/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Latest Apple iPhone 7 Plus rumors call for 3GB of RAM, 256GB of internal storage and more
phonearena.com/news/Latest-Apple-iPhone-7-Plus-rumors-call-for-3GB-of-RAM-256GB-of-internal-storage-and-more_id81829

>Another batch of OnePlus 3 live images surfaces online
gsmarena.com/another_batch_of_oneplus_3_live_images_surfaces_online-news-18634.php

>Sony Xperia X camera overheats on video nearly one year after the Xperia Z3+ snapper gets hot
phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-X-camera-overheats-on-video-nearly-one-year-after-the-Xperia-Z3-snapper-gets-hot_id81836

>Major OnePlus 3 leak found on Oppomart; 6 variants of the phone coming
phonearena.com/news/Major-OnePlus-3-leak-found-on-Oppomart-6-variants-of-the-phone-coming_id81831

>OnePlus 3 Scores Well on Latest Geekbench Benchmark Test
gizmochina.com/2016/06/05/oneplus-3-scores-well-latest-geekbench-benchmark-test/

>Huawei is making another Nexus this year, exec says
gsmarena.com/huawei_is_making_another_nexus_this_year_exec_says-news-18616.php

>Samsung Galaxy Note 6/7 tipped to launch in August first week
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_6_7_tipped_to_launch_in_august_first_week-news-18594.php

Other urls found in this thread:

willmyphonework.net
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/rom-qualcomm-base-rom-redmi-note-3-pro-t3346350
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656
phonearena.com/phones/size
kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphone-prices
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-review-1411p6.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

NEED A NEW EMERGENCY PHONE

which is better, Samsung Galaxy express 3 or Asus Zenphone 2

First for S7!

Need new phone

Specs by priority:
5-5.2"
LTE band 20 (800) for muh european carriers
2-3GB RAM
Good battery life
Price under 250€, used is ok, 2014 phones are ok
MicroSD
Full HD screen

What I don't want:
Sony Z series: Tiniest crack in digitizer means unusable phone, replacing screens on these is ass

Asus Zenphone 2 by far.

Who's getting the Z2.

Is it a shit made by Lenovo, or actually worth getting?

I'd go the Asus.

Oneplux X or Redmi 3.

I want to get get chinked, Xiaomi redmi 2 pro is a good start?

>Oneplux X
user in other thread said shitty battery life
>Redmi 3
no LTE in Europe on all Xiaomi phones

Is there a way (app/root or otherwise) of changing the recent app menu of a Samsung to make it more like the simple list of stock android?

I really don't like shuffling card deck function they have but it looks like I'll be getting an S7 to replace my current nexus.

No, it's too old by now. Redmi 3 / 3 Pro are quite cheap.

>willmyphonework.net
check which one will work best

I'm pretty sure the redmi is faster. The OPX has a processor from like 2-3 years ago.

Vernee Thor? good cheap chink from /csg/. why not 5.5" though?

Not available in my 3rd world shithole.

Eh it uses the same card stack recent as stock. Only difference is the clear all button at the bottom.

Order from Aliexpress? delivery takes time but it's usually free.

>The OPX has a processor from like 2-3 years ago.
OPX has the 801, same as Z2, totally enough for me
>why not 5.5" though?
My current Sony Z2 with its 5.2" already feels a bit too big, but I will take a look at the actual measurements

Well at that price you can get G3, S5, or chinkshit.

>Eh it uses the same card stack recent as stock
Ah, I haven't updated my nexus in a while; still have the simple and quick functioning list.

A mistake to change that in marshmellow IMO.

Is the redmi note 3 pro really that good? Why is MIUI listed as a pro? I just want something that will give me great battery life, good updates, expandable storage, and a finger print reader. After years of being a Samshill, I've come to detest anything that isn't near-stock android.

Should I just wait for the moto G4 plus for actual support, reliable updates, stock, and cases?

Nexus 5x 16gb for £175 - good deal, anons?

It has very good specs for the money. SD650, 3GB RAM, 4100 mAh battery, SD slot, fingerprint reader etc.

If you hated touchwizz though you'll hate MiUi, it's an iOS clone that doesn't resemble stock android in any way. but you can flash AOSP or CM13 if your'e into that.

You won't get any better for that price. Just make sure you can be okay with only 10gb of free space.

Do the roms have any issues? I know people will often times experience weird quirks or lack of functionality from their fingerprint readers when using cyanogen and whatnot.

I'm reading anandtech's review for the Sony X right now, and the redmi note 3 pro is consistently in the middle of the pack for every benchmark test, even though it costs like 180-220 USD, which is insane.

The only downsides are bad camera and it doesnt have band support for everything under the sun

I struggle mightily with 16gbs and no SD card on my moto x. But if that doesn't bother you, that's an amazing deal.

