twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1440p 144hz with freesync or gsync

It's much harder to find wallpapers for 21:9

>resolution vs aspect ratio
I think you might be retarded

/thread

1920x1080 for life

you're a fucking idiot kill yourself now holy shit

I wish Nvidia would just use freesync so I don't need to lock myself into one ecosystem

1:1

4K but bigger than that. 40 inches or so. so I get the width and the height.

40"+ 4K screen.

Then you can just play in a 21:9 ratio resolution as well.

Best choice.

I am working on 2 1080p at my job.
I have one 1080p at my home but I want a second or third monitor as well for programming.

What are you recommend Sup Forums?

No gaymen or videos or anything but I would really like to work on a bigger interface like a 4k or 2*4k and this little 1080p.

THIS

None.

Anything beyond 1920x1080 16:9 it's objectively unnecessary.

21:9 every time. When 4K 21:9 and 8K 16:9 are the norm, I will still pick 21:9.

This

For me it is justified.
When I am working and need one browser open for UI and another for searching and a debug window and some shell window.

What is 21:9 like user

it’s not a Retina™ Macbook™Pro™ so who gives a shit about your dumb tech

It's great for movies, and the extra real estate is rad for drawing because I can easily have a reference open up without losing space on the canvas.

Obv 4K will be better productivity-wise because of the sheer amount of pixels, but 21:9 is such a nice middle ground for everything else. Great for media, great for gaming (easier to run and you get to see more), good for productivity. It's basically a multi monitor set up without the bezels.

I don't think I'd like it at 2560x1080 but 3440x1440 is where 21:9 starts to shine.

8:5 1200p

This. Waiting on 144hz 40inch 4k screens hopefully in thr next 3 years. Then ill upgrade. Should last a decade. Ideally some manufacturer will allow me to have gsync + freesync too.

>40inch 4k
are you one of those people that didn't get the rMBP's advantage when it was first announced?

Wat.

4k is 2x 1080p.
you get a 24" 4k monitor and scale everything to 2x. everything remains the same size (see Fitts' Law; no, seriously, don't reply until you've read the first paragraph on wikipedia), but you get much sharper text, UI elements, etc...

a 40" 4k display is just a TV that you're using as a computer monitor.

>just a tv

No.

Dell P4317Q

Philips Brilliance BDM4350UC

So true. But never gsync.

I understand that the specs differentiate it from a TV, but 40 inches is pretty squarely in the territory of televisions.

the resolution is unneeded.

a 1440p 27" OLED HDR freesync monitor and i will never upgrade again

pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up3017q-4k-uhd-oled-monitor/

Size doesn't change what it is, knuckledragger.
Just like your micropenis, just because it's less than an inch erect doesn't mean it's a clit.

before we address your amazingly epic ad hominem, did you read about fitts' law or did you just drop a kneejerk reaction of a shitpost because someone had an opinion you didn't like?

He's right, though. 40 inch monitors are fucking retarded

Left

high ppi 4k, it's what I'm using. I prefer it over my 144hz monitor.

this. i have a pair of 4k 24" monitors. wouldn't exchange them for anything.

16:10 but 4k in width

we're clearly choosing between two existing options. this isn't "contrive something that you'd like".

Holy fuck.

It's literally everything I've wanted for so long. Even a glossy screen.

I don't buy many things so I might actually be able to buy it for that price.

Explain to me why ppi isn't the selling point of monitors instead of resolutions

what are you talking about?

because 1080p full hd was hyped to no end and consumers are dumb idiots that just want bigger numbers.
who cares about 150 ppi when 4K has a bigger number

150 ppi is a bigger number than 92 ppi though, and it's more relevant in getting a clear picture instead of saying "this is 1080p" or "4k". No matter the size if you say it's x ppi you'll get a better understanding of how clear it is.

you know what drives me insane about this panel?

it drives by a single usb-c connection alone, video and power transmission

for a long time we were struggling just to manufacture displays as large as 1920x1200 across 24 or even 27".

if you're wondering what kick started the interest in high pixel density displays in desktop environments, then... take a guess

sure, but 92 ppi was never advertised, so the average consumer doesn't even know what that means. i think you're overestimating non tech savvy consumers. remember when cpu's were all about 'more gigahertz'?

you'd have to come up with some fancy name (like retina display) and hype the shit out of it to get consumers interested in higher ppi.

Wait, power as well??

Dude fucking what.

I saw that it needs usb-c for 120hz.

How little power does it draw?

