Why didn't anyone bother standardizing this shit?

Why didn't anyone bother standardizing this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

grouplens.org/blog/investigating-the-potential-for-miscommunication-using-emoji/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is standardized. A smiley face is a smiley face. Who the fuck uses emojis though?

> Apple emoticon scores -1
Uhh, who would consider it to be a negative expression?

from the same source as OP's pic

Make the facial expression yourself. Tightly closed eyes and bared teeth with no curvature of the mouth typically implies some sort of pain.

it looks a bit like grimacing, and without seeing Samsung, Android, LG, and Microsoft as references, it's easy to conclude that it's some kind of wincing/cringing face.

It's the "Terry Davis" look.

Yeah, you can change letters entirely and their meaning, or sound, doesn't change, however changing an emoticon changes the feeling they convey entirely. fucking retarded that they put this bloated shit in the unicode standard.

Because it looks like he's held at gunpoint

i think your chart is backwards, and FUCK microsofts is one ugly ass mother fucker
>kill it

kek

It's so annoying trying to play a guessing game of which emoji will mean the same thing for the person reading it on their iphone.

you can think what you want - they surveyed a bunch of people and those were the results.

you have to accept that research broadly trying to capture "the average person" isn't going to be relevant to people on Sup Forums.

Whoever made that graph is a massive sperg. Nobody thinks the apple emoji is a negative one.

In fact, the one differing most is the Samsung one, since it doesn't have its teeth together.

The apple one looks like an autistic retard trying to smile after hearing a one sentence description of smiling from an adult.

i understand that this is hard to understand, but the graph was informed by hundreds of responses. it wasn't some autistic person on Sup Forums arbitrarily assigning numerical values to emojis.

you painted a very vivid picture of your first picture day.

corresponding article with the OP's chart. there's a link in there to the published paper.

grouplens.org/blog/investigating-the-potential-for-miscommunication-using-emoji/

it's sort of shocking that this thread managed to go about an hour with you fucking retards opining on this stuff without anyone feeling the urge to be more informed by the source.

>you painted a very vivid picture of your first picture day.
don't bully my friend

google is the best but emoji are objectively terrible
:^)

LG and Samsung are cute!

I'm a school teacher. I see that face every fucking day.

Who else got a Ph.D on emoji theory and is ecstatic about this new interest on the field?

This

It was designed by stupid people for stupid people.
Nobody with a functional brain really gives a shit about the consistency of emojis so it will never be fixed.

Personally I never use emojis ever, but hands down, the Apple ones look dated and ugly. No idea who thought it's okay to make everything flat but the emojis (which as typographic symbols shouldn't have any gloss and whatnot to begin with).

> autismcomics

pls

Once again, Apple is wrong.

who cares, each app has their own anyway so if I send an emoji through telegram they'll always receive the same one no matter the platform

why would I ever send emoji through SMS?

It's weird seeing Apple having the worst design of something.

I mean, as much as we like to shit on them design is generally the thing you can count them on doing right, bur their emojis look like something they scavenged up from some free library a dude made in 2004.

Also, when did emoji become a word everyone uses? Like, we have had and used them since fucking forever, why did people suddenly start using the Japanese name? Why did it get popularized? Did Apple start shilling it like the word "App" or something?

The corners of the mouth aren't upturned. So instead of a toothy smile, it could be interpreted at baring teeth.

>It's weird seeing Apple having the worst design of something.
What?
>I mean, as much as we like to shit on them design is generally the thing you can count them on doing right,
WHAT?
>bur their emojis look like something they scavenged up from some free library a dude made in 2004.
The shitty free library garbage style is what most Apple employees seek to emulate. Hipsters man, not even once.
>Also, when did emoji become a word everyone uses?
March of 2015.
>Did Apple start shilling it like the word "App" or something?
Yes.

thank you for pointing that out, I feel much better now

;^)

The MS one got updated

Also, Google has the best emojis

I like them.

Google ones are obv better though.

>google emoji

Never quite understood why emojis look like they look now.