I know that happens with Samsung units, because of their proprietary frameworks that govern their hardware.
Lurk some XDA ROM forums and see if people have issues with specific ROMs first.

The AOSP rom is made by Qualcomm, but the fingerprint does not work.
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/rom-qualcomm-base-rom-redmi-note-3-pro-t3346350

It does on CM13 though
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656

So i wanna spend ~500 pounds for a new phone.
I never had a phone except old nokia,now that amazon uk delivers s7 to my country should i spend an extra 50 pounds for edge?
Also ,what color would you say looks best?
im thinking silver>gold>black.

Same here, just slightly different:
4.8-5.2"
Price

>edge

Do you ever find yourself seeing the side of the screen and not the screen itself? If not then it's just a more fragile product.

Fell for the RedMeme Pro

Becareful when you get it.

>> Impatient so I 'unofficially unlock' bootloader
>> Flash TWRP - works
>> Flash Customer ROM - works
>> "Oh hey user use this ROM"
>> Device bricks
>> Won't boot to EDL
>> Start researching on wtf to do
>> Exploring all the depths of the MIUI/XIAOMI forums
>> Something about 'testpoint' unbrick method
>> End up spending 6 hours taking this fucking this apart and finally nigger rigging it with a twist tie from bunny bread.
>> Keep missing trying to 'touch' these two microscopic dots together to bypass some bootloader locked bullshit and get in EDL mode.
>> MFW it works and windows finds the proper driver
>> Flash Global ROM, doesn't work. MiFlash freezes up keeps Force closing
>> more googling
>> find beta version of MiFlash
>> Finally it fucking works
>> Put device back together
>> 5 minutes later receive text from XIAOMI saying my device request for bootloader unlock has been approved.

Seriously what the actual fuck. I should have stopped at about hour 2 and 16 forum pages in. Was thinking about writing up a tutorial for XDA but who the fuck is going to read it. Just becareful user, and be patient for that Unlock before you do anything stupid.

One thing I found out while browsing and reading recommendations: Don't go just by screen diameter, check the actual dimensions of the phone (if you have a reference phone). Sony Z2 (5.2") and LG G3 (5.5") are actually only 1mm on each side apart..

bought an S7 edge on ebay and it'll get here in 3 days. I feel like I shouldve bought the regular one at a t-mobile store bc of warranty. Can I still get warranty on ebay phones? I got the international version of the s7 edge.

Beautiful, thanks anons.

You should still get a 1 year warranty with Samsung international. How easy it'd be to claim I can't say.

>chinkshit
How can you even fall for this. It looks cheap and flimsy, even the logo is ugly; the firmware is ugly as well as malware-ridden, the video samples from its camera on youtube are godawful. Buying a phone just because the SoC is more or less decent is stupid.

HTC10 or S7?

do you perefer camera, audio or are you clumsy?

>Clumsy and audio
HTC10
>Camera and performance
S7

A lot of stuff I'm seeing on the HTC 10 looks bad (compared to the S7)
So it comes down to preference. You can't unlock the S7 in the US, where the 10 has V4A out.
But if you want the best hardware then the S7. Software, the 10.

thoughts on the blackberry priv?

Will zenfone 3 ultra be worth it?
I essentially need a tablet, but no one makes good tablet anymore.

Is this a becoming a new copypasta?

I'm also interested. Sick of software keyboards and can't face the OS of the Blackberry Passport.

You won't slide It up anymore after two months

Screen to body ratio.
The X is 69%, the G3, 75%

It's because the huge bezels on the X.

>only used dumbphones
>want to experience a smartphone

best one for

Mi5 or Mi4c.

>shitty pasta
>being a retard who couldn't wait to get unlock code
Fuck off, retard.

Sure, but screen diameter usually gives you a good idea about the size, whether it should be small or big.
I don't have a special preferrence about size in mm, but let's say 4.8-5.2 with a screen to body ratio of >=70%.
Know what i mean?

Can I get some sample pics taken with the redmeme?
I'm struggling to see any downsides besides having to fuck around with the ROMs and shit

If its the Exynos S7 audio is comparable, unless you meant through speakers

You don't need sample pics. the camera is shit, even for chink standards.

To add on to phonearena.com/phones/size
Really good site for comparing phone sizes, can calibrate it to be 1:1 scaling too

Will the Oneplus 3 have an AMOLED screen? I've seen some sources that says it will and some say it won't. Currently debating between that or the Zuk Z2 when they get released.

Britfag looking for a new phone
What's the best on the market currently? Anything releasing soon that I may as well wait for?

Many looking for nice aesthetics and best camera. Lack of bloat would be nice too

S7E.