I want off this stagnation ride

>$5000
>30 inches

in what way is it stagnated?

usb-c is able to have a poweroutput of 100watt at 20volt.

considering that an old 144hz panel like benq xl2411z consumes an average of 22watts on 80% brightness settings, an oled panel which is obviously more efficient probably consumes even less

i mean even smartphone 4k screens exist so i don't actually see this as a problem

it's the first announcement ever of a 4k monitor which is fantastic. oled manufacteurers from all over the world will soon hop on the bandwagon soon. hell i'd be even pleased if we just god quantum dot monitors already with those kind of specifications

1360x768 is the standard.

even the P2415Q only takes 90W at max, and it's not an especially efficient monitor (it's better than the UP2414q, but that thing is ridiculous).

you could probably power most monitors these days with USB 3.1 (if someone could be bothered to retrofit a monitor).

it's a shame manufacturers are so lazy.

I've never heard that in my life and I certainly wouldn't agree with it now in 2016.

>I don't know so it can't be true

no, i'm saying that nobody has ever said that 1360x768 is the standard, nor is it the standard now.

just because nobody talks about it doesn't mean that the most common resolution used is that because of people using old as shit laptops/macbooks

2K and 4k are a meme for monitors 24" or under

is there evidence of that in this thread that i'm overlooking? why did you direct your comment to those two posts if you were responding to something else?

i'm looking at some random commonly accessed pages' statistics and displays larger than 1080p constitute more than 30% of traffic. 1920x1080 constitutes like 18% of hits, and 1366x768 represents about 35%. it has a plurality, but "standard" is more than a small stretch.

next time at least qualify your initial comment with "de facto" or something. and for that matter, say more than like 5 fucking words. i'm sick of trying to pry details out of vague bitchy comments like yours.

Learning to not get offended or take things personal will help you in your online endeavors

Make one yourself in photoshop, how hard can it be? Just a colored background and a slight color gradient.

nothing in my post suggested that i was offended or that i took anything personally. if you're reading that, it's something you're bringing to this. i just offered that i'm sick of dealing with idiots who complain something short and meaningless like "I'm sick of this stagnation", thus forcing everyone to dig for more information to keep a conversation going.

Forgot to mention alpha.wallhaven.cc

would still be 4k

>not HDR
>only 120Hz

atchualy, an oled monitor is more than hdr capable.

hdr basically means extendet contrast ratio in the content itself.

they just made it a marketing buzzname to become a standard to settle for

My god that shit is disgusting.

/Thread

4:3 master race.

>Falling for the greater than 60hz meme

this nigga gets it.

Where can I buy one?

go 16:10 and get a 30inch 2560x1600

so you didn't understand the question.

1920x1200 @144hz

120hz is best hz because 60 and 24 both go into it evenly. It has a refreshing lack of judder for media use.

Ok maybe im retarded but how does 24 go evenly into 120? I thought for media 144 was better since movies and stuff are 24fps and that *6 is 144. How is 60 relevant?

>being a mouthbreathing retard

Both are meme resolutions.

5*20 = 100
5 *4 = 20
100+20 = 120

for you my tard

21:9 changed my life looks like your in the cockpit of a plane

4:3 dummy

21:9 without a doubt.

4k makes pictures sharp, but enjoy your improperly scaled fonts (yes, I know you can fix that via settings for your screen, but that's not the point)

21:9 delivers field of view.

do non-korean monitors overclock?

Is there any website that sells cheap monitors, I am not looking for anything fancy just something to use as my 2nd monitor.

>people actually believe 60hz is good enough

I like the concept of 21:9, but the support isn't there for it yet and the amount of content you can play on it isn't great.

For work or videos? It is excellent. For games? Not so much. I am kind of hoping that 21:9 becomes the next big thing for TVs so we start to see more support for it.

21:9 for my work station
4K for gaming

Retard

I bought a 21:9 monitor and sure, it's great for a few things

But I like higher resolutions better.

So outrageously overpriced; I would love one for browsing and shit but I don't see myself shelling out $1500 for one. It's clearly not targeted at consumers at all.

The only thing I would be worried about is that PC ports almost never have good resolution options to begin with, and I'm already annoyed at how 16:9-only games have black bars on my 16:10 screen

I already did choose. 4K or bust.

Have you ever used Photoshop at 120hz?
Shits so cash

>tfw you bought nvidia
>tfw you want a 1440p 144hz
>tfw you don't want to buy nvidia gpus ever again
Why is life so cruel now I've got to wait 10 more years for when I upgrade my card again

with freesync* too
I'm autistic retard

You could buy gsync. What's the problem user?

I have an 21:9 monitor and i love it.
Wouldnt want to go back to 16:9

You can just use the monitor without FreeSync
Thanks to AMD's top tier "gaming evolved" technology, you can only use Freesync up to 90hz