/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post simple questions here, before posting go check the catalog, the wiki etc.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can arch be installed on a thinkpad R30?
Its got a 1ghz pentium 3, 1gb of ram, an 8mb video card and a 3.8gb hard drive.

I want to install CDE to ironically shitpost as if it was 1997.

is the new Sup Forums addon a botnet? what is zeroproxy?

What is the best career path in IT for a 25 year old, ex-NEET without any manifest experience?

sure you can
happy shitposting

suicide

Any guesses for the gtx 1060/1050 filling the void of the gtx 750ti for prebuilt fags like me who have a low power PSU without any 6/8 pin connectors?

Been running my 750ti perfectly fine for 2 years now, looking to upgrade to a 1050/1060 when they come out.

How much does GPU clock speed mean?

I'm currently browsing a card to replace my it-was-outdated-when-I-bought-it-in-2010 card, and cards in the similar price range have barely higher clock rate.

Probably not for quite a while

Clock speed is only good for comparing GPUs of the same type, if you want to compare different cards look at benchmarks.

I just flashed my BIOS and I've completely forgot what settings are best for overclocking

I was running 4.4ghz at 1.24v on a 4690k before, can anyone give me the basic rundown on what shit to change in the bios for optimal overclocking and minimal bullshittery?

Ignore specs entirely, look at real world benchmarks.

Just look up "gtx 970 benchmarks" on Google and see how it compares to other games.

thanks, will do.

I want to learn C. Where do I start? Any good resource you guys would like to recommend?

K&R C is where you should begin. Learn the basics, syntax, pointers etc.

When you learned the language itself, then you can move to different APIs depending on your needs (WIN32, posix, opengl, gtk etc) and learn those to create useful programs.

Where can I download Win 10 Enterprise LTSB N?

It's not here is it? microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Is it this?

Why is there one Cyanogenmod per machine while there is only one x86 Debian ?

I have an AMD FX 3850 cpu and an AMD R9 380 video card.

I want to upgrade to Intel and Nvidia after falling for the AMD price to performance meme.

What should I upgrade to for a good mixture of price and performance. I'm not looking for top of the line nor am I looking for bottom of the line.

How do I generate 32-bit random numbers in C? I'm trying to generate random pixel noise in SDL, but calls to rand() only gives blueish-green pixels (so assuming largest value is around 0x0000FFFF?).

Any ideas?

Is opening up and cleaning out your laptop as straightforward as people would have you think?
I can tell it needs some cleaning from the inside out and not just air through the vents, but have been nervous about doing it.

I know there are a million tutorials on how-to.

How much is RX 490 gonna cost?

tree fiddy

PC was fine, today, won't boot. No POST, fans, PSU noise, nothing. Leads from case to mobo such as the power switch are fine.

What to try? I dont have any backup PSUs at the moment. anyone have that flowchart for troubleshooting?

Budget is everything

Fully specced Dell R910 for $400, is it worth?

The stakes are a little higher than a desktop, but not too high.

Cleaning is not too hard, just don't go disassembling shit you don't know.

What's a good opensores imageboard? I want to play around with making a site not dissimilar to Sup Forums.

wakaba

Im mega confused,why the fuck is there an external compressor,isnt there like one in condenser already?
Pic related

Windows 8 or 8.1? I have classic shell installed and obviously I only want it for gayming and shitposting while Alt+Tabbing.

Fuck me if I know but this image made me lose my shit hard.

10. if you really don't want to then 8.1.
why would someone not install the updates, I don't get it.

>why would someone not install spyware, I don't get it.
user, reinstall Common Sense 2016. It seems to be corrupted.

No, I just don't understand.
When windows 8 came out I hated it.
But then I used it for like a week and it made sense and was very usable.
But people kept complaining about things they never tried.
This goes for every update, every time people complain about something so small and insignificant.
I fucking hate people.

I fell for the DSLR meme and want to sell it and buy a new smartphone with a camera better or as good as Nikon D3000. Any suggestions? I only want prepaid stuff like the Kyocera Hydro.

Windows 7 or linux

I see you didn't refuted the spyware point. Obviously. I also hate people. At least the dumber ones.

I'm dual booting. Why W7 over 8/8.1? I have 8 now. The question is to update or not.

>spyware
oh come on now.
in times where people post every detail of how their shit on the toilet flushed down on social media this one of the least problems.

Hey guys, I was recently given a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 for free today. I'm debating keeping it, but I know for sure I want to reinstall the OS since it's probably bloated from the previous user. Should I just pirate windows xp and reinstall that or should I try out Linux?

If I go with the Linux route, what would be the best distro for it? It's an Intel Atom N450 with 1.66 GHz and 1 gig of ram if that helps with the linux distro recommendations at all.

>toilet
Ah, I see you know the West's customs, my Indian microshill.

Let me stomp on your weak argument: I don't post on social media.

then you probably are not using their shitty cloud services, so your files aren't getting uploaded anyway.
spyware case closed?