>all these brand new LG G5's on swappa for $450 or less
>want to buy but know like any LG phone it'll be in the $300 range in no time

I totally know, I'm searching for something similar but everything is lacking SOMETHING

Veneer Thor: no notification LED (lol)
Meizu, Huwawei: No custom ROMs (thanks Mediatek)
Xiaomi: no yurop LTE

I might ditch my LTE requirement and get a Xiaomi, sell that when I find something else. Fed up with my broken Z2

Ulefone Power.

S7/ Edge

So does Z3 compact have band 12 or is it possible to enable it?

Anyone own the Zuk Z2 pro?

the Honor 5x could be something for you, but it's 5'5"
Honor 7 is also quite nice and 5'2", but it costs around 300€ and it'd be a better advice to wait on the upcoming Honor 8(also apparently 5'2")

LG will be releasing a new device in a few months and the G5 will be cheaper. Just wait

What's the Sony Xperia X and Huawei P9 like?

>Sony Xperia X
Shit.

>Huawei P9
OK.

So is
>S7 is the bestest!

a true meme or just a meme-meme parroted by everyone and their gay mothers?

>everything is lacking SOMETHING
Know that feel. RN3P looks fantastic, but 5.5", LTE is in question and you'll have to pay 20€ for shipping and 19% on top of it, which makes it less of a bang for buck option.

>Vernee Thor
MediaTek, mediocore cam, not full HD and i'm willing to pay more.

>Meizu
Idk, i think meizu is just Xiaomi but worse.

>Huawei
Don't really care about ROMs that much. Yes it's nice, but not a must have. The P9 Lite looks great, but imo it's to expensive for what it offers if you compare it to other chink phones

I'd really like the OPX, simply change the cpu to SD650, give it a bigger battery like 3500mAh and sell it for 300€. Perfect phone.

I want the latest android and usb 3 type-c
what's the cheapest?

It's true, at least for the international version. Fastest SoC available with stellar battery life, water proof, micro sd support and all the other good stuff.

Both look good, but will the Mi4c get Adroid 6.x?
And will the Mi5 give my headphones enough power? I read that the output is only 0.18V or so, which is very low.

>and usb 3 type-c
Why?

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphone-prices

Put your filters in here and search for a good chink.

There isn't much memes here. You can easily look that up m8.

autism

>but will the Mi4c get Adroid 6.x?
Pretty sure it will, MiUi 8 is based on Android 6 and it should come out soon.

The Xiaomi Mi 5 delivered great audio output when hooked up to an active external amplifier. The flagship was not only able to match the best for clarity, it also delivered splendidly high volume for arguably the best performance among the 2016 flagships so far.

>And will the Mi5 give my headphones enough power? I read that the output is only 0.18V or so, which is very low.
From gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-review-1411p6.php
:
>Stereo crosstalk was the only reading to be affected when headphones came into play and the increase was rather well contained. The rest of the readings remained unchanged and so did loudness for a truly impressive showing.

s7 vs s7 edge
worth ~40-55 pounds extra for the edge option?

edge has good battery life but the edge screen is pretty cancerous to hold and has no purpose other than looking cool

>when hooked up to an active external amplifier
Which is practically worthless. I won't carry a portable amp with me.

Not to mention will cost exponentially more than the standard one to repair/replace if it breaks.
S7's battery isn't bad. The E has a larger capacity but its screen is larger.

Get HTC 10 if your'e so concerned with audio quality.

Sup Sup Forums
Should i get the Samsung S7 or the Sony Z5 premium? I've narrowed my choices down to this two and I'm leaning towards the S7 due to dat display

S7 by far.

S7 battery is excellent.

non removable tho

have fun in a year and a half when the battery starts shitting itself

My Moto E comes with this noise cancelling feature, but nowhere to activate it. Anyone got any idea about it?

Well then, S7 it is. thanks for replying mate.

I won't buy a 700€ flagship as a work / communication device and media player / camera.
Max. 300€ is a reasonable price for standard usage with some requirements like mine.

Oneplus 2.

shills everywhere

the battery difference is kinda minimal,i mean i aint going to spend 50 pounds for 8 hours instead of 7.
The thing im interested is the screen.

>OP2
>5.5"
>SD810
>costs more than 300
Why on earth?

Unrelated but it's the 7th time today recaptcha wants me to select all pics with "gras".
Does recaptcha want to tell me something?

You're better off with a Chinese device or a moto g than a ON2. Never heard a positive thing about it

It costs more to repair, protectors don't fit it,and it's functionally rather useless.
The only reason anyone would need to have is for the larger screen, in which case they should just get a note

how much should i be looking to spend on a new lg g3?

You shouldn't.

why not?

Because it's a 2 year old device with a $180 price tag. ain't worth it.