My PC speakers are fucked and I need to replace my audio setup...

My PC speakers are fucked and I need to replace my audio setup. Unfortunately finding information which isn't absurd audiophile marketing nonsense is proving difficult and when I do the product hasn't been available in the UK. Can any user here help me out?

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-electronics/calgary/harmon-kardon-hi-fidelity-stereo-system/1171161052?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1. buy bookshelf speakers from charity shop
2. buy Chinese t-amp
3. ???
4. profit

>buying shit chink t amp that can only output 1% of its advertised wattage
NIGGA DONT

>finding information which isn't absurd audiophile marketing nonsense is proving difficult
>asks Sup Forums
retard. Most people here even believe you can hear a difference between flac and MP3

somebody post their poorfag jbl lsr and controller setup pls

why do you IDIOTS always post with a photo of shitty speakers, followed by no information about your budget, your room size, or your amplification and source

then these fucking threads always end with "Hurr guess I'll get this shit ass powered speaker with multiple reviews of having a shoebox sound and horrible noise, so much better than my logitech"

fuck off you fucking plebe

>finding information which isn't absurd audiophile marketing nonsense is proving difficult

yeah, it's legitimately startling. audio has been stagnant for a couple decades now and bullshit marketing is the default way to differentiate a product.

the trustworthy people are the scientific researchers doing studies on human perception. If you're a heavy reader, Floyd Toole, Sean Olive, Earl Geddes, David Griesinger, Alex Voishvillo are/have been some of the heavy lifters.

JBL LSR305's and scarlett 2i2. Bangest for buckest.

This pretty much

Lepai is fine

continued

important main concepts:

-frequency response is very important. very. the farther away from the speaker you sit, the more important "directivity" is (aka the speaker's ability to keep FR the same regardless of your angle to it.) most speakers only have good frequency response on-axis, so they only (sort-of) work for a single spot. All the words reviewers use to describe the sound are just descriptions of FR anomalies. "Detail" "Airy" "Resolution" "Congested" "Open" etc etc are mostly just vague descriptions of FR problems.

-speakers only have vague control over how the bass sounds, no matter how exotic the woofer. your room fucks with the sound below ~150Hz, creating large peaks and dips that change as you move around the room. the only way to fix this is to spread multiple bass sources around or by sitting super close (within 2 feet) of the speakers or sub. EQ for each bass source is pretty much mandatory. "boomy" bass happens when you get a narrow peak somewhere in the FR. "tight" happens when your bass response has no peaks or dips.

-there is no legitimate method of measuring distortion used in the industry. THD is a mostly garbage number that has little or no correlation with perception. marketing can make it seem like amps can introduce huge changes to the sound, but it's all bullshit. amps are easy to make nowadays. you will not hear differences between amps, only speakers, unless the amp is broken or used improperly.

-early room reflections destroy the non-bass sound in many ways. if the sound bounces off a [desk/wall/anything sharp, hard, and wide] and arrives at your ear within 5ms of the direct sound, shit gets fucked up. room reflections give spaciousness to the sound without fucking it up if they arrive 20ms or more after.
speakers with good directivity are a massive help in reducing early reflections.

cont. again:

harman is consistently great at delivering science-based speakers, at least in the >$100 bracket.

JBL LSR305 and behringer truth B2030A are fantastic for the price. Sup Forums seems to think these two keep popping up due to shilling, but its really because of scarcity of affordable modern designs.

if you can't find either of those, look for the JBL arena line, which still use fairly deep waveguides.

would you mind posting a pic of your set-up with time-stamp so its not like some pajeet giving bad advice to assuage his own inadequacies over having equipment from the Dollar Store?

POO IN LOO

Kind of the same request like OP.

I want to replace my Teufel 5.1 system with a Stereo soundsystem that is not used for vidya anymore but mostly for music. Budget is 200-300€. All i care about is to be able to plug my laptop/ipod in via aux-cable and have a great, great sound (as far as it's possible within the price range). As i have no clue about sound and what matters, some help would be greatly appreciated

Behringers are very colored. They are hyped in the low end. They are not an accurate monitor whatsoever. That's not to say you can't mix on Truths and get them to translate.
If you try hard enough you can probably mix through two tin cans and a piece of string. My moto is talent trumps gear, always. I owned a pair a few years ago and could get a mix out the door with them. But it is difficult. The Truths are not at all revealing. Half your mix (and your mistakes) get buried in their coloring. For hip hop, and techno they are ok, but your not going to be hearing the delicate breath sounds from a flute player through these monitors. If the type of music your mixing dictates accurate subsonics add the Adam sub to the A7's. A set up like that will blow the Behringers away and blow you out of any small contol room. If you really must have a set of Truths, their is a Behringer sub in my closet I"ll sell you very cheap.

Those JBLs I've comparison tested and they sound like a hollow shoe box. Small cabinet size made of plastic is something you overcome with difficultness.

so angry young man

i liked my yamaha hs80 but they are pretty large,
am looking for a stereo substitute to my logitech thx 2.1 shit because too much bass and heavy movie-like response...

those jbl's seem nice...
my outputs come from a traktor s5 (burr brown) or workstation with apogee, for a 20sqm room

this man speaks truth
we want the same, have you looked into audio engine? sound seems okidoki especially for the size

how much do the JM Labs Focal Chorus or Q-Acoustic models cost in your country?

>JM Labs Focal Chorus
double the budget, 700 eurodollars on amazon. not the teuffel guy

Jbl lsr305

Your welcome

is that amazon.de? im gonna recommend:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers (~140 EU)

and any older Cambridge Audio receiver less than 150 EU

id get the Diamonds myself except they're impossible to find in the US

Dear user,
this recommendation is something i've never seen before and i will order it right jetzt.
You seem to be a good person!

Thanks and love,
user

Klipsh desktop speakers are like 100 bucks at best buy.

What receiver did you order?

yeah, and they have the subtlety of a ball peen hammer

He was trying to be funny, yo.

i have an older (90ies) yamaha high end receiver, will use that.

Oh...

nope sir

This is actually good advice for the budget minded. I bought some Sharp speakers for $3 each and used them in conjunction with my old Sony amp. It was pretty good sounding.

hs8 are the best

>Denon D-M40DAB

What about this?

will order, will use yamaha, no point in wasting my time being ironic to a helpful user.

for studio work
adam 7 > hs8
t.b.h.

>Budget
$20 - $30
>Room size
Small

Needs to be 2.1.

>Denon D-M40DAB

not bad for an all-in-one

>op
>not stating rough budget

fuck you

if price plays no rolex

what? you can find used adams in good condition for less than the price of new yamahas

prolly something off local craigslist near a college

i like my Z623 how bad are they to you autists

alesis elevate 3
£70 and pretty good active monitors.

just get thonet & vander vier or kürbis/kugel

not flat enough, maybe for small rooms, but i find they dont pick up enough sound

you say that but used hs8s are even cheaper.

Also "studio" sound should be what you aim for in a home set up too

That's more like the price I had in mind. Anyone else have experience with them?

i am it's cool for games, medium for music.
is your bass poti on 10 o'clock like mine?
if you're happy keep them.
way too much bass for me

well i'm not this guy but that 2.1 thx guy

yeah 10oclock thats like a sweet spot but i use equaliser to improve the treble and its alot better, i know this is not an argument but everyone always mentions how good it sounds

the z623 is 2.1 thx also

Heres a shitty paint render of my room with measurements.

I want to watch movies in bed, and play music when i study.

What is the cheapest 2.1/2.0 set up for me?

yamaha hs8

peace of mind

>you will not hear differences between amps

Are you sure about this user? Pretty certain my amps sound different. The difference is very subtle, but it's there.

that user probably hasn't used any decent amps or speakers

if the speakers are excellent and the amps are excellent, the differences may be subtle

but the difference between an amp with small capacitors and a weak consumer grade transformer, and a higher quality amp with proper electronics is very noticeable

>unironically using inches

>wattage

V-Moda Crossfade M100's are of exceptional quality for the price.

Next would be a decent Audio Engine set if you have to have monitors + sub& but that gets a bit more pricey. (Though of equally high quality.)

E.g pair of Audio Engine A5's with an AS8 Sub& + Audio Engine DAC will blow your mind.

They would firstly blow my money away. Sadly outside of my budget

look up speakers with positive reviews from people who have owned them for at least 1 year, preferably more. look for 15Hz low response, 22+KHz high response. prefer strong mids. don't worry too much, you can get a ~decent~ set of speakers for well under $200. if you're not an audiophile and can't tell the difference between V2 and V0 you won't care

>15Hz low response
Uhm, what?

I'm trying to get into hifi stuff. I really like vintage amps. Should I jump on this deal?

That's not too bad. Probably going to cost you $100 more to get a stylus and clean the controls on the amp. Assuming it's just dirty pots. Offer less and see what happens.

Get some shitty cheap Logitech speakers for like $80 and call it a day niglet. You're some lonely ass faggot, not like you're going to be DJing and hosting parties or some shit, just listening to shitty dubstep music while you "program" or fap to ponyshit.

Thanks for the reply
I was thinking of just snagging the amp. He'll probably let it go for $140. I think it's got quite a bit of features for a budget amp

kijiji.ca/v-electronics/calgary/harmon-kardon-hi-fidelity-stereo-system/1171161052?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You can make money on this setup. That turntable is worth a few hundred dollars minimum.

Thanks man! I think for $25, that'll not be a gamble at all.

>v-moda crossfade

this is a speaker thread, and those are terrible headphones. look into harman's double blind preference test, you can find summaries of it on sean olive's blog.

no speakers have audible 15Hz response. nearly all consumer amps have a high-pass at 20Hz anyway. only subwoofers will hit that, and only with several huge ones.

response above 18Khz is useless; your brain's just not wired to glean information in that range. and i say this as someone who could legitimately hear up to 25Khz until a couple years ago. your ability to discern pitch and loudness go out the window. air absorbs frequencies above 20Khz very rapidly, so even instruments that have harmonics way above that still don't put out anything audible at a normal listening distance.

adding to all that, nearly all speakers beam like a laser above 16Khz (or lower) anyway. unless you aim the tweeters at your ears with a literal laser and hold your head in the same +/- 3cm area, you won't hear that 22Khz unless your speakers use horn-loaded supertweeters.

remember that frequency range is logarithmic, not linear. 15Hz is way deeper than 20Hz and takes massive amounts of excursion and power to hit audible levels. on the opposite end, 22KHz is barely, barely higher than 20Khz.

Dude! Buy the turntable and resell it if you don't want to keep it. It's a very good turntable. You could eventually build a really nice system around it.

Sadly, the guy already sold it when I contacted him... thanks heaps, anyways user, I really appreciate it.

You can't just come in here and actually know what you're talking about.
This isn't that kinda place man.

>someone actually suggested the v-moda crossfade

Why the fuck would anyone take that guy seriously to begin with?