If you think you can disable the spyware (all of it) on Windows 10, you're either delusional or you get rupees per shitpost.

That's besides the point. Saying "I'm going to throw a curve ball to everybody, but you can dodge it if you know your shit, so is no big deal" is like saying "I'm going to fuck in the ass to every person who isn't able to dodge this ball".

Fuck M$.

Install Vista then, W7+ got all your "spyware" updates.
Or install ubuntu, then all you have to disable is the amazon spyware.

So I reset my android phone and it turns out the sd is no longer accessible. Wat do? I need my memeries Sup Forums

You can uninstall the spyware updates on W7/8/8.1. Good luck doing that on W10.
>Ubuntu.
Well memed, my friend. What time is in India now?

should be fine, the i686 release/packages should work down to the pentium pro (not the original pentium or pentium mmx though, as they're i586)

a 1GHz p3 with 1G ram should still be somewhat comfortable to use with little compromise
i'd highly recommend swapping the hdd with a CF card or similar though

Is the Intel Core i3-6100 okay for gaming even though it is a 2 core processor? Should I get an i5 instead?

Do what my daughter always tell me. "Take it out." Then jam it back again.

depends on the game

970 and 1060 are not much of an upgrade so the only option is 1070 and any haswell or better k i5
or just don't be retarded and wait for zen and 4xx

it's 17:30 here, not sure what you got against india though.

I have an Indian friend and several acquaintances, so nothing against it, just MS shilling and downplaying the violation of basic civil liberties.

Nice timezone.
GMT+1 huh,hi Europe.

I don't have an external hard drive any more but plenty of DVDs. Is the some commands I can use to transfer the content of a full partition (data only) to said DVDs and get prompted to insert the next one or is a pipe dream and I have to do it manually one by one?

I'll be running Linux through LiveUSB.

you agreed to it by installing. might as well just not use computers.

Hey Sup Forums, does this sound like a good PC build?
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake
GPU: Nvidia 8GB GTX1080 Founders Edition
Mainboard: MSI Z170-A PRO
Power Supply: 730 Watt 14cm FAN Thermaltake 87+
Case: Cobra RED Edition USB3.0

That should be enough for gayming, emulation and video editing, right?

>Android emulator is for personal use only without licensing
How is it possible for the company to know if I were to use it for professional gain?

where are the SSDs

>you agreed to it by installing.
My laptop came with this shit preinstalled. Fuck off.

>might as well just not use computers.
KEK. Eat shit.

You agreed to it by buying a laptop with it preinstalled

Yeah, because Microsoft doesn't strongarm every fucking laptop manufactured to offer only laptops with windows preinstalled by threatening to increase the license price and fuck them in the ass.

Get your shilling elsewhere, faggot. You're not fooling anyone.

Just recently they found a backdoor in some laptops, isn't that a problem?
Can you avoid it? No, it seems not, so why care about "spyware" you know is there.

>KEK. Eat shit.
Great response, user.

>Just recently they found a backdoor in some laptops, isn't that a problem?
What are you rambling about?
>Can you avoid it? No, it seems not, so why care about "spyware" you know is there.
Maybe I should put a gun inside your bowels and repeat what you just said. You know it's there, so why care about it?

And sorry. I meant eat POO. Though given how all you speak is shit it won't be surprising if you already did it. A shitpost doesn't deserve a well structured answer. Just another shitpost.

okay. We agree to not agree with each other.

i installed a dds plugin for photoshop cs3 and enabled plugins in preferences, but when i try to open one it says it can't. i restarted photoshop and restarted my computer but neither of those worked.
what do i do?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive C:
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card
Case: Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Zalman SF2 92mm Fan
How shit is my build? i'm still deciding what ssd to buy to replace my old Sata 2 C:
Whats the best ssd for cheap? Samsung 850 EVO right?

My old pc has a c2d E7400, 4gb of ram and a radeon 4670 that is giving out and annoys the hell out of me. I can get a 6950 for 60 eurobucks. I use it mostly for old games and newer ones on low settings and does its job fine. Should I go for it?

1. Does KODI with Exodus and Phoenix work in a way similar to Popcorn Time such that I can be sent a letter for using it?

2. Can someone link me a step by step guide for idiots for setting up a VNC + OpenVPN or SSH thing to replace TeamViewer?

>pipe dream
oh, achieving this will certainly involve the use of unix pipes

i have a few ideas on how you could achieve this, i'm looking into it now

basically i'm thinking;
- start tar and have it output to a FIFO
- stream-record 4.7GB at a time from the FIFO
tar has multi-volume support, which might help here, but i haven't used it, so i'm still reading up on it
it should be possible to make a script which does exactly what you ask (run near automatically with just a prompt between discs)

Doesn't work, I should also mention that my pc can't access it either

Exodus and Phoenix are illegal and you shouldn't be breaking the law.

In the UK, what is the best mobile network?

Is it a good time to build a new pc now, or is there something good about to be released in the near future that would make waiting worthwhile?
My budget is about €900, so I'm not exactly looking for the next Titan, or whatever.

Sup Forums approved vpn's?

pls halp me Sup Forums

I wrote this script that converts images into webms:
for %%f IN (*.png) do (
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i "%%~nf.png" -an -c:v libvpx -qmin 16 -qmax 16 -quality best -threads 4 -t 2 -r 1 "%%~nf.webm"
)&for %%f IN (*.jpg) do (
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i "%%~nf.jpg" -an -c:v libvpx -qmin 16 -qmax 16 -quality best -threads 4 -t 2 -r 1 "%%~nf.webm"
)
pause

It works fine when there are multiple files inside the directory but if i put a single image and run the script no conversion takes place. How can I fix that?

Depends on the laptop.
Brand laptops tend to be kinds difficult to open, because you have to remove a lot of screws and stuff like your keyboard. As you said, though, there are a ton of guides, so it's hard to screw up.
The cleaning part is easy: get a can of pressurized air and blow air from the inside out to blow the dust away. If you want to be meticulous, you can also remove the coolers and clean them individually, but not too necessary imo.
Tl;dr look up how to open up your laptop and if you think you can do it, just do it; get a can of compressed air and blow away the dust. That's it.

I recently inherited a Bose wave 3, and it's pretty great sound wise, but the only problem is that everything on DAB is garbage. So I have the option of CDs (which I have a lot of, but they're single albums not mixes) or using my phone through aux. What's the best way of getting a lot of music on shuffle? I doubt a cd could hold more than 20 tracks, I'd rather have a couple hundred and shuffle between them like on my phone, but then I would have to go over to it every time I wanted to switch track.

Can I use a floor vacuum with a precision attachment?

How to a create a bootable image to update a BIOS? I'm using FreedDOS on Rufus, but gives me an error saying that the image is not supported.

can't you update through the bios directly? most should offer that.

Nope, not sure if I can.

gradle or maven for simple java projects?
I don't think i'm going to need advanced script, so they both do what i need them to do, manage the dependencies of my projects. Any reasons to choose one over the other?

>inb4 "x is shit"
Please elaborate

What are some chill irc channels I can hang around casually?

Having irc friends sounds comfy but last time I tried hanging with cool kids I never fit in so every time I spoke it was awkward. I just lurked until someone insulted me when I logged in so I left.

Feels bad

How would i reencode videos from 24 fps to 60 fps? I've tried various options in handbrake, but nothing results with it being 60fps.

whenever I look at the GPU, every sapphire GPU cost 30 - 50€ less than the other brands. I'm not interested by buying a GPU, I'm part of the waitfags. Also, they often provide a OC version.
How do they manage to be cheaper than the other brands ? what's the trick ?

ffmpeg -r 60

Dosent do anything

>How do they manage to be cheaper than the other brands ? what's the trick ?
worse/cheaper cooler

I don't believe you

I got a GTX 750Ti currently. I got 350€ to spend. Should I upgrade and to what?

>He can't take the bantz

1070 maybe, 480 if you don't want to spend as much.

If I'm building a second PC in a room separate from my main PC with the router and modem, how would I hook up the 2nd one? Wiring wouldn't work because it's too far away, what other options are there?

Why does changing the volume on my soundcards audio center also change the volume on the system slider and how do I make it stop doing that?

I have a 6700k but I can hardly break 40% utilization. Are there any scientific programs I can use that need beefy CPUs while also being educational at the same time? Like molecular simulation of common hormones and such maybe? What do you use your CPUs for?

All it does is speed it up, aka not 60fps,just doubling.
A real encode accounts for this, and adds extra frames to fill in the gaps.I have videos sourced from 24fps to 60.Its as smooth as if it was shot in 60 native.

Wireless or powerline adapter

Why would it use a different slider for the system volume?

System OS: Win 8.1
1. Restart my computer
2. Open IE and Taskmgr
3. An UAC suddenly pop up
4. UAC ask me do I want to run explorer.exe
5. File source for the program in Appdata→Temp
6. Press No
7. the UAC reappear again in a second before I can do anything
8. Step 3-7 keep repeating itself
9. Thus can't use the computer now.

What is that explorer.exe? How to stop that without pressing yes? And can I actually press yes?

>Why would it use a different slider for the system volume?
I saw a YouTube video of someone with the same soundcard. He recommended having the soundcard set to 100 volume, and then changing the system volume to your liking.

What about a router bridge?

It's malware. Boot into safe mode and disable its autostart entry. Download autoruns from sysinternals. You do this buy opening up task manager and ctrl+run (or file->run) c:\windows\explorer.exe or file->open->navigate to browser etc

Is it okay to defrag an SSD if it's like over 50%?

If not, why?