ITT: Tech flops

Starting with a obvious one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CLg1Wtl9ffQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"tool used by some of the best doctors and surgeons is a flop"

come on man

It was supposed to be the next big thing. Not a niche tool. Even if every surgeon buys one, is still a flop, commercially.

hehehe

>hasn't had an actual commercial launch
>flopped commercially

was google glass supposed to be a retail product? i pretty vividly remember google being really adamant that it was just a thing to hack around with and develop on, in the hopes of exploring augmented reality more seriously [without investing in the development work so much themselves].

ah okay, that answers my question in . but then again Sup Forums is so fucking stupid that they just blindly eat up anything that has a price tag even if it's clearly not designed for them.

JPG to be quite honest with you family.

They didn't even launch it for public use.

your thread

Retard

So sad because this was so far ahead of its time. Like, decades.

The tech wasn't there yet and the interface was very clunky.

This is real though if you have WiFi or usb tethering

If that wasn't taken into account then it deserves to have been a flop

>Niche
>They are making a second one that will address all problems with the first

How can you think there will be a future without wearables and biological integrated machines?

You're retarded.

Are you Larry or Sergey?

the first google glass looks retarded and it is a flop

that is why smart contact lenses are the future, nobody wants to wear fucking glasses

Rip Zune, I really liked the design on those. I was a poorfag neet at the time and didn't have any cash. Else I would have bought one.

>6 CAMERAS
>
>C
>A
>M
>E
>R
>A
>S

Zune was so good, though...
Fuck, I miss those things.

Including software too

At some point the mean intelligence will be high enough that the usage of wearable tech will be more socially acceptable as people will be less about "omg becky look at that nerd, like just i cannot even becky I CANNOT EVEN. I WOULD NOT DO SO SIMPLE AS TO MATE WITH THAT MAN AS THAT WOULD BE TO GIVE HIM STATUS AND LOWER MINE." and more in the "Shit, I need info at a glance, here it is, my hands are free and I am not some bumbling idiot looking down into my phone at just the incorrectest of times."

Since I already need glasses, I'd love to wear something like the glass. Unfortunately it's a literal botnet.

GNU smart glasses when?

"for example:"

> "omg becky look at that nerd, like just i cannot even becky I CANNOT EVEN. I WOULD NOT DO SO SIMPLE AS TO MATE WITH THAT MAN AS THAT WOULD BE TO GIVE HIM STATUS AND LOWER MINE."

I kek'd

Not even 2% market share kek.

I honestly wonder how different the sell numbers would be if they phone was sold unlocked for a $100 less.

Servers though

So this thread got me thinking about the Apple Newton because I don't know that much about it, just that it's a flop.

I've never seen one in action... until now

youtube.com/watch?v=CLg1Wtl9ffQ

First video that comes up

>dat clunky interface
>no on-screen keyboard
>have to write everything and hope the shitty handwriting recognition software gets it right

holy shit my sides

>servers
>android
>cars (retarded but still)

Consumer flop, commercial success. The exact opposite of what its creators hoped for

>not /po/

Talking about /po/, it's time to check dubs on there.

pls don't do that.
w-why do you like bullying /po/?

Is it just me or does this sound way to high? I can't imagine 1 in 50 people being linux users assuming this isn't counting android and chromeos

It's hillarious. Acting like it was Sup Forums is funny too

It's not.
/po/ is the comfiest board. I wish you wouldn't do that.

Same,

Its too slow, so if anything we're helping the board grow

HE'S BACK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHA

>types in Norwich
>gets Worcester

Ah god I'm dying. 10/10 Apple

>at some point the mean intelligence will be so high

This is the most optimistic thing I've ever read. Never stop hoping for that brighter future, user.

AMD

I still want a pair

lel

Neat brand scanners. Just use a flatbed and an app that searches pdfs instead

Palm Pilot.

Now don't get me wrong, the console has been moderately successful, but who honestly plays with the 3D on?

>>no on-screen keyboard
>>have to write everything and hope the shitty handwriting recognition software gets it right
Weren't Newtons known for being basically the only thing with usable handwriting recognition? I'm no stranger to Newton OS but I've only used an eMate

psp was better and still use it today

I agree, nowhere near as good as the DS/ Lite was. games are just remakes for the most part, and it offers nothing but a gimmick and a built in web broswer (shit).

Same for the psvita. PSP was cool cause of how hackable it was.

sticky balls was heaps good though

The Vita's actually an awesome upgrade from the PSP even when you count the PSP's hacks

I remember wanting one of these so bad

>no on-screen keyboard

does nobody remember this? seriously?

Essentially pedophile currency

Picked one up instead of a PSP a few months ago, it's decent, battery life's shittier though

lol I forgot that they made ATMs for it

can it actually run anything different / new though?

it was a cool concept but it couldnt even run games lag free

everyone I knew who had one. its what sold them on it

i still haven't forgiven nokia for dumping meego

hhaha what is this? i like it

>can it actually run anything different / new though?
What do you mean?

this was a stupid idea from the start

it sounded like such a good idea though

Pretty much. The early versions of Newton OS had the "random word generator" feature, but that got fixed soon enough.
Also nice that you could write out full words, and where ever you wanted. Versus being confined to writing special glyphs in a box ... and a separate box for numbers.

The first phone BlackBerry released after going full retard, the Priv.

PRIV. Unfortunately its sales are worse than Microsoft Lumia.

The vita could've been a 10/10 if they didn't quarter-ass a handful of gimmicks and used standard memory cards.

well i havent looked at it in a while, but im referering to emulators, and utility software.

just use an adapter, its what i did for my psp, only cost a dollar

>hey consumers pay us $1000 to beta test our internal project
>also we'll still be spying on you and turning a profit from the meta data you gather for us unwittingly
>you'll basically free labor and we know you're too stupid to realize it
>all you mindless slaves walking around and getting media attention will soften the blow for later VR/AR devices that further intrude on privacy

Oh yeah. Google totally flapped hard on this one, guys. What an astounding failure.

Hardware wise the Vita is 10/10, maybe a 9.5 because of the memory card but you can't hold that against Sony, if they hadn't done that the Vita would have even less games than it does now, and it was our fault anyway.

>adapter
No such thing.

Actually, I think Linus's primary concern for Linux was to piss off his professor at the time. Everything else has become a bonus.

Still are. I'm still using my Zune HD I bought in 2009

>im referering to emulators, and utility software.
I've given up on Vita hacks, I think the best you can do is run PSP software on it

>Sony, if they hadn't done that the Vita would have even less games than it does now, and it was our fault anyway.

In what way? 3DS uses SD with no issue.

Oh, my bad. Funny how sony dont even use the same proprietary memory card among their devices, like there's a similar sized one they used in old flip phones

real shame, psp was only popular because of how hackable it was i think, i mean thats why i ended up getting one

Valve is like an easily distracted child, just jangle some shiny keys in front of them and they will drop what they're doing for something new and shiny.

>Half life 3
>Steam OS
>Steam Controller
>Steam Link
>Vive

>In what way?
The PSP had such a huge hacking scene the only way Sony could get anyone to back the Vita was by locking the shit out of it, including a proprietary memory card
>3DS uses SD with no issue.
It also had a much, much smaller scene. The PSP was THE device, the DS was just a device.

Purely based on specs I'd agree that it's a 10 but overall the hardware has a few kinks in it.
>Lacking L2/R2/L3/R3 buttons
>Touchscreen makes up for this a bit but would be mostly unnecessary if they had a full set
>Back touchpad, literally why.
>Memory cards are insane, also only one psn account per card, enjoy buying another if you want to import.

The lack of region lock and general feel of the device is nice though, aside from the gloss.

Ds with Mario Kart was fun as fuck.

I fucking love ashens

I bought one.

I used it once, realized it was fucking cancerous. I sold it on eBay to a private investigator for $4500.

A few weeks later all of the people in the program got an invite to buy another, so I bought a second using my girlfriend's account. I sold that one for $3200.

I still get messages from Google thanking me for being apart of the program. They sent me some book with photographs people took using theirs lol.

Thanks, Google!

Am I the only one that likes the rear trackpad? Little Deviants made great use of it as did some other games, not to mention you can use it for things like scrolling in the browser.

While I do agree that's entirely irrelevant.

I don't buy that for a second. DS had a huge piracy scene, all you needed was a Chinese made card that faked a proper game header and you were in.

Sony are just dumb with security.

Yeah that's just the thing, you needed to buy shit for the DS's piracy scene. You could work with nothing but what you already had for the PSP's.

I-is that a belt?

I've never bothered to use the browser on the vita but I haven't seen it very elegantly used in games
>QTEs or something in uncharted
>Star notes in project diva, sequel allowed use of thumbsticks like the ps3 version
>Attack/Defend order in ys
I think gravity rush used it for something too but I don't remember.

Probably at least 95% of me using it in ys was accidentally and then correcting it since that's where my fingers naturally rest.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the inclusion of cameras, although this is more of a thing that just annoys me personally. Why does every device need a camera nowadays, no matter how shitty it may be. At least the 3ds incorporates them into it's gimmick but I'd guess less than a thousand pictures have been taken with vitas worldwide.

I think steam in General has hit it's peak
Other platforms are starting to look more appealing

>At least the 3ds incorporates them into it's gimmick
AR? The Vita does too. Its AR games are pretty neat

Oh look. I too watched that recent episode of WatchMojodotcom. Can you honestly fuck off.