Honestly, Microsoft's "emojis" make me kind of uncomfortable. Also they have been standardized, you may have heard of them, they're called "emoticons". Examples would be " :) ", " :( ", " :^) ".

there's a standard for what the unicode sequence is supposed to depict, but it's up to font designers to render it and as a result it can look different across fonts. I mean, look at cursive fonts versus sans-serif fonts, lmfao

everyone who uses it, old man

you're thinking of fonts. fonts are standardized, in the case you're illustrating.

rip hairy heart

I'd put microsoft at -10, what the fuck is that shit.

who actually smiles with their bottom teeth?

apparently these bozos had nothing else better to do

It's never too late for braces, Anonymous-sama.

>Why didn't anyone bother standardizing this shit?

They have been standardized. Unicode has code points for the emoji. Now, it's up to the companies to use the Unicode standard.

>nearly half of all text on Instagram contains emoji

It's nearly identical to the grimacing one, that's the problem.

>they're called "emoticons"
No, they're called emojis.

how many projectile vomiting pics do you have?

All this is the fault of affirmative action. That's why they invented these symbols for the illiterate niggers who needed a way to communicate by text without actually knowing how to speak or write English.

look at this retard.

retard, stop posting

It looks like a brainfart on Apple's part, since it's supposed to be 'GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES', but they just took their 'GRIMACING FACE' and added the asian eyes to it.

>grimacing face with a bandaid over its mouth

>Why didn't anyone bother standardizing this shit?
Because emojis are like fashion or even GUIs, while you can standardize quietly some things, it is not required for the good functioning, nor is it useful since people will change their tastes quite fast anyway.

Just use ascii emojis in instant messaging if you really need them, they're standardized and look the same on any platform.

Other people use Unicode emojis.

emojis are called emojis because the japs were the first ones to come up with a codepoint standard for emoticons, which then got rolled into unicode

Yahoo smilies were the best and we are never getting them back. ever

it's ugly, but that's not the point of the chart retard

yes. the IEEE consortium on emojis. . ..............

Struck a nerve, samefag?

Why are they called emojis now and not emoticons?

Oh nvm

I guess that's why there are so many japan-related emojis

Nah, MSN smileys were the best

Overall good update, but what the fuck is up with that laughing with tears emoji?!

Get a load of this fugly fuckface sperglord lmao

the microsoft one is really bad

kek

>Using the smiley with a carat nose

>>they're called "emojis"
No, they're called emoticons.

underrated post

Apple emoji is most accurate given the context. It shows the most happiness an Apple user could possibly experience while using an Apple product.

looks like some bsg villain

So Sup Forums can bitch about this trivial shit instead of talking about technology

>not using EmojiOne emojis
>2000 + 16 + 0.6

top kek

Yeah, I'd much rather use that one than all the crap in OP's pic.

Fucking laughing hysterically in public.

This is technology and no standard emoji has been the worst thing ever.

emoji autocorrect is an invention we desperately need.

>I need to take a shit

I'm not using that poo in loo looking shit

Much improved, desu

I'm suprised Windows 10 doesn't have a way to input emoji, afaik

No, they're called emoji.

It has a list of them like OS X where you can pick them.

How do you open it, though? And why don't they show up in any browsers

Right click on Taskbar > Show touch keyboard button
Then click on it and you can find them all there.

They show up in Chrome Canary for me.

Anyone else worried other retarded things like the emojii on twitch will have to become part of unicode now?

No, twitch emojis are great for triggering retards

Thanks!

Just upgraded my shitposting by 10%!

>even Samshit's emoji is better than Google's

>Needing to open up a touch keyboard just to use emoji

>ASCII emojis

>government money went into writing this crap

>using emojis

given that being offended on social media is used to justify riots and actual revolutions in 2010s (whether you like it or not) it's probably worth considering

I dunno, Apple's one looks perfectly like a smile to me.

One of the key things with a good smile is not the mouth but the eyes and the eyes in the apple one is certainly smiling!

underrated post

TOP TIER
Samsung

HIGH TIER
LG

MID TIER
Google

JUST TIER
Microsoft

KILL ME TIER
Applel