>Linux
[x] Unix
[ ᠎ ] Good graphics software
[x] Serviceable hardware

>OS X
[x] Unix
[x] Good graphics software
[ ᠎ ] Serviceable hardware

Why does it have to be like this, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You forgot to put the x on "It's fucking trash" under linux

You have 30 minutes to explain why 'Unix' is an asset. (pro-tip: you literally can't)

>Windows
[x] Unix
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Simply ebin

>Linux
>Unix

or something more modern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux

In any case, Sup Forums on suicide watch

>BSD
[x] Unix
[x] Good graphics software
[x] Serviceable hardware

>It's Unix because of a deprecated subsystem

POSIX and UNIX aren't the same thing, you retard. That UNIX shit they did was for NT and they stopped doing that over a decade ago.

You forgot drivers dickhead. Linux has no drivers and generic ones are too shit for non-autistic people.

>Good graphics software
Do you mean graphics hardware drivers or image manipulation software?

If you want to be a pedantic little faggot then Linux isn't Unix either.

>"Linux has no drivers" meme
>Install Win 7
>Nothing works right
>Can't connect to wi-fi
>Screen resolution won't go above 1024x800
>Install Arch through Architect
>Everything works from first boot

Get a load of this faggot.

Gnu/Linux is an implementation of the UNIX operating system. The windows bullshit is a subsystem.

Checkmate. Also, take immature shit like "faggot" to Sup Forums ;)

I assume OP is referencing the former

>Expecting out-of-the-box support for new hardware
>in a 7 years-old OS

Your manufacturer provides drivers for your specific model which you can download installers.

Windows 7 is deprecated. 8/10 update everything via Windows update. If you are on Windows you don't have to worry about drivers.

Go be a nigger somewhere else. I have used every major distribution of Linux, they are all garbage with idiotic UI.

I do, Linux is not.

>Gnu/Linux is an implementation of the UNIX operating system

Well, no arguement there. I still can't get the fucking Nvidia Optimus shit to work right for me.

Not being unix is a good thing.

Nuh uh

>Idiotic UI
You are too picky. Make your own UI or use the CLI. also, My drivers are in the kernel ootb.

Stop being so immature and using terms like "nigger" ro justify your choice of operating system.

you might as well put that under all of them and x it off

I use bash in my daily workflow and vim is my primary text editor. I am aware that I can use cygwin and such, but I am stuck with incompatibilities and weird workarounds comparable to the ones I have to use to get various software to work on Linux. OS X, even with all the problems that it has, does a better job at this.

>drivers in the kernel

Windows 8/10 can load 99% of devices on first boot including wifi and sound, something Linux fails to do on most systems.

>[x] Serviceable hardware
>Relevant point

>I'm a lazy nigger who can't be arsed to spend an hour learning Powershell
not an argument

When you first install Windows there are no wifi drivers, dipshit. How the fuck are you gonna download them?

It werks on my mums 3 PCs, my two laptops, and my friends PCs that I've converted.

Get Gud. Nobody i know has a windows partition.

>It's a "argue endlessly and fruitlessly over which OS is best" thread
>Not just accepting that no OS is best and that each has it's strengths and weaknesses
>Not understanding that having multiple competing OSes is good for everyone
>Not accepting that not everyone has the same taste as you, and that what works for one person might not for another

If you are using Windows 7 as your benchmark then you are beyond stupid.

>Nobody i know has a windows partition
Stop hanging out with unemployed people

>it's an autist not recognizing a shitposting thread

This, if you're gonna compare driver support you should use the latest version of the OS that's available.

Agree, except competing OSs are not good for everyone. If Linux had an equal use share to OSX/Windows, then you'd see a lot better software being released to support it

Also, just to dispel this driver bullshit, the Linux kernel started being more liberal with it's driver inclusions ages ago. Linux supports almost all compliant hardware now.

>Defending shitposting
It's like you don't want mature, inteligent discussion on this Peruvian Shoemaking board.

Latest Linux kernel has no driver problems

Everything just works

>macshit
>unix

Pick one.

You and I both know where to go for mature, intelligent discussion.

powershell sucks

It does everything bash does.

OP is a philosopher and a cool

>Update Arch to Linux 4.6 bleeding edge
>Bootloader fucks up, Windows partition disappears
>Can't login to my account, stuck in infinite loop

I had to spend several hours reinstalling Windows as even startup repair disc could not undo the damage of Linux on my HDD.

Good riddance.

opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm

>you
>clinically retarded
pick both

>Implying that place is intelligent or mature

They're all employed. One guy uses libreoffice and the rest don't have tech jobs.

Checkmate again. Not everyone has a tech job.

Man fuck you nigga.

I installed i3 and what the fuck? I have to write the config myself to do anything a normal computer does out of the box? I wanted to try your stupid piece of shit meme software and it is a pile of hacks that I have to scavenge the internet for just to get it to a sorta useable state.

Where the fuck is my compositing? Where the fuck is my lock shortcut? Where the fuck is my language switching? Where the fuck are my volume buttons? Why the fuck is the clock updating once per 5 seconds? Why the fuck do I have to open a terminal to put the machine to sleep?

Sure, go ahead and fucking tell me that i3 is hurdd durr minimalism do-it-yourself whatever, but then name a tiling wm that isn't like that?

Let's go ahead and shit on anything that normal people use and circlejerk about bullshit that only works to take a screenshot of me watching anime in a meme video player (actually it only works for just the screenshot because if you try to set up compositing it will make mpv skip frames and tear), not realizing that it is incompatible with anything a real human may want to do on a computer and falls apart once you try to do something a 5 year old low-end Android phone does without an issue.

I'm honestly more enjoying hanging out with code artisans who write meme JavaScript frameworks because they are at least a couple of levels closer to the real world than this autismfest.

You're literally just lying, though. What is the point?

Not sure what your user error has to do with drivers kiddo

>>Not just accepting that no OS is best and that each has it's strengths and weaknesses
this meme was actually never good so fuck off please

Install gnome.

Grow up and get a job. Watching anime all day on your riced up Loonix shitbox is not a way to live.

I wish it were copland.

>implying there's a place on the internet where mature and intelligent discussion exists

>Update Arch to Linux 4.6 bleeding edge
>Bootloader still works fine
>Can boot into Windows perfectly well

And so does Windows 10.

Let's try the reverse logic:
>have a 2012 computer
>try to install a 2008 linux live cd
>nothing works properly without having to patch the kernel

really? sorry I actually don't know much about powershell

does it support regex and stuff? also are there anything like man pages or gnu info pages? what terminal text editors are there?

Neogaf

I did, it's good, but autists complain when I talk about it.

but it's Windows that is the special snow flake with its proprietary software not getting along with other stuff...

False. Also, you can get bash in Windows. Bash is not the issue, it's the Windows system arch vs the Unix arch. Unix is just more sensible, and bash capitalises on that sensibility, giving you a really simple clean CLI.

So you believe there's an OS that's objectively the best for every human being on Earth?

[X] It's fucking trash

Ubuntu Linux

>No taskbar
>Any time mouse pointer goes top right, my screen disappears
>Can't modify shit without gnome tweak tool
>The fucking global bar requires its own shell skin
>Fucking rounded edges on the side
>Retarded UI that combines 4 elements in one sub-menu

No

>does it support regex and stuff? also are there anything like man pages or gnu info pages?
yes to both
>what terminal text editors are there?
pic rel

Sort of. Not exactly. GNU is probably the closest we have to one, but honestly, rather than believing there is one best, I believe there is one worst, and it is Windows. The unix-like operating systems have a ton in common so it's mostly just nitpicking which of them is best, unless you start discussing free software and such.

Mint has pretty much the same software minus the creepy adware. And aesthetically saner defaults.

well, fug :DD

>pic rel
am I being bullied or did you fuck up

Bash is literally the only reason why I use Ubuntu at all. In fact Microsoft's decision to bring in native Bash into Windows makes total sense. Now you might as well check the "Unix" box for Windows and there's literally no good reason to use Mac or Ubuntu.

ah cool dude, I fucking love vim

good for you

I don't think I will ever go back to Windows, nor would I wish it on my friends, but I'm happy for you, at least.

Not him [I'm ], but Ubuntu isn't that bad...

i3 is for speed. It's for running on shit hardware and sparing as much RAM as possible while also having a workable WM. Most of your complains are about DE things, not WM things. You just need to install some tray icons for that shit.

>Windows
>[ ᠎ ] Unix
>[x] Good graphics software
[x] Plays my pedophile chinese cartoon visual novels.

>Linux
>[x] Unix
>[ ᠎ ] Good graphics software
[x] Too retarded to understand how to do what I do on Windows on it.

>OS X
>[x] Unix
>[x] Good graphics software
>[ ᠎ ] Serviceable hardware
[x] Look like every other kid in the cs program at my school.

The choice is clear, my friends.

>Windows
>[x] Best OS ever made
>[x] Plays gaymes and shit
>[x] Proprietary drivers
>[x] Most widely supported system in the world
>[x] Biggest library of software available, 99% Windows exclusive
>[x] Works with most hardware systems, unlike Linux and OSX

>unironically thinking proprietary anything is actually a good thing.

The best software and drivers are proprietary closed source. There is no debate here.

xD

Most people, I think, don't even know what proprietary software is, so why should they care about it?

>>[x] Best OS ever made

The worst operating system ever made is unix, and so by default, windows is the best, because it's essentially the only operating system you can use that isn't unix.

>Linux
[x] Just werks on my machine

>get a job
>sysadmin
>use gnu/linux on the daily

>get a job
>be retail / legal / tech support / anything
>use gnu/linux on the daily

Name one job [one] that requires winshit. One.

Windows literally includes Ubuntu in the Windows Store.

Market share and user base don't lie. When you need assurance that your system and applications will work, you use Windows.

Desktop threads were full of VM posers, they all use Windows when they need to get shit done.

>Name one job [one] that requires winshit. One.
Windows developer

>judging how good something is based on marketshare
You're even more retarded than I thought. Windows is normally my example for why you can't do such a thing.

Finance
Economics
Marketing
Engineering
Design
Game development

Now what dickhead?

Most organizations use in house intranet with custom software that primarily runs on XP or 7 systems. Same is true for the university from where I graduated. Despite have Google docs, all of us were given free subscription to Office 365 which is how we create and exchange docs.

Last I checked Linux can't run Office 365 or any custom applications written for Windows.

>Finance
Fair enough.
>Economics
Fair enough.
>Marketing
Not true.
>Enginerring
Fair enough.
>Design
Depends on what you're designing.
>Game Development

Does it really though? The main purpose of an operating system is running applications, which is a bit difficult to do when there are none to run.

Adobe After Effects

Forget Linux, even OSX is deprecated. We had a dumb bitch in our office who bought a Macbook Air. She could not connect to our office WiFi or access any of the printers. Apparently OSX versions matters and can only work with specific older printers.

Let's face it, in practical life outside of CS, every industry runs Windows on their front end systems.

Professional league of legends player.