What stops you from switching permanently to linux?

What stops you from switching permanently to linux?

For me its software availability, specifically:

>Rhino/Grasshopper
>Autodesk Revit
>lack of decent CAD software
>Lack of Finite element analysis software (maybe there's some I haven't discovered yet)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_finite_element_software_packages
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Battery life. OS X gives me a solid 8 hours.

UEFI and laziness

Have used lunix 2007-2013 before

I find that having a career and social life interferes with my want to sit in my basement fixing Xorg all day.

I stopped caring about its future when they adopted systemd out of fear and ineptitude.

I no longer care which OS I use nor do I care about the internet, any data I have acquired, or the future of mankind.

Shit graphics card drivers. When i build a better pc, this laptop (the one i'm using right now) will be only for hackintoshes and that pc will be just Linux.

As a heavy Arch user, i didn't touch nearly any Xorg configs in a year (except to disable mouse accel)

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

Those things clearly don't interfere with your shitposting though.

I've got nothing to hide when I use windows 10.

I unlocked a core on my piece of shit AMD CPU and for some reason it makes the Linux kernel lose its shit and spam the kernel log and any open terminal with obscure error messages.
Windows seems to be dealing with it fine.

The fact that Windows 7 already does everything I want it to do and I'm accustomed to it.

>What stops you from switching permanently to linux?

The fact that it sucks, basically. Been dealing with Linux since Linus first posted his code on Usenet decades ago, used Slackware 1.0 - the original Linux distro - and most everything since and it still fucking sucks.

I no care
I love it

Full time linuxer for 4 years ish
Everything is actually fine

I cannot do my gayman activities because shit drivers.

Ableton Live and Cycling 74's Max, that's it. Actually used Linux for many years and love it. Hopefully Bitwig soon catches up

Even though Linux is more stable as a server, Windows is more stable as a desktop. I never have to reinstall Windows. I never get "Xorg problems" in Windows.

Windows also have better software. When you have 10 times more software written for the OS, it's inevitable that you'll most often find the best alternative in Windows.

Quality > quantity.

lack of driver support combined with the fact that I can't be arsed to write my own

A real job

I just like how polished everything is in OS X. It just works.

But I actually HAVE TO start using Linux at home since they use FOSS almost exclusively at my new job and I want to know how to tweak and troubleshoot Linux.
>mfw I first saw my Kubuntu workstation

It's a statistical curve thing. Even if Linux software as twice as good as Windows software on average (which I doubt so), when you have 10 times as many software, chances are the best in Windows is better than the best in Linux.

With linux its easy to permanently mess up your OS since you have to manually install everything. It happened to me. I even kept clone backups going to prevent it, but it turned out that my OS became fucked up and my backup didnt work so I ditched linux forever

It's held together like a fucking nigger-rigged dirty bomb and fucking functions like one.

gayming

osx is better for desktop/gui usage.

Visual Studio is C++ king

because most commercial hardware/software manufacturers don't give a fuck about linux and dedicate maybe a tenth of their development resources to it.

It's always a second-class citizen experience, and it shows

Is pic of "Microsoft tech support rep calling because your copy of windows is broken?"

I neither want nor need to. There is no advantage for me to switching to an OS that I would have to relearn from scratch having not used for over 2 decades like I have Windows.

There's nothing any Linux Distro offers me that would ever make me switch. It's as simple as that.

I'm spotting some really basic spelling and grammar mistakes in this thread...

Good, the NSA can concentrate on dumb winfags drones like you and less on linux users.

I started using it "permanently" ~2 years ago and I don't see myself going back

Spoken like a true winshill, enjoy your blue screens of death.

Let's see.

AMD support is trash. Have to enable DRI3 for it to be bearable, except for Gnome 3 or KDE which are heavy.

Defaults for pretty much almost every desktop out there are pretty silly.

There's not a fully featured music player that doesn't look like shit.

GUIs are a thing, not everyone's going to use CLIs.

The obvious which is game and graphic design tool support.

Also I used to hear that intel graphics were excellent. Intel 4600 is pretty fucking laggy on linux.

peripheral drivers.
I got tired of not being able to use all the features of a printer/scanner/webcam/keyboard/mouse/etc...

Is this legit still a thing?

I haven't had any trouble with peripherals for years now.

Depends on peripherals in question. It's usually a thing when you're trying to connect something "not mainstream enough" - too old, too recent or otherwise niche.

It's rare to find devices that have drivers specifically for linux, and most of the time they're inferior to the windows\osx drivers. Of course linux usually has generic drivers that'll work for the basic functions.

Touchdesigner pretty much
If Derivative put out a linux build I would never look back

I had a hard drive die on me like 2007 and installed debian and puredata and spent two years learning both. Look into puredata, it's just opensource max/msp (made by Miller Puckette). As for an Ableton alternative, I dunno

>I will never be able to grow a mustache like that
Fuck you, chink genetics

I ran only linux for years and still do on my main desktop but i had to install windows on my laptop for work... not trying to run wine on a 200 dollar shitbox. It really does have everything nowadays its easy as hell to use and you can find documentation on everything. Also freecad is not amazing and certainly not comparable to solidworks but for 99 percent of users it is sufficient. I actually use cad on a daily basis and can safely say most people do not need anything close to the features available on freecad or blender.

plenty of fea on linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_finite_element_software_packages

you have to understand many large scale science projects run linux stations and use them for everything. Scientists develop tools on linux and projects save a ton of money by running free software.

For me its the goddamned drivers and trying to get games and software to function well. If those had functional parity with windows I would drop it and not look back.

Nothing, because I already have.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

World of Warcraft 1.12.1 and League of Legends. Those are the two programs that do not perform well enough on my setup under Linux.
This would be fixed with a better GPU but I like having a silent workstation.

I really like Gnome project and even Unity to some extent.

I boot into into my Windows partition once a month to play games for a few hours while SyncToy backs up media to my archive drive.

Honestly if my Windows partition went south I probably wouldn't even reinstall it. I'd just settle for whatever games i could get to run in WINE and set up a rsync cron job.

tl;dr - inertia

>no gaymez
>Shit hardware support
>A lot of missing software
For starting...

So why are you posting in this thread?

Because I'm waiting for something to install, and my YouTube playlist finished.

photoshop
office

Are you running CC?

If not, anything up to CS5/CS6 and office can be run in a virtual box at practically full speed. Run it in seamless mode.

>I've got nothing to hide when I use windows 10.
"I've got nowhere to hide when I use windows 10."
Fixed it for you.

Engineering software and digital drawing software.

DPI scaling

Thumbnails in file picker

Yeah, wouldn't want anything to get in the way of shitposting on Sup Forums all day.

>Thumbnails
?????

my lack of virginity

Lol pakalu papito a cute

Yeah sorry. Lack of* thumbnails.

Gay men

I'm happy with OS X.

Lol his stuck behind windows

> needing all that shit to do engineering / whatever

> good one

enjoy your crutches and 'real world' memes you fall for, nigger no one cares.

gimp
libreoffice

Can't you run them in Wine?

Pajeet is intellect dripping down at every second. I doubt there is anyone smarter or wiser than him in the world. He is the epitome of intelligence. I think he is the greatest Indian of last 10-25 years. Maybe greatest Indian since independence, maybe greatest human since Gautam Buddha.

Wow, windows steam games and office.

NX is fucking awesome and it runs on linux.
Go kill yourself.

nintendo nx?

>For me its software availability,
>For me
For everyone.
No one wants to bother making software for Linux because the userbase is minuscule.
And the userbase is minuscule because there's no specialized software for it.

What Sup Forums doesn't get is the desktop market is SHRINKING not the other way around. Memester desktop users - you know the kind, just browsing and spreadsheets, etc. they simply move to mobile. You can do your taxes on a tablet no fucking problem, and it's handier for socialcancer websites.

So really what Linux retards have to realize is this - either suck the dick of pro application vendors and beg them to release Linux versions (but muh non free software) or make some mobile OS alternative to Android that can run android apps.
There is nothing else left to do at this point.
If you don't do it Linux will die. Without a fucking doubt.

I personally don't give a crap either way.

Nothing, I am already using GNU/Linux as my daily computer.

>browser to allow me to shitpost on Sup Forums
>all the programming tools I need
>bonus: a slow growing number of good Linux games that I play once in awhile.

Yes, analysis using numerical models requires software.

Are you retarded?

mint buntu and fedora are uefi friendly.

If you tinker with conf files, you should use Arch.
Pacman runs checksums and will NOT overwrite conf files that have been editted.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

NX unigraphics

Same for me. My plan was to install Ubuntu after buying my MBPr because I bought it for the keyboard, trackpad and SSD. Turns out Ubuntu only gives me 5 hours of battery life while I get 10 on OS X.

Video games
And having to switch the boot order at startup is a pain.

Who the fuck goes into CAD?

A Parametric Equalizer.

Still no alternative to EqualizerAPO.

>no Excel
>shitty nvidia drivers (noveau)
>Linux runs smoother in VMWare on Windows than on bare metal
>no games
>Emacs still runs on Windows

OS X is.

Drivers.
Ease of use.

I can live without gaymen, but if my system is not performing on par with Windows, Linux can go fuck itself.

muh gaymes

Games
Microsoft Office
Bad skype support

I use Linux on my laptop 90% of the time though.

Dark Souls. No seriously. Dark Souls series is like the only game I play recently. Wine is hit and miss, and getting VGA pass through working with a nvidia card is such a convoluted process. Other than that, all my stuff is do able on Linux. Office, makeMKV Blu-ray ripper is Linux native. Handbrake. Ffmpeg. That and Ubuntu MATE is so damned comfy.

>inb4 gaymes

I use my OS for everything. And play games when I have free time. Ubuntu getting more main stream games made natively for it would increase popularity ten fold. If not more. Could you imagine the number of people who would be using Ubuntu if various AAA games were made native for it?

>SHOC, Armed Assault and Arma2
Which i fire up every now and then (few times a year). OFP and HoI2 works fine with wine (sound goes apeshit sometimes, at least with oss4).

Architect here. Agree with the above reasons. I need Sketchup too.

Maybe i'll try them again then

Muh games
Muh OS that just werks
No time to spend on fiddling with Linux.
I also represent about 90 percent of non-linux users.

>Implying that the distro's have anything to do with that

...C-Citizendium-senpai...

What version of Linux were you using that it wasn't UEFI friendly? Even Mint works fine on all new computers and motherboards. Dual booting windows 7 and Ubuntu MATE 16.04 currently with zero issues. Just make sure to install using the UEFI boot method otherwise grub won't load.

Those two people are not the same...

>gimp
>libreanything
LOL
O
L

The fact that Windows works like shit after 2 or 3 mounts of usage, comparing to the first boot

I just permamenty fucked up lubuntu's X server by typing a couple xrandr commands and startX. I've tried looking into the logs but I'm not going to bother fixing this or reinstalling for a few days.

I've gone back and forth between windows and linux many times, but I'm always forced back to windows for some reason. Typically compatability and stability.