty minted with money, she'll probably figure out it's some cheap shit.

As much as this is true and am happy she wears a watch, I just wish it wasn't such a terrible one.

>What?! You have found a girl you like and who likes you back?! This has never happened to me so this must be fake.
Pic related is you pleb friend ;^)

Sexy
But still useless slavshit for the people who buy AKs

New Neptunes, my fellow a/wt/ists...

just get the rolex/omega/brand she knows. most vintage/secondhand ladies watches arent that expensive anyway.
especially if her parents are loaded, turn the tables and golddig her right back :^)

Good if you spend a lot of time near water.

They dry quickly and will pop off if it gets snagged on any equipment or something, which is a good thing in boating or diving.

Still blogging?

>mfw no green one yet

Why does Dimitry do this to us?

>no green
fuck everything

Assuming you're somewhat socially competent: get her interested in watches by talking about the hobby when opportunity arises and then gift her some semi-decent vintage for birthday/anniversary/christmas or w/e.

I hate to fall for the Jews but if it's the last option, I may just have to. I'll be scrubbing myself clean whilst crying in the shower for a few hours after though. But whatever gets that Fossil off her wrist man.
>especially if her parents are loaded, turn the tables and golddig her right back :^)
Kek. Her parents are pretty cool, they remember me from when we used to be friends.

>Still bitching about my posts

This isn't a bad idea user. I've briefly mentioned that am into watches before and she did seem somewhat interested since she likes design and has never really thought about the mechanism within a watch, but she did show signs of curiosity. Maybe there's hope that I can get her interested in the same hobby but it won't be easy. Definitely worth a shot though.

Fuck off to /soc/.

Nah.

Don't force it user. Begin with small anecdotes, stuff like how you got a watch, some tidbit about the brand and then work your way up to interesting quirks about the movement, how the watch compares to others of the same time period etc.

Don't try to change her, just share your enthusiasm for watches and let her convince herself.

Thanks for the advice user, I'll do my best. I definitely think she could be the type who'd be into it. But all I can do now is follow everyone's advice and hope.

Fat Torontonian has a good how-to for using buying services

I have many, many folded 1000 times like Katana watches.

If you can accomplish that, then congrats. I tried to get my girlfriend interested in watches to no avail. She wears a rose gold Michael Kors and a hideous plastic blue submariner lookalike. It pains me greatly to see both.

Recently I got my hopes up because she asked me to help her find a "white watch", at which point I gleefully opened the Seiko 5 finder and looked for something with a white dial. Little did I know, what she actually meant was a watch with a white case and bracelet, not "silver" like mine. I don't think it is even possible to get a half-decent case material in white.

>Little did I know, what she actually meant was a watch with a white case and bracelet
This is why I can't have relationships with other people.
I don't know if I have autism or what but I just can't imagine myself keeping my mouth shut.

Maybe I should make a normie book. I had a cute afghan friend in junior high and I was really close with her and her family but she moved and never came back. I still dream about her kawaii accent.

So King pimple, 5740 and a Kingpenis. Next up is a 5216?

Gotta step up my game then. Though not for another month till i get back.

>half-decent case material in white
I'd get a white F91 for shits and giggles.

>anime reaction gif
don't worry user, she never would have gone out with you anyway.

I don't even watch anime I just saw it in my reaction folder and used it. It's not like someone would intuitively know that I have an anime gif in my reaction folder.

Why do you care about /wt/'s opinion?

I might get one of the new crowns for my green Neptune.

Nothing is impossible user. Am just gonna try my best with her and see what happens. She's always been an open minded girl, who knows she may become more into watches then I am. Best of luck though
>a watch with a white case and bracelet, not "silver" like mine. I don't think it is even possible to get a half-decent case material in white.
Ouch. I'm not too sure if there is user, all white case watches I've seen have generally plastic dogshit.

Kek. I understand that feel.

Chase your dreams user, try to find her online and get back in touch. To be perfectly honest I've only got on Facebook recently, am just lucky she remembered